Grigori Efimovich Rasputin (1869-1916)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'll post a link when it's ready Still writing it
To those of you that are laughing now Please don't judge before you see the result

I wasn't laughing at you; instead, I thought your comment about reading your book and becoming wiser was a little smug. But I will keep an open mind and look forward to reading your account and discovering who your sources are.

Anne, do you have a publisher and an anticipated completion date?

You have to trust me My book is worth the anticipation
I have had many discussions with publishers I can't say more
The right time will come
I'm writing another one about the last Romanovs I want to publish it in 2018
100 years after their assassination

Anne, forgive me, but all this cloak and dagger stuff seems a bit over the top. If your book is predicated on your family's oral history and traditions, it's hardly likely that some other author will be able to steal your work, unless it's someone within your own family.

May I ask if you've published anything previously about the Imperial family or any of their retainers, so that we might read it whilst awaiting the Rasputin book? As to your proposed book on the Imperial family that you plan to publish in 2018, all I can say is that is eight years from now, and much can occur between now and then.

No the Rasputin book will be my first
Enough with the questions and indiscretion I told you I can't say more right now
Please be discreet and polite
And patient

Are you saying your book on Rasputin will be published soon, but the proposed book on the Romanovs will not be released until 2018? Forgive me, but your lack of any confirmatory details (such as family members worked for the royal family, were members of the royal family, I am descended from Rasputin, etc) lead me to believe you are dissembling. I hope I am being polite, there is no need for me to be discreet but I will admit to being impatient.

And who are you? Do you know me? How come you demand answers?
Learn some good manners first How rude of you to talk like that to a total stranger

I won't accept any further questions or snide remarks
I will never come back here to discuss with you

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous:
I do apologise for meddling, but a promotion of a supposedly sensational book is not exactly polite. Rasputin was an odiously controversial man, who might have possessed a healing power to alleviate Tsarevich Alexei's sufferings and who did contribute to the Romanovs' demise. It might be fair to presume that some people took a liking to Rasputin for whatever good qualities he might have had. At the same time, I am not sure what new can be revealed about him. Furthermore, Pikul and Radzinski did a wonderful job analysing factual materials about the aforementioned individual.

And who are you? Do you know me? How come you demand answers?
Learn some good manners first How rude of you to talk like that to a total stranger

I'm sorry, Anne, but no one is or has been rude to you. You simply cannot expect to make such provocative and cryptic statements without being asked questions about them. This is true, especially as you say your book is based on family oral history or traditions, both of which are subject to misunderstanding, mutations and error.

You must understand that most of us interested in Russia's Imperial family are accustomed to books that clearly cite source material and/or have been written by authors close to the Imperial family (e.g., Grand Duke Alexander Mikhailovich, Lili Dehn, Sidney Gibbes), or those known to thoroughly research their material (e.g., Greg King, Peter Kurth, Penny Wilson). An unpublished, unnamed author carries few credentials.

However! Back to the topic of the ever fascinating and physically repugnant (to Russo!) Rasputin. I am currently re-reading GDMarie Pavlovna's bio. on the cretin and she is just getting into the Rasputin phase. The view point of Marie is very interesting as she posts things that others have not in their bios so it will be interesting to re-read her take on the situation. Currently she is saying that those who were political climbers in the realm were using Rasputin to secure better positions within the cabinet. Details to follow. . . . :shifty:

"Rasputin and The Jews" a new book

Read "Rasputin and The Jews - A Reversal of History", by Delin Colon.
Amazon.com: Rasputin and The Jews: A Reversal of History (9781461027751): Delin Colón: Books
This book is an account of Rasputin as a healer, equal rights activist and man of God, and why he was so vilified by the aristocracy that their libelous and slanderous rumors became accepted as history. For nearly a century, Grigory Rasputin, spiritual advisor to Russia's last Tsar and Tsarina, has been unjustly maligned simply because history is written by the politically powerful and not by the common man. A wealth of evidence shows that Rasputin was discredited by a fanatically anti-Semitic Russian society, for advocating equal rights for the severely oppressed Jewish population, as well as for promoting peace in a pro-war era. Testimony by his friends and enemies, from all social strata, provides a picture of a spiritual man who hated bigotry, inequity and violence. The author is the great-great niece of Aron Simanovitch, Rasputin's Jewish secretary.

Rasputin and the Romanovs

What do you guys think of Rasputin and his influence over the Romanovs? There isn't a single thread on Rasputin in this section and I find that bewildering to say the least.

Rasputin was a scoundrel who may have had a calming effect on the Tsarina. This in turn may have resulted in Alexei becoming calm when he would see that his mother was more relaxed during his many crises. Rasputin knew that he had sway over the Tsarina and used this to his advantage. His influence was not the only cause of the revolution but contributed to the general hatred felt by the people against many of the Romanovs.

I wonder, if in fact, Rasputin was empowered by the Devil to 'heal' Alexei, which could have resulted in the Romanov family becoming dependent on him, instead of the Orthodox Church proper and cut them off from the aristocracy that could have supported them as well. Alexei healed, yes, but I have to wonder if other factors were at work here. Considering where their dependence on Rasputin led, it would make a lot of sense really. Rasputin did have power, I just wonder, what was the source?

Genuine holy men didn't run around sleeping with everything that walked and Rasputin was certainly doing that. Plus, he was incredibly two faced about his dealings with the Empress and I would think that a holy man would encourage the Empress to go public and at the least tell the Church so she can rely on them, not just one person. Rasputin was doing things differently and he was a starets, not part of any religious order. All I know is that he certainly had some power that was part of him if he was able to do what he did for Alexei.

Put frankly, his religion of sex for forgiveness is sickening enough and last time I checked, Christ didn't state that sex was requried for His love or fogiveness.

Last edited:
Rasputin apparently was influenced by a sect of Russian Orthodoxy that promotes sin brings you closer to God, this is an explanation of why he slept with so many women. Also 100s of Holy Men have also been manwhores sleeping with anything that moves.
I highly doubt Rasputin was influenced by the devil in his healing of Alexei; I think blaming it on the devil is like pointing to witch craft to explain why Henry VIII loved Anne Boleyn.

Rasputin scares the living daylights out of me. I don't know, but there's something about his eyes that has me cringing (even on pictures). To this day I cannot look at the cover of the biography written by Edward Radzinskii. The man, in my opinion, was a serious quack, but I can completely understand the reasoning that when he calmed Aleksandra, Aleksey would calm down as well, most likely because he saw that his mother was no longer frantic.

I've never given a thought to Rasputin being influenced by the Devil (or some other not-so-good power), but anything is possible. The man was just.....I don't know...'creepy' may be a good word. He certainly knew how to use his 'powers' for his own benefit and promotion. He lived in a pretty decent apartment, from what I have read.

I didn't say he was just influence, I would say he was empowered; he was two-faced in every possible way to the Empress and encouraged her to isolate herself from the rest of the people who could have supported her. He was part of a sect that promoted sin as a way to redemption, but it was never officially recognized and accepted and I don't trust that he wasn't getting help from somewhere less than holy.

Anyone who manages to drink and eat food and wine laced heavily with arsenic and still dance and have fun around is obviously not normal or human. Someone who manages to get shot eleven times, stabbed, and then even then tries to get out from under icy water is not normal in any respect. I mean, it took so much just to kill him and then keep him dead. How is that human? He deliberately deceived Alexandra and deliberately deceived the rest of the aristocracy/Russia.

He was telling Alexandra and Nicholas one thing while doing something entirely else. He lied to them and taught Alexandra that he was the only thing standing between her and the death of her son.

Read the history of the papacy, and you'll see popes and cardinals galore with mistresses and there's the one (the one right before the Borgia pope) who only acknowledged his bastard sons (16, I think) not his bastard daughters and had way more sexual partners than just 16. Powerful men are often promiscuous and Catholic popes, cardinals, bishops and priests are no exceptions to that rule. Sure, some are celibate.

Russian Orthodoxy has to requirement of celibacy by the way, so it seems far more "devilish" and unorthodox on the part of the Catholic popes who "sinned" by having sex outside of wedlock.

Rasputin was a charismatic figure and Alexandra was your typical, suggestible, highborn Victorian lady. There many, many mystical sects in Russia at the time - I'd be interested to know which one Rasputin belonged to. He thought sin was necessary to dispel the sin of vanity, so that one would have a reason to repent, but if one looks at the amount of sex and drinking in other religions at the time (and earlier), it seems to have been a widespread idea (Dante even puts sins like drinking, overeating and sex in the first circle of hell, IIRC).

Rasputin probably believed in his own powers (which seem to have been hypnosis and the power of suggestion, both of which only work on certain people - Freud call them histrionics). It seems clear that Alexandra was calmed by even a telegram or a word from Rasputin, so from her point of view, he must have seemed quite powerful.

Many men in those days took small amounts of poison to make themselves less susceptible to poisoning (and in prior days) and some people still do. It's similar to the idea of innoculation. But it wasn't arsenic used to poison him - it was cyanide. The 1916 autopsy specifically states that there was no evidence of poisoning, although it is theorized that since the witnesses said the cyanide was put into cakes, that it might have vaporized during cooking. During Rasputin's days, people did still practice the self-innoculation procedure and cyanide was at the top of the list of poisons that people tried to develop an immunity to.

The 1916 autopsy has not been published, but two reputable teams of doctors have been given access to it, and they confirm that the tests done on the body would have revealed cyanide poisoning, but that there was none. These reports also put into doubt his drowning. Witnesses say he was shot in the back, but the autopsy states he was shot in the forehead and that the shot (from a different gun from the others) was instantly fatal - he was dead before he went into the water.

There are many myths and legends about Rasputin, and he certainly was a hardy fellow (after being shot 3 times in the back, he still tried to strangle his assailant, witnesses seem to agree). Intriguingly, the type of bullet that went into his forehead was of a type used almost exclusively by the British in those days - and Rasputin was urging the Tsar to be a pacifist regarding the Great War. British intelligence apparently had at least two agents in St Petersburg at the time.

Link regarding the autopsy report, reviewed by a British forensic pathologist in 2004:

Professor says it was a bullet wound...

The bullet wound in the forehead can be seen in the grim picture posted on Rasputin's wiki page.

Princess Kaimi your info about Rasputin's autopsy is very informative, I had never heard that there was no poison found in him. It is very likely that because the people who killed him weren't professionals that they easily messed up their plans. This is rather more likely than that he had help from the devil. Also I have heard of people who have been shot and thrown into a river yet died of drowning because the bullet wounds hadn't yet killed them. Not to say they wouldn't have, but the water got to them first. I personally don't see Rasputin's two faced behavior as any different from countless other politicians, courtiers, sycophants throughout history. He did have a large influence on the hatred spewed on the Romanov family but whether Rasputin was there or not Alexandra was still going to isolate herself and do what she thought was right regardless of the larger population. Whatever Rasputin did for Alexei it obviously worked while he was involved in his treatment; some people suggest hypnosis or just forcing those around Alexei to be calm and stop irritating him and as a result irritating his body and preventing it from healing.
The whole hatred towards Rasputin could have been avoided if Alexandra and Nicholas had not been so secretive about what was going on; that was their idea not Rasputin's.

Rasputin may have started out as a "holy" man but he is and was no different than any other supposed "man of God" who uses the gullibility and susceptibility of others to further his own means. Don't ascribe the devil to his actions. He was a coarse and evil man who preyed upon the religious maniacs of the time to get women in his bed and to generally create havoc. Why do you suppose so many others saw through him? Because Rasputin was a quack and a liar. Is any different than the televangelists who tell viewers to send money or else God will call him home (I think that one was Oral Roberts)? Because religion must rely on faith, the faithful can be sucked in by believing this person is a messenger from God.

The man was considered a fraudulent starets; he was young while most were old and he was sleepign with everything that walked while most starets who were genuine lived celibate lives. There is no reason that he had any business literally blaspheming the Orthodox religion the way he did and encouraging the Empress to depend on him nad him alone.

Rasputin and The Jews - A Reversal of History

First of all, Rasputin was not a Khlysty, as suggested by the person who said that he believed in having sex to sin, so he could be absolved. As the author of a book on Rasputin, clearing his name, I've read well over a hundred books on the subject, in English and French. Rasputin learned of the Khlysty, but did not follow their religion, which also included self-flagellation. He was Russian Orthodox, but the clergy detested him because he preached that people could talk directly to God and didn't need an intermediary. He also criticized the Church for not coming to the aid of all people, such as the oppressed Jewish population. He felt it was more Christ-like to help all.

He never claimed to be a staretz, but was a strannik - a wandering seeker of spirituality. Much of the evil that's been attributed to him is easily debunked in my book. In fact, the 'evil' is rarely defined in other sources. He was a healer. This has been documented by many witnesses, including doctors. He did not believe in hypnotism - in fact he thought it was evil. The aristocracy spread many rumors about him, in order to discredit him but, primarily, he was truly hated for advocating equal rights for the Jews. Some people find this a flimsy reason for hating him, but that's because they don't understand the nature and manifestation of anti-Semitism of that time.

Jews were restricted to a ghetto called The Pale of Settlement and, with some exception, were not allowed to leave, risking imprisonment if they did. They were denied educations and many occupations and were not allowed to hold any political or military posts. The Romanovs (for generations, with the exception of Alexander II) sanctioned 'pogroms' - regular raids on Jewish villages, wherein entire villages of Jews were tortured and slaughtered. This was the extent of anti-Semitism at the time. In political cartoons of the time, Jews were depicted as evil demons, just like Rasputin was. In fact, some accused him of being a Jew.

The charges of promiscuity against Rasputin were never substantiated and, in fact, an investigation by the post-Revolutionary Extraordinary Commission cleared him of any wrong-doing, finding him to be a man of large heart who gave money and aid to the poor and begged the Tsar to remove from the books the prejudicial laws restricting Jews. The charges of promiscuity and drinking were very hypocritical, as the aristocrats consumed vodka and French champagne by the case, and had so many sexual partners that newspaper ads for cures for sexually transmitted diseases were rampant. In fact, it's been said that had he been a noble, those behaviors would have been perfectly acceptable.

His 'evil' meddling in government affairs were efforts to both prevent war and to gain equal rights for the Jews. Those he recommended for cabinet posts generally had promised him they would champion those causes, but often didn't.

What it boils down to is that the Romanovs had a lot of blood on their hands, for the innocent people they ruthlessly killed, while Rasputin never harmed a soul and even refused to press charges against the many who tried to assassinate him. He even forgave them, because he felt it was Christ-like.

Read "Rasputin and The Jews: A Reversal of History".
Amazon.com: Rasputin and The Jews: A Reversal of History (9781461027751): Delin Colón: Books

Last edited:
He seems to be the "holy man" who saved czarivich Aleksey from his hemophilia episodes and the czarina believed in him too much, and believed everything he said while Romanov relatives didn't like such a drunk filthy man being in the inner circle if the royal court, the czarina's sister the grand duchess Elisabeth fyodorovna was one of them and Alexandra I instead told het sister to leave and never return and all because Ella told alix the true horrible things about rapsputin but alix dismissed these rumors and fell under his influence. Nicholas II went to the front in WWI and Alexandra was left to govern the Russian Empire and she had Rasputin help her rule the country and Also because she was a German princess it didn't look good ,there also seemed a point where even Nicholas II no longer wanted Rasputin in the palace.

About Rasputin

While the Tsar himself said that it always gave him a feeling of peace to talk to Rasputin about spiritual things, The Tsar, like most other aristocrats, hated Jews and Rasputin kept pushing the issues of giving equal rights to Jews, as well as avoiding war. He was seen as a traitor for this stance and often tried to get cabinet ministers appointed who promised to push those issues. That was where Nicholas II drew the line. Rasputin was also horrified by the state sanctioned raids, called 'pogroms' wherein entire villages of Jews were tortured and slaughtered. The Tsar had a lot of blood on his hands. Rasputin, however, was a healer and never harmed nor killed a soul.

It was only the aristocracy who hated him. He helped thousands of common folk. He had his rich patrons give money to the poor and he helped many Jews obtain educations, occupations, and residences outside the Pale of Settlement (the ghetto they were forced to live in), that they were otherwise denied by law.

Also, he was not filthy by any means. He went to the bath house every day. Many such rumors were spread about him by the aristocracy to discredit him. Other rumors, such as the womanizing and drinking were hypocritical, considering that the promiscuous Russian aristocracy was rife with venereal diseases, judging from the numerous newspaper ads for cures for those ills. And, as far as the drinking, the nobility consumed French champagne and vodka by the case. Some authors assert that if Rasputin had been a noble and accused of womanizing and drinking, no one would have thought a thing of it. There was no evidence of inappropriate behavior with women, other than, perhaps, kissing and hugging.

The newspapers published political cartoons, in an attempt to sway public opinion, depicting Rasputin the same way they did Jews - as evil, demonic, ugly figures.

Read "Rasputin and The Jews: A Reversal of History" for the real story.

Aristo, I don't know if Rasputin encouraged Alexandra to rely on him and him alone, I think she did that all on her own. Whatever Rasputin was and did, he was helpful to Alexei when nobody else was. I feel that perhaps the whole Rasputin "affair" could have been alleviated a little if the reason for him being there wasn't kept a secret from everybody. I don't know if it would have helped the family entirely because Rasputin was still taking part in bad behavior when away from them which angered a lot of people.

I have read that Alexandra was tolerant of different religions and warned the Tsar to allow subjects of foreign lands to worship according to their beliefs and do not harm them. Therefore, I can accept that Rasputin may have been an advocate for the Jews of Russia when others were oppressing them.

But this good quality should not overshadow his faults. Historians seem to agree that he and Alexandra interefered in politics and secured appointments based on likes and dislikes, as opposed to appointing people who were good or right for the job. Rasputin had a hand in bringing down the Tsar.

Back
Top Bottom