Favorite Engagement Outfit

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Letizia
Mary
Maxima
Tatiana
Catherine

Last edited by a moderator:
I liked many engagement outfits (Kate's, Mary's, Victoria's, to name a few), but my favourite is Letizia's. That white suit was so classy and well-tailored, that made me follow her fashion from day one (let's not talk about her disappointments of late, there are other threads for that). My worst should be Madeleine's pinkish dress - that was way too sugary and old-fashioned for my personal taste.:flowers:

Quoting myself... Hm.. :rolleyes: Having seen many more engagement pics, I have to add Mette-Marit & Mathilde's outfits to the worst, too. They're quite funny actually.
Kate's blue dress wasn't appropriate for an engagement; rather for shopping and coffee with her best friend.
Stephanie de Lannoy surprised me quite a lot with her choice. The coral dress was so fresh and lovely, IMO.
My top favourite e-outfit is still Letizia's suit, looking forward to Prince Harry's engagement now. ;):lol: :flowers:

1. Mary's beige dress and brown belt (I didn't realize that she lost so much weight until I see again her engagement pictures)

http://i48.tinypic.com/2zri6ja.jpg

2. Lalla Salma's orange caftan and gold belt

http://i48.tinypic.com/w9wtqg.jpg

3. Kate's blue dress

http://i48.tinypic.com/2a9zl94.jpg

I liked also Letizia's white suit, but it looked more like working suit, than an outfit for announcement of engagement.
exactly my choices:flowers:
but didn't Mary wore a coat on her engagement day too.

shrifia said:
exactly my choices:flowers:
but didn't Mary wore a coat on her engagement day too.

Mary did wear a coat when she went on the balcony.

For me the best was Princess Maxima´s outfit, Mary and Catherine

I Like Kate Middleton Engagement Outfit The Most , She Look Nice Elegant , I Like It , Thank you for Posting

I like Stephanie's engagement outfit. Casual but yet appropriate. She looked relaxed and natural.

the monaco ladies win for me on this one: grace and charlene looked beautiful in their engagement pictures. i loved the white, well-accesorised coat of grace and the turquoise halter neck dress of charlene.
a mention also for grand duchess maria teresa. i liked how demure and classy her outfit looked.

I can not say which is the best, Kate's was lovely, Maxima and Mary also. For Letizia i can't really say. White suit was very nice, but this style was not appropriate for this occasion. It was perfect for a professional dinner, not an engagement! And bright white! Strange!

carlota said:
a mention also for grand duchess maria teresa. i liked how demure and classy her outfit looked.
Thanks for posting. She was perfect. It is a pitty that she gained so much weight, it destroys her. 30y after her husband is still absolutely handsome.

I think Victoria, Madeleine and Kate had the loveliest engagement outfits.

I have to be more precise now - I mean Madeleine's first engagement ;) Don't like her second engagement outfit that much, it's overall too dark for me (I prefer her with blonde hair anyway).
Victoria is unchallenged number 1, she was perfect from head to toe, and Kate's dress was lovely, although I would have preferred a different hairstyle.
Stéphanie's outfit wasn't so spectacular IMO.

(...)

I went through the Sartorial splendour page relateg to the emgagement outfits. For me the Queen, then Pcs Elisabeth, is one of the best, and the most ageless ever!
One of the worst, Pcs Mathilde (an outfit to go on shopping)! Speechless for Duchess of York(i would be surprised if she was well dressed!)
Pcs Grace also, despite that she had one of the better wedding dresses ever, her engagement dress was much inferior, slightly failed for her.

I love the blue outfit that Catherine Middleton wore for her engagement announcement.

Posts that had nothing to do with any engagement outfits have been removed as off-topic!

Diana Spencer and Charlene Wittstock.

I liked the suit worn by Princess Alexandra - it was very dark blue velvet with a fir trim on the skirt - an unusual touch. The video footage makes it appear to be black. Love the shot of the engagement ring with her nail varnish. I think Princess Marina looks pretty good too - both very elegant women.
Pathe

I liked the suit worn by Princess Alexandra - it was very dark blue velvet with a fir trim on the skirt - an unusual touch. The video footage makes it appear to be black. Love the shot of the engagement ring with her nail varnish. I think Princess Marina looks pretty good too - both very elegant women.
Pathe

Thank you for posting thie video footage. It is remarkable how likenesses go across the BRF. I was thinking how Gabriella looks like Alexandra and then, at the end of the video when she is raising her eyebrows and talking, I caught a glimpse of a young Princess Anne as well.

I really like the suit but it reminds me how at the time, daughters immitated their mothers with the design of their clothes, always dressing far older than their years.

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Flashback Friday: Royal Engagement Outfits

I re-did my list:

The Best:

1. Crown Princess Mary
2. Princess Madeleine's first engagement dress
3. Princess Madeleine's second engagement dress
4. Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge
5. Queen Maxima
6. Crown Princess Victoria
7. Queen Elizabeth II
8. Princess Grace
9. Queen Paola
10. Princess Charlene
11. Queen Sonja's black outfit
12. HGD Stephanie's red dress

The Worst:

1. Queen Mathilde
2. Sarah, Duchess of York
3. Princess Martha Louise
4. Sophie, Countess of Wessex
5. Countess Alexandra
6. Princess Beatrix
7. Queen Rania
8. Diana, Princess of Wales
9. Crown Princess Mette-Marit
10. Princess Tatiana
11. Princess Marie
12. Princess Letizia

Last edited:
The best:
1. Letizia
2. Kate
3. Victoria
4. Maxima

The worst
1. Sarah
2. Mathilde
3. Madeleine's both (first too matronly, second too dark)
4. Sophie

The best:
1)Maxima
2)Letizia
3) Elizabeth II
4) Madeleine (both)
5) CP Mary
6) Queen Paola
7) P. Grace
8) Hgd Stephanie
9) Kate
10) Princess Charlene

The worst:
1) Sarah
2) Diana
3) Mathilde
4) Sophia
5) Mette Marit
6)Countess Alexandra
7) Queen Rania

For me, the ONLY one that really made me go "wow" was Charlene's elegant sea green halter dress....SHE. LOOKED. STUNNING.:ohmy:

I also thought CP Mary's was lovely.

Although I don't particulary like the engagement outfit of Mathilde I must say that it was something short of a sensation at the time. Not many pictures of Mathilde were known at the time and all of Belgium was expecting a very dowdy aristocrat, the surprise was enormous when this young pretty and modern woman appeared, with trousers! So in that aspect I think she had one of the most succesful outfits of them all.

With Máxima it was the other way around. The Dutch public was familiar with the images of her partying in a short white dress with a drink and cigarette. So they dressed her up as a nun almost, also for the first engagement soon afterwards in the Keukenhof.

Last edited:
Princess Charlene looked like a sea nymph...a goddess. I also liked Marie of Denmark's.

At the lower end were Mathilde of Belgium's(what was she thinking??) and Stephanie and Claire of Luxembourg.

Claire and especially Stephanie made up for it by wearing the most gorgeous bridal gowns imaginable, but I did not care for their engagement outfits at all.

Back
Top Bottom