2012 Olympic Games in London

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Danielle

Heir Presumptive
City
Sydney
Country
Australia
Did anyone just watch the live announcement? London will host the 2012 Olympic Games. It was between Paris and London after all the other rounds of voting had taken place. I really wanted Paris to host it, but I'm sure London will do a good job.

An article:
SINGAPORE (Reuters) - London was awarded the 2012 Olympic Games on Wednesday after the most bitterly fought bid battle in Olympic history.

The London team overhauled long-time favourites Paris as well as Madrid, Moscow and New York to win the race to stage the lucrative sports extravaganza.

International Olympic Committee President Jacques Rogge announced the winner at a globally televised ceremony after a day of presentations and deliberations at the IOC session in Singapore's Raffles City complex.

The news was greeted by screams of joy from the London team.

The 2008 Olympics will be held in Beijing.

paris lost the olympics games

i think comity olympics members were buyed by importants personality of england, they prefered Paris and suddenly they change their opinion at the last time it is odd i do not find you?

Although it wasn't my first choice I'm still very happy for London. Congrats!

As a French, I am a bit disappointed, but congratulations to London!:)

i love the hype that leads up to the Olympic games, When Sydney won the bid, my brother became a volunteer and he thought it was excellent experience. I love the olympics:)

I watched the Live Announcement from CNN and i was really happy when hearing the Olympic President said "the City of London".That even made me jumped up a lot.I was very very happy.
I wish the more years and health come for the Queen for her to attend this fanstastic event.And it's much more great that 2012 is also the Queen's Diamond Jubilee year.What's such a fanstastic!
Congrats London!

THE QUEEN'S MESSAGE TO THE SUCCESSFUL LONDON 2012 OLYMPIC BID TEAM

6 July 2005

I send you my warmest congratulations to you and every member of the London 2012 team for winning the bid for the UK. It is a really outstanding achievement to beat such a highly competitive field. My very best wishes go to you all as you celebrate this remarkable success.

ELIZABETH R

I am very happy because I very much wanted these Olympics in London. Congratulations! :)

I also wanted Paris to win, but you know I'm also happy for London, I'm sure the Olympics will be great and we'll see like always many royals :)

Congratulations to London!

I watched the end of the live announcement and my choice was also Paris but sure Londin will give the best as well.
I always love the Games, so let's look forward to the Olympics 2012 in London :D

I'm disappointed , i wanted Paris to win the Olympics ...anyway congratulation to London :)

I didn't get to watch the live announcement, but I think it's awesome London got it. Congrats to London!

princesse sarah said:
i think comity olympics members were buyed by importants personality of england, they prefered Paris and suddenly they change their opinion at the last time it is odd i do not find you?

It could have feen Chirac's comments about British cuisine.

Even though I'm a New Yorker I'm glad that NYC did not get to host the games.

I´m happy it´s London. I could imagine, that prince William (or his brother) will get involved. Of course the Royals would have travelled also to Paris, but IMO things are different, when a Monarchy self is the arranging country...

Whenever a country is announced as the next host-city for the Olympics, I always think about what the Opening Ceremony will be like, what the medals look like and what will the uniforms look like (the Australians have had some disgusting ones, like last years). I'm sure you're right about a Monarchy hosting the Games, Lena. I think there will be far more events taking place for the Royals than had it been in Paris. That's good news for us at TRF. :)

I love looking at the uniforms too Danielle.
Maybe the Australians should have Roots make their uniforms;) The company has made Canada's uniforms for years and made sure that our team looked the hippest and best, so much so that the US had their uniforms designed by Roots.

Congratulations to London. I admit I was kind of hoping they'd get the olympics. The Parisians had a bit of an attitude didnt they? with Chirac making fun of British food.
I heard about that yesterday and one of the commentators mentioned that such a statement would not go down well with the committee because rival cities aren't allowed to comment on each other's bids.

Gongratulations to London!! My personal favorite was Madrid but oh well...:)
This whole election got me thinking who's hosting the games in 2008?:confused:
Does anybody know? I thought it was Germany but I'm not sure..

Mascha said:
Gongratulations to London!! My personal favorite was Madrid but oh well...:)
This whole election got me thinking who's hosting the games in 2008?:confused:
Does anybody know? I thought it was Germany but I'm not sure..

The games in 2008 are hosted of Beijing.
http://en.beijing-2008.org/

Congrats to London! It was a toughy for me cause I love visiting London and Paris. I wasn't too surprised that New York lost because I had always been ticked that San Francisco was passed over as the American candidate.

Doña Metizia said:

It could have feen Chirac's comments about British cuisine.
:D I don't think so because the British cuisine is internationally renowned to be horrible, so that did not exactly came as an insult, rather an objective observation...
OK, I'm french but I really think Paris was the best city: it has all the infrastructures and has an experience of that kind of events (remember the world cup?). BUT I'm happy we did not win because the Olympics are a lost of money (Greece is nearly on bankruptcy because of them) and Paris do not need that to attract tourists.
So GOOOD LUCK LONDON. Sans rancune! :)

I'm actually suprised that London won the bid. I was watching tv this morning as I was getting ready for work, and just minutes before the winner was selected, they had someone on analyzing the odds of Paris vs. London winning the bid. Apparently, Paris was considered the contender for many different reasons.

I has to agree with whoever said that they are glad New York didn't win. I personally didn't think it was all that realistic considering that the 1996 games were hosted in Atlanta and they 2002 Winter Games were in Salt Lake City. Not only that, but Vancouver, Canada is the host of the 2010 games, so it just doesn't seem fair to have two games back to back (Winter then Summer games) in North America.

Also, I know I personally wouldn't ever attend the games in New York City for one reason and one reason only. TRAFFIC!!!!!!! To me, that's just a disaster waiting to happen.

I wish they would bring the Olympics here. There was talk a few years ago about having Orlando/Tampa jointly host the games. I think that would be really cool! :D

I had really hoped Paris would win but if not Paris, London - so congratulations to London ^____^

~*~Humera~*~ said:
I love looking at the uniforms too Danielle.
Maybe the Australians should have Roots make their uniforms;) The company has made Canada's uniforms for years and made sure that our team looked the hippest and best, so much so that the US had their uniforms designed by Roots.
Yes, uniforms are great. I must say, I've always thought that the Canadian team (for any Olympic Games) was always one of the best-dressed teams around. Probably because you don't attempt to incorporate a myriad different unnatural (ugly) looking colours together while using natural fibres. :rolleyes: Yes, maybe Roots should design ours too.

I honestly thought Paris was going to win, they had most of the buzz. And even though I would have liked for NYC to be the host, I just couldn't see how they were going to get it. Bases on what I'd read they didn't seem too prepared as far as plans for venues and such, and where were they going to build in a city that big? Plus, we've had 2 games here since 1996, as well as the 2010 winter games in Canada. Congrats to London, though, I'm sure they'll do a great job!

I am glad London won the bid. The royal family put alot of work into it. Congrats!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom