Christening of Princess Isabella: July 1, 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
do you think she is called isabella in honour of the day she was born, which happened to be the same as the day her majesty the queen of england was born?

Mary said afterwards that they were looking at a list of names of former Danish Royals and came up with queen Isabella of Austria and Spain, grand-daughter of queen Isabella of Castile and daughter of the crazy queen Juana of Spain and her husband Philip of Austria.

Isabella was the sister of emperor Charles V., niece of princess Catherine of Aragon, queen of England, cousin of queen Mary Tudor of England and aunt of king Philip II. of Spain.

If that is not a right Royal background, I don't know what one is!

Isabella of Denmark...
Bella of Denmark...

Isabella

Usage: English, Italian, Spanish, Dutch Pronounced: iz-a-BEL-a (English)

Latinate form of Isabel - Most likely a medieval Spanish form of Elizabeth, although some theories state that Isabel actually derives from an old Semitic name meaning "daughter of BA'AL". Queens of Castile and Portugal and a queen of England have borne this name.

:flowers:

- Henrietta Feminine pet form of Hnery (After Mary's granmother and maybe after Prince Henrik - Henry.)

- Ingrid From the Old Norse name Ingríðr meaning "Ing is beautiful", derived from the name of the Norse god ING combined with fríðr "beautiful". A famous bearer was Ingrid Bergman, a Swedish actress. (After royal great grandmother.)

- Margrethe Danish and Norwegian form of Margaret. (After royal grandmother.)

Btw. Isabella doesn't have any middle name after her godparents.

Last edited:
can someone tell us who the other godparents were and how they are related to frederik and mary? i know peter heering is caroline's husband but who are louise skeel, christian buchwald and nadine johnston?

Louise Skeel is responisble for the Royal Hunt of Denmark, Dr. Buchwald is a medical doctor and tennis partner of prince Frederik.

I saw on the guest list that Mrs. Charlotte Murray was invited. Isn't she the sister of Mary's late mother? Some others here have already pointed out that Isabella used to be fashionable in Scotland for centuries - just think of Robert the Bruce's wife Isabella of Mar - maybe Isabella was the name of Mary's Scottish grandmother, mother to Henrietta Donaldson and Charlotte Murray?

Then we'd have: great-grandmother's name mother's side, grandmother's name mother's side, great-grandmother's name father's side, grandmother's name father's side.

Just a thought. Don't know where to check for the information about Henrietta Donaldson's mother's name. I found it: Elizabeth Gibson Horne, nee Melrose.
Elizabeth = Isabella.... Hm...

that's indeed a very good guess. i heard mary was quite close to her grandmother, and it may well be her grannie's name. however, according to other poster mary said they looked for the name while searching for royals of the past names. there were a couple of isabella's in spanish royalty, as i said.

thanks for the information on the godparents!

just wondering... when were the official photos of christian's christening posted on the website? are we right to expect official photos this time?

I appreciate that Henrietta was the name of Mary's mother, but I think it also rather neatly compliments Prince Henrik, who has always said he was looking forward to having a granddaughter!

I like the name isabella, is so pretty:flowers:.. I like the color of mary's dress too... and Christian was cute..SO CUTE!.. but i don't like his shoes... not for the occasion...

Last edited:
Why, oh why is Alexia of Greece wearing the same dress that Infanta Cristina took to her own wedding?... Please, tell me she and Carlos are not bankrupt... cause I can't see any other explanation for this...
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=114233&d=1111553181
ANP Beeldbank

Why borrowing a dress from your cousin? And why the exact same dress your cousin wore at another royal gathering?

I had the same thought, that it's too coincidental and too far apart in time as far as the last and most current wearings for that dress to not have been borrowed.

Maybe she didn't want to shell out for a dress she'll never wear again? I know her kids are outfitted through Marie Chantal's line, for the most part, but who knows. It didn't suit her and considering how few appearances she makes as a royal, this would have been her time to really make a statement.

Mary and Frederik look to be best friends! I was so moved by the way they smiled at each other.

What a beautiful christening.

I love what Mary wore. In the beginning I was disappointed, but the more and more I see it, I love it. Perfect cut, perfect color, and it's nice enough that she recycled the headpiece :flowers:

Soo, the name was Isabella. Beautiful name, I'm glad the family chose their own name, that they liked, and didn't go too much with tradition. Very feminin.

They're a beautiful family, and I love ALL the pics (especially polfoto and ANP's):wub: Christian seems so flexible, he's just so adorable, and when he smiles (unfortunately, not too often) it's melts your heart.

My fave pics from the day:
http://i9.tinypic.com/4r2a5bl.jpg

Supload.com // Free Image Hosting

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s152/dazzling12/6589989_POLFOTO.jpg
Credit: Dazzling

http://i15.tinypic.com/4yq5d2q.jpg

http://i9.tinypic.com/4pn3kn6.jpg

http://i12.tinypic.com/4yhvko9.jpg

http://i10.tinypic.com/4kdwpcx.jpg

http://i7.tinypic.com/4kun4og.jpg

http://i13.tinypic.com/4u2puyq.jpg

http://i16.tinypic.com/5x4ac6c.jpg

http://i12.tinypic.com/4qpkznm.jpg

http://i15.tinypic.com/4qpkznm.jpg

Wow ! Great Name ! :D

When Mary was pregnant with Christian I predicted she would have a girl and her name would be Isabella Ingrid Margrethe Henrietta Marie ! :wub:

I can't believe how close I came to guessing the names of Frederik and Mary's eventual daughter !

I thought Isabella would be chosen because it is such a classic name and is a variant of Elizabeth which is Mary's middle name and the name of her grandmother. I also thought it would be cool to have another "I" name in honor of Queen Ingrid. :flowers::flowers::flowers:

I had the same thought, that it's too coincidental and too far apart in time as far as the last and most current wearings for that dress to not have been borrowed.

Maybe she didn't want to shell out for a dress she'll never wear again? I know her kids are outfitted through Marie Chantal's line, for the most part, but who knows. It didn't suit her and considering how few appearances she makes as a royal, this would have been her time to really make a statement.

Mary and Frederik look to be best friends! I was so moved by the way they smiled at each other.

Maybe Alexia fell in love with the dress when she saw Cristina wear it on her wedding and asked her for it? Or for the name of the designer and bought the same afterwards for herself? We don't know how many low-key events this dress (if it is the same at all!) may have seen since Alexia first saw it. Maybe it's something she loves and forget where she got the infor about it from? Or she didn't relaise people would remember a dress like this - I am still fascinated by the memory of some fashionistas! :flowers:

Wow ! Great Name ! :D

When Mary was pregnant with Christian I predicted she would have a girl and her name would be Isabella Ingrid Margrethe Henrietta Marie ! :wub:

I can't believe how close I came to guessing the names of Frederik and Mary's eventual daughter !

I thought Isabella would be chosen because it is such a classic name and is a variant of Elizabeth which is Mary's middle name and the name of her grandmother. I also thought it would be cool to have another "I" name in honor of Queen Ingrid. :flowers::flowers::flowers:

What a good guess... Maybe they even thought about "Marie" but left it out in order not to fuel the rumours about Joachim and his Marie...

Even though most royals have more money at their disposal than most of us, I am sure that there are some for whom these events must be somewhat straining financially. I don't know Alexia's private financial situation, but considering that she is in a fairly advanced state of her pregnancy, I can sympathise with her when she decided to borrow her cousin's dress:)

What a good guess... Maybe they even thought about "Marie" but left it out in order not to fuel the rumours about Joachim and his Marie...

Yes, perhaps so ! ;)

I always thought Frederik and Mary's daughter would have some variant of Mary as the last of her names because Queen Ingrid did this with all three of her daughters.

When do they normally add her to the Royal website? Will it be today, or later in the future?

It's strange but I like Isabel and Isabelle but I'm not too fond of Isabella. Anyway, it's a good name for a princess. I liked Mary's outfit, very appropriate for this occasion. And Christian is such a cute.

It appears that in some non Spanish speaking countries, Isabella and its variants were first more common than the current form Elizabeth. A variant of Isabella, Isabeau, was the common form of the name Elizabeth in France during the 1300s and Elizabeth of Bavaria was re-christened Isabeau upon her marriage to the King of France. (source: A Distant Mirror) I would have thought that Austria would have had a smiliar history of the name as Bavaria so its interesting that an Austrian archduchess was named Isabel. Perhaps Isabel, consort of Christian II took the form from her mother's country, Spain, rather than her father's country, Austria.

Being the common form in France would explain the name Ysabel de France, queen consort of Edward II.

It appears that in Denmark of the 1500s, Isabella was not a common name in Denmark for this same Queen Isabella, consort of Christian II was rechristened Elizabeth upon her arrival in Denmark. (source: Wikipedia)

Isabella's daughter was the famed beauty, Christina of Denmark, whose hand Henry VIII of England sought to take.

From a historical point of view, I was surprised at the choice of Isabella for the new princess' name. Isabella of Habsburg was the consort of perhaps one of the most unsuccessful kings in Danish history. Christian II inherited the thrones of Denmark, Norway and Sweden and he gradually lost control of all of them. He was behind the infamous bloodbath in Sweden where the members of the nobility were lured to an event as guests of the king and they were murdered there.

Last edited:
Isabella a very sweet name, beautiful, great choice.
The children of the Crown princes of Denmark don't like the christiening, it seems to remember to me that the little Christian was crying to. I find that, even after two babies, Mary don't have find the kick to wear confortably a baby - may it's for that the baby is crying!....-
The little Christian is a very handsome little boy with so sweet eyes, but so bad dressed even for this day he is wearing a strange outfit, with shoes to go to the park not for a ceremony. I don't want to make publicity for the trademark shoes "Starterite" but everybody knows the blue or brown shoes so elegant for the little boys, totaly in accordance with an event like this one. I agree it's not good to play soocker but for an official act is more suitable and refined.

The outfit of Mary, no idea, neither for the colour nor for the sahpe. Obviously it's not her best one!

I find it unjust that the crownprincely couple of Belgium as far as I can remember kept all of their children´s baptism low key without inviting royals from other countries but in contrary Mathilde f.i. is now invited to the Danish baptism. It´s the same with Albert of Monaco: He´s always invited to various royal festivities but you never see royals attending Monaco´s f.i. Balle de rose or Red-Cross-Ball. I´m quite sure in case he marries C.W. the wedding will also kept low key....

The baptisms of the Belgium Royal Family are always low key and they only invite the close family and the godparents, if I'm not wrong. It's the same with the Spanish baptisms. It's their tradition.
But I don't know the reason why other royals don't attend Monaco's parties. Maybe they're not invited... :ermm:

I love the name Isabella. It's a great name. However, wrong royal family! I thought the name Isabella would be a great contender for the new spanish infanta instead she was named Sophia, which I also love. This is just weird though the name Isabella doesn't seem to fit well with a Danish princess. I don't think Danish when I hear that name. Fred, Mary, Christian, and Isabella, I would have hoped for a name that complimented the other family names better. But oh well that is their own preference!!! I will be interested to know over the next few days what the thoughts are of others in Denmark. However, no surprise on the middle names, those are all perfectly understood. Just a little surprised on the first name.

Crown Princesses Mathilde and Victoria looked both very lovely. I hoped Mary had chosen a hat or another headpiece, this makes her look old.

I find it unjust that the crownprincely couple of Belgium as far as I can remember kept all of their children´s baptism low key without inviting royals from other countries but in contrary Mathilde f.i. is now invited to the Danish baptism. It´s the same with Albert of Monaco: He´s always invited to various royal festivities but you never see royals attending Monaco´s f.i. Balle de rose or Red-Cross-Ball. I´m quite sure in case he marries C.W. the wedding will also kept low key....

The baptism of the childern of Filip and Mathilde are very private. They only invate family and close friends. It is not a public event, they only allow 1 camera and 1 photographer. The childern only have two godparents and that is family.

I don't think you can compare the 2 events with each other. And they choose Mathilde because she is a friend not because of a favour in return.

IMO mary and fred looked tired. I don't think they had enough rest the night previous to the christening. But they all looked very happy and moved by the occation.

Well, I guessed the other three names right (not that it was that difficult), but not in the correct order.

Princess Isabelle looks more like her father now, I think.

If you want to watch the whole christening again or you were unable to watch it live, click here to watch the entire christening of Princess Isabella.

More lovely photos (and here from one of my favorite blogs.

Finally, a small re-cap from Das Erste

Enjoy:flowers:

GT:flowers:
Danish Mod.

Even though most royals have more money at their disposal than most of us, I am sure that there are some for whom these events must be somewhat straining financially. I don't know Alexia's private financial situation, but considering that she is in a fairly advanced state of her pregnancy, I can sympathise with her when she decided to borrow her cousin's dress:)
I agree with you. It is very expensive to dress appropriately for these kinds of events. I think Alexia and her family do very well but still, maybe she had to put something together very quickly and liked this dress, so she borrowed it. Nothing wrong with recycling. Royals do it. It just makes good sense. She seems involved with many things on top of being wife, mother of three already, and having a job, as a teacher in Spain (?).
Lillepigen has very diverse range for godparents. Although her name is now known, I still like to call her Lillepigen. It's too cute.

Waw!!!! For once, I like something from Mary : I love the name Isabella : regal, feminine, refering to beauty and grace . A very good choice to me . I also like Mary's dress and hair-do .

Back
Top Bottom