Crown Princess Mary and The Mary Foundation : 2007 - 2024

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Continuation of the coverage in Billed Bladet of Mary's visit to Greenland.

Summary of article in Billed Bladet #24, 2012.
Børnene klæbede til Mary - The children were like glued to Mary.
Written by Anna Johannesen.

The Free from Bullying project is in Greenland called Kammagiitta and both the Mary Foundation and Save the Children went to see what that had led to.
They visited the small town of Illulissat and the hamlet of Saqgaq. (*)
The DRF are very popular as it is Greenland, with Mary and Frederik being the superstars and that is basically how Mary was treated.

Kammagiitta has now been in effect for a couple of years and the results are already showing. The children have become more open and caring towards each other, they are better at solving conflicts among themselves and they have become better mates.
They have also made their own songs to be used as a part of the project, so Mary was of course treated to singing and dancing on the topic of Kammagiitta.

The total population of the hamlet of Saqqaq is 180 and practically everyone had turned out, including visitors from neighbouring hamlets up and down the coast.
Mary's camera was busy, both in regards to capturing the landscape and the local children. (**) Mary also left her autograph, scratched into a window pane in the very small local school.

Mary said about the visit: "Greenland has always had a special place in my husband, the Crown Princes', heart and after my first visit - also in mine".

The run, which is a part of the project, was also a thing started by Mary and the children got a medal by Mary when the crossed the finishing line. (***)
Mary also visited a family crisis centre in the small town of Illulissat before leaving. (****)

The head of Danish Save the Children, Mimi Jacobsen was also a part of the delegation and she said: "The human values are the same everywhere. We just simply to learn how to behave decently towards each other".

Mimi Jacobsen said about Mary: "It was a great pleasure to see how heartily the Crown Princess was recieved by the Greenlandic children. They were crazy about her. Mary, Mary, was heard from everywhere and she acknowleged that with a smile handshakes. In one place the line with children was at least 100 meters long and she didn't skip a single one of them".

(*) Probably a wise thing to do as there is a larger concentration of Danes in the major towns, which inevitable willl result in some cultural influence. But as so much of Greenland consists of small towns and hamlets, they would wittness a more purely Greenlandic approach to Free from Bullying.

(**) I remember Frederik saying something about how they used pictures to explain to Christian (back then) what mum and dad were doing when they were away.

(***) She did the same thing a short while back here in DK.

(****) Unfortunately domestic problems is a huge issue in Greenland, so such centres are very much a necessity. Some centres are for children only, so they have a place to go when both mum and dad are drunk.

My gosh, I had no idea this was the way things are in Greenland. We Americans sometimes have this Disneyfied idea of certain countries, and I would think Greenland is one of them.

Nice to see Mary involved in such a worthy cause, and I hope the children get some inspiration from her.

My gosh, I had no idea this was the way things are in Greenland. We Americans sometimes have this Disneyfied idea of certain countries, and I would think Greenland is one of them.

Nice to see Mary involved in such a worthy cause, and I hope the children get some inspiration from her.

Fortunately Greenlandic politicians are now dealing with the problem in earnest, with the help of UN. But it takes time.

Frederik opened such a crisis centre for children in Northern Greenland two or three years ago. It was a combination of an activity centre for children and youths, but also a place to go when necessary.

Unfortunately it isn't just children who are suffering. Many Greenlanders in the hamlets own dogs, either because they live from fishing and hunting or becuase they go hunting from time to time. When the owner go on a binge for days, the dogs, who are tied outside, are not fed or watered.
Sledge dogs are very tough, but still....

You are welcome, Daria_S :)

Fortunately Greenlandic politicians are now dealing with the problem in earnest, with the help of UN. But it takes time.

Frederik opened such a crisis centre for children in Northern Greenland two or three years ago. It was a combination of an activity centre for children and youths, but also a place to go when necessary.

Unfortunately it isn't just children who are suffering. Many Greenlanders in the hamlets own dogs, either because they live from fishing and hunting or becuase they go hunting from time to time. When the owner go on a binge for days, the dogs, who are tied outside, are not fed or watered.
Sledge dogs are very tough, but still....

You are welcome, Daria_S :)

I know someone who lived in Alaska for several years and outside of cities there's a lot of drinking going on as well. It must be the isolation and the cold and the dark.

Crown Princess Mary has attended the start of The Mary Foundation's project LæseLeg at a kindergarten in Brøndby today, August 28, 2012. The project is part of the anti-bullying programme and tries to improve the communication skills by dialogic reading followed by role play, retelling of stories, own storytelling, drawing and painting activities and much more. And better communication skills improve and strengthen the (sense of) togetherness.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** go.tv2.dk gallery *

** go.tv2.dk: Kronprinsesse Mary tog i børnehave ** translation **

Lovely pictures, and what a great cause! Bullying is something that should not be accepted, and I'm so glad Mary's foundation is working to make sure that that occurs. On a lighter note, I love the pictures of little girls all dressed up as 'princesses'. Meeting a 'real' one probably made their day :D.

Since this is a Mary Foundation project, was Caroline Heering present too? I can't spot her on the pics.

Translation of article in Billed Bladet #37, 2012.
Jeg inspirerer mine børn – I inspire my children.
Written by Ulrik Ulriksen.

Crown Princess Mary was the profile of the day when the Mary Foundation’s ReadPlay-introduction event was launched at the Kindergarten The Swan in Brøndby Strand. (Part of Copenhagen).
The project is created in order to give kindergarten-children more words (a larger vocabulary) and the courage to use them. By having stories read out aloud and then talk about the children gain more self confidence and (they) become better skilled at maintaining and establishing new relations to other children. That’s what a brand new research shows, explained by among others the Crown Princess in the kindergarten, where she also read to and played with the many children in a way she seemed very secure and confident with. And there is a good reason for that.
That’s the way Mary in private at home in the children’s room at Amalienborg reads to her four children. That she told about to Billed Bladet during a vacant moment at the visit to the kindergarten.
- “I’ve read aloud for my children from they were very young. I haven’t from the start used the method the pedagogues use and have demonstrated today, but I read very interactively and inspire to discussion, when we read aloud”, said Mary.
- “What I do is probably akin to the ReadPlay principle, but it’s first and foremost. I encourage my children to discussion and listen to what they think about the story and what they think a good ending to the story could be”, explained the Crown Princess, who as far as possible also include he two youngest when she reads aloud.
- “The twins are sitting there when I read aloud. And they point and make sounds, but (they) can’t really answer the questions. But they enjoy it and that’s what reading aloud is also about. That is to enjoy the togetherness, you have when you read together”.
The ReadPlay project is very much about making being read to more alive for the little children. The Crown Princess has certainly also been inspired to dramatize her reading to her own children.
- “Now I’ve seen and heard more about how you do it, so now I might come up with doing myself for the children”, where the words from Mary, who is in particular very often reading bedtime stories for her won children. (*)
- “It’s not always that all four children are present when stories are read in the evening. They do have different hours when they go to bed”, told the Crown Princess.
The ReadPlay method reach far beyond the situation of reading aloud in the children’s room. That the Crown Princess put a lot of emphasis on in her speech in the Kindergarten The Swan.
- “ReadPlay is about playing. About diving into the wondrous world of books and about collecting words and a common experience. In ReadPlay the children not have to listen. They become a part of the story. The children are invited into the universe of the books, where they talk and come up with their own version of parts of the story. It makes the children proud and more self confident to take part in the story. And the story doesn’t end on the last page but is the platform for play and for creative activities which brings the children together – also after – that’s all folks….”, said Mary and thanked all municipalities that supported the project.
On the way home The Crown Princess incidentally lifted the veil for what she is reading aloud at home these days.
- “Right now we are reading Jakob Martin Strid’s – The incredible story about the huge pear”, said the Crown Princess before waving goodbye to her little friends in the Kindergarten The Swan.

(*) If she is in doubt about how to dramatize a store that is read out, she needs look no further than her mother-in-law!

- It seems it’s mainly Mary who takes care of the bedtime story and the more pedagogical approach to storytelling. I can well imagine that Frederik more improvise stories, or rather yarns, for his children.
Involving children in story telling and talking about is very sound I think, but not as bedtime stories. You don’t want the children thinking and talking too much at bedtime. It’s certainly my experience that the instead children prefer stories they are familiar with, while basically enjoying snuggling up to mum or dad. – And when I tried to make the stories more “cool” (it is as you all know a well known secret that the wolf in Red Ridinghood was a secret ninja warrior), I got an immediate: “That’s not how the story goes”!
In our home it was also Mrs. Muhler who mainly red bedtime stories, that was a part of her special quality time. Now our youngest read aloud to us, while snuggling up to mum and dad. Her favorite books are about vampires and werewolves – with teenage problems…. We don’t care, as long as she reads. The oldest likes to discuss what he reads.

CP Mary held an event for Mary Foundation partners in Frederik VIII's Palace, October 2, 2012.
Picture

Muhler said:
Translation of article in Billed Bladet #37, 2012.
Jeg inspirerer mine børn – I inspire my children.
Written by Ulrik Ulriksen.

Crown Princess Mary was the profile of the day when the Mary Foundation’s ReadPlay-introduction event was launched at the Kindergarten The Swan in Brøndby Strand. (Part of Copenhagen).
The project is created in order to give kindergarten-children more words (a larger vocabulary) and the courage to use them. By having stories read out aloud and then talk about the children gain more self confidence and (they) become better skilled at maintaining and establishing new relations to other children. That’s what a brand new research shows, explained by among others the Crown Princess in the kindergarten, where she also read to and played with the many children in a way she seemed very secure and confident with. And there is a good reason for that.
That’s the way Mary in private at home in the children’s room at Amalienborg reads to her four children. That she told about to Billed Bladet during a vacant moment at the visit to the kindergarten.
- “I’ve read aloud for my children from they were very young. I haven’t from the start used the method the pedagogues use and have demonstrated today, but I read very interactively and inspire to discussion, when we read aloud”, said Mary.
- “What I do is probably akin to the ReadPlay principle, but it’s first and foremost. I encourage my children to discussion and listen to what they think about the story and what they think a good ending to the story could be”, explained the Crown Princess, who as far as possible also include he two youngest when she reads aloud.
- “The twins are sitting there when I read aloud. And they point and make sounds, but (they) can’t really answer the questions. But they enjoy it and that’s what reading aloud is also about. That is to enjoy the togetherness, you have when you read together”.
The ReadPlay project is very much about making being read to more alive for the little children. The Crown Princess has certainly also been inspired to dramatize her reading to her own children.
- “Now I’ve seen and heard more about how you do it, so now I might come up with doing myself for the children”, where the words from Mary, who is in particular very often reading bedtime stories for her won children. (*)
- “It’s not always that all four children are present when stories are read in the evening. They do have different hours when they go to bed”, told the Crown Princess.
The ReadPlay method reach far beyond the situation of reading aloud in the children’s room. That the Crown Princess put a lot of emphasis on in her speech in the Kindergarten The Swan.
- “ReadPlay is about playing. About diving into the wondrous world of books and about collecting words and a common experience. In ReadPlay the children not have to listen. They become a part of the story. The children are invited into the universe of the books, where they talk and come up with their own version of parts of the story. It makes the children proud and more self confident to take part in the story. And the story doesn’t end on the last page but is the platform for play and for creative activities which brings the children together – also after – that’s all folks….”, said Mary and thanked all municipalities that supported the project.
On the way home The Crown Princess incidentally lifted the veil for what she is reading aloud at home these days.
- “Right now we are reading Jakob Martin Strid’s – The incredible story about the huge pear”, said the Crown Princess before waving goodbye to her little friends in the Kindergarten The Swan.

(*) If she is in doubt about how to dramatize a store that is read out, she needs look no further than her mother-in-law!

- It seems it’s mainly Mary who takes care of the bedtime story and the more pedagogical approach to storytelling. I can well imagine that Frederik more improvise stories, or rather yarns, for his children.
Involving children in story telling and talking about is very sound I think, but not as bedtime stories. You don’t want the children thinking and talking too much at bedtime. It’s certainly my experience that the instead children prefer stories they are familiar with, while basically enjoying snuggling up to mum or dad. – And when I tried to make the stories more “cool” (it is as you all know a well known secret that the wolf in Red Ridinghood was a secret ninja warrior), I got an immediate: “That’s not how the story goes”!
In our home it was also Mrs. Muhler who mainly red bedtime stories, that was a part of her special quality time. Now our youngest read aloud to us, while snuggling up to mum and dad. Her favorite books are about vampires and werewolves – with teenage problems…. We don’t care, as long as she reads. The oldest likes to discuss what he reads.

Very interesting approach. I'm teaching pre-kindergarten kids, and we read a nice number of books a week. They love it. I always try to involve the kids by asking them to point out different things, or to make text-to-self parallels, but we have yet to get into something like this article suggests. I think the method sounds great, and it would definitely encourage interactions, and make reading fun. Mary does strike me as someone who would take a more 'educational' approach when it comes to things like reading, but like you, I agree that bedtime is not always the best time and place for something that involved (it could rile the kids up, and then, good luck getting them to mellow out). However, if it works, then who am I to suggest anything different :D?

MARY FOUNDATION PROJECT "NETWERK"
More on tomorrows event see here

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd wish she had come to my school, but that never happens :p
I'm very happy that Mary and the Mary Foundation is putting focus on all the young people who suffer from loneliness, anxiety and just generally have a bad time in school. I've been one of those for a lot of years, battling with depression and anxiety, and it really warms my heart that she cares.

An interesting article form Jyllands Posten: Færre udsættes for kærestevold

As you know the Mary Foundation has put focus on abuse, especially physical abuse within relationships among young couples.
A new official report has just been published.

According to that the number of people between 16-24 who have suffered physical abuse has dropped markedly since 2007.

In 2007 10.2 % of all young women and girls had been subjected to physical abuse within the past year. For the young men the number was 4.3 %.

Today the numbers have dropped to 6.5 % for young women and 3.7 % for young men, who have experienced physical abuse within the last year.

That is in my opinion still a high number.

The survey (this time read in the paper Politiken) reveals that a considerable number, of especially the very young, accept physical abuse. Often simply due to inexperience. They simply don't know what is normal and acceptable within a relationship and that applies to both those who are abused as well as those who abuse.
And way too often they don't tell anyone, either because they are inexperienced, feel embarrased or simply because they have no one they confide such things to.

The report also mentions that 45 % of the young women and 24 % of the young men sought help from freinds, family or the authorities. - Depending on how you look at it, it's either an alarmingly low number or a positve high number.

- I cannot say whether the campaign by the Mary Foundation has had any effect on this drop in itself. I would like to believe it has, simply bacause a considerable number of those who read the weeklies and read about Mary are young girls. And if they happen to have stumbled across the articles about abuse within young relationships perhaps that had an effect.
That combined with the, albeit inadequate, information some schools provide on the subject.

Last edited:
What is the annual budget of the H.K.H Kronprinsesse Mary Fond (Mary fonden)? I looked at the website but was not able to find any financial information.

I don't know what the annual budget is but you can find this financial information: The Mary Foundation was founded with the people's gift in connection with the wedding in 2004, which was 1,1 mio. kroner . After a group of co-founders was established, the basic capital today is 130 mio. kroner. The Hempel Foundation covers the administration costs.
Historie | MaryFonden.dk
Driftspartner og medstiftere | MaryFonden.dk

I don't know what the annual budget is but you can find this financial information: The Mary Foundation was founded with the people's gift in connection with the wedding in 2004, which was 1,1 mio. kroner . After a group of co-founders was established, the basic capital today is 130 mio. kroner. The Hempel Foundation covers the administration costs.
Historie | MaryFonden.dk
Driftspartner og medstiftere | MaryFonden.dk
Thanks. That was the information I could not find.

Here is some information on Mary's upcoming event on June 15, 2013 - participate at Free of Invincible 2013 Fælledparken and hand out the medals.
Read here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom