Duchess of Cambridge: What Now for Catherine? Future Duties, Roles, Responsibilities

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Great for them! Just like the Queen when she first got married. Shows that William & and Palace are actually supporting this marriage more than anything.

Being primarily a housewife doesn't mean not doing public duties... it just means she won't be a full time member of the RF like Prince Charles or Princess Anne just yet. Remember that there's Canada in July... that in itself it a HUGE commitment -- the first time something like this to happen so soon to a new royal wife.

The Queen was never just a housewife. She was a full-time working royal before she married.

When Philip was on leave in Malta she would go out and spend time with him but when he was at sea she was working in Britain as a royal on duties.

I don't mind if this helps the marriage in the long run then I'm good with it. So upcoming is polo, Zara's wedding, Trooping the Colour, the DOE's 90th birthday and the Canada trip and rumored US trip. Next year we have the Jubilee and Olympics. I'm sure William will also make some more public appearances in between all that.

While I fully support W&C doing whatever it takes to make this marriage work out, I just don't understand how the daughter of hard working parents would want to be a housewife.

I really hope eventually the Duchess carves out a role for herself much like many of the other European princesses. They share the spotlight with their princes, and their men don't mind.

While I fully support W&C doing whatever it takes to make this marriage work out, I just don't understand how the daughter of hard working parents would want to be a housewife.

I really hope eventually the Duchess carves out a role for herself much like many of the other European princesses. They share the spotlight with their princes, and their men don't mind.

I'm sure she'll eventually find her strides and step up. I for one don't mind her taking the time to learn about the Family and how the "Firm" works, especially since HM and her new parent-in-laws all support her and William. Let them enjoy their time together quietly while they can. Let her use the time to gradually learn the ropes, rather than throwing her full-tilt.

William and Catherine, as well as the Royal Family are doing a very smart thing by not rushing things.

But think about Catherine's position (in line to the throne)? The Queen is still very alive and well, next in line will be father-in-law Charles, THEN William and Catherine...there is time to take it easy for the first couple of years...

I can't comment on the then Princess Elizabeth, but as for Prince Daniel of Sweden, he is doing more because he (well, mainly his wife Crown Princess Victoria) is next in line to the Swedish throne...he technically could be King Consort any day now, dependent on the health of the reigning King...Catherine doesn't have this pressure because Charles is next in line...they can bide their time at this stage and take it slowly...I am sure the family can afford Catherine a few years breathing space to make their investment worthwhile...

While I do understand Catherine wanting to take time and she is doing events with William, I do hope we are able to see more of her per say just because I like her so much ....I hope she will venture out on her own for maybe a few small events in say a year or so....

Plus don't you think she'll get a bit of bad reporting if she doesn't do some 'work' , let's be honest some already think her incapable of working....(not my opinion just saying I can see the headlines now- Waity Katy still waits...or such) .....

Also, in 2 years a lot could change so it's hard to say how much time she'll actually get, for example she could be pregnant or William's position could change or really anything could happen ......

ghost_night554 said:
So upcoming is polo, Zara's wedding, Trooping the Colour, the DOE's 90th birthday and the Canada trip and rumored US trip. Next year we have the Jubilee and Olympics. I'm sure William will also make some more public appearances in between all that.

True ....that is a lot of events....;) so that'll be nice

Last edited:
Catherine will have the rest of her life full of duties. I am happy that she is going to take the time to be a house wife... plus it gives her plenty of time to really consider what charities and such she wants to put all her time into for the rest of her life.

It's only the start of her marriage, I don't mind that she will want to enjoy as much time with William as husband and wife before going into the public. As it has been mentioned they will have some public duties and till then I don't see Catherine just sitting at home doing nothing, I see her as taking lessons or protocol & etiquette and so on for her new & future role. I do understand she has taken some but the more the better.

As Echolynn mentioned above, it gives her time to discuss with her advisors & William how to start & where to start.

I hoped that she wouldn't be the new Diana - I hope we never have that disaster again.

Catherine is going to take her time and settle in first - good for her.

I can only applaud this, I think it's a very wise move. The first years of your marriage never come back - and according to me they are the most important to lay the basis on.

It is a brilliant decision of supporting her husband in fulfilling his royal duties,enjoy the married life and provide him with a heir

It is a brilliant decision of supporting her husband in fulfilling his royal duties,enjoy the married life and provide him with a heir

but how much royal duties does william have? what will she do all day whait for william.

i undestand not taking on her own events, but why not go with other in the royal family maybe with camilla or sophie

Last edited:
but how much royal duties does william have? what will she do all day whait for william.

i undestand not taking on her own events, but why not go with other in the royal family maybe with camilla or sophie
Yes,but she has enough time to take on more duties.Besides all,Kate and William are to visit Canada this summer

Because she knows that the focus would be on her and she doesn't want to upstage other members of the family.

She is a level headed woman who has decided to wait and take her time. She has decades of doing royal duties ahead of her so if she only wants to do them with William for the first few years good luck to her.

I think Catherine will have alot of things to do as a housewife, but I imagine she will also be doing research on her future duties and preparing for the Canadian tour etc. In the nicest possible way, I think the less we see of William and Catherine at the moment the better! Because it will keep media interest on an even level and it will be all the more wonderful when we do see them!

If HM is okay with it, then who am I to say it isn't okay.

I don't blame her for wanting to be a newlywed. Perhaps that was one of the (many) reasons why the Duke's parents marriage was not a good one early on. They didn't seem to get the chance to be newlywed's before they were paraded around.

I agree with you . Also if she up staged other members of the firm,that could cause problems

William did 73 duties last year.

I assume that she will look after the house, prepare the meals, but also do some research into the upcoming tour of Canada etc.

After all the whirlwind of activities between the engagement and wedding, I can imagine its peaceful bliss to just be able to stay home and have ordinary days. No wedding details and stresses, no meetings with planners and the biggest problem of the day may be what to make for the evening meal.

I think too that if and when they do take off on a honeymoon trip, there will be very little information that comes out about it. Not only are they starting their married life, but are also at the point where the guidelines of defining their personal and public lives are set down. If they want to keep their private lives totally out of the public eye, the time to start is now. That's why being in Wales and William working SAR for the next two years is totally perfect for them.

I really don't see anyone seeing too much of William and Kate now until their Canada trip which will be followed extensively and will be a highly publicized event. I'm hoping that this trip will be covered as well as HM's trip to Canada last summer was. That was fabulous.

Why are we so worried about what the Duchess will/won't do? We all got invited to the most special day of her life (so far), we harped on the dress, the tiara, the decorations, the overkill/lack of information. Is it so surprising that she and William just want to be a "normal" married couple...how ever you define that term? Why not want to be a traditional stay at home? I know I had plenty to do when I didn't have to work...I did a lot of childcare (4 of my own and half the neighborhood), sewing, cooking, cleaning, gardening, church work, and the etc goes on. I think she will find plenty to interest her and keep her busy. Being a wife is a full time job, especially if you put your best into it! Way to go Kate!!!!

I have no problem with her being a housewife, but her "housewife" and our housewife will be quite different. I doubt she can cook, so shoving a pizza in the oven does not take much time. I doubt she will do cleaning. She probably won't wash the car or mow the lawn or do the laundry or sew her own clothes.

I like Kate, but she will never be a housewife...she'll be a stay-at-home wife and nothing more. My opinion and I'm stickin' to it!

It has been publicly stated that Kate and William will not have servants at their Welsh cottage so Kate and William will be having to do the cleaning and washing for the time being. Personally, I think the Duke and Duchess deserve a bit of down time. I'd like to see them at the big events, but there is no need for them to be full time royals at the mo.

It has been publicly stated that Kate and William will not have servants at their Welsh cottage so Kate and William will be having to do the cleaning and washing for the time being. Personally, I think the Duke and Duchess deserve a bit of down time. I'd like to see them at the big events, but there is no need for them to be full time royals at the mo.

I'm sorry but this public statement is quite stupid. You do not need to be a royal in order to have a househelp. Catherine herself is rich enough that she can easily pay someone to do some cleaning, ironing et cooking for her at home. Millions of people, economically average (not even rich) have this kind og help, maybe once or twice per week, so I do not see why the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge of Great Britain can NOT have it!!!

Don't forget Kate has to learn how the organization works from the inside out. She needs to appoint a lady-in-waiting and get used to working with William and Harry's private secretary before stepping out to do engagements on her own. If she was joining a business, you would not expect her to be running out and making sales calls on her own on the very first day!

Besides, the most important thing right now is solidifying her relationship with William. The rest of her duties can wait. And we will have plenty of opportunities to see her in the next few months with the Trooping of the Colour, Ascot, Order of the Garter services, Prince Philip's 90th birthday, Zara Phillip's wedding, the visit to Canada and possibly the state visit from the U.S.

Great for them! Just like the Queen when she first got married. Shows that William & and Palace are actually supporting this marriage more than anything.

Being primarily a housewife doesn't mean not doing public duties... it just means she won't be a full time member of the RF like Prince Charles or Princess Anne just yet. Remember that there's Canada in July... that in itself it a HUGE commitment -- the first time something like this to happen so soon to a new royal wife.

I agree. There will be some public appearances and events, but they'll be joint for a while. I have no issue with this given that William himself isn't a full-time royal. It will give them the best possible start to their marriage, and to be honest, I would be surprised if she wasn't involving herself in life on Anglesey and it's just not going to be that well known.

I have no problem with her being a housewife, but her "housewife" and our housewife will be quite different. I doubt she can cook, so shoving a pizza in the oven does not take much time. I doubt she will do cleaning. She probably won't wash the car or mow the lawn or do the laundry or sew her own clothes.

I like Kate, but she will never be a housewife...she'll be a stay-at-home wife and nothing more. My opinion and I'm stickin' to it!

In truth, I doubt Kate made any statements to the press as to her plans for the future. IMO, the next few months for her are to get a better understanding of how the royal household works, and to try and identify what causes she is likely to support. She will also probably be doing a fair amount of planning for their forthcoming trip to Canada.

We are unlikely to know about the level of house help they have (which is absolutely fine from my perspective) so I am not sure any distinctions between a stay at home wife and a housewife, IMO, are purely academic.

I have no issue with this given that William himself isn't a full-time royal.

I think this is really the heart of the issue. Catherine's position in the royal family is secondary to William's. She can't very well take on full time royal duties before he does. Right now William's job with the RAF comes first. I'm sure Catherine will have plenty of behind the scenes work to keep her occupied - learning about protocol, history, researching potential patronages, etc. Looking at what they've got coming up - the Canada trip, etc - it all may not seem like that much when compared to what the Queen or the Prince of Wales do, but it will be Catherine's first time doing any of it and I think there will be a ton of prep work she'll have to do to get herself up to speed.

In truth, I doubt Kate made any statements to the press as to her plans for the future. IMO, the next few months for her are to get a better understanding of how the royal household works, and to try and identify what causes she is likely to support. She will also probably be doing a fair amount of planning for their forthcoming trip to Canada.

We are unlikely to know about the level of house help they have (which is absolutely fine from my perspective) so I am not sure any distinctions between a stay at home wife and a housewife, IMO, are purely academic.

Prince William has stated that she does cook, and helped out a lot whenever he tried to cook but couldn't manage it.

Carole Middleton does not appear to be a mother who neglected her daughters upbringing. And being able to cope in a household is part of that. It is known that William and Catherine did the household chores when in St. Andrew's, they like to holiday in secluded lodges and don't have servants in Wales. So who does the work for them? Just because she is a millionaire's daughter and he is a prince does not mean they cannot cook and cannot clean the loo. They're grown-ups after all, no babies.

And cooking is not really difficult....

I'm sorry but this public statement is quite stupid. You do not need to be a royal in order to have a househelp. Catherine herself is rich enough that she can easily pay someone to do some cleaning, ironing et cooking for her at home. Millions of people, economically average (not even rich) have this kind og help, maybe once or twice per week, so I do not see why the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge of Great Britain can NOT have it!!!

Its not a question of money but of privacy. They prefer to be alone, really alone at home, thus they do the work that need to be done themselves instead of having hired help which potentially prying eyes and information for sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom