Death of Inés Zorreguieta, Queen Máxima's Sister: June 5, 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Poor Maxima! She looks like she is in absolute shock & disbelief. I hope the 3 young princesses are ok.

How for one Sister life is a Fairy tail and for the other life was hell !

I hope the family can mourn and say goodbye to Ines in peace. She was a private citizen after all.

Poor Maxima! She looks like she is in absolute shock & disbelief. I hope the 3 young princesses are ok.

That picture of Queen Máxima is from last year when she left the hospital after visiting her father.

That picture of Queen Máxima is from last year when she left the hospital after visiting her father.

Thank you for the correction. I certainly hope the media will giver her & her family space & privacy at this dreadful time.

I think this time it's different, of course the death of Maxima's father was hard but there is a difference between an old and ill parent passing after having lived a full life (a fact that can be a great consolation) and a younger sister ending her own life due to depression, with family in the end unable to help.
I guess Inez' death will be much more devastating for Maxima and it will not be easy for her to live with it. I wonder if it will have an effect on her vibrant personality.

Apparently the funeral will be today at 5 pm Argentinian time at the same grave yard as where her father is buried so in about half an hour. The Dutch part of the family arrived this morning (probably Maxima's brother Juan and sister-in-law Andrea travelled with them).

The king, queen and daughters will return to the Netherlands this weekend (either all on Saturday afternoon or the king on Saturday and Maxima and the girls on Sunday?), so the princesses will be back in school on Monday (or Tuesday) and the king is on time for his three statevisits the upcoming week.

Last edited:
Oh gosh, such terrible and saddening news. Ines was far too young, but hopefully she is with comfort now. My thoughts and condolences are with Queen Maxima and her family during this tragic time. Maxima and Ines seem to have shared a fairly close relationship.

So much more needs to be done about mental health. There are too many people who believe that mental health isn’t an issue or if it is, should just be kept quiet about. But I reckon that if everyone who suffered from mental health was able to speak up about their experiences, and share their stories with others, then there would be much less people suffering. Sometimes just the knowledge that there are others like you and others who can help is enough to get someone with depression through it.

I don't think in this case the problem was that they didn't talk about it. Her problems were well-known by the family and apparently máxima and I assume other family members as well tried to help her in different ways.

Not that I think you were implying that but just wanted to provide some background information.

Last edited:
I don't think in this case the problem was that they didn't talk about it. Her problems were well-known by the family and apparently Máxima and I assume other family members as well tried to help her in different ways.

I know, I'm not insinuating that the family didn't try to help Ines, because the Zorreguietas seem to be quite close. As someone who suffers from depression myself; I'm just saying that sometimes that's all it takes for someone in this situation sometimes - to know that there are those out there who understands. Just a general comment, I wasn't criticising the family because I'm sure they did their best to help Ines.

I'm sorry to hear that. Hope tou have people around who understand at those times.

Inés in a video, poster by her (and Máxima's) youngest brother Martín.

https://www.nu.nl/buitenland/530503...res-uitvaart-jongste-zus-koningin-maxima.html

Oh gosh, such terrible and saddening news. Ines was far too young, but hopefully she is with comfort now. My thoughts and condolences are with Queen Maxima and her family during this tragic time. Maxima and Ines seem to have shared a fairly close relationship.

So much more needs to be done about mental health. There are too many people who believe that mental health isn’t an issue or if it is, should just be kept quiet about. But I reckon that if everyone who suffered from mental health was able to speak up about their experiences, and share their stories with others, then there would be much less people suffering. Sometimes just the knowledge that there are others like you and others who can help is enough to get someone with depression through it.

It seems that the family in Argentina as well in the Netherlands cared about the wellbeing of Inés. That is probably why María del Carmen (the mother) was alarmed when Inés did not respond on her calls earlier that day.

It seems that Queen Máxima has offered Inés to live in the Netherlands. But apparently Inés turned down that offer. She seems to have been in the Netherlands quite often.

It will not have been a secret at all. The King's late father had severe depressions and was admitted into psychiatric clinics in Germany. The late Prince Claus never healed. He told about it. The "soul pain" is terrible, sometimes unbearable even, the Prince told in a tv interview.

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems that the family in Argentina as well in the Netherlands cared about the wellbeing of Inés. That is probably why María del Carmen (the mother) was alarmed when Inés did not respond on her calls earlier that day.

It seems that Queen Máxima has offered Inés to live in the Netherlands. But apparently Inés turned down that offer. She seems to have been in the Netherlands quite often.

It will not have been a secret at all. The King's late father had severe depressions and was admitted into psychiatric clinics in Germany. The late Prince Claus never healed. He told about it. The "soul pain" is terrible, sometimes unbearable even, the Prince told in a tv interview.

It seems that you missed my post, but to stress again:
I know, I'm not insinuating that the family didn't try to help Ines, because the Zorreguietas seem to be quite close. As someone who suffers from depression myself; I'm just saying that sometimes that's all it takes for someone in this situation sometimes - to know that there are those out there who understands. Just a general comment, I wasn't criticising the family because I'm sure they did their best to help Ines.

According to this article (in Spanish), Inés siblings and her three nieces sang a song by Bob Marley and the song 'Knockin' on Heaven's Door' by Bob Dylan at their sister/aunt's funeral this afternoon. The first lady of Argentina and designer Benito Fernandez (who told the above) were present among the family and friends of Inés.

According to this article (in Spanish), Inés siblings and her three nieces sang a song by Bob Marley and the song 'Knockin' on Heaven's Door' by Bob Dylan at their sister/aunt's funeral this afternoon. The first lady of Argentina and designer Benito Fernandez (who told the above) were present among the family and friends of Inés.

What a lovely thing to do. Not sure i would have the composure to even attempt this. Is there any practical reason why funerals take place so soon in Argentina. I know Máximas father’s was also arranged quickly. In England, there can be a week or two before it happens and this prolongs the agony in my opinion. Saying a final goodbye means you can then deal with your grief.

What a lovely thing to do. Not sure i would have the composure to even attempt this. Is there any practical reason why funerals take place so soon in Argentina. I know Máximas father’s was also arranged quickly. In England, there can be a week or two before it happens and this prolongs the agony in my opinion. Saying a final goodbye means you can then deal with your grief.

I read somewhere that the funeral needs to take place within 48 hours according to Argentinian law. In Máxima's father's case they had to apply for an extension.

In the Netherlands at least 36 hours need to have passed before the funeral or cremation can take place; and at the latest it should be on the 6th business day. In practice, about 5 (normal) days seems quite common.

Last edited:
How unpleasant for Queen Maxima. May the dear Lord bless Ines.

I read somewhere that the funeral needs to take place within 48 hours according to Argentinian law. In Máxima's father's case they had to apply for an extension.

In the Netherlands at least 36 hours need to have passed before the funeral or cremation can take place; and at the latest it should be on the 6th business day. In practice, about 5 (normal) days seems quite common.

Thanks. Its interesting how different things are around the world.

This is correct, it is not custom in Argentina to keep bodies in freezers, it has to be done between the 48 hours , I suppose it has to do with decomposition of a body and smell? and the fact that normally is open casket and people come to pay respect to the desease and the family.

glad to see they were given respect to mourn in peace.

i saw ariane (?) in one of the pictures looking quite upset. i imagine ines was close to them being the youngest of their aunts/uncles.

the video of ines singing is beautiful - she had a lovely singing voice.

It was lovely of the siblings and nieces to sing, I doubt that I would have been able to perform in public in the tragic circumstances.
I'm also glad the DRF were able to mourn relatively privately. I remember at Friso's funeral the photos were more intrusively taken, zooming right in on the AAA's and Zaria and Luana.

the media is reporting that ines was a psychologist and she did her final dissertation on the effect of gender on suicide. she concluded that women were more likely to seek mental health help than men.

glad to see they were given respect to mourn in peace.

i saw ariane (?) in one of the pictures looking quite upset. i imagine ines was close to them being the youngest of their aunts/uncles.

the video of ines singing is beautiful - she had a lovely singing voice.

it appears it was alexia who was crying and being consoled by some family friends:
https://www.bekia.es/celebrities/fo...nda-desconsolada-muerte-tia-ines-zorreguieta/

nice to see that the princesses are close to their mum's family and to their mum's friends.

a better picture of WA and maxima is below:
https://img.bekia.es/galeria/129000...ermo-alejandro-funeral-ines-zorreguieta_m.jpg

it appears that it is alexia, or maybe amalia, next to maxima on the picture looking visibly upset again.

Last edited:
It was lovely of the siblings and nieces to sing, I doubt that I would have been able to perform in public in the tragic circumstances.
I'm also glad the DRF were able to mourn relatively privately. I remember at Friso's funeral the photos were more intrusively taken, zooming right in on the AAA's and Zaria and Luana.

The main difference is that Friso was a prince and son of the queen while Inés was a completely private citizen who happened to have a very famous sister. So, allowing the Dutch people to mourn with their royal family for the loss of one of our princes made sense while taking pictures at this funeral doesn't.

Another important difference in mourning is that Friso had been in a coma for about 2 1/2 years when he died and the family knew his life was coming to an end at the not so distant future, so mourning had been taking place for quite some time, still hard byt different. This is raw, they only heard on Thursday morning that their aunt whom they most likely had fun with less than two weeks ago had taken her own life and they had to fly to Argentina that same evening to bury her the next day.

Death of Inés Zorreguieta, queen Máxima`s sister: June 5,2018

The main difference is that Friso was a prince and son of the queen while Inés was a completely private citizen who happened to have a very famous sister. So, allowing the Dutch people to mourn with their royal family for the loss of one of our princes made sense while taking pictures at this funeral doesn't.

Another important difference in mourning is that Friso had been in a coma for about 2 1/2 years when he died and the family knew his life was coming to an end at the not so distant future, so mourning had been taking place for quite some time, still hard byt different. This is raw, they only heard on Thursday morning that their aunt whom they most likely had fun with less than two weeks ago had taken her own life and they had to fly to Argentina that same evening to bury her the next day.

Yes, I’m aware of the differences between the two situations and I wasn’t against Friso’s funeral being public, since it’s expected given the fact that he was a prince and member of the immediate royal family. It was still an upsetting time for the family regardless so the issue I had was not with the funeral being public but with the way the photographers took the photos of mourning children up close; which I thought I had made clear.
Now is not the time to compare though and I only mentioned Friso because I was glad that Ines’s funeral could be more private given the fact her death had been quite widely reported about.

Last edited:
the media is reporting that ines was a psychologist and she did her final dissertation on the effect of gender on suicide. she concluded that women were more likely to seek mental health help than men.

it appears it was alexia who was crying and being consoled by some family friends:
https://www.bekia.es/celebrities/fo...nda-desconsolada-muerte-tia-ines-zorreguieta/

nice to see that the princesses are close to their mum's family and to their mum's friends.

a better picture of WA and maxima is below:
https://img.bekia.es/galeria/129000...ermo-alejandro-funeral-ines-zorreguieta_m.jpg

it appears that it is alexia, or maybe amalia, next to maxima on the picture looking visibly upset again.

Yes, I am surprised to see how the Dutch princesses were so close to their aunt from Argentina. Apparently, however, Inés was quite often in the Netherlands and Máxima even invited her to live there. If tragedy had not intervened, I could see an arrangement similar to that of Queen Sofía and her sister Irene developing over time.

It must be quite shocking really to lose such a young sister/aunt under those circumstances. My sincere condolences to the Zorreguieta and Orange-Nassau families.

I am seriously concerned about the mental state of Mrs. Maria del Carmen Zorrequieta; the sight of her daughter hanged (remember that it was SHE who found Ines! Does more horrible experience for a mother exist?) will probably haunt her in nightmares:reaper::cry::furious::bang: till the end of her life.

Back
Top Bottom