Duke of Cambridge: Visit to Malta - September 20-21, 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm so excited! A big step up for the Duchess of Cambridge!

It is indeed very exciting and it's a huge step for Catherine as a senior member of the royal family to represent Her Majesty The Queen on her first official solo visit to Malta.

Richard Palmer @RoyalReporter · 13m
Ten engagements in two days in Malta for Kate sounds busier than usual. Small distances to travel though.

It's very nice to see The Duchess of Cambridge performing important engagements by her own. I'm sure The Queen and The Duchess of Cornwall will have lots of advice to give to her.

Kate Middleton set for first solo overseas trip to mark Malta's independence | Royal | News | Daily Express
KENSINGTON Palace has announced a busy programme of 10 engagements in two days for the Duchess of Cambridge in Malta next month on her first official solo overseas visit.
Kate, 32, will be away from her husband Prince William and their 13-month-old son Prince George for one night when she travels to the Mediterranean island on September 20 and 21 to mark the 50th anniversary of its independence from Britain.
Her programme will include plenty of pomp and pageantry as the strategic island, given the George Cross by King George VI to mark the bravery of its people during the Second World War, turns out to greet her.
The centrepiece of her trip will be an independence celebration overlooking the Grand Harbour in the capital Valletta on September 20

This is what I got from the Kate Middleton Review.

Itinerary

Day 1 September 20th (Saturday)

Call on the President of Malta at the San Anton Palace, where Kate is staying.
Photo op.

Call on the Prime Minister of Malta and his wife at the Auberge de Castille.

Kate will then view a re-enactment of an historical event-- the inspection of the fort and garrison by the Grand Bailiff of the Order of the Knights of St John.

An inspection of historic documents at the National Library, Valletta.

An evening event at the Upper Barrakha Gardens near the Harbour as part of the Independence Day celebrations.

Day 2 September 21st (Sunday)

Independence Day Service at St John's Co-Cathedral.

An inspection of the two Caravaggios in the Cathedral Museum.

Visit to Access Centre in Villoriosa Square, a Government agency for youth.

A meet and greet the public opportunity in Villoriosa Square.

A viewing of Maltese art at the Church of St Lawrence.

Boat tour across the Grand Harbour to see spectacular views.

A Garden Party held by the British High Commissioner.

After that it's farewell and away on the plane!

Let's get down to brass tacks:

How many outfits do you suppose we'll see on this tour? Could be as few as two, or as high as six or eight!

There would have to be at least five, you would think. Even if Kate kept to two dresses/coatdresses for the daytime engagements, she would surely wear something more casual for the harbour cruise, not the same outfit she wore to church. The evening event would require something dressy and so would the garden party.

Ladongas-

How profoundly depressing that you regard the 'brass tacks' of this visit just the number of outfits the Duchess will wear...
I'm sure both she {and HMQ who is sending her} believe the visit has rather more significant importance to the Maltese !

In honor of Her Royal Highness The Duchess of Cambridge's first solo trip to Malta- here is a video of Her Majesty The Queen & Duke of Edinburgh's 1967 visit to Malta-

Queen In Malta - British Pathé

Ladongas-

How profoundly depressing that you regard the 'brass tacks' of this visit just the number of outfits the Duchess will wear...
I'm sure both she {and HMQ who is sending her} believe the visit has rather more significant importance to the Maltese !

wyevale-

How profoundly depressing that you regard my remarks as anything other than a good-humored 'riff' on how shallowly all of us tend to comment on the least important aspects of royal life.
I'm sure that all of us here respect the intent of the visit. I'm equally sure that all of us will enjoy seeing her wardrobe and discussing it as well.

My apologies then, Ladongas...

Your irony wasn't apparent and it isn't a quality i associate with Americans TBH !

I adore Caravaggio and am so jealous that The Duchess will get to see St. Jerome and The Beheading of St. John at the Cathedral in Valletta. Lucky girl. On the other hand, I've never enjoyed the era's fascination with the beheading of St. John (or any other painting of the moment or martyrdom as a subject). The composition of that Caravaggio is spectacular but the emotion of it makes my skin crawl - which was probably the intent. He signed his name in the blood pool in the painting - ick.
For those of you not familiar with Caravaggio - he was a late 16th century genius with paint and composition. His male nudes are spectacular. His body of remaining work is relatively small and many attributed Caravaggios have been outed as originating with other artists. He's famous for composition and the use of deep shadow and depth in his paintings. For me, his work is so lifelike that I almost expect the figures to speak or step out of the canvas.
He also tended to choose dark and gruesome themes in his paintings: Thomas inserting his hand into the spear wound in Jesus' side, multiple beheadings, the Infant Jesus stepping on a writhing serpent, etc. Finally, many of his canvases are large enough that the figures in them are more or less life size. Seeing a Caravaggio can pack an emotional punch. He was a genius.
He was also a hot mess. He was a temperamental brawler and a multiple murderer as a result of those brawls. His time in Malta was dictated by the fact that the island insured his freedom while the Pope was hunting him down for murder on the mainland.
Anyway, just so that I can vicariously live out a dream, I am throwing a Caravaggio bucket challenge out to the Duchess of Cambridge. She needs to go and see all of them over the next decade. I get to sit at home and see them vicariously.
I think that's a reasonable request. :ROFLMAO::whistling:;)
The two Caravaggios that Kate will see:
The Beheading of Saint John the Baptist (Caravaggio) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Saint Jerome Writing (Caravaggio, Valletta) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Martin @CourtierUK · 3h
This solo visit to Malta could be a defining factor for Kate. If she performs well, she’ll prove she can handle more engagements solo...

Martin @CourtierUK · 3h
…otherwise, I suspect there’ll be more of a focus on engagements done with W for near future!

I actually think she has already proven that she can do solo engagements just fine. I think she will now show us that she can carry out official foreign tours on her own.

I thinks she's going to do a fantastic job and I'm sure she's getting herself well prepared for the trip.

It is good to see the Duchess undertake her first solo overseas trip, but the schedule looks far from heavy.

It is good to see the Duchess undertake her first solo overseas trip, but the schedule looks far from heavy.

It's a lot being packed into two days.

Richard Palmer @RoyalReporter · 1h
Kensington Palace says a decision will be taken closer to the time on whether Kate will go to Malta on September 20 and 21.

Apparentyl if she is gonna miss Malta, they will send Prince Andrew

or perhaps Princes William or Harry could attend on her behalf?

Richard Palmer @RoyalReporter · 1h
Kensington Palace says a decision will be taken closer to the time on whether Kate will go to Malta on September 20 and 21.

I know they are taking it day by day situation but this is an oversea visit and I think they should make a decision sooner than later. Since they know her condition, might as well cancel instead of canceling last minute.

I know they are taking it day by day situation but this is an oversea visit and I think they should make a decision sooner than later. Since they know her condition, might as well cancel instead of canceling last minute.

I am sure the event will be attended by a member of the BRF. They can take a decision closer to the time if Catherine is well enough to go or not. If not, I am sure William, Harry, Andrew or Edward could attend on her behalf.

I think that if there's any risk of Kate not being well enough to perform whatever duties have been planned for her in Malta, she should cancel now so plans can be finalised for Andrew, or whoever else is chosen to go in her stead. It seems that she can be well one day and sick as a dog the next, so even if she were feeling up to the task two days before the scheduled trip to Malta, she could be too sick to be able to get out of bed the next morning. It would be dreadful if she went but was laid low and couldn't attend any of the planned events.

Last edited:
maybe they already have a plan B and Andrew/Edward/William/Harry already know that maybe they need to go to Malta? Maybe Kate also wants to go to Malta and hopes that she will be fit enough to make this tour.

IIRC Kate started to feel better after the hospitalization... So mabe she will go next week... :ermm:

I don't think they have a plan b because no one expected this pregnancy since she is in early weeks...

The press seems to think they'll send Andrew...

nobody expected it, but they can ask now, if someone else has the time to go to Malta in place of Kate. I doubt that they will wait until one day before departure and decide then. I think they will start now with thinking about a plan B.

It may be the case that she'll rest up before the trip or someone will go in her place. I think she'll be rather disappointed in not being able to make this though.

Honestly I don't think it's a good idea for her to make this trip,at least alone, if her morning sickness is indeed very bad it can be very unpredictable .....what if she feels fine on the 20th to make the plane ride, but wakes up on the 21st AKA the most important day, with morning sickness,such that she will not able to participate that day.....what happens then? Who's gonna step in for her?

(And btw there's a slight mistake which many posters, and news papers are making which I'd like to point out, this trip will not be Kate's tour of Malta, her presence in the country will be as a spectator in the celebrations marking the 50th year of our independence)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom