Diana's Friends, Lovers and Bodyguards

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Its always OK to disagree methinks. It is what makes for a good discussion. I enjoy it and I'm sure we'll have many more discussions in the future. :D

Yes i know that, but the PPO that Wharfre reported to DID work with Charles. So it is harldy surprising that Diana, with her very suspicious nature, would have been uneasy about that.
Obivously we disagree strongly as I take the Official secrets act seriously and wharfe clearly didn't. and he did not take loyalty to his principal very seriously. Like Hewitt, he was In a position through the accident of his job, to know things about Diana that she had a right tot keep private.. and he clearly felt when he wanted some extra money that all that meant nothing.
I can't believe that its justifiable to tell about things like Diana's affair with Hoare and how he "teased her about playng strip poker.. "
however end of as we're not going to agree...

Just as a clarification to this, Charles' PPO did work with Charles. Charles' PPO however was not the person that Wharfe had to report to. Wharfe reported to his commanding officer at Scotland Yard the same as Charles' PPO had to. The only times that Wharfe and Charles' PPO really came in contact with each other is when Charles and Diana were doing something together such as a tour, an event or even a joint vacation somewhere. ;)

It would be the same if both you and I had protection from Scotland Yard. Mine would report to Scotland Yard as much as yours would but it would be totally different protection detail work.

wel my understanding was that Charles' PPO was Ken W's direct boss so he had to report to him. And DIana feared that Wharfe was also leaking stories to the papers.. so I amnt surprised that she began to get uneasy wit him, and to get uneasy with the whole idea of having Royal PPOs who were bound to be working with her husband's "team" and the RFs" team". So she foolishly cast off her police protection. I can understand why Wharfe may have felt that if she did something silly like jumping out of a window to go and see someone, at night, he could not fully protect her. But if that was the case, if he felt she did't trust him and he could not work with her, the thing to do was simply to ask for a transfer and let her be someone else's problem.

wel my understanding was that Charles' PPO was Ken W's direct boss so he had to report to him. And DIana feared that Wharfe was also leaking stories to the papers.. so I amnt surprised that she began to get uneasy wit him, and to get uneasy with the whole idea of having Royal PPOs who were bound to be working with her husband's "team" and the RFs" team". So she foolishly cast off her police protection. I can understand why Wharfe may have felt that if she did something silly like jumping out of a window to go and see someone, at night, he could not fully protect her. But if that was the case, if he felt she did't trust him and he could not work with her, the thing to do was simply to ask for a transfer and let her be someone else's problem.

Wharfe covers his responsibility to his commanding officer at Scotland Yard quite early on in the book. He started out as Will and Harry's PPO and then was assigned to Diana. What you pointed out that if Wharfe felt he could not trust her and she couldn't trust him in keeping her safe, it was time to go and he did request transfer from her detail and it was granted by Scotland Yard. He then, I believe, worked in the protection department for visiting royals and VIPs. He was the one that walked away from the job of protecting Diana.

What you say though about Diana being mistrusting of anything that had to do with her royal status rings very true though. With everything going on around her, she found it hard to trust anybody that remotely resembled the "Establishment", it was easy for her to think that everyone around her wanted to "control" her and keep her in line. I do agree that the worst thing she ever could do is refuse a protection officer and went it alone. If she had had proper protection of her own, I know without a doubt she'd be alive today.

Its possible that towards the end of Wharfe's detail that Diana could have imagined anything. From what Wharfe relates though, it was he that sometimes had to deal with intrusive press and would be a go between Diana and the press to get her the privacy that she craved at times. One time he even reported that Scotland Yard called him on the carpet for it as his job is not to play press secretary and negotiate deals with them for Diana.

All in all, I thought Wharfe gave a good insight in what its like to be on the job to keep someone very much in the public eye safe and secure. It was more along those lines to me rather than relating embarrassing things about Diana.

But he did relate embarrassing things about Diana. he did reveal things that she wanted kept private. He may not have officially broken the OS act, but he broke the spirit of it and was disloyal to the woman he was engaged to protect. I agree that Diana was very suspsicius and paranoid at times, its possible that she was wrong about Wharfe selling stoires to the papers but in the end he DID sell his story, for a better price than he would have got for a few newspaper articles. So perhaps she was right abot him and he was not to be trusted.
Now he is still making a career of being Dis' ex bodyguard, and prattling on about Will and Harry, whom he knew a bit for a few years over 20 years ago...

I'm at the point now that I think I would go seriously into hock if I were to find and buy every book that someone has written about Diana. From her lovers to her staff to her protection officer and a whole slew of other people, there's a lot of books out there on this woman.

Books cost money and I've yet to see any book about Diana that was offered to the general readers for free. Its how authorship of a book work. Each and every book written about Diana could be accused of using Diana as a cash cow. Each and every book written gives another insight into her life and times and we walk away from them knowing a bit more about the human being that was Diana.

Some we like, some we can do without and we do form opinions on the material presented. One thing we know for sure is that in the years to come, anyone with a remote interest in Diana will have an entire section of a library to choose to read about her from.

Without Ken Wharf's book we'd have never had this discussion about her security detail, his relationship to Diana and some of the interesting things that they shared together during those years.

Its all good.

well I am tired of reiterating that as a Polcieman, Wharfe is completely in the wrong in writing his books..So I wont repeat it again

The love affair that shocked the world… told by the people who watched it unfold: Why Diana dumped the Muslim doctor she hoped to marry for a billionaire’s son

• Richard Kay, the writer who knew Diana best, and his colleague Geoffrey Levy bring you the full untold story of her love affair with playboy Dodi Fayed and the lovers the princess took before him
  • Intimate photos of their holiday in St Tropez captured the couples last days together before their death

Richard Kay, the writer who knew Diana best, and his colleague Geoffrey Levy bring you the full untold story of her love affair with playboy Dodi Fayed and the lovers the princess took before him.

Last edited by a moderator:
'I was happy to give it all up to go off and live with him': New tapes reveal how Diana fell 'deeply in love' with her 6ft 'Jack the Lad' police bodyguard before he died in a car crash (and she was sure he'd been 'bumped off')

• Princess Diana poured her heart to her voice coach on soon-to-be aired videos
  • In them, she said Prince Charles only wanted to have sex once every three weeks
  • Confessed to falling 'madly in love' with her police bodyguard Barry Mannakee
  • Diana would only talk about him as 'somebody who worked in this environment'
  • 'He was the greatest fellow I have ever had ,' she told voice coach Peter Settelen

Last edited by a moderator:
The tapes aren't new (obviously) and have been peddled before. Just not in the UK.

Honestly, Diana's choices are like a guidebook titled: Sleazy types to be avoided!

But she said herself that she had the worst taste in men.

No, the tapes isn't new. It aired here in the US just a couple of years ago.

I find it very disappointing that these so called "journalists" like to use Diana's most painful and private times of her life to make money off of her by telling the same stories over and over again. I mean, don't they ever get tired of writing and revising the same old stale drama over and over again?

These people who Richard Kay and Geoffrey Levy are talking about have aged and clearly moved on in their lives. None of them are thinking about the past, but these "journalists" feel there's a need to bring up old garbage of people's mistakes and painful pasts on a regular bases. It's just sick.

I thoroughly agree with you Dman. There is absolutely no need for this, and what her sons must feel when they hear about it Heaven knows! It's just despicable really.

I thoroughly agree with you Dman. There is absolutely no need for this, and what her sons must feel when they hear about it Heaven knows! It's just despicable really.

It's like they don't have any new and fresh subjects to write about, so they use Diana again and again to make them some money and keep themselves relevant.

The reporters are not doing this in a vacuum, they write about and rehash stories because there is interest in her.

The reporters are not doing this in a vacuum, they write about and rehash stories because there is interest in her.

If they can't find anything new to write about, they should look for a new line of work. It's the same thing over and over again.

:previous: Yes, iQueen Claude, n general. However, I don't believe in 2017 that there is huge interest among the British public in how many lovers Diana may or may not have had. The DM is particular goes for the sleaze factor every time.

:previous:

I totally agree with you for IMO I am sick of all the Diana dirt time and time again, the same old dirt wrote with a fee different strokes of the pen for they the media have nothing else to write about. Their, reporters, are so out of control in who they think they are as some one important. I seriously doubt there is much interest in any country about how many lovers she had or how many times she cried or how often she and Charles had fights....it is done with, moot, move on or get a different job.........:bang:

I find it very hard to believe Diana would choose a mutt like Dodi Fayed as a potential spouse. Plus the ring that supposedly Dodi was going to give Diana as an engagement ring was just gaudy and ugly. I couldn't see her wearing something like that for as stylish as she was. Was money the big attraction for her hooking up with Dodi? I just don't believe she could love someone like Dodi.

I think it was just a summer holiday romance as far as Diana was concerned. Nothing more, nothing less. Diana wouldn't have married Dodi Al Fayed in a million years, IMO.

To be honest, I think that possibly the attraction to Dodi Al-Fayed was that this was a man that fawned over her, made a big fuss over her and put her on a pedestal of adoration. This, in my opinion, was what "love" was to Diana and how it should be expressed.

I also believe that should the romance have continued, sooner or later something would have happened that shed a light of reality on the persona of Dodi. He was a consummate playboy and if he could have put on such a show wooing Diana while having a fiance' nearby on a separate yacht, chances are that his nature would eventually come to light once the "magic" of the newfound romance petered out.

Diana was searching for the fairy tale paperback romance which disintegrates into fairy dust when reality hits it. ;)

I find it very hard to believe Diana would choose a mutt like Dodi Fayed as a potential spouse. Plus the ring that supposedly Dodi was going to give Diana as an engagement ring was just gaudy and ugly. I couldn't see her wearing something like that for as stylish as she was. Was money the big attraction for her hooking up with Dodi? I just don't believe she could love someone like Dodi.

I'm with you on that!
Dodi wasn't an unknown quantity, he had a reputation, and it wasn't pretty.
Diana had to know.

So I think he was just an I'll show you! to Charles- hooking up with someone about as sleazy as you can get.

An I'll show you to Charles or Hasnat Khan?

But Diana did sustain a relationship with Hasnet Khan for two years or so, Osipi, and presumably some of his 'real' nature slipped out sometime after the initial 'magic' passed. And if we are talking about fawning and putting on a pedestal there is plenty of that going on in the embarrassing Camillagate tapes, in one direction, from Camilla to Charles. And ego in his reply 'Your greatest achievement is loving me'. !!

An I'll show you to Charles or Hasnat Khan?

My guess is to Charles.

Diana had already ended things with Khan, and that follows a familiar pattern.
She was the one who broke it off, and once she'd broken with someone, that was it- it was like, in her eyes, they no longer existed.

So she would not have cared about making him jealous, despite what the tabloids might print about him as the love of her life.

But she could never break completely with Charles, because of their sons.
There'd always be a connection.

(Besides, she knew what the RF, and the aristocracy, thought of the Fayeds).

Diana's 'spite' in hooking up with the likes of Dodi Al Fayed is all too clear, yet many people 'take her at her word' in the interview recently resurrected by Channel 4, in the UK. She was a 'user' of anyone who might further whatever 'fad' she currently had, regardless of their feelings. And 'drop them like a stone' when she'd moved on.

Obviously a Woman of considerable mental instability...as I learn more of her I like her less and less...

Diana's 'spite' in hooking up with the likes of Dodi Al Fayed is all too clear, yet many people 'take her at her word' in the interview recently resurrected by Channel 4, in the UK. She was a 'user' of anyone who might further whatever 'fad' she currently had, regardless of their feelings. And 'drop them like a stone' when she'd moved on.

Obviously a Woman of considerable mental instability...as I learn more of her I like her less and less...
what on earth "spite" was ivolved???? she dated Dodi for a few weeks, she seems to have grown to like him, but she was not according to various thngs she said, serious abuot him. It was a summer romance. he was not that serious about her, since he had another woman.. but I think he did like her and it was no hardship to spent a few weeks with her, and to consider marriage if his father was trying to promote one.
if she had dropped him, it would hardly break his heart.

My guess is to Charles.

Diana had already ended things with Khan, and that follows a familiar pattern.
She was the one who broke it off, and once she'd broken with someone, that was it- it was like, in her eyes, they no longer existed.

So she would not have cared about making him jealous, despite what the tabloids might print about him as the love of her life.

the aristocracy, thought of the Fayeds).
Of course she would care. Absurd IMO to say that once she had broken with someone "they never existed." how can you possibly know that? I think that it is obvious that she was (durng that summer) hurt by the fact that Khan, though he loved her, didn't want to marry her.. and it was clear that their relationship was going nowhere.. so to have a Muslim boyfriend like Dodi, who was happy to be seen with her.. was something she could "show him" with..
It was a rebound romance, I think she "clicked" with Dodi, or she would not have dated him.. Observers said that there was a spark between them.. and they had both had sad family backgrounds, loneliness in childhood, been under-acheivers, etc. So I think that she and he had enough in common for a short light hearted romance... and it was nice for her, after hiding her men for years, to be seen in public with a man who was glad to be seen with her.. and esp after Khan had been so reluctant to make their romance known evne to his family.
And she was also hurt by Charles' behaviour. She never entirely stopped caring for him, and she was always tied ot him by the boys, and it hurt her to see him being increasingly open in his affair with Camilla and knowing that in due course she was probably going to see him marrying Camilla and her boys having her as a step mother. So for those 2 reasons she was happy to have Dodi as a boyfriend..

Of course she would care. Absurd IMO to say that once she had broken with someone "they never existed." how can you possibly know that?

How can you possibly know that she would care?
You see? We all have our impressions, and without knowing someone personally, that is what we have to go by.

I'm basing my opinion on what happened with Hewitt, Gilbey, and others.
Once she had ended the relationship, she totally cut people off.
That happened not only with lovers but also with former friends like Fergie.
Diana dropped them and that was that.

Back
Top Bottom