Drottningholm Palace, Stockholm

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Josefine

Majesty
Country
Sweden
Drottningholm Palace

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q79/MaryMessageBoard/Palaces/IMG_6999_drottningholm.jpg

Drottningholm Palace has been the home of the Royal Family since 1981.
The name Drottningholm (literally "Queen's Island") originated in the late 16th century, when King Johan III built the first Palace on this site, for his Consort, Queen Katarina Jagellonika. The 16th century Palace was destroyed by fire on 30th December 1661. Earlier that year the Queen Dowager, Hedvig Eleonora, had bought the Palace.​

After the fire, the architect Nikodemus Tessin the Elder was commissioned by the Queen Dowager to design a new building, and in 1662 work began on the Palace, as we know it today. At the time, Hedvig Eleonora headed the Regency for the young King Karl XI. The Peace of Westphalia in 1648 had made Sweden one of the most powerful states in Europe, and, according to the contemporary way of looking at things, the Queen, as head of the Government of Sweden, had to be provided with a suitably impressive residence at a convenient distance from the capital​

The Palace was also given an exclusive French Baroque park, large parts of which have been preserved. The bronze sculptures in the park are by Adrian de Vries, one of the most eminent sculptors of the Northern European Renaissance. The collection came to Sweden as booty from Prague and from Fredriksborg Palace in Denmark.​

Nicodemus Tessin the Elder created a number of interiors, which rank among the foremost in Sweden from the early Baroque of the 1660s and 1670s. They include the monumental staircase, the Ehrenstrahl Drawing Room and, not least, Hedvig Eleonora's State Bedchamber. Following the death of Tessin the Elder in 1682, his son Nicodemus Tessin the Younger carried on and completed the great project. Karl XI's gallery, for example, dates from this period.​

Drottningholm remained the residence of the royal ladies, and in 1744 it was given as a wedding present to Princess Lovisa Ulrika of Prussia, on her marriage to the Swedish heir apparent, Adolf Fredrik. Lovisa Ulrika's time at Drottning-holm became a golden age of the arts. Some of the interiors of the Palace - Lovisa Ulrika's Green Antechamber, for example - were redecorated in a French-inspired Rococo style.​

Many of the leading scientists of the age gathered at Drottningholm. Carl von Linné (Linnaeus) worked here, cataloguing the royal collections' "natural objects". Lovisa Ulrika's library stands out as a brilliant memento of the period, which also saw the creation of the famous Drottningholm Court Theatre​

Drottningholm was purchased by the State in 1777, becoming the home of Gustav III. The great romantic "English Park" still surrounding the Baroque Palace and the French formal garden was created at this time.​

Last edited by a moderator:
-----

----

''''

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 3,376
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 3,274
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 3,259
In which part does the family live?
Are there pictures from the inside?

A guide to Stockholm with a diagram of the palace says that the family's apartments are in the west wing facing the formal gardens, not the lake.

The family lives in the wing close to the water

That doesnt seem to big then...How many sqmetres do they have...? Does anyone know? I heard about 22 rooms.

I have read somewhere that CP Victoria has her own appartment of 3 rooms and a kitchen in the same wing, with one (parttime?) servant/ maid to cook and clean and so on for her.

Yes its true that Victoria lives in an own apartment. So does Madeleine and Carl Philip but they live in the actual palace. Victorias apartment is in a smaller house close to the palace. I don´t know if you can see it on the pictures...
Dont know for sure if she has any servants.
I doubt she has one... maybe someone who clean the apartment and things like that, but she´s said that she likes to eat breakfast on her own and that she enjoys having friends over for dinner.

I wonder how much she still is in her "apartment". She travels a lot, and I guess, when she´s at home she´s rather at Daniel´s home :p

Yeah, she probobly spends a lot of time with Daniel in his apartment. Just like Madeleine and Carl Philip spends most of their time with Jonas and Emma.

Looks like the royal couple is all alone at Drottningholm now :p

I toured the east half of Drottningsholm Palace that is open to the tourists and was struck by how thick the walls are between the rooms.

On closer inspection, a number of walls at the doors into the rooms had their own doors .... for servant's use I suppose? ... or for inquisitive paparazzi ?

Are there any plans of Drottningholm? I saw some pictures on old books (1980, 1981) where Silvia was holding plans of Drottningholm.

Does the standard fly at Drottningholm when CG is in the country? When he is in residence at the Palace (meaning that's where he comes home every night, rather than another residence)? Or only when he is in the building?

Attachments

• The Green Drawing Room.jpg
    The Green Drawing Room.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 3,055
  • The Library (Queen Lovisa Ulrika's Library).jpg
    The Library (Queen Lovisa Ulrika's Library).jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 4,126
  • The Lower North Guardroom.jpg
    The Lower North Guardroom.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 3,154
  • Hallway, stairs hall.jpg
    Hallway, stairs hall.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 3,961
  • The Green Cabinet.jpg
    The Green Cabinet.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 4,096
  • Karl XI's Gallery.jpg
    Karl XI's Gallery.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 3,117
  • Hedvig Eleonora's Parade Bedroom.jpg
    Hedvig Eleonora's Parade Bedroom.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 1,158
Wow, it all looks great!

We visited the Royal Palace in Stockholm and Drottningholm this summer when we were in Sweden and really liked it! We were inside of Drottningholm and it was so exciting :)

thabk you for the photos.

i would like to know if there is a church in drottningholm castle as it is one iin the royal palace

Yes, there is a church at Drottningholm. On christmas day the royal family goes to the mass(sp?) there.

this is what it says on www.royalcourt.se

DROTTNINGHOLMS SLOTTSKYRKA
Slottskyrkan invigdes i maj 1746. Under kyrkans drygt 250-åriga historia har det kontinuerligt hållits förrättningar. Slottskyrkan används idag av Lovö församling som håller högmässa sista söndagen varje månad.

My pictures of the palaces I visited this past summer and then added pictures off are taking a bit much of my bandwidth at Photobucket. I will let the broschure and Corbis pics be in my earlier posts be, but I will now re-post the pictures I took myself of the palaces as attachments.

My pictures of Drottningholm Palace from 7 July 2004 - Part 1:

Attachments

• 142878.jpg
    142878.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 744
  • 34647.jpg
    34647.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 650
  • 3463636.jpg
    3463636.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 604
  • 346346.jpg
    346346.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 607
  • 34463.jpg
    34463.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 816
  • 264646.jpg
    264646.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 660
  • 246246.jpg
    246246.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 686
  • 21426468.jpg
    21426468.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 693
  • 13524.jpg
    13524.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 800
  • 12437.jpg
    12437.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 666
My pictures of the palaces I visited this past summer and then added pictures off are taking a bit much of my bandwidth at Photobucket. I will let the broschure and Corbis pics be in my earlier posts be, but I will now re-post the pictures I took myself of the palaces as attachments.

My pictures of Drottningholm Palace from 7 July 2004 - Part 2:

Attachments

• 363463.jpg
    363463.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 655
  • 56457.jpg
    56457.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 605
  • 5732352.jpg
    5732352.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 659
  • 57475.jpg
    57475.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 626
  • 5367357.jpg
    5367357.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 581
  • 5246357.jpg
    5246357.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 649
  • 462626.jpg
    462626.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 685
  • 436357.jpg
    436357.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 633
  • 35456.jpg
    35456.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 631
  • 462351.jpg
    462351.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 757

My pictures of Drottningholm Palace from 7 July 2004 - Part 3:

Attachments

• 64346324.jpg
    64346324.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 474
  • 6834743.jpg
    6834743.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 444
  • 656847.jpg
    656847.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 417
  • 64754.jpg
    64754.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 450
  • 645747.jpg
    645747.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 387
  • 621352.jpg
    621352.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 437
GrandDuchess said:
As I noted in earlier posts, Villa Solbacken is the home of Princess Lilian.
Oh! I thought she lived with the Family at Drottningholm. By the way, is the part in which the Royal Family lives the same size, shape, rooms etc as the one you can visit?

Helen88 said:
Oh! I thought she lived with the Family at Drottningholm. By the way, is the part in which the Royal Family lives the same size, shape, rooms etc as the one you can visit?
no one knows for sure, as the press almost never is allowed to film there.
But I know that when the royal family moved there in 1982, alot of things was beeing done. They had to get modern electricity, water and so on. And perhaps they changed the apartment to, like make the rooms smaller/bigger etc...

as i understand victoiria lives at a wing near the lake its on drottningholm estate but its not conected with the castle
i saw something about that at ritvas page in the magazines i thought she lived in a apartment in the castle

Helen88 said:

Crown Princess Victoria lives in a wing (Sjöflygeln, translates to the See Wing) , which lies just by the water next to Drottningholm Palace.

The King and Queen live in Drottningholm Palace. There are some parts in the palace that the public is allowed to visit, but the majority of the rooms are shut off to visitors. The royal couple have a large apartment in the palace.

GrandDuchess said:
There are some parts in the palace that the public is allowed to visit, but the majority of the rooms are shut off to visitors. The royal couple have a large apartment in the palace.
That contradicts my memories ..... I got the impression in 2000 that the east HALF of the palace is open to the public, while the west half is private.

This division is respected by a dinky fence in the formal garden to the north of the palace.

hrhcp said:
That contradicts my memories ..... I got the impression in 2000 that the east HALF of the palace is open to the public, while the west half is private.
This division is respected by a dinky fence in the formal garden to the north of the palace.
True, half of the palace is open to the public, but I dont think that includes all rooms in that half.

btw, I read somewhere that the royal familys apartment includes about 30 rooms... thats alot for 5 / 2 persons :)

Yennie said:
True, half of the palace is open to the public, but I dont think that includes all rooms in that half.

btw, I read somewhere that the royal familys apartment includes about 30 rooms... thats alot for 5 / 2 persons :)
Yes, it looks like half of the palace is open to visitors - but not all the rooms on the half that tourists can visit are open - quite a large part is closed off to visitors beyond the rooms one can walk through.

And yes, the King and Queen's private apartment is very large - I've also read or heard that it's about 30 rooms big.

GrandDuchess said:
And yes, the King and Queen's private apartment is very large - I've also read or heard that it's about 30 rooms big.
I think he needs all the space to keep all the presents he gets as the head of state on state visits etc :)

drottningholm palace

this is the stensalongen and it shows how it looked during Gustaf VI Adolf lived there and it is now a livingroom
this room is also the living room for the king and queen but it looks different
they live in the south wing
drottningholm has 220 rooms the king and queen uses about 20 rooms for their apartment but many of them are guests rooms and only is of useed sometimes
they have renovated but not changed any blue prints

in early 80's there was 10 that worked for the royal couple but not 24/7

Madeleine was the first royal born there since Gustaf V 1858

Attachments

• skanna0030.jpg
    skanna0030.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 765
Back
Top Bottom