Dutch State Visit to Argentina: March 30-April 1, 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ap3 said:
Were there any full-length pictures of her black gala dress? The top looked lovely, and I really loved the diamond necklace. But I would like to see the whole outfit.

I saw the dress on television, it was a short dress with a flowing skirt.

crisiñaki said:
That's one of the biggest mysteries of the universe...:D

With lots and lots of hair spray :)

HM the Queen looks great but I so wish that her husband was still with her. She must miss him terribly!

I was reading an article from Hello! magazine in which they state that after Maxima and WA's wedding, there have been more unions between the argentinians and dutch. Now isn't tha something?

Kelly said:
I was reading an article from Hello! magazine in which they state that after Maxima and WA's wedding, there have been more unions between the argentinians and dutch. Now isn't tha something?
There was a very important wedding: MY wedding!!!. My husband is dutch and I am argentinian and we got married after Maxima and WA ;)

Does anyone know where they are now? Are they still in Argentina? Thanks!

Princess Emma said:
Does anyone know where they are now? Are they still in Argentina? Thanks!

Back in The Netherlands since Tuesday morning :)

After seeing you photograph can be told them that Maxima is charming and very nice as the person :)

All I can say is that Princess Maxima dresses so stylishly in this trip.I think she makes extra effort to dress well cos it is her homeland after all.I always feel that she and Queen Beatrix get along really well.They always do foreign trips together and Princess Maxima has more tiaras than any other Crown Princess.

fanletizia said:
STYLE And GLAMOUR Of The REAL PROTOCOL The LOOK OF QUEEN BEATRIZ And HER DAUGHTER-in-law MAXIMA IN ARGENTINA

http://www.caras.com.ar/edicion_1265/nota_01.htm

The cover from Caras:

Translation:

Inside the Dutch Royal Family's visit to Argentina: the fashion, the glamour. The trips in the country, far from the protocol, the informality and emotion of the queen.

MAXIMA, THE HOSTESS

Attachments

• tapa.jpg
    tapa.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
I'm a bit late to this thread (have been traveling like a fiend lately) with my 2 cents on Beatrix's state visit, but I have to say I'm a bit disappointed by the whole thing (the visit, not the thread!)

Where I kind of expected some sort of Maxima triumph tour a la Jackie Kennedy visiting Paris in the sixties: I expected more from this visit somehow. According to many press reports, this visit was a washout on many accounts--despite Beatrix & her kids' seemingly having given it their all.

Rtl talked about a "decidedly cool reception" that the Dutch Queen got in the country of birth of her daughter in law. In any case the indifference of Argentina's president towards the dutch queen was surely one of the few huge insults that Beatrix has experienced in her career.

It is in hindsight perhaps not so hard to understand the 'coolness' on the side of the Argentinians toward Beatrix and her consorts.

First of, I am totally with those who are completely flabbergasted over the fact that queen Beatrix (whose Argentinian-born daughter in law is, and will remain, the daughter of a minister who served a very, shall we say, unfortunate regime in seventies' Argentina) decides to pay the country an official visit on the very days that Argentina remembers the victims of the regime Beatrix's in-laws endorsed & served in!!

I mean, who on the planet came up with that one!

Whoever in the Netherlands helped organize this trip should've known this and warned Beatrix against going during that very week! Maxima, who has family and friends of course in Argentina, could have and should have known too, there's no excuse here.

In case they were aware that ARgentina would that very week remember the videla victims, perhaps that explains why they incorporated the Anne Frank exhibition. Kudo's, in that case, to them, although it made for a very subtle message.

Which is perhaps why, later on during the visit, Beatrix and Maxima made a very private visit to some of the mothers of some of the Videla regime victims. But unfortunately, this visit was not allowed to be covered by the press. A missed PR opportunity, in my humble opinion.

And the other mystery is the picture of Jorge Zorreguieta, the controversial father of Maxima, exiting the Dutch ministerial plane at some point during the visit! Caras, I believe, has the picture of him climbing out of the plane, with the "Je maintaindrai" logo on the plane next to him!

For those Argentinians who saw this picture, I couldn't understand their indifference, or coolness, toward the Dutch entourage more. I mean, what a blunder of Beatrix to let Zorreguieta anywhere near that official Dutch plane during this visit to a nation that's clearly still coming to terms with the crimes committed by Zorreguieta's very colleagues!

Again, I had expected Maxima to somehow triumph during this visit like a sixties' Jackie Kennedy in Paris.
Instead, her trip for the Micro loans back in December seemed much better thought-out and successful.

Last edited:
I know what you mean, princess olga - I thought I'd heard wrongly when I heard Zorreguieta had gone along for the free ride. But, then again, it was probably the only way to set foot on his native land again without being lynched...

fraxales said:
I know what you mean, princess olga - I thought I'd heard wrongly when I heard Zorreguieta had gone along for the free ride. But, then again, it was probably the only way to set foot on his native land again without being lynched...
well actually, I believe he and his wife live in Buenos Aires, so why did he need to hitch a ride in the Dutch official ministerial plane beats me. And again, I think that's why some question Beatrix's integrity on learning she visited those mothers of videla victims..smacks like hypocrisy, to many. I for one think Beatrix meant well, but just made the mistake of offering controversial in-law Jorge that ride. But a bad mistake it certainly was. Bad PR, at least.

Last edited by a moderator:
It doesn't seem to be bad PR cuz this has not really made the media. As far as I know this story has been denied very quickly.

As for comparing this to Jackie in Paris: these aren't the sixties anymore. Times have changed very much. It's just another statevisit imho.

prinsesbeagle said:
It doesn't seem to be bad PR cuz this has not really made the media.
Huh? According to Rtl, it was widely reported in non-Dutch media.

prinsesbeagle said:
As far as I know this story has been denied very quickly
Denying it was the least they could do, but it would have been better if, pro-actively, Jorge Z. wouldn't have been on that plane at all

prinsesbeagle said:
As for comparing this to Jackie in Paris: these aren't the sixties anymore. Times have changed very much.
Oh have they? What with all these admired-to-goodness Euro crown princesses for reasons like their great smiles, their sense of clothing, etc. How is that different from how sixties 'royalty' was admired? And after all, state visits still exist today, almost exactly the same way it was always done.

princess olga said:
Where I kind of expected some sort of Maxima triumph tour a la Jackie Kennedy visiting Paris in the sixties: I expected more from this visit somehow. According to many press reports, this visit was a washout on many accounts--despite Beatrix & her kids' seemingly having given it their all.

Rtl talked about a "decidedly cool reception" that the Dutch Queen got in the country of birth of her daughter in law. In any case the indifference of Argentina's president towards the dutch queen was surely one of the few huge insults that Beatrix has experienced in her career.

It's a matter of perspective. Here, we considered their visit very succesful. Of course a lot of people would have loved going to greet them but the visit took place during working days, so most of us, like me, were unable to attend. So if the Dutch Press wanted to see massive concentrations of people on the streets for the photos, then, yes, they might have been disappointed.

Regarding K's behaviour, he has been deeply ashamed us with his rude manners here and abroad, since he keeps forgetting he is representing 39 million Argentinians instead of only himself. All we can do if giving the Dutch people our deepest apologies for that unspeakable rudeness we had been praying not to happen.

It is in hindsight perhaps not so hard to understand the 'coolness' on the side of the Argentinians toward Beatrix and her consorts.

First of, I am totally with those who are completely flabbergasted over the fact that queen Beatrix (whose Argentinian-born daughter in law is, and will remain, the daughter of a minister who served a very, shall we say, unfortunate regime in seventies' Argentina) decides to pay the country an official visit on the very days that Argentina remembers the victims of the regime Beatrix's in-laws endorsed & served in!!

I mean, who on the planet came up with that one!
Whoever in the Netherlands helped organize this trip should've known this and warned Beatrix against going during that very week! Maxima, who has family and friends of course in Argentina, could have and should have known too, there's no excuse here.

In case they were aware that ARgentina would that very week remember the videla victims, perhaps that explains why they incorporated the Anne Frank exhibition. Kudo's, in that case, to them, although it made for a very subtle message.

First, the commemoration (Memory Day) day was on March 24th, so the commemorative acts took place a week before the Royal visit.

Second, our idiosyncrasies as completelly different. We admire they more since they were not afraid to face critisism and that princess Maxima does not hesitate to show how different from her father she is. As Nobel Peace Prize Adolfo Perez Esquivel (a victim of Videla's regime himself) pointed out last week, children should not be blamed by their parents mistakes, which are not genetically inherited.

Which is perhaps why, later on during the visit, Beatrix and Maxima made a very private visit to some of the mothers of some of the Videla regime victims. But unfortunately, this visit was not allowed to be covered by the press. A missed PR opportunity, in my humble opinion.

Clash of cultures again. They would have been highly critisized over here if they have gotten PR "profit" from that visit! I must point out that the visit was not highlighted here, which also matches the low profile Estela de Carlotto (from Abuelas de Plaza de Mayo) and the Mother of Plaza de Mayo founders (the very first group that is completely separated from the one leaded by Hebe de Bonafini) like to keep.

And the other mystery is the picture of Jorge Zorreguieta, the controversial father of Maxima, exiting the Dutch ministerial plane at some point during the visit! Caras, I believe, has the picture of him climbing out of the plane, with the "Je maintaindrai" logo on the plane next to him!

Neither Caras, Gente, Clarin or La Nación had published that picture. As you have pointed out, he and his wife live here so why on earth would thay have been on that plane for! On the other hand, they might have entered the plane in order to get the little princesses, who, due to the State visit, were not shown to the press, but if such picture was taken was undoubtably used to make those headlines.

For those Argentinians who saw this picture, I couldn't understand their indifference, or coolness, toward the Dutch entourage more. I mean, what a blunder of Beatrix to let Zorreguieta anywhere near that official Dutch plane during this visit to a nation that's clearly still coming to terms with the crimes committed by Zorreguieta's very colleagues!

Idiosycrasies again. Yes, Jorge Zorreguieta was a civil servant for the Videla's regime. But we certainly would love to see other people sent to prison, and not only from that period, than a mere civil servant of that Dictatorship.

Regarding December's micro-loan visit, the streets weren't crowded either, and the only difference was that Mr. Plain Rude was not offer the opportunity of showing his rude manners once more.

Last edited:
Silvermj said:
It's a matter of perspective. Here, we considered their visit very succesful. Of course a lot of people would have loved going to greet them but the visit took place during working days, so most of us, like me, were unable to attend. So if the Dutch Press wanted to see massive concentrations of people on the streets for the photos, then, yes, they might have been disappointed.

Regarding K's behaviour, he has been deeply ashamed us with his rude manners here and abroad, since he keeps forgetting he is representing 39 million Argentinians instead of only himself. All we can do if giving the Dutch people our deepest apologies for that unspeakable rudeness we had been praying not to happen.

First, the commemoration (Memory Day) day was on March 24th, so the commemorative acts took place a week before the Royal visit.

Second, our idiosyncrasies as completelly different. We admire they more since they were not afraid to face critisism and that princess Maxima does not hesitate to show how different from her father she is. As Nobel Peace Prize Adolfo Perez Esquivel (a victim of Videla's regime himself) pointed out last week, children should not be blamed by their parents mistakes, which are not genetically inherited.

Clash of cultures again. They would have been highly critisized over here if they have gotten PR "profit" from that visit! I must point out that the visit was not highlighted here, which also matches the low profile Estela de Carlotto (from Abuelas de Plaza de Mayo) and the Mother of Plaza de Mayo founders (the very first group that is completely separated from the one leaded by Hebe de Bonafini) like to keep.

Neither Caras, Gente, Clarin or La Nación had published that picture. As you have pointed out, he and his wife live here so why on earth would thay have been on that plane for! On the other hand, they might have entered the plane in order to get the little princesses, who, due to the State visit, were not shown to the press, but if such picture was taken was undoubtably used to make those headlines.

Idiosycrasies again. Yes, Jorge Zorreguieta was a civil servant for the Videla's regime. But we certainly would love to see other people sent to prison, and not only from that period, than a mere civil servant of that Dictatorship.

Regarding December's micro-loan visit, the streets weren't crowded either, and the only difference was that Mr. Plain Rude was not offer the opportunity of showing his rude manners once more.

Thanks for your insightful perspectives Silvermj. Interesting also to hear how different the reactions in Argentina might have been on hearing the Dutch Queen went to talk to the mothers of the videla victims. I for one really believe that more exposure of her visit to them would have gained her mucho kudo's in Dutch media at least. Again, interesting how Argentinian perspectives might differ on that one.

And as for Kirchner, I'm sure Beatrix was somewhat prepared, i.e. warned to his particular ways, at least I hope so!
One thing I got from seeing the various pictures of the visit, is how stunningly beautiful Argentina is, can't wait to visit someday!

princess olga said:
Thanks for your insightful perspectives Silvermj.

You are most welcome, Princess Olga! :)

princess olga said:
Interesting also to hear how different the reactions in Argentina might have been on hearing the Dutch Queen went to talk to the mothers of the videla victims. I for one really believe that more exposure of her visit to them would have gained her mucho kudo's in Dutch media at least. Again, interesting how Argentinian perspectives might differ on that one..

I completely understand your point of view. But when you have been living in a country (as we have all our lives) where politicians have been using PR with demagogic and personal purposes, it is quite refreshing that someone like Queen Beatrix repected the Abuelas and Mothers wishes of not using them with PR purposes, since the Queen would have certainly gained a lot in her own country by making a big fuzz of the meeting.

Regarding Maxima's father, it seems to us (an do excuse me for my Hollywood analogy, it is the best I can come up with right now, to explain our point of view) that if you were the Untouchables you would have been more than happy by sending Capone's errands boy to prison instead of Capone himself.

Do believe me, there are so many people we would like to see in prison (from the Videla regime, before and after it) who were/are truly responsible of the mess my country has become, that Zorreguieta is the last of our concerns.

princess olga said:
And as for Kirchner, I'm sure Beatrix was somewhat prepared, i.e. warned to his particular ways, at least I hope so!..

I'm sure of it. I could hardly believe there is a Diplomatic Service in the world that is not aware of Mr Plain Rude's ways: with the only exception of Antarctica, he has been showing off his complete lack of manners everywhere in the world :eek: :mad: and keeps covering us with shame :(.

princess olga said:
One thing I got from seeing the various pictures of the visit, is how stunningly beautiful Argentina is, can't wait to visit someday!

Oh, yes!!! As a nation, we may have countless flaws but our homeland is truly beautiful. And be certain you would be very welcome here. Hope you can visit us soon. :)

Last edited:
Thanks Silvermj, as Princess Olga says, your posts are most informative.
Isn't this attitude a bit of presidents Kirchners profile, as a labour man more concerned for 'real' problems instead of only enjoying the sperks (I hope that is a correct word) of the job, with the creme de la creme of society. If it is not part of his positioning strategy but just plain rudeness it is very strange indeed.

Last edited:
Marengo said:
Thanks Silvermj, as Princess Olga says, your posts are most informative.
Isn't this attitude a bit of presidents Kirchners profile, as a labour man more concerned for 'real' problems instead of only enjoying the sperks (I hope that is a correct word) of the job, with the creme de la creme of society. If it is not part of his positioning strategy but just plain rudeness it is very strange indeed.

Thank you very much for your words, Marengo. :)

I am aware of his self proclaimed profile as "a labour man more concerned for 'real' problems". But, even if that were truth, that is not excuse for him to show off his rudeness everywhere as he has done. Queen Beatrix was only the last in a long list of people (from my own and foreign countries) he has offended.

As Head of State he is representing all of us, not just him, and if in order to represent us, from time to time he must spend some time with "la creme de la creme of society" -national or foreign- he should do so. It is part of his job.

Oh, I'm sure for all of you his behaviour is quite strange, but politicians here seem to believe they are something like Feudal Lords allowed to carry on with their will instead of doing the job for which they have been elected (or in K's case, not elected).

That's why we keep wishing for Ufo's to do exist an abduct them all for fifty years. On their unharmed return, our country would have been so changed, that they would never be allowed to carry on with their political careers and would have to start truly working for the very first time in their lives!!!!!!!!! Wow!!! That would be quite an event!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes: :D :)

i absolutely loved this visit. it was so emblematic and important to me, i think it had a lot of glitter and emotion in it (appart from the completely non protocolar manners they received, however), the fact that it was the first state visit with the queen to maxima's country, the places they visited (i was thrilled when i saw the colon theatre as one of the places they would visit as it's such a nice and elegant place of buenos aires to show to the world) with a special mention to the post-state visit day in jujuy (wasn't it a lovely gesture to visit them again after maxima was there in december out of their official programme?) and the pre-visit to the glaciar perito moreno. i completely loved every second of it.

maxima was dazzling and dressed to impress. those hats were stunning in my opinion, i wonder how much space all of them (the queen's and maxima's) would have taken in the plane :) my favourites were of course the black and white she wore the first day (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=236532&d=1144316791 - really elegant in my opinion) and the beige ones she wore the last day (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=235758&d=1143928127 and http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=235998&d=1144003332), they were special and creative, specially the first one. i completely loved maxima's cocktail dress at the colon theatre, although it would have been better if it was long - a gala dress - considering mrs. kirchner wore a long dress (since the queen and maxima wore short dresses i assume it was the first lady's fault). loved the colour, the details, the hairdo, the jewels... just everything was perfect (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=235666&d=1143882074). also lovely was the beige day outfit maxima chose for malba, it was delicate and feminine with the touch of the hat (http://img122.imageshack.us/my.php?image=nws9318454gy.jpg) and maxima's smile... always a joy to see (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=235758&d=1143928127).

my congratulations to all the ones who had the possibility to go and see them and even talk with them! it must have been so exciting! :)

photos taken from the board, thanks to the posters!

i post here two very lovely pictures that i found in http://www.maximavanoranje.web-log.nl/ of the princes arriving to argentina with amalia (looking very cute in her pink hat with matching scarf) and alexia, carried by willem alexander.

thanks to maximavanoranje weblog for the photos!

Is Princess Maxima pregnant again? I just heard there were rumors during this State visit to Argentina that she may be expecting her 3rd child?

Anyone know if this is true or just rumors?

Oh these rumours. speculations on Máxima being pegnant have started on the day she got maried and will last untill she's 45. It could be so, but I'm getting tired of these speculations all the time.

Back
Top Bottom