Norway: Genealogy and Relationships

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Royal Fan

Heir Presumptive
City
Monterey
Country
United States
How closely related is Haakon to Frederik and the Prince of Orange and dis daughters also how closely is Haakon related to H.R.H. Prince Christian?

Royal Fan said:
How closely related is Haakon to Frederik and the Prince of Orange and dis daughters also how closely is Haakon related to H.R.H. Prince Christian?

Frederik and Haakon are 3rd cousins once removed as both are direct descendants of the Danish King Christian IX. Baby Prince Christian and Haakon are 3rd cousins twice removed.

The Prince of Orange and Haakon are not directly related, they don't share past ancestors.

I've spent last night and some of today loading family trees into my geneological database, (a programme called Reunion), as I was trying to figure it all out on a piece of paper last night and just got confused.

So far I've got about 600 people in the database, and can say that Haakon and Frederik are related at least in three ways -

They are 3rd cousins with Frederik VIII of Denmark and Queen Louise as their common ancestors, they are 4th cousins with Queen Victoria and Prince Albert as their common ancestors and 3rd cousins once removed through Oscar II of Sweden and Sophie of Nassau. There's also a 4th, through Christian IX of Denmark being great great great grandfather of them - both of them through Frederik VIII as mentioned before, but for Haakon also through Christian's daughter Alexandra.

It's approx. the same with Haakon and Christian (the baby), only with "once removed" and "twice removed" instead.

As both Haakon and the Prince of Oranje is in line to the British throne (or rather, Willem-Alexander was until he married Maxima), they are related distantly that way. I'm a little bit curious on how Haakon's ancestor Queen Lovisa of Sweden, nee. princess of the Netherlands ties in to it all - if anyone could help.

Last edited:
norwegianne said:
I'm a little bit curious on how Haakon's ancestor Queen Lovisa of Sweden, nee. princess of the Netherlands ties in to it all - if anyone could help.

This is indeed the closest family connection of the two. They both descend from King Willem I of The Netherlands and Queen Wilhelmina-Frederica, nee Pss of Prussia.

Willem-Alexander in the line: Willem I-Willem II-Willem III-Wilhelmina-Juliana-Beatrix-WA

Haakon in the line: Willem I- Prince Frederik of The Netherlands-Queen Louise of Sweden-Queen Louise of Denmark-Princess Ingeborg of Sweden- Crownprincess Martha of Norway-King Harald V-Haakon.

I guess when they choose to spend time together in private and not related to royal duties they are somewhat close
In Norway the summer of 2004 (actionpress)
In Netherlands summer 2005 (smulders)

Marengo said:
This is indeed the closest family connection of the two. They both descend from King Willem I of The Netherlands and Queen Wilhelmina-Frederica, nee Pss of Prussia.

Willem-Alexander in the line: Willem I-Willem II-Willem III-Wilhelmina-Juliana-Beatrix-WA

Haakon in the line: Willem I- Prince Frederik of The Netherlands-Queen Louise of Sweden-Queen Louise of Denmark-Princess Ingeborg of Sweden- Crownprincess Martha of Norway-King Harald V-Haakon.

There is a closer connection:
Duke Wilhelm of Nassau -> Sophie -> Carl -> Märtha -> Harald V -> Haakon
Duke Wilhelm of Nassau -> Helene -> Emma -> Wilhelmina -> Juliana -> Beatrix - WA.

I stand corrected :)

I almost jumped off my seat, the first and second thumbnails on post 63 gave me in the impression it was Queen Elizabeth of Britain coming from a trip in Boca Raton, Florida! (those in the USA will get the joke, Florida is a state preferred for retirement by aging persons and some do dress in vibrant colors like that)

So, who is the lady? Is she related to the Windsors?

Last edited by a moderator:
You're talking about Princess Astrid, Mrs. Ferner. She, along with her sister, Princess Ragnhild Mrs. Lorentzen and their brother, King Harald, are second cousins of Queen Elizabeth.

Last edited by a moderator:
norwegianne said:
You're talking about Princess Astrid, Mrs. Ferner. She, along with her sister, Princess Ragnhild Mrs. Lorentzen and their brother, King Harald, are second cousins of Queen Elizabeth.

I don't have the genealogical tree so I asume all of them descend from Queen Mary? Queen Mary's features are the most recognizable facial features in royalty.

Toledo said:
I don't have the genealogical tree so I asume all of them descend from Queen Mary? Queen Mary's features are the most recognizable facial features in royalty.
No, they descend from Queen Alexandra / King Edward VII. Elizabeth's grandfather, George, and Astrid's grandmother, Maud, were brother and sister.

However, Queen Mary is also a distant relative, as her mother was a Princess of Great Britain.

Marengo said:

Harald's father and grandfather are also descendants of Louise of Netherlands. Ingeborg of Denmark was Haakon VIII:s sister, so Ingeborg's daughter Märta of Sweden and Haakon's son Olav V got married even though they were first cousins. But Olav's parents Haakon VIII and Maud of Wales were first cousins too, and Märta's parents duke Carl and duchess Ingeborg were first cousins once removed.

I know that at somepoint sweden and norway were under one ruler but was split so the norwegian royal family and swedish royal family are related through that plus christian ix and queen victoria which equals danish as well (maud and haakon).

The King of Sweden was also the King of Norway until Norwegian independence in 1905.
Prince Carl of Denmark was offered the Norwegian throne and became modern Norway's first King as Haakon VII.
His only son, later King Olav V, married Princess Märtha of Sweden, granddaughter of the last King of Sweden and Norway, Oscar II.

Last edited:
Genealogy of Mette-Marit, Crown Princess of Norway

Does anyone know if the Princess Mette-Marit is descended from a noble or a King?

Where can I find information about the ancestors of Princess Mette-Marit?

She is a commoner. That is 'modern monarchy'. We can try to find a snippet of blue blood but what is the added value?

She is a commoner. That is 'modern monarchy'. We can try to find a snippet of blue blood but what is the added value?

I know she is a commoner. Just created the topic so we know more about her family and their ancestors.

"Distantly related to some Norwegian and Swedish nobility" means absolutely nothing.

"Distantly related to some Norwegian and Swedish nobility" means absolutely nothing.

Al bina from Kazakhstan, I don´t know what´s your problem with the CPss of Norway (I noticed your hate-posts about her several times and kept my mouth shut so far!).

Our fellow poster simply stated that the Princess had this and that ancestry, not that it "meant" something!
Keep your unqualified comments for yourself and simply stay away from this thread if you dislike the lady that much!

Al bina from Kazakhstan, I don´t know what´s your problem with the CPss of Norway (I noticed your hate-posts about her several times and kept my mouth shut so far!).
Our fellow poster simply stated that the Princess had this and that ancestry, not that it "meant" something!
Keep your unqualified comments for yourself and simply stay away from this thread if you dislike the lady that much!

Dear waternberg7 from Hamburg, Gemany,
Hate is a strong and inaccurate word to describe my opinion about any European royal or noble. Personally I regard most of them, including Crown Princess Mette-Marit, with disdain.

You have a right to defend Crown Princess of Norway. If any of my posts are against the TRF rules, the moderators will modify or delete them. It has been my understanding that the TRF advises one to abstain from unsolicited advice.

Last edited:
Mette-Marit have noble ancestry
https://www.nrk.no/sorlandet/mette-marit-har-adelige-aner-1.331378

In an analysis of Mette-Marit's ancestry, it was revealed that several of her ancestors (as well as some living relations) were farmers and she is distantly related (prior to the 15th century) to some Norwegian and Swedish nobility.

I don't understand Norwegian,but is it stated that she has descended from King Harald the Fairhair as I have seen his name?

Dear waternberg7 from Hamburg, Gemany,
Hate is a strong and inaccurate word to describe my opinion about any European royal or noble. Personally I regard most of them, including Crown Princess Mette-Marit, with disdain.

You have a right to defend Crown Princess of Norway. If any of my posts are against the TRF rules, the moderators will modify or delete them. It has been my understanding that the TRF advises one to abstain from unsolicited advice.

Well, hate, dislike, call it what you want. Anyway, you use every opportunity to spread your, let´s say, "critics" against the CPss, no matter what it is about - this time it is her ancestry.
Do you know the wise word of "If you have nothing good to say about a person, say nothing!"?
Again, this thread is about genealogy as such, not if this means something. In fact, she wouldn´t need Kings or noble people in her ancestry nowadays to fulfill her job as future Queen of Norway at all. But it is simply interesting to know that she does have this particular background.
Beyond that, the Princess derives from a normal middle class background with a mother who worked as a bank employee and a father who was a journalist, loved by her parents and siblings. And that is something that REALLY does matter indeed!

Last edited:
May we get back to genealogy facts?

I find that more interesting :)

Back
Top Bottom