Changes: What should some of the royals do?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Julia

Royal Highness
This may seem like a totally shallow topic but I was wondering what you all think that some of the royal ladies should do to either enhance their appearance or change it for the better?

While I think CP Mathilde is very pretty and exceptionally classy I think that perhaps she could do something different with her hair? Her make-up suits her porcelain beauty very nicely and I think perhaps a change in either the color of her hair or the style would make her even more attractive.

What about Princess Maxima? Would shorter hair suit her? Or would pulling it back be better??

Well since you brought it up...

I have a soft spot for Mathilde. I remeber watching her wedding ceremony and her smile throughout the day just won me over. I do think, however, that her outfits are too matronly and too scool marm-ish. She needs to soften her outfits a little. Perhaps a day out with Princess Alexandra of Denmark will do her a world of good. Actually, I can see her in outfits worn by Princess Alexandra of Kent too, despite the age difference. They have similar skin tones and complextions, etc.

Maxima is sometimes too casual. I personally do not care for the hair down bit with sunglasses etc. Also, IMO, she could drop 5-10 pounds and stop smoking. It's making her look old around the eyes (I was horrified to see a picture of her puffing away while Laurentian was sitting in front of her with her baby!!! ARrrrrgh. Disgusting). Smoking is not cool. I think Queen Silvia would be a good fashion mentor for her.

Mette-Marit also looks way too casual. She needs some more haute coutre. I hate to admit it, but Queen R of Jordon needs to take the girl shopping. Her hair is okay, I like it better when it is tied back in a nice bun or something. She needs to get her teeth bleached and also needs to stop smoking <meow>. Also, I wish she'd stop wearing those boots as they make her look positively cheap.

Queen Rania needs to spend less on clothes (or taking less freebies) and dress less flamoyantly. I think this will, in fact, *help* her image. Inded, in my view, it will do wonders for her. People will also take her more seriously. Most Arabs don't.

Sorry if I sound too catty. But you asked! I may or may not add comments about some of the others. Depends on how well this is received. ~

Originally posted by Sean.~@Jan 4th, 2004 - 2:41 am
Well since you brought it up...

I have a soft spot for Mathilde. I remeber watching her wedding ceremony and her smile throughout the day just won me over. I do think, however, that her outfits are too matronly and too scool marm-ish. She needs to soften her outfits a little. Perhaps a day out with Princess Alexandra of Denmark will do her a world of good. Actually, I can see her in outfits worn by Princess Alexandra of Kent too, despite the age difference. They have similar skin tones and complextions, etc.

Maxima is sometimes too casual. I personally do not care for the hair down bit with sunglasses etc. Also, IMO, she could drop 5-10 pounds and stop smoking. It's making her look old around the eyes (I was horrified to see a picture of her puffing away while Laurentian was sitting in front of her with her baby!!! ARrrrrgh. Disgusting). Smoking is not cool. I think Queen Silvia would be a good fashion mentor for her.

Mette-Marit also looks way too casual. She needs some more haute coutre. I hate to admit it, but Queen R of Jordon needs to take the girl shopping. Her hair is okay, I like it better when it is tied back in a nice bun or something. She needs to get her teeth bleached and also needs to stop smoking <meow>. Also, I wish she'd stop wearing those boots as they make her look positively cheap.

Queen Rania needs to spend less on clothes (or taking less freebies) and dress less flamoyantly. I think this will, in fact, *help* her image. Inded, in my view, it will do wonders for her. People will also take her more seriously. Most Arabs don't.

Sorry if I sound too catty. But you asked! I may or may not add comments about some of the others. Depends on how well this is received. ~
I have a soft spot for Mathilde. I remeber watching her wedding ceremony and her smile throughout the day just won me over. I do think, however, that her outfits are too matronly and too  scool marm-ish. She needs to soften her outfits a little.  Perhaps a day out with Princess Alexandra of Denmark will do her a world of good. Actually, I can see her in outfits worn by Princess Alexandra of Kent too, despite the age difference. They have similar skin tones and complextions, etc.

I think Mathilde is wonderfully cool and very warm looking. In her wedding photos she looks so warm and so very happy. I think that perhaps she could be a little more glam and I agree that she could soften her outfits a bit as well. I could see her wearing some lovely and still very fun Chanel suits and mixing them up with some slightly more fun pieces. One of my favorite outfits that she wore was to Maxima and W-A's pre-wedding ball. I thought that velvet and satin red-burgundy evening gown was spectacular on her.

Maxima is sometimes too casual. I personally do not care for the hair down bit with sunglasses etc. Also, IMO, she could drop 5-10 pounds and stop smoking. It's making her look old around the eyes (I was horrified to see a picture of her puffing away while Laurentian was sitting in front of her with her baby!!! ARrrrrgh. Disgusting).  Smoking is not cool.  I think Queen Silvia would be a good fashion mentor for her.

Maxima seems to have her good fashion moments and her bad. I think she would look very attractive in Armani and that she could take a que from Mathilde by wearing her hair back more, or by cutting it and perhaps adding a few low-lights. I think she will drop a few pounds now that she's had Amalia and hopefully she will quit smoking for Amalia's sake as well! Maxima and Silvia seem to share a passion for color and Silvia would make an excellent mentor.

Mette-Marit also looks way too casual. She needs some more haute coutre. I hate to admit it, but Queen R of Jordon needs to take the girl shopping.  Her hair is okay, I like it better when it is tied back in a nice bun or something. She needs to get her teeth bleached and also needs to stop smoking <meow>.  Also, I wish she'd stop wearing those boots as  they make her look positively cheap.

Mette-Marit is too cas most of the time. She's very sporty. To me one of her best looks was the ice-blue gown she wore to her pre-wedding ball. Her hair was soft and lovely, her make-up was perfect and that gown was just wonderful. I think that more haute couture would be good for her as well. Just a few good pieces would be excellent for her. I think her hair needs low-lights. It's too blonde for my taste. I'd love to see her hair pulled back and in some kind twist or updo and not parted on the side and pulled back. She's a lovely woman and needs to show off her face a bit more!

Queen Rania needs to spend less on clothes (or taking less freebies) and dress less flamoyantly. I think this will, in fact, *help* her image. Inded, in my view, it will do wonders for her. People will also take her more seriously.  Most Arabs don't.

I do think that while Rania is the most glamorous queen around and that most of the above women could take a few tips from her on how to dress and groom themselves that she should take her own style volume down a few notches. She does need to be a little more frugal in her wardrobe selection.

This is a fun topic, so have fun! It's always interesting to hear suggestions!

So, Julia, you and I pretty much agree. You, as usual, are just so much more diplomatic.

Alas, not the heated debate I was hoping for! I'm only kidding.

Regards,

Sean. ~

Maxima sometimes looks too messy, she could give herself some more class by losing some weight. She should also be carefull of the sun, she's got quite a wrinkled face for being still young.
Sometimes her outfits are gorgeous, sometimes they're awful. Maybe she still needs to find the right style for her.

Mette-Marit should wear more colors.

Letizia still looks like a news reader, a new haircut and different style in clothing would do her good.

Sometimes Victoria of Sweden's clothes and hair look too severe fo her age.

I agree Mathilde of Belgium should wear her hair loose more often.

Originally posted by Sean.~@Jan 4th, 2004 - 3:41 am
Perhaps a day out with Princess Alexandra of Denmark will do her a world of good.
Princess Alexandra is really developing a Diana-esque following. In my opinion her clothes are very flashy and it is only her oriental complexion and overall look that allows her to carry it off.

I would like to se Letitzia wearing her hair up in some sort of bun. I don't like her haircut, it's not very royal IMO.

I would like Claire to wear a skirt sometimes. She's ALWAYS wearing pants.

I totally agree about your opinions about Maxima. She would look good in shorter hair.

I think Victoria shoul cut her hair at least 10 cm because I don't like the long hair she has now.

Well, that's my opinions so far. Great topic! :flower:

Elena of Spain should get a haircut and drop that sour expression on her face.

Mette-Marit of Norway should wear a little more makeup. Too casual a look for Crown Princess.

Victoria of Sweden should get a haircut as well.

Anne of Great Britain should have a full makeover. Remove that sour look on her face, glam it up a bit and start wearing Armani - she certainly has the body to carry it off.

Rania of Jordan - tone down the makeup, the over the top clothing and add some weight to that body.

I have to agree with the view of Rania. Claire should wear more skirts but she looks so good in pants that I hadn't noticed.

"Sometimes Victoria of Sweden's clothes and hair look too severe fo her age."

I have to wholeheartedly disagree. She is a classy dresser.

I think her hair needs low-lights. It's too blonde for my taste.

I don't agree about Mette Marit being too blonde BTW. I think her hair looks very natural, especially if you compare with Maxima or Madeleine. And I think it's nice that a future nordic queen looks naturally blonde. (even though I don't think her colour IS all natural :p )

Originally posted by Sean.~@Jan 4th, 2004 - 3:41 am
I have a soft spot for Mathilde. I remeber watching her wedding ceremony and her smile throughout the day just won me over. I do think, however, that her outfits are too matronly and too scool marm-ish. She needs to soften her outfits a little.
I think many of us are in agreement with Sean's comments on this one, that Mathilde dresses much too old for her age. Sometimes looking at her it is hard to believe that she is only in her early 30s! While I think that a conservative look is suitable for a Crown Princess, sometimes I think Mathilde takes the conservatism a bit too far! Not that I wan to see more bare skin or flesh from her, I just don't want to see Mathilde covered in head to toe!

Originally posted by wymanda+Jan 4th, 2004 - 7:00 am--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (wymanda @ Jan 4th, 2004 - 7:00 am)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Sean.~@Jan 4th, 2004 - 3:41 am
Perhaps a day out with Princess Alexandra of Denmark will do her a world of good.
Princess Alexandra is really developing a Diana-esque following. In my opinion her clothes are very flashy and it is only her oriental complexion and overall look that allows her to carry it off. [/b][/quote]
Is she? I wouldn't know becaue I don't follow her. Actually I don't follow any royal. My interests are more in monarchy as an institution, history, and forms of governance as opposed this royal or that royal. That being said, I think Alexandra generally looks very good. She dresses appropriately for a lady in her position. I do agree, however, that not everybody coudld carry off some of her outfits. For instance, I could not imagine Diana or any of teh aforementioned women carrying off a court train in this day and age (with the exception of Queen Silvia and perhaps Crown Princess Victoria). I think her ability to carry off her outfits has less to do with her ethnicity and more to do with her being height and weight proportionate, her statuere, and her self-confidence.

Indeed, if one lacks self-confidence and carries themselves poorly, the nicest clothes will look dumpy on them. From what I've seen, Alexandra is quite confident. And with good reason too. She's educated, a hard worker, good looking, has an adoring husband, has two beautiful children, and is appreciated by Danes.

Sean ~

"I don't agree about Mette Marit being too blonde BTW. I think her hair looks very natural, especially if you compare with Maxima or Madeleine. And I think it's nice that a future nordic queen looks naturally blonde. (even though I don't think her colour IS all natural."

I have to disagree with this. Her hair color is just fine. Her coloring all around is great. Also I don't think she is too casual.

I'll just recap the statements I agree with.

CP Maxima really does need to stop smoking and start using sunscreen. She is lovely, but her skin is beginning to take on the tough, leathery appearance we call "smoker's skin."

Queen Rania may have a genuine appreciation for fashion and the money to satisfy that end, but she is unfortunately in a role in which wearing head to toe designer labels refects especially badly on herself. As Sean said, it is hard to take a queen seriously when she shows up day after day in brand new Gucci, Dior, or Louis Vuitton. Rania should try mixing in some of her beloved labels with some more discreet clothes, and rotate some of her old items more. I rarely see her reuse the same handbag, for example, which is a shame, given that many cost more than what most families spend on food per month.

I have a soft spot for the charming CP Victoria, but I still think should get a haircut and destroy those ponytail holders!

Princess Alexandra's hosiery is too shiny for my taste, but at least she has the legs to carry them off. I have a soft spot for Alexandra too, so I can't find much else wrong with her!

I love CP Mette-Marit. After seeing princess after princess clad in beige suits and pumps, it is refreshing to see someone who dresses for her personality. The great thing about MM's fashion choices is a lack of pretentiousness. She reuses her coats and bags from time to time, and you never see anything on her which can be automatically traced back to Gucci or Prada. I'm not saying she doesn't wear expensive clothes, but if she does, she's at least very discreet about it.

I love her hair too. It lights up her face. And who should be blond if not a true Scandinavian?

I think Mathilde's style is just fine for her. A little conservative for her age, maybe, but I think she does realize that she could pull off a more youthful style and just chooses not to go that direction. She probably wishes instead to look elegant and tasteful, and she always does.

Mette-Marit's causualness is what I find appealing the most about her. She seems like a very easy going person and her wardrobe reflects that. She knows how to glam it up when she needs to.

Originally posted by Gabriella@Jan 4th, 2004 - 2:30 pm
Mette-Marit's causualness is what I find appealing the most about her. She seems like a very easy going person and her wardrobe reflects that. She knows how to glam it up when she needs to.
You know what, you're right. There is something very likeable and un-pretentious about her. In any event, given her background, if she were to become a fashion diva, the tongues would never stop wagging about how she is 'stormensgalen', etc. Although I still think she could use some (better) haute coutre from time to time (I'm thinking more about day wear than evening wear).

Sean. ~

This is a fun topic, and I can't believe I'm about to say anything about these women dress but...

Mette-Marit is casual but can turn it up when she needs to. I've rarely seen her in any evening wear that I didn't think was stunning on her. She would be harshly criticized for wearing too much designer wear, too. Wasn't she criticizied for a NY shopping spree?

I really like the clothes Letizia has chosen. I know, no one else did! The white Armani pantsuit was great and the black dress was nice. The coat dress was too big.

Maxima needs to lose weight? I hope that's baby weight you are talking about because I've never noticed any problem before. On the other hand, Rania, while beautiful, looks skeletal and fragile. I sincerely hope she doesn't get any smaller.

This all seems so petty and trivial...lol

I would like to see Mette-Marit with a different hairdo. Or at least to have it look nice all the time. There seem to be far to many pictures of it down and messy looking for public engagements. Maxima too. Long hair has to be styled or else it looks so messy when out and about.

I would like to see Rania wearing more traditional Jordanian attire more often. And I agree that she should lighten up on the designer wardrobe.

Pcss Anne should cut her hair so that she doesn't continue to wear it up in that victorian bun. She's had the same hairdo for 20+ years now. It would make such a change in her appearance and probably soften her look.

Infanta Elena....well...please forgive this...someone send her a waxing kit or tweezers for those eyebrows! That dour look she has on her face all the time would be much changed if she just shaped those eyebrows! All the money at her disposal yet those things are out of control.
I think I'll go play with an image and see if I can create something

Oh, what fun...

Well, about Mette-Marit's hair, if anyone's read the book about her? She had hair the colour of Marius' when she was younger, but then it turned browner when she was in her teens (I'm not sure if that was the colouring or if she's colouring it now.) At least in those pictures I saw.

It's nice that she's casual, but there's a difference between when she's representing, and in her spare time. So far she looks good when she's representing.

A point has already been made about "stormannsgalskap" ie. thinking you're better than you are. The Jante law lives on in Norway. It created an uproar when she bought clothes in New York. But what most newspapers neglected to tell was that her clothing before wasn't something you'd represent in... Using frugality is a must when she continues however.

"I would like to see Rania wearing more traditional Jordanian attire more often. "

Yes, and she does well when she visits traditional Jordanian places and people. However, I wonder what they all must think of her duality.

Originally posted by carolina@Jan 4th, 2004 - 2:59 pm
This is a fun topic, and I can't believe I'm about to say anything about these women dress but...

I know!!! Me too!! Oh well, as long as it is in good fun and doesn't get nasty.

Sean.~

Originally posted by norwegianne@Jan 4th, 2004 - 3:22 pm
Oh, what fun...

Well, about Mette-Marit's hair, if anyone's read the book about her? She had hair the colour of Marius' when she was younger, but then it turned browner when she was in her teens (I'm not sure if that was the colouring or if she's colouring it now.) At least in those pictures I saw.

It's nice that she's casual, but there's a difference between when she's representing, and in her spare time. So far she looks good when she's representing.

A point has already been made about "stormannsgalskap" ie. thinking you're better than you are. The Jante law lives on in Norway. It created an uproar when she bought clothes in New York. But what most newspapers neglected to tell was that her clothing before wasn't something you'd represent in... Using frugality is a must when she continues however.
"stormannsgalskap". Sorry if I got the spelling wrong. I know for a fact that Queen Sonja is often referred to as such my many Norwegians. I wouldn't want MM to have to suffer the same consequences.

Sean.~

What I think I like most about the way Mette-Marit and Maxima dress is that it reflects their personalities.

Mette-Marit's casual, laid-back look shows how natural and unpretentious she is. She wears very little make up (or if she wears a lot it looks very natural and subtle) and has a general un-fussy attitude about her. The mustard-yellow boots she wears now and then are a bit much but I've only seen her wear them on her royal duties once or twice; the other times she's worn them to private parties which you can't fault her for.

Maxima's clothes are very bright and vibrant -- an apt reflection of Maxima whom I perceive as to be very personable and cheery. I love that she chooses vibrant shades of red and fuschia for some of her suits. There is even one event where I saw her wearing red pants with a Pucci-esque print jacket that a lot of people abhorred, but I actually liked it. And I don't mind Maxima's long hair so much. I think it looks good on her. It may not be so practical now that she's got a little one to take care of but it looks good on her.

And some have mentioned Princess Anne getting a new do; I would like Infanta Elena to do the same. This is going to sound so harsh, but I think she needs to get rid of the flyaway strands at the front of her face and not wear her hear in a braid or low/flat ponytail anymore. I know she has (what seems like) very thick hair, but a good hairdresser could come up with a good and more appealing solution for her hair.

Here is Maxima's Pucci-esque jacket that I liked but others vehemently abhorred:

Attachments

• pucci.JPG
    pucci.JPG
    24.8 KB · Views: 212
"stormannsgalskap". "

I must say I was very shocked to hear about all of this. Her clothes do seem to be so unpretentious and all even if they were designer.

Originally posted by justine@Jan 4th, 2004 - 5:22 pm
I agree with you there. Once you have long hair, and all you do with it is pull it back in a ponytail or put it in a bun all the time.......well what's the point of having the long hair???
Yes, I agree about the long hair. You have long hair for a reason; don't pull it back constantly -- thereby nullifying whatever good things come out of having long hair. It's one thing for Elena to pull it back when she is playing with her kids or horseback riding or something similar, but every picture I see of her her hair looks the same. At least if she preferred her hair long, Elena could pull it up into a chignon or French twist or bun for formal occasions.

Originally posted by Dennism@Jan 4th, 2004 - 4:47 pm
"stormannsgalskap". "

I must say I was very shocked to hear about all of this. Her clothes do seem to be so unpretentious and all even if they were designer.
That wasn't my opinion, it's just a statement of how quickly you might be thought of as it. In some odd way people who marry into the royal family has to be even more careful than the family they marry into. The press, who're the ones who gives us the news, seems to let a lot more slide about the royal family than the ones who marry into it.

I bet Sonja bought just as much clothes when she married Harald, but the press then had slightly more tact. (And Sonja's educated in sewing, so...)

I really like the Infanta's new eyebrows... ;)

Originally posted by norwegianne+Jan 4th, 2004 - 5:49 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (norwegianne @ Jan 4th, 2004 - 5:49 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Dennism@Jan 4th, 2004 - 4:47 pm
"stormannsgalskap". "

That wasn't my opinion, it's just a statement of how quickly you might be thought of as it. In some odd way people who marry into the royal family has to be even more careful than the family they marry into. The press, who're the ones who gives us the news, seems to let a lot more slide about the royal family than the ones who marry into it.

I bet Sonja bought just as much clothes when she married Harald, but the press then had slightly more tact. (And Sonja's educated in sewing, so...)

I really like the Infanta's new eyebrows... ;) [/b][/quote]
I'm told by Norwegian friends (who don't really like Sonja) and knowledgable Nowregian contributors on other boards that Sonja *is* * often* referred to as such, as she tries to come across more royal than the royals. The palace reno's of the late 1990s didn't help either.

Sean

The Queen of England--lose the huge purses; update the shoes; something a little more delicate. To the Princess Royal---get a short haircut, and maybe just a little chin lift!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom