Catherine Middleton's Fashion and Style Part 3: January 2011 - March 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
(...)

I didn't like this outfit because I thought the colour washed her out and was a little boring. I am also getting tired of the graphic black print dresses that, in my opinion, sometimes overpower Kate's very thin frame. The black suede boots are a favourite of Kate's but I think the heaviness of the boots did not go well with this particular dress.

If you look closely at the photos, you will also notice that the face of the other women also looks grainy and haggard. I think take the quality of the photos is not helping, although I agree with those who think Kate's eyeliner needs to be softer!

Last edited by a moderator:
It would be nice to see Kate do something different with her hair. Kind of boring to always see it
down.

I can imagine her with a big, thick french braid. She has enough hair to do that and it would really show it off.

The jacket seems to have the main purpose of showing her apparently enhanced chest. One of the pictures on this link offers a comparison:

The princess and the plastic: Kate Middleton? - In Your Face - The Orange County Register

Same site also shows she does her eyeliner different - in one photo, where it's applied above the lash, it looks much better. But she needs to get a push brush and a good powder liner and learn to make that eyeliner more subtle, it's really unbecoming. Her weight and skin issues may be related.

More than anything, I hope she takes care of her health. She's had quite a bit of time to get used to the stress of a public position, although the next few months are going to take their toll. I was surprised to read how adamant so many people are (on the duties thread) that she should have "duties." I think perhaps she should take care of herself and her new husband, as her first priority.

The jacket seems to have the main purpose of showing her apparently enhanced chest. One of the pictures on this link offers a comparison:

The princess and the plastic: Kate Middleton? - In Your Face - The Orange County Register

Same site also shows she does her eyeliner different - in one photo, where it's applied above the lash, it looks much better. But she needs to get a push brush and a good powder liner and learn to make that eyeliner more subtle, it's really unbecoming. Her weight and skin issues may be related.

More than anything, I hope she takes care of her health. She's had quite a bit of time to get used to the stress of a public position, although the next few months are going to take their toll. I was surprised to read how adamant so many people are (on the duties thread) that she should have "duties." I think perhaps she should take care of herself and her new husband, as her first priority.

Chest? Where do they show her chest being enhanced?

Last edited:
Plastic Surgery????

Examining the set of 35 photos, I think it would be difficult to say equivocally that Catherine has had plastic surgery. The lighting conditions make a big difference. In some, she appears to have a pronounced "groove" under the eyes, in others not. (And date order does not prove the point...)

I agree that she did not look her very best at Berkeley House this week, but her second best is still better than the largest proportion of young British women dotting the shops and restaurants these days. We are using her highest and best as our baseline, and reasonably, the poor girl cannot ALWAYS meet that standard.

In fact, she has set such a high expectation that it will be a burden to her in the coming years to live up to. Let us be thankful that, even if none of us are overly taken with the beige/black/white ensemble, one would have to admit that it looks pretty good compared to what most other reasonably well dressed young London women wear these days. And because she is statuesque, Catherine moves beautifully, quite gracefully, and so is rarely photographed in awkward positions. Catherinewears her clothes rather well and is always SO "put together."

Also, the harsh outdoor light (it looked very flat) of the luncheon photos made the images less than flattering. I do agree that she would be well advised to soften (smudge?) her eyeliner, especially the lower lash line, although her makeup looked pretty flattering in the press conference photos.

One final thought: there was a remarkable set of photos of a number of William's former girlfriends who attended the early November wedding at which Catherine wore the royal blue Issa dress and fitted black jacket and large black hat. I thought that none of them could compare with Catherine in terms of the way they were dressed and accessorized. She simply outclassed them all. Did anyone else notice? I think the photos were in Hello.

Oh my, that's the occasion where I thought her dress looked home made (the hem was not good). However, it was a tasteful combination of items.

Susanna Wynne, I saw those pictures, and I agree with you. In fact, I seem to recall commenting on another site that Jessica Craig looked as though she'd mistaken a wedding for a costume party. She was wearing the most godawful outfit.

I very much like the way Middleton dresses, again because it reflects my own taste. I think she manages to strike a balance between classic style and some youthful experimentation. I know some people dislike her clothes or find them boring, but I'm not quite sure what, exactly, they want her to wear instead. In the case of this outfit, I think it was perfectly appropriate for a casual lunch; this wasn't an official appearance, after all.

Various fashion magazines have placed her on best-dressed lists. I'm not a fashion professional, but if people in that industry think highly of Middleton's clothes, then perhaps the differences of opinion can be placed at the door not so much of "mistakes" made by Middleton but rather merely differing tastes. I'm an art professional, so I'll offer an analogy to taste in art: there are many great painters whose skills and talents I very much recognize, but I wouldn't hang them on my walls, because their styles and subjects just don't address my tastes. By the same token, I've seen some public figures in clothes I wouldn't wear if someone paid me, but I've recognized that the clothes were interesting and involved a great deal of thought, skill, and creativity on the part of the designers.

I don't want to start a huge weight discussion for Catherine but as people lose weight they can appear older/guant in face (Madonna is a good example) and Catherine does seem to have lost some weight so maybe that's why she looks older-? And maybe stress..... Just a thougt

Do let's try to stay away from weight issues. They tend to devolve into unfortunate discussions and debates. On this thread, I hope, we can stick to conversations about fashion only.

Vittoria, I couldn't agree with you more!

I am an interior designer, and I also find myself unable to NOT notice patterns, combinations, styles, etc., whether it is fashion or art or interiors. And, yes, while it might not be what I would be comfortable wearing or having in my own environment, I can find things outside of my own comfort zone that I find attractive. And like you, Vittoria, I admit that in general, I find her fashion sense close to my own.

My main point about Catherine is that she has a lot of people to please and has set a fairly high standard throughout all the years we have been watching her. And then there are $$$ issues which, so far, she seems quite sensitive to. Mary of Denmark, another princess whose fashion sense I admire, seems to buy and wear couture without bringing criticism down on herself, and perhaps Catherine will get to that point after a time. For now, I think she does a good job of appearing well- turned out with few real mistakes on a reasonable budget.

No weight discussions or those about possible surgeries please!
This is a fashion thread! Thanks for your understanding!

(...)

The latest pictures made me laugh, because the Furstenberg dress is one of the most outdated rags I have seen in a while, and she combines it with such an unalluring jacket. Whew! Last but not least the boots of course. I do not know much about her, but I know she is keen on black boots for whatever reason. It is a bland style for a lovely young woman in her position.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kate needs Victoria Beckham. I hope she helps her style. It's nice to know they've been invited to the wedding:)

IMO, i think the dress is awful....even as a skirt it would have been awful.

Posts discussing Liz Jones comments & Kate in Victoria Beckham's outfits have been moved to the
Fashion Suggestions for Catherine Middleton, fiancee of Prince William
thread

That was a Grade A faux-pas, my darling Catherine..no no..:sad:..no, u just can't look like that next to Kim who looked fabulous..Kim is 30 years older than u, sweetheart..:sad:..Come on, put urself together, pe'leez..:bang: Tho the dress wasn't too bad..anyway, no excuses..Mon dieu,i think she needs an extreme makeover, just like the one Mary of Denmark has had.:idea:..yeah,that's it, darlings..Does anyone have the Starmakers' phone number, it's urgent! :shock: :greatidea:

Anyone here bought Kate's dress?

Anyone here bought the blue Issa dress Kate Middleton wore?
I really want it but its sold out everywhere:bang:

I bought a Reiss dress from a store:flowers:

I don't think Kate is a bad dresser, but she does need a stylist to show her how to mix and match her clothes. To further elaborate: indvidually, all the pieces that she wears look good, but combined together look frumpy. Someone else pinged it earlier: it's like she has no understanding of colour.

I think she would vastly help herself if she gave those boots a rest! It seems like she wears boots with everything. Even if she's not into heels, there are tons of shoes out there that she could wear instead.

I bought it! :) I loved the cut and colour of the dress and jumped on the chance.

Can someone provide a link to the online shop which has it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom