General News about the Danish Royal Family 1: December 2008 - January 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
All posts on the Royal Family attending the funeral of Mr. Mærsk Mc-Kinney Møller's on April 21, 2012 has been moved to the
The Danish Royal Family Current Events: Part 6
Thread

Mary looks beautiful. And that dress still fits like a glove ;) The colouring and detail suits her so well.

:previous:

No problem :flowers: This is what I've found at the official website:

Translated it says: June 13, 2012. His Royal Highness Crown Prince attends the European Cup un Lviv, Ukraine.

So that's the match you've already mentioned :flowers:

Due to the fact that I wrote about CP Frederik's attend the European Cup un Lviv, Ukraineit in this topic I don't know where I should post article about this event which I found --> Danish Royal Media Watch: Sportif!: Expert Believes Freddles Will Ruin Denmark's Reputation by Going to Ukraine: Hello, Reputation Sunk on May 14, 2004

Article:
Sportif!: Expert Believes Freddles Will Ruin Denmark's Reputation by Going to Ukraine: Hello, Reputation Sunk on May 14, 200.

Derfie want to go to see big boys pway games. Lene says it ok. Lars is big baby dumdum. Nice bwonde wadies in Ukwaine. Vewy nice.

When the Danish national team will run the track in the Ukrainian city of Kharkiv next Saturday, they will be supported by Culture Minister Uffe Elbaek and Crown Prince Frederik. For when the Minister of Culture announced his participation in the European Championships in Ukraine in order to support the Danish national team, adding Crown Prince Frederik to the occasion also came up.

But the decision will not be received with open arms everywhere. Lars Hovbakke, who is a historian and expert in the royal house and external lecturer at Copenhagen University, blames the Government for sending the Minister for Culture and the Crown Prince to the Ukraine because their government has been criticized for violating human rights and not having a democratic playing field.

"It's not something that is beneficial to Denmark in relation to how other democratic countries view us. When many of the other countries of the EU and NATO, which we normally compare ourselves with, because they are democracies in the same way as we is choosing to boycott, and we participate, I would definitely say that it is not is something that gives us plusses in our grade book. On the contrary, it pulls us down into how other democracies look at us", said Lars Hovbakke.

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous: That's very much domestic political teasing.

It's about the imprisonment of the former Ukranian PM and her treatment, which has been critizised and there have been calls for a political boycot of Ukraine. Indeed some countries have decided to boycot the Championships by withholding official representatives.
That has also been debated here in DK.

The stance of the government is that any such boycot should be undertaken by a united EU (the probabillities of that happening was at best remote) and that sports and politics should not be mixed.
As such the Danish Minister for Culture and as such also Crown Prince Frederik will attend the Championships.

That of course provides the opposition with an opportunity to tease the government, even though the former government did the exact same thing afew years back.

:previous: That's very much domestic political teasing.

It's about the imprisonment of the former Ukranian PM and her treatment, which has been critizised and there have been calls for a political boycot of Ukraine. Indeed some countries have decided to boycot the Championships by withholding official representatives.
That has also been debated here in DK.

The stance of the government is that any such boycot should be undertaken by a united EU (the probabillities of that happening was at best remote) and that sports and politics should not be mixed.
As such the Danish Minister for Culture and as such also Crown Prince Frederik will attend the Championships.

That of course provides the opposition with an opportunity to tease the government, even though the former government did the exact same thing afew years back.

thanks for the insight.
I think this is a hard line to walk on. I think we can find faults or something to protest and boycott in every country.

I read that the princes of Austria, Felipe and Letizia, will be attending the Spain vs. Italy game.

I wonder if other countries will change their stance if their team is in the final :whistling::flowers:.

Summary of a Q&A in Billed Bladet #25, 2012.

Where a Maja Jørgensen would like to know whether Joachim and our Marie shouldn't bow and curtsey to Frederik and Mary as they are higher ranking.

Jon Bloch Skipper replies that the Order of Rank is the system used by the court in to determine who should arrive in what order, who should be seated where and so on. (*) But the DRF is above the Order of Rank. Instead they are ranked after their place in the Line of Succession.
Jon Bloch Skipper continues:
"The Crown Prince (and his wife) of course ranks higher than Prince Joachim and Princess Marie and some might be of the opinion that J&M in official contexts should bow to the CP couple and in that way show them the proper respect for the future regent couple of Denmark.
I myself prefer the loving and relaxed interaction that the couples use. That I actually think the majority of the Danes do.
We are after all talkning about close family members.
At special events we sometimes see the CP couple and J&M bow and curtsey to the Majesty, but that is something different. Because here it's the Majesty or the monarchy as an institution they show respect.
However, in nine out of ten cases the royals greet each other with the hand, kissing on the cheek and hugs".

(*) The Order of Rank and the protocol is followed stricktly at the DRF court, simply to avoid people feeling snubbed.

BB is up.

I think it's also a generational thing. The junior generation curtsies/bows to the older generation. I doubt we will see Marie curtsy to Mary, once Mary becomes queen. I am, however, at huge fan of that kind of respect shown to your elders/superiours at formal events. I remember girls learned to curtsy when I was taught ball-room dancing as a kid - us boys learned to bow properly.

Sadly, both the bow and the curtsy has all but disappeared. Even at royal events otherwise upper-class women struggle to wring out something reminiscent of a courtsy often resorting to not even a bow, but a nod - the same nod that most men seem to mistake for a proper bow.

God, I was born in the wrong century.

:previous: :lol:

Well, I agree we won't see our Marie curtsey to Mary, but I'm certain we we'll see the current children bow and curtsey to king Frederik and queen Mary.

I don't know if I lament bowing and curtsying but I think that the use of formal you and Mr/Mrs. lastname fading out is making our language poorer.

The use of formal you is in my opinion a good tool, sometimes when you have to keep a polite distance or to defuse a heated situation or just show respect.
It's so much more akward (and it sounds silly as well) to say: "De er et dumt svin"! (= You are a bastard, using formal you) than "Du er et dumt svin" (= using informal you).

Something that can annoy me is if I hear a journalist address a member of the DRF with informal you. It so diminishes my respect for that journalist. A journalist who won't look beyond himself and his own opinion and show the proper respect when needed should find another job.

Last edited:
Well, I agree we won't see our Marie curtsey to Mary, but I'm certain we we'll see the current children bow and curtsey to king Frederik and queen Mary.

I wouldn't necessarily rule it out. It is afterall performed in recognition of the position, and not the person themselves.

Last edited:
From October 15th, 2012, the Danish Royal Court will have a new Master of Ceremonies.

Colonel Kim Kristensen, currently a defense attaché in Paris and previously an adjutant to Queen Margrethe, will take over the position from the current MoC, Christian Eugen-Olsen, who is retiring. Eugen-Olsen became the MoC in April 1990.

Press Release

And there will be a statevisit by the Slovakian President Ivan Gasparon on 23 and 24th October.

Not sure where to ask this but can someone give me some information on this 1988 crash in Chateau de Caix?

I think there is a much better description of what happened in one of the Frederik threads. But here goes. Joachim was driving. Frederik and two other friends were in the car. Joachim lost control and crashed. I believe Frederik was thrown out of the car and broke his collar bone. All the car's occupants were injured. The Queen and Prince Henrik made their sons publically apologize for being so reckless.

Regards.

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #40, 2012.
Dronningens hemmelighed - The Queen's secret.
Written by Annelise Weimann.

There are two paintings on the way.
One of Christian alone, apparantly painted at Rosenborg Castle since he is depicted with one of the three silverlions that are placed there in front of the throne. The silverlions symbolize the realm, hence why Christian, who is second in line for the throne, is depicted with only one lion.
The painting will be painted soon and the artist is Mikael Melbye.

However, a large painting by Thomas Kluge will be unveiled soon. It depicts all members of the DRF with Christian in the centre. The other older children, including Felix and Nikolai, will line up beside Christian and the small children will appear in the back with their parents.
There is a picture in the article of the part of the picture with Christian. He is sitting on a chair with Prince Henrik's hand resting on the chair, so presumably the Regent Couple will stand behind Christian.
A book about the painting is about to be published as well.

The painting measuring 2.10 X 2.10 meters will eventually hang at Fredensborg Palace.

- Thomas Kluge's style is almost photographic and when looking at the cropped image in the article of Christian it looks very promising indeed!

The painting was commisioned at QMII's 70'th birthday by an anonymous donor, not even the artist know who paid for the painting.
It has been slightly delayed because Thomas Kluge in particular wanted the royal children included in the painting. - But then the twins came, to be followed by Athene, and they all had to be old enough to be able to pose, so....
The idea to the painting is actually Thomas Kluge. At a ball at the court in 2009, he said that he would like to paint the entire DRF and that's how it all started.

:previous:very exciting, thank you :flowers:
I would love to see one of the entire DRF.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you, Polyesco :)
I too look very much forward to this painting.

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #40, 2012.
Far og søn i skudkamp - Father in son in a gunfight.
Written by Annelise Weimann.

Frederik and Prince Henrik took part in the annual royal bird shooting at Sølyst restaurant north of Copenhagen.

They are not shooting at live birds but at a wooden parrot with a crown.
It's basically a club consiting of "gentlemen of importance". This year 60 ordinary members also took part.

Being royals Frederik and Prince Henrik aimed at the crown, while the other members aimed at the bird. They both hit their mark.
They are using replicas of muskets from the early to mid-1600. I.e. really heavy muskets that require a rest.
The day was spend shooting and in the evening there were prizes to be presented and a dinner to be enjoyed.

However, royal members always get a pot/jar or a plate of silver and as such both now have a considerable collection at home.

It's gonna be so exciting to see the finished paintings, they both sound really good. I'm especially looking forward to the group painting, I wonder if it's going to be like Laurits Tuxen's infamous picture of Christian 9. and his entire family.

There are two paintings on the way.
One of Christian alone, apparantly painted at Rosenborg Castle since he is depicted with one of the three silverlions that are placed there in front of the throne. The silverlions symbolize the realm, hence why Christian, who is second in line for the throne, is depicted with only one lion.
The painting will be painted soon and the artist is Mikael Melbye.

does Frederik have a similar painting ?
i recall a beautiful one of the Queen with the three lions

I love it when the royals commission official portraits and paintings.

I agree with everyone above and am looking forward to a new portrait with all the family. The one Tuxen did of the extended family in the Garden room at Fredensborg is one of my favourites. Mostly because I can identify most of the people in it, I guess. But it is a lovely painting.

Can anyone tell me what cousins CP Frederik of Denmark and the Duke of Cambridge are? I'm not very good at figuring out this 'cousin' thing lol

The agnatic lineage of CP Frederik is continued from Friedrich Wilhelm, Duke of Schedules-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg

> Christian IX of Denmark > Frederik VIII of Denmark > Christian X of Denmark > Frederik IX of Denmark > Margrethe II of Denmark > Frederik, Crown Prince of Denmark

The agnatic lineage of William is continued from Friedrich Wilhelm, Duke of Schedules-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg

>Christian IX of Denmark > George I of Greece > Prince Andrew of Greece and Denmark > Prince Philip of Greece and Denmark> Charles, Prince of Wales> Prince William, Duke of Cambridge

Last edited:

Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark and Prince William, the Duke of Cambridge are 4th cousins. They are also 4th cousins twice removed through Her Majesty, the Queen.

Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark and Prince William, the Duke of Cambridge are 4th cousins. They are also 4th cousins twice removed through Her Majesty, the Queen.

Thank you Archduchess Zelia. Was my lineage correct as far as the ancestors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom