Crown Prince Philippe To Marry Mathilde d'Udekem d'Acoz

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The presentation of Mathilde in the park of Laeken.

Attachments

• 20.jpg
    20.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 1,171
  • 21.jpg
    21.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 463
  • 22.jpg
    22.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 423
  • 23.jpg
    23.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 578
  • 24.jpg
    24.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 581
  • 25.jpg
    25.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 356
  • 26.jpg
    26.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 1,545
  • 27.jpg
    27.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 503
1. with their parents: countess Anna Komorowska, king Albert, Mathilde, Philippe, queen Paola and Mr. patrick d'Udekem d'Acoz.

2. with Philippe's nieces and nephews: Joachim, Amedeo, Luisa Maria and Maria Laura.

3. with the entire family

Attachments

• 30.jpg
    30.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 550
  • 31.jpg
    31.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 593
  • 32.jpg
    32.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 651
Engagement ball at the castle of Laeken

Attachments

• 35.jpg
    35.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 465
  • fete2[1].jpeg
    fete2[1].jpeg
    91.1 KB · Views: 826
  • fete1[2].jpeg
    fete1[2].jpeg
    53.9 KB · Views: 477
  • fete0[1].jpeg
    fete0[1].jpeg
    60.5 KB · Views: 7,211
Filip & Mathilde dancing.

Attachments

• dancing.jpg
    dancing.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 515
Laurent and Albert at the presentation of Mathilde.

Attachments

• 52 laurent engagement.jpg
    52 laurent engagement.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 514
  • albert engagement.jpg
    albert engagement.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 365
Hannelore said:
Filip and Mathilde walking amid the press in the park of the castle of Laeken, which is their home now.
I can't believe she wore pants, and ill-fitting ones at that!

Bubbette said:
I can't believe she wore pants, and ill-fitting ones at that!
I agree. The pants don't look that bad from the front, but from the back you can't tell they don't fit right. I am surprised she didn't choose a nicer, more dressy outfit like a suit...she is so well dressed now, I guess she had to learn and have help to become that way.

to tell you the truth, I don't see anything ill fitting about those pants...

I remember that at the time everyone in Belgium was pleased she wore such a casual, relaxed outfit, instead of something 'stiff'.

Mathilde's father and queen Fabiola

Attachments

• engagement mat.jpg
    engagement mat.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 526
More of the engagement

September 1999

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 1,222
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 621
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 1,423
  • 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 1,206
  • 04a.jpg
    04a.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 1,347
when was the annoncment and when was the official meeting with the press

These pants were not Mathilde's best outfit: ill-fitted, too short and frankly did not really enhance her figure. She is much better dressed now. Live and learn!

Josefine said:
when was the annoncment and when was the official meeting with the press

The announcenemt was ion Friday and the Presentation on Monday.

Stefan said:
The announcenemt was ion Friday and the Presentation on Monday.

What did people in Belgium think about the announcement?

Everybody was thrilled with Mathilde. On Friday 10 September 1999 it became known that prince Philippe was getting engaged. Nobody had ever heard of this young aristocrat he was getting married to, and in the weekend the papers could only bring some old, vague pictures, so everybody was very keen to see her.

The overall impression was that of a fresh, young woman, independant, self assured and sweet, with a gorgeous smile (and very long legs :)). She was all people talked about for weeks!

This is an excerpt of "Philippe, Mathilde & Elisabeth" from Anne Quévrin where she describes the engagement.

Monday 13th September 1999, a bit later than 15h30...Mathilde d'Udekem d'Acoz makes her entrance in history. Prince Philippe presents the woman that will soon be his wife to the Belgians. The baptism of fire takes place at the castle of Laeken, in front of 200 journalists and photographers from all over the world.

The young speech therapist easily wins this challenge. Smiling, slim and elegant in her simple white trousers, she radiates at the protecting arm of her prince. She's taller than average (179 cms), has a modern look, clear blue eyes and fair hair, held together in a simple chignon. Her sweetness, her Slavish air and high cheekbones are an heritage of her mother's Polish origins. The verdict of the press and people is unanimous: The one Philippe's chosen one is charming!

The young couple had chosen to make the news public a fortnight later, but certain favorable winds (ie. press leaks) have decided otherwise. In the presence of Philippe and Mathilde's immediate family, the couple poses in front of cameras and photographers. They answer the reporters' s questions. This kind of openness is the first in the history of the Belgian monarchy.The prince talks first:

"Now that you're all here, I would like to make it clear that nobody presented me to Mathilde. Let no-one say "...It's me who presented her to him. It's at my place they met"; I saw Mathilde from afar and went up to talk to her. Nobody presented her to me...
-So it's a marriage of love?
- ... I think that's logic!
-Are we allowed to know how you met each other?
-No, we'd like to keep a few things to ourselves.
-Are you happy Mathilde?
-Oh yes, enormously happy.
-What's the prince's biggest quality?
-His profoundness
-Mathilde how will you prepare yourself for your future role?
-Philippe will help me, I'm sure of that."

The next day prince Philippe had to leave to preside an economic mission in the US. At the end he had a converstaion with Anne Quévrin:

He told her what the country's enthusiasm about Mathilde made him feel:

-"I think "warm at heart" is the best way to describe it...I was terribly touched by the people's reaction. I felt united with the population. I sensed that the country vibrated with me in my joy, in my happiness and in the happiness that Mathilde and me are living now, and that's a very intense one.
-Even after a short 1,5 day trip I imagine you're happy to go back home?
-Very happy to go back to Belgium...And now everybody knows why!"

Catherine, thank you for posting that great interview. It certainly appears that, that was the beginning of a happy, happy relationship. Long may it be so..

Does anyone know who made Mathildes navyblue dress for the party ?

The dress for the engagement party was made by Yves Dooms

-Even after a short 1,5 day trip I imagine you're happy to go back home?
-Very happy to go back to Belgium...And now everybody knows why!"

How sweet! :wub: I believe that after these years, Prince Philippe still feels the same about Mathilde.

I didn't like the white trousers but I loved the navy dress for the party. It is spectacular!

I love that she was a speech therapist before she married. I think it is a noble profession.

These photos seem so "vintage" now. It's hard to believe they were married only nine years ago, and yet so much has happened since.

Thank you for the information about the engagement, was the press nice in their aticles about her or did they try to find any dirt on her?

It's amazing how they kept their relationship a secret for three years.They are a great couple!

Not a fan of Mathilde's engagement outfit or her engagement party dress.Too boring.

Back
Top Bottom