Four years down the track; Is Mary OK now?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KelliB

Gentry
City
Perth
Country
Australia
Hi everyone,

As a relatively new contributor to the forums I was just having a look back at some of the old threads about Mary and wow, are they vicious! As an example, look at this quote from a very early thread about her:

I would have to say that I still think that Mary isn't "Princess Perfect." She may actually be remembered as one of Fred's better or more suitable girlfriends, but I don't think that she is CP or Queen material, at least this is my opinion. She just has that too eager-trying too hard look in her eyes IMO. She has a hunger that isn't really ambitious, but just embrassing and fairly degrading as far as I am concerned.

Many didn't think the relationship would last and many more had serious reservations about Mary's suitability as a future queen. Do you all feel differently now? Has Mary "proven" her worth yet? Is Mary OK now?

KelliB :) :) :)

Hello KelliB! Welcome. I personally have always like Mary, but other people have different opinions, and that's ok. But I do think that when I say that Mary has "proved herself" I speak for the majority of this board. She seems to really fit in her role as crown princess.

KelliB said:
Hi everyone,

Has Mary "proven" her worth yet? Is Mary OK now?

Hi KeeliB :)

I think Mary has proven herself well and truly. She has proven that she is more than capable of carrying out her role as wife, mother and Crown Princess, in not only a new marriage but a new country with, what seems to be a very difficult language to learn.
I suspect that some of the non believers early on in their relationship would have to eat their words. :lol:

Happy posting:flowers:

KelliB said:
Hi everyone,

As a relatively new contributor to the forums I was just having a look back at some of the old threads about Mary and wow, are they vicious! As an example, look at this quote from a very early thread about her:

Many didn't think the relationship would last and many more had serious reservations about Mary's suitability as a future queen. Do you all feel differently now? Has Mary "proven" her worth yet? Is Mary OK now?

Interesting thread, KelliB! I don´t think, that much has changed. Mary is still dividing the ppl into two groups. The one, who love her with passion and the one, who can´t find anything good in her person. I think somehow some kind of competition has developed. A competition, not so much about the person "Mary" actually, but with the goal to prove the other party wrong. Some kind of "Team sport" one could say ;) Nonetheless I´ve a feeling with the birth of Christian she made plus points.
Well, there are of course also ppl in between, but I think, they don´t deal much with her.
And another thing has also changed a little. Slowly the honeymoon in the Danish press is over.
Personally I went through some contrast bath (or let´s say many). In the beginning one could describe my attitude with this ":wub: " icon ;) I was taken by the refreshing breeze, that came along with Mary. Then my opinion changed as fast as her closet got fuller and fuller, together with the growing number of fashion shootings and things like this more or less pointless big "Look at me"-thour through Australia or the patronage for Danish Fashion fairs (while her fav´ seemed to be italian PRADA) However these days I´d say my view is more on the neutral side. Frederik could have done better in his choice, he could have done worse. The good thing about Mary is, that she´s somehow "exotic", the bad about her, that this means, she is in´t really into Denmark. I´d say, I´ve learned to see both sides. :flowers:

My opinion towards Frederik got more negative, I´d say. He is simply a lazy sack :lol:

Last edited:
I think Mary is doing a fine job so far. If I was Danish, I would be glad to call her the Crown Princess. Of course, it ahs only been a couple of years since she married Fred and I think it goes without saying that she still has a lot to learn- as with any new crown princess. She will learn this as life goes on, it's not something that can be taught I think, it's something that comes with experience.

Well done so far, Mary

Australian said:
I think Mary is doing a fine job so far. If I was Danish, I would be glad to call her the Crown Princess. Of course, it ahs only been a couple of years since she married Fred and I think it goes without saying that she still has a lot to learn- as with any new crown princess. She will learn this as life goes on, it's not something that can be taught I think, it's something that comes with experience.

Well done so far, Mary

Yes, I agree. She's loosing this haunted look and you can feel that she feels more secure in her role, thus is able to be more of her sunny self than she was during her first years, when she was trying so hard (maybe too hard for some) to fit in with what she was only starting to understand as "the Royal lifestyle".

I think she is fantastic... I think her job is the most difficult i the world as it changes your life completely... She looks great; speaks danish; has born an heir; does a lot of charity work and seems to be in love with her husband... What else to expect?

Sophus said:
I think she is fantastic... I think her job is the most difficult i the world as it changes your life completely... She looks great; speaks danish; has born an heir; does a lot of charity work and seems to be in love with her husband... What else to expect?

.... at set of twin girls :wub:

*being modest*

I think Mary fits the bill of a CP. She is stylish, dresses impeccably. Sure, there were some clothing choices that were not as stellar, but she still looked well groomed and well put together.

She has never "royally" screwed up, and pulls her weight when it comes to working. She has, as far as I know, never cancelled engagements at the last minute, and she handles her herself the way I think a CP should, with confidence and her head held high. She is very well suited for the job, the antidote of Mette-Marit.

sylla said:
I think Mary fits the bill of a CP. She is stylish, dresses impeccably. Sure, there were some clothing choices that were not as stellar, but she still looked well groomed and well put together.

She has never "royally" screwed up, and pulls her weight when it comes to working. She has, as far as I know, never cancelled engagements at the last minute, and she handles her herself the way I think a CP should, with confidence and her head held high. She is very well suited for the job, the antidote of Mette-Marit.

I agree with your opinion of Crown Princess Mary. She has become a very professional Crown Princess, adapted well to her motherland and seems devoted to her family and charity works.

However, I most certainly disagree with your opinion of Crown Princess Mette-Marit. I understand this is no thread for discussing her, but I think Mette-Marit is a terrific Crown Princess, wife and mother as well.

For the most part..I think Mary is doing a good job. She has been very professional, works hard (at least IMO), represents Denmark very well (and Australia too even though her priority is Denmark :flowers: ), and provided the required heir.

I hesitate to say great..cause I think the term "great" is subjective. I could think Mary is doing a great job and Blank Blank could think she could do more.

I would compare Mary to Maxima out of all the CP's. I know we hate to do comparisons but in all fairness...their situations were somewhat similar although Maxima was upper class and Mary was middle class.

Think about it...you fall in love with a Prince from a foreign country, you marry in the most public way, you move to his country where you don't know the language or the customs (and you have to learn both fairly) and you have to do it on the world stage. Whereas Mette Marit, Letizia and Mathilde at least spoke the language and knew what was expected from them. I also think the attitude towards Mary has changed somewhat...true..there will always people who don't like her...and they are totally entitled to their opinions...but I agree with KelliB...the first threads about Mary were bloody awful. Its nice to see that she has grown into her role and people are noticing and respecting that.

However, I most certainly disagree with your opinion of Crown Princess Mette-Marit. I understand this is no thread for discussing her, but I think Mette-Marit is a terrific Crown Princess, wife and mother as well.

No, I don't think so. Focusing on the job of crownprincess and work-related duties, Mary is superior. She is by far more accomplished, sophisticated and professional. Mary is a crownprincess and she acts like one, none of that "down-to-earth" and "we are just like other people" nonsense.

sylla said:
No, I don't think so. Focusing on the job of crownprincess and work-related duties, Mary is superior. She is by far more accomplished, sophisticated and professional. Mary is a crownprincess and she acts like one, none of that "down-to-earth" and "we are just like other people" nonsense.

I suppose each of us will keep their opinion. :)
I think Mette-Marit is doing a great job, you might feel otherwise.
At least we agree that Mary is doing a good job! :flowers:

I think one would have to wait until Mary has had 3 children to judge her against Mette-Marit on the work-related duties.

Perhaps as well Mary just likes the spotlight more than Mette-Marit.

I
suppose each of us will keep their opinion. :)
I think Mette-Marit is doing a great job, you might feel otherwise.
At least we agree that Mary is doing a good job! :flowers:

Touche :)

Greetings!
Yes, I had to put my two cents in;) ...IMO, all of the Crown Princess are doing a good job. We have to remember that none of them were born Royal or born into the sort of family that leads such a public life. They all had to make huge drastic changes and each and every one of them is taking these changes in their own stride. They had to date, marry, bear children, raise these children, work, vacation and everything else in front of a camera lense, otherwise known as "the worlds eyes". Even though they chose this life (because they knew what they were commiting to when they said yes to their Prince's ) it's hard to live like this! Yet, they still manage to enchant us all with their lovely charm.

And since this thread is about Mary, yes, I think she's doing a good job. She seems alot more at ease when in public and seems to enjoy it sometimes. Especially when she's got Christian with her.

:flowers:

Yes, she is doing more than okay as are all the other Royal Crown Princesses.

Stellad

I think Mary has deffintely improved from when she was just starting out. I love the Crown Princess, I think she works hard, is a great mother and serves her adopted country well. I could compare her to other princesses but Mary is Mary and with all that she has done so far I think she has fared pretty well. Can you imagine living in a different country, you have to learn the language, follow their customs (and they're even more detailed since you are a crown princess), connect with the people, try to wear something suitable so some people don't pick you apart and say you're a bad princess because "oh my" you wore orange or something. And you have to get in good with the press which no princess has managed to do 100% yet!

I think Mary has done a very good job of adapting to her surroundings and finding a home in Denmark and is every inch of a princess.:flowers:

Last edited:
I think that there will always be 2 sides when it comes to CP Mary. Those who like and those who don't. And for some reason, I really can't foresee that changing.
The ones that like her whenshe first came on to the seen, LOVE her now and she can do no wrong.
The ones that did not like her when she first came on to the seen, now have an intense dislike for her, and no matter what or how she does something, it will always be wrong.
As for myself, I can't really say that I like or dislike her. As well as with the other CP's. I can not pass judgement on someone that I personally do not know. I go based on thier actions and involvment in causes.
But I think there will always be 2 sides: the likes and dislikes no matter how long she is on the scene.

Well, after 4-5(?) years living in Denmark with the best language teachers she still has not mastered Danish according to the Danes from another board who heard her Culture Prize speech weeks ago, and the press surely did not let go of that one. Poor woman, they thought it was bad. Obviously they speak English at home. I think she should make learning the language her top priority now, afterall she's the Crown Princess of Denmark and future Queen.

planetcher said:
Well, after 4-5(?) years living in Denmark with the best language teachers she still has not mastered Danish according to the Danes from another board who heard her Culture Prize speech weeks ago, and the press surely did not let go of that one. Poor woman, they thought it was bad. Obviously they speak English at home. I think she should make learning the language her top priority now, afterall she's the Crown Princess of Denmark and future Queen.

I don't speak Danish so I will take the word of the Danes. If Mary hasn't mastered Danish or isn't even close then she should definitely work on it. Being Crown Princess means mastering the language of her adopted home. It does take time though. However, I understand that in a relationship it's hard to switch gears and start speaking in a different language than they are used to with each other. I don't think Mary is working with her tutors anymore. I doubt the royal court had a tutor sticking around for more than two years. Does anybody know more about this?

Last edited:
Learning a language takes time. Even with language imersion, fluency isn't achieved quickly, especially with a specially difficult language such as Danish. With so many functions she has to carry out, she probably learns when she could. Plus, learning a language gets harder as you get older! She'll be fluent by the time she's queen.

Anyway, I was one of those people who did not like her, along with Letizia, at first. She looked too aloof and too forced. In hindsight, it was probably the shock of being thrust from relative obscurity to the harsh light of public life.

I haven't changed in my dislike of Letizia, but Mary has become one of my favorite royals. She's trying her best to be the best she can for her adopted country. Her actions have been impecable and she hasn't given any reason for people to disapprove of her work. She's a good mom and a good representative for Denmark.

Hi KelliB, welcome to the board.:)

Overall, I believe the general opinion and perspective of Crown Princess Mary certainly has changed since her engagement to Crown Prince Frederik. Some negative, some postive.

When I first knew about Mary, I really didn't know what to think. In the beginning she was simply a girlfriend. None of us really knew anything about her and what she could actually accomplish as the Crown Princess of Denmark.

As time has past, my thoughts about her certainly has changed. Mary has done a fine job as Crown Princess. It isn't easy as it looks. Sure she'll fumble here and there, but she is human afterall like the rest of us. The only major difference is that she has a title, a life long duty, rather job, to her country and cannot retire.

She's doing the best she can. That's all we can ask for, right?

:)

As far as I can tell she seems to be doing well. Mary seems to be hard working.

I think Mary has improved considerably. I admit I didnt like her before. I am not ready to love her yet because I still feel theres something fake about her. But over the past few years she has grown on me. She seems to be doing her best so i'll give her credit there.

I don't think Mary has done too bad of a job as a Crown Princess. I've noticed in photos that she has become more confident appearing especially during her visit to the Czech Republic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom