Duke and Duchess of Cambridge Current Events 4: September 2012-February 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
But at the end of the day, the editors at the Express and many other papers decided not to publish the photos. Richard Palmer does not agree with the decision and thats fine.
But Mr Palmer should write a blog blasting his editors for the decision, and not try to turn it around on the Royals.

Last edited:
Well, it seems like it's a tricky situation.

I had HG when I was pregnant and as a result I didn't have a "proper" baby bump until the second trimester. It doen's mean anything is wrong with the baby as I ended up giving birth to healthy daughters:p
I remember I dreamed with food, particularly chocolate cake and watermelon (don't ask me why:lol:) and when I smelled the food I was sick...

I do think she's feeling better too although she still looks to thin:flowers:

I have a friend who is 7 months pregnant and she still doesn't have a proper baby bump.

Nor did I. I had to tell people I was pregnant at 32 weeks (tall and thin like Kate). At that point, I stood down from riding and it basically popped over night

My mom had no bump what's so ever when she was pregnant with me till around 6 months. She said one day she just woke up and there it was. It was never a gradual thing it just popped.

But at the end of the day, the editors at the Express and many other papers decided not to publish the photos. Richard Palmer does not agree with the decision and thats fine.
But Mr Palmer should write a blog blasting his editors for the decision, and not try to turn it around on the Royals.

I had to laugh at this bit..."In the current climate, after the Leveson Inquiry into phone hacking and other alleged misdemeanours by sections of the British press, newspaper proprietors and editors are extremely reluctant to get into a high-profile dispute with the Royal Family."

As if the press from owners and editors on down had not treated public figures as objects to be sought and destroyed (because smears sell far better than positive press) by illegal means (misdemeanours or not). The press knows they have eaten their own young by stepping illegally over the privacy line - and now they have to pay the piper to recover the public's approval. It has so little to do with Royalty - this just makes me angry to see this kind of obfuscation. :angry:

^^^^ Many members of the press have gone to jail in Britain over their criminal activities. The press was given many opportunities to shape up but they didn't and the general public no longer trust the British press.

Last edited:
Sorry for the double post, but I just wanted to say that the 'Mini Cheddars' that Kate was buying are little crackers with a cheddar cheese flavouring. The crackers are small, about the size of a US quarter or 10p piece in the UK. They're very moreish, and it can be difficult to stop eating them when you start a packet.

Exactly what someone with nausea would be advised to eat. You can see them here:

Mini Cheddars. | Contains Scenes Of Mild Peril.

Oh...So they're the British version of Goldfish Crackers then? Because that description more than fits me and my addic...I mean...great love of (Yeah, that sounds better) Goldfish Crackers.

:D;):D

Oh...So they're the British version of Goldfish Crackers then? Because that description more than fits me and my addic...I mean...great love of (Yeah, that sounds better) Goldfish Crackers.

:D;):D

Or Cheeze-Its (Cheez-It® Baked Snack Crackers) and Goldfish cheddar can be found here: Pepperidge Farm® - Goldfish® Crackers in Cartons.

For whatever reason, they tend to make our cheddar junk food very radioactive ORANGE in the US. The color sticks to your fingers.

Anyway - good for the Duchess to have found her food that does not return.

I had to laugh at this bit..."In the current climate, after the Leveson Inquiry into phone hacking and other alleged misdemeanours by sections of the British press, newspaper proprietors and editors are extremely reluctant to get into a high-profile dispute with the Royal Family."

As if the press from owners and editors on down had not treated public figures as objects to be sought and destroyed (because smears sell far better than positive press) by illegal means (misdemeanours or not). The press knows they have eaten their own young by stepping illegally over the privacy line - and now they have to pay the piper to recover the public's approval. It has so little to do with Royalty - this just makes me angry to see this kind of obfuscation. :angry:

Agreed! Very astute analysis; Britain is going thru a lot of press stuff that has very little to do with the BRF.

Of course the palace didnt ban the pictures because there is no basis on what they would have been able to do so. The pictures are not illegal so its pointless to go for a ban. As a consequence, they do it through the backdoor, asking for privacy meaning its a nicely wrapped up warning. I am sure those newsoutlets in Britain who wouldn't comply wouldn't be forgotten by the palace when it comes to special occasions and special favours which would be given to those who did comply in the first place and not those who did not.

There will come the time when William wont be protected by Clarence House and the eternal respect his granny commands when it comes to handling the media and this nicely enforced deal-making will its boundaries.

Of course the palace didnt ban the pictures because there is no basis on what they would have been able to do so. The pictures are not illegal so its pointless to go for a ban. As a consequence, they do it through the backdoor, asking for privacy meaning its a nicely wrapped up warning. I am sure those newsoutlets in Britain who wouldn't comply wouldn't be forgotten by the palace when it comes to special occasions and special favours which would be given to those who did comply in the first place and not those who did not.

There will come the time when William wont be protected by Clarence House and the eternal respect his granny commands when it comes to handling the media and this nicely enforced deal-making will its boundaries.

The problem with your reasoning is that the relationship between palace and press is a symbiotic one, and, at least for now, the press's does not have the best rep in the UK. Make no mistake, the press want to be on the good side of the palace, and the palace wants to be on the good side of the press.

The problem with your reasoning is that the relationship between palace and press is a symbiotic one, and, at least for now, the press's does not have the best rep in the UK. Make no mistake, the press want to be on the good side of the palace, and the palace wants to be on the good side of the press.

This is exactly why we've been seeing William taking a stand on what he'll allow or not allow and what displeases him even to the point of getting the legal eagles on the attack after the invasion of privacy in France. The more he draws his line in the sand now, the more the press realizes that in the future, to have a good working relationship with the Cambridges, they're going to have to heed his wishes.

True, the Cambridges won't take the media abuse and they are making sure the media knows that crossing the line just won't do. Now that they are establishing a family for themselves and their main residence is Kensington Palace, I really don't blame them.

You're exactly right, the requests for privacy DO carry nicely wrapped warnings, or at least implicit reminders that the royal family is not without options, rights and power when it comes to dealing with the press. I also have very little doubt that this warning has been made explicit in private meetings between members of the press and people representing the Cambridges. The British press is also aware that it has shot itself in its collective foot and its position going forward - both in relation to the BRF and in general - is going to be weak compared to its glory days of the 80s, 90s and early 2000s.

The ball is in the media's court now. If they continue to keep themselves under control for the most part then they will have a civil and profitable relationship with the Cambridges and their team. If they can't do that then, IMO, the Cambridges are signalling their willingness to do things the hard way.

All the old assumptions about the relationship between the royals and the press are now null and void. With the rampant law-breaking of the press over recent years, the media landscape in the UK is utterly changed. Even the BBC, whom we used to trust so much that it was nicknamed 'Auntie', has been fundamentally weakened in terms of public perception due to recent revelations.

The monarchy has probably not been in such a strong position in many decades. Over recent years in the UK we've seen almost all our public institutions revealed to be corrupt, totally untrustworthy, or involved in illegal activity on an almost endemic basis. Politicians, police, the press, churches, the list goes on and on. The only institution to have actually improved its position in the eyes of the public in that time? The royal family.

The royals have an opportunity to shape their relationship with the press that's unlikely to come around again too soon. It seems William is taking the bull by the horns.

All the old assumptions about the relationship between the royals and the press are now null and void. With the rampant law-breaking of the press over recent years, the media landscape in the UK is utterly changed. Even the BBC, whom we used to trust so much that it was nicknamed 'Auntie', has been fundamentally weakened in terms of public perception due to recent revelations.

The monarchy has probably not been in such a strong position in many decades. Over recent years in the UK we've seen almost all our public institutions revealed to be corrupt, totally untrustworthy, or involved in illegal activity on an almost endemic basis. Politicians, police, the press, churches, the list goes on and on. The only institution to have actually improved its position in the eyes of the public in that time? The royal family.

The royals have an opportunity to shape their relationship with the press that's unlikely to come around again too soon. It seems William is taking the bull by the horns.

Great post; excellent summary of current situation :flowers:

I agree. I did think they had celebrated New Years Eve with each other but it's good to know William and the crew was out trying to save a life.

This will be an interesting and exciting year for them. It's hard for me to hide my excitement for them.

Behind the wheel, Kate's Man Friday: Duke and Duchess of Cambridge get their first orderly (and he'll even organise William's wardrobe) | Mail Online

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have employed their first orderly as they face big changes in their lives.
They have seconded the young Fijian-born corporal from the Parachute Regiment.
His role involves chauffeuring, logistics and even organising Prince William’s wardrobe. The Daily Mail has been asked not to name him.
The orderly has been seen driving William and Kate on several official engagements. He drove the duchess when she visited her former preparatory school, St Andrew’s in Berkshire – where she showed off her hockey skills – in November, shortly before she was taken to hospital with acute morning sickness.
A royal aide said: ‘I have to say he is a lovely guy – like all Army, a superb can-do attitude and great sense of humour.’

The cost, which is not known, is being borne by the Ministry of Defence, and therefore the taxpayer.

I think its interesting that he is still being paid by the MoD especially after St James' have continually said that Wills and Kate (and Harry) would have their office costs and staff costs met by the Prince of Wales through the Duchy of Cornwall.

Behind the wheel, Kate's Man Friday: Duke and Duchess of Cambridge get their first orderly (and he'll even organise William's wardrobe) | Mail Online

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge have employed their first orderly as they face big changes in their lives.
They have seconded the young Fijian-born corporal from the Parachute Regiment.
His role involves chauffeuring, logistics and even organising Prince William’s wardrobe. The Daily Mail has been asked not to name him.
The orderly has been seen driving William and Kate on several official engagements. He drove the duchess when she visited her former preparatory
school, St Andrew’s in Berkshire – where she showed off her hockey skills – in November, shortly before she was taken to hospital with acute morning sickness.

A royal aide said: ‘I have to say he is a lovely guy – like all Army, a superb
can-do attitude and great sense of humour.

The cost, which is not known, is being borne by the Ministry of Defence, and therefore the taxpayer.

I think its interesting that he is still being paid by the MoD especially after St James' have continually said that Wills and Kate (and Harry) would have their office costs and staff costs met by the Prince of Wales through the Duchy of Cornwall.

Military personnel seconded to work for the royals are always paid by the MoD since they are technically MoD employees. Various royals have equerries and orderlies from the military typically it's a 2 year secondment as it's seen as something to help with their career path.

William and Harry's ( and Kate's ) principal private secretary Jamie Lowther Pinkerton had been an equerry for the Queen Mum when he was a serving officer.

Robert Jobson ‏@theroyaleditor William & Kate have employed their first "orderly" as they face big changes. He is a Fijian-born corporal from the Parachute Regiment.

Robert Jobson ‏@theroyaleditor
William & Kate's Orderly's role involves chauffeuring, logistics & organising Prince William’s wardrobe.

Robert Jobson ‏@theroyaleditor
Prince William's appointment of an Fijian Para "Orderly" suggests Prince will be doing more royal duties in future.
as said on twitter it's possibly a sign of big changes ahead for the royal couple

Needless to say, a slew of off topic posts have been deleted.

Let's stay on topic with the Current Events of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge. Please note that personal attacks against other members WILL NOT be tolerated.

Reactions: Kit
Video:
Queen decrees Kate’s firstborn girl will be a princess:
Queen decrees Kate

The video includes new pictures of the royal couple and the Middleton family celebrating Catherine's birthday at the theatre last night.

Seriously waiting for someone in that video to mention that Catherine might outrank her own daughter.

Surprised we haven't seen those theatre pictures in this morning's papers, someone was sneaky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom