Worst Royal Haircuts & Hairdos

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Queen Beatrix has awful hair. What I wouldn't give to see her with hair that is flat and not teased/sprayed to within an inch of its life.

I'd also like to see Princess Madeleine with darker hair. She's so tan anyway, that when she goes uber-blonde, I don't like it. I'm not saying dye her hair black, but maybe a light to medium brown. Something a shade or two lighter than her sister's hair.

that photo of her is immaculate! she looks very pretty there!

Well, I don't think that Queen Beatrix hair is awful.
The helmet is indeed not a hairstyle I would ever chose in my life, but it became a kind of "trademark" for her. You realize directly that it's her, when you just see her hair :lol: .
The same goes for Queen Margrethe II and Queen Sofia. They also have this never-changing hairstyles.

Her_Majesty said:
The helmet is indeed not a hairstyle I would ever chose in my life, but it became a kind of "trademark" for her. You realize directly that it's her, when you just see her hair :lol: .
The same goes for Queen Margrethe II and Queen Sofia. They also have this never-changing hairstyles.

O, that is very true. It's very distinctive. They all have distinctive hairstyles. It's their trademark as you say.

"that photo of her is immaculate! she looks very pretty there!"

Spot on, nutmegger! :flowers:

Has there been any more recent cases of "Hairdos from Hell"? Please tread softly. No doubt some photos could give people heart attacks!:lol:

slight changes in Queen Elizabeth's hair until mid-60s

Looking at Queen Elizabeth's hair in old photos it has been shorter at times, longer at times and with a side part or sweep at times.
picmajik/forums - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Compare her 40s photos, wedding photo, coronation photo/first opening of Parliament and photo with infant Prince Andrew. Early 60's has a short bouffant style instead of the pincurled style but by the mid-60's and 1970 she'd settled into the style she still uses today.
I just marvel that she does her own hair most of the time but she would know best how to handle the curls. It does appear to be naturally curly/wavy based on childhood and young adult photos.
I do love the brilliant white it has become, not yellowed. I wish mine would turn white instead of the grey it's threatening. Of course that's natural blonde (NOT!):D

I have also seen beautiful early 70s photos of Anne's hair. If she wore it long and pulled back slightly on the sides as she did then without the teasing/backcombing/bun it would be flattering. I would love to see her in a layered cut for a change, the layers left long enough to pull back for riding if needed but easy to style otherwise.

"Helmet hair" is not unique to royals--plenty of folks still do that here. Usually it means hair that is teased or backcombed to within an inch of its life and arranged to resemble a football helmet protecting the head, similar to "Big Hair" that Southerners are usually accused of (but not as common as it used to be). Viva Aqua Net!

Last edited:
I don't have any pictures to post but I don't anyone has a worse hair style then Princess Anne. I wish she would update her style.

It has to be Queen Beatrix. And her awful blue eyeshadow. She really needs an update.

About Queen Elizabeth II. I thought she turned very dowdy after the Investiture, despite the fact that she was still a lovely lady. It turns out that her hair was done in almost the exact style favored by her long-time dresser, Bobo McDonald (who also picked out her clothes). And the Queen and Bobo used the same hairdresser.

The Queen's style is so much more elegant and expressive these days. I think she was rather liberated by the loss of Bobo and the Queen Mother in that I think she dressed to please them (rather than picking out the styles that were most becoming to her).

I agree that the hair of Queen Beatrix is a trademark. ;) But I always wished Queen Sofia would change her hair a bit, I think she could look better...

It's the same old - same old that I find boring. I don't think any royals have bad hair cuts or hair dos but they do tend to become boring. Here's my humble opinion, not that anyone's interested.

Crown Princess Mary's hair seems to have been the same dark brown since she married. She could use a few foils or streaks to break it up once in a while.:flowers:

Princess Diana had the same basic look for many years but when Harry was young she grew it a little longer and it was very nice..but then she cut it the same basic way again.:bang:

QEII is extremely overdue for a make over - with her money I can't believe she hasn't had one! I don't remember her ever experimenting with blonde in her life.

Now I come to think of it, I'm hard pressed to think of a princess who changes her hair much at all.

I wouldn't want Beatrice changing her hair at all. I think it's beautiful on it's own.

I believe Camilla, the DoC, has one of the ugliest haircuts. And she keeps her hair like this for years...Queen Beatrix's hair looks awful as well, but at least, funny. he he

I guess I've just gotten used to Queen Bea, her hair, her clothes, her hats, etc. They seem part of her royal identity, and I am accepting of that. Maxima's hair just seems undernourished, I say that because she had the BEST hair during her pregnancies.

I'd love to see what Camilla would look like with different hair----how about you photo shop guru's giving her a bun hairstyle for us to look at?!!

No way, Patra! I can only imagine Camilla with long straight hair, just like Rania's or Letizia's :lol: :p

It's the same old - same old that I find boring. I don't think any royals have bad hair cuts or hair dos but they do tend to become boring. Here's my humble opinion, not that anyone's interested.

Crown Princess Mary's hair seems to have been the same dark brown since she married. She could use a few foils or streaks to break it up once in a while.:flowers:
Snipped

Mary has a different hair color almost every time you see her. She has gone from almost black to an almost redhead just since I have been reading the forum. She has also had many different style from chin length, to longer layers, to one length. She has even had highlights.

I used to feel that Katherine Kent's hairstyle was really rather boring and uninspired during the 80s when she seemed to wear it up all the time and then suddenly in the early nineties she had that dramatic makeover and went all 'glamorous-granny' - a la Honor Blackman. The change was very dramatic. The hair style change may have occurred around the time the Duchess began teaching music to children and may have been a subconscious or deliberate manifestation of the Duchess' move to claim a slice of independence beyond the 'Firm.'

The Princess Royal's hair style drives me mad! Her hair does look a bit on the wild and tempestuous side but 'that' bun Anne wears is Boring with a HUGE B!!!! I guess Princess Anne being horsey and outdoorsy and rather down to earth may not feel inclined to make any more than the basic effort with her hair than absolutely necessary...hence the same old for so long!!! Going by her wardrobe choices I hardly think the Princess Royal has that much interest in clothes, hair and nails passe!!! She would probably spend more time brushing the manes and tails and in the general grooming of her beloved horses then she would ever contemplate spending on her own hair and appearance!!! What Anne needs is a very brave hairdresser to coax her into making a change...

It would be amazing to see Queen Beatrix take the plunge too and do something with her hair. QEII likewise.....boring same old for an absolute age.......in QEII's case I think the way Balmoral is literally cast in aspic and remains almost unchanged down to the placement of settees and tables since EVII's time, goes some way to demonstrate just how set in her ways and attached to traditions and 'same old' QEII is! Can't say I know if Queen Beatrix is the same....but going by her lavish and consistent use of setting lotion and hair spray over the past four decades I would hazard that HM of the Netherlands will probably not be contemplating taking the plunge and making 'that' change any time soon!

Going back to QEII I have been wondering....did Cookie ever change her 1920s hairstyle? I always thought even into the 21st century she still had that same style! Imagine eighty odd years of doing the same hair-do every morning! Talk about die hard traditionalist!!!! If so, I see little hope of ever seeing any dramatic alterations in the coiffure preferred by her surviving daughter! It's amazing though when one remembers all those lovely different styles dear old Margo tried before settling into her recognizable signature style in the late seventies!

Last edited:
I dont think any of the royals have bad haircuts per say. I also think, once a woman reaches a certain age, its ok to have a trademark look. I LOVE QBea, QEII, QFabiola, and Camilla's hair. I wish Princess Eugeine would find a nice hairstyle.

The Princess Royal has terribly dry brittle looking hair. My hair dresser referred to it as crispy shredded wheat! And the color is very flat too. She needs a deep conditioning treatment in the worst way followed up by highlighting/lowlighting and a glaze to give it some depth of color! Where is our very own Beatrixfan? Paging Sam...this thread needs your words of wisdom!

Yes Scooter where is Beatrixfan!!!!!????? I am an ardent admirer of our very own Forum Sage's effulgent pearls of wisdom!!!! We want Sam...We want Sam!!!!!!

I love your hair dresser's description of the Princess Royal's hair as being like crispy shredded wheat.....I personally thought it was probably a bit like a brillo pad! Poor Anne, it isn't her fault what her hair is like......I guess thinking about it, it always looked pretty thick and unruly even when she was little, perhaps that is why she never seems to have worn it long as a child!!!! Can you imagine being Nanny Waller and trying to brush out the Princess' tangled crow's nest every morning.afternoon and evening.....Yikes....it does not bear contemplating!

This is an interesting thread! I'm not sure any of the royals have particularly awful hairstyles, but many certainly have memorable styles! The thing is that the older generation of royals have already been through the "experimental" phase of trying different things out before finding a style that is more or less suited to them and that they are comfortable with. Like fashion, hairstyle trends change, but there is nothing worse than looking back over photos throughout the years and seeing the weird styles we have all chosen! As with fashion styles, only one hairstyle really suits a person - how many of the ladies here had big perms in the 1980's/early 1990's and now wear the current fashion of straighter, sleeker hair (possibly with a fringe)? Although the current fashion may look cool and modern, in 10 years time you'll look back and cringe! Whether we like Queen Beatrix's hairstyle or not, it remains unchanging and suits her, so in years to come, there'll be no shock horror of how she looked over the years.
As for the men, I think Prince Charles' hairstyle was always the worst - a very low side parting with the remainder pulled over the rest of the head!
I'm not sure what other style would suit Princess Anne, but I do love it when she has her hair down.

Jack I totally get your point about the more vintage Royals finding a style and sticking (perhaps even clinging) to a prescribed 'comfort zone' of familiarity and tradition....but it doesn't stop one from imagining and daring to hope! With regards to our three Regnant Queens in Europe at the present moment...fair enough, they are all identified with their own distintive styles....QEII and her demi-helmet arrangement with architecturally engineered and crafted curls around the sides and back, Queen Beatrix and her helmet that oddly enough reminds one of those medium long coated breeds of pooches that probably get hair-sprayed to the point of near asphyxiation at Crufts etc and then we have my personal favourite reigning Queen, the wonderful Margrethe II. Ooooh ahhhh (I need a rest from hammering out that very long last sentence....!!!!) that's better, now then where was I?... Ah yes; I still cannot fathom why that scraped back look which Her Majesty of Denmark prefers seems to work, perhaps the severity of that style which can appear villainess-like, stereotypically witchy and frightening on others merely accentuates just how amazingly pretty she remains! Let's face it, QMII is and always was much prettier than either of her fellow Regnal cousins! I can't really see either Beatrix or QEII managing to do the scraped off the face look at the same relative age with quite the same acceptable and pleasing results!!!! Even so, I would love to have seen QMII be a bit more adventurous a la Grace de Monaco, as the former has just the right sort of personality and looks to have been adept at being adventurous!

With regards to the Princess Royal....I must point out as I mentioned earlier, that in the early nineties when she was around sixty Katherine Kent chopped off a great deal of her hair and voila she found a really new and amazingly successful hair style. So there really is no stopping our dear Princess Royal doing likewise as she approaches her own big 60! Hmmmmm...Just another dream I know, as I am sure Princess Anne is quite content with the bouffant demi-beehive quiff a la ( ooops - I meant 'a le because Elivis is a boy.... or maybe it aught to - a l' because it's followed by a vowel - D'oh... bloody French grammar...ooh I don't know!!!!!) Elvis doing a turn as Margaret Hamilton as the Wicked Witch thing, she has made her own! But one may muse and dream!!!!! I do agree that Anne does look lovely and approachable and even concede she can appear gentle with her hair down....but.... longish hair down on a more 'vintage and experienced' woman can be rather tricky to perfect and with her wild shredded wheat textured locks it would be a complete pain to keep tidy during and in between her hectic stream of official engagements too!!!!!! I cannot really visualize the Princess Royal with a bob as an alternative....but there must be other innovative styles out there which she could try!!!!!!

As for Poor Prince Charles and his hair....well what can one can say about such a prolonged recessional matter!!!! Some men don't mind about it whilst others are terribly sensitive! It is a tricky one! Perhaps the POW should adapt his hairstyle to mimic the DOE's at the same stage of recession! I never remember anyone talking about Philip's hair in the old days....but then again he didn't have much hair to notice even then! It's William that I am worried about!!!!! Maybe he should go for a Grade one now!!!!! Terribly butch on some men although it can look a tad thuggish!!!!!!

Perhaps we have decided that a toupe(sorry.,but I can't find the appropriate accent key on my poxy keyboard!) or a wig is preferable these days where the recapturing of youth is a really serious 'cult' akin to statue worshipping of old, along with those increasingly disturbing internet banner things that one gets lambasted with wherever one surfs about getting a flat tummy!!!!!!!!!! Are we all going to turn into tummy worshippers.......I wonder....maybe we, or rather a proportion of our species are already, or soon will be if this zombie-fie-ing rubbish continues to pervade into everything!!!! It's Terrifying!!!!! Sometimes I wonder if I am in the land of Nod or some variation on John Wyndham....a sort of 'Global Village of the Tummy tuckers' instead of the 'Village of the Damned', as I keep seeing these pictures of torsos everywhere.....it is extraordinary! And all those close-up pictures of grimacing Hollywood style teeth too! Gleaming arctic white perfectly straight Gnashers and flat tummies.....am I getting paranoid and suffering from some form of repetitional overload disorder!

Connie, you are quite "wicked" with your humor! I LOVE IT! And quite right on your accounts of the royals mentioned.

worst hair

God love her, but QEII has the worst hair! It's so special--now kind of has a blue rinse to it! I believe the poor old dear wears a wig and imagine, like her Mother and her grandmother Queen Mary, that she has thinning hair. It's just so "her" though! I sometimes wonder if she slips out with a modern old lady short hair cut, jeans, sneakers and a (gasp) shoulder bag and goes shopping without anyone knowing who she is!

On same lines, Beatrix of the Netherlands suffers from "Pamela Harriman helmet hair syndrome," but like Elizabeth--it's just "her".

Fun topic:lol:

Connie, since first "discovering" you on the worst Jewel thread, (I think?) I have followed you and your hysterical writing. Every time I see your name I am assured of a good laugh! (Also, words that I only come across once or twice.) lol
Welcome and keep up with your witty posts.... Please. :)

Udyusa you are a love...thank you!

Hopewell you are naughty.....the scandalous thought that QEII wears a wig.....Ooooh the temerity of it! Personally I don't give a fig if QEII does wear a wig.....all the more reason to get a new and differently styled one if that be the case!!!!! But, I have witnessed some monumental cat fights, handbags at dawn type verbal duels and hissy fits being thrown elsewhere on the internet when just such a suggestion has been mooted by the 'Brave.' It's as though some QEII worshippers have a dose of Wigphobia and just can't accept that there may even be the slightest possibility that QEII might wear a wig! I suppose it is also rather dangerous ground as it is mere speculation and until (God forbid:eek::eek:) the News of the World:voodoo::voodoo: or the ghastly Dail Mail:voodoo::voodoo::voodoo: managed to infiltrate the Palace again with a journalist posing as a maid or dresser armed with a hidden camera who could get evidence of a wig stand on the Queen's dressing table, I side on caution!!!

Princess Gertrude - Bless you it is always nice to know others share ones sentiments!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom