The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Weddings > Royal Weddings General Discussion

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-27-2005, 01:41 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraMCS
Diana. I think Diana's dress was unfortunate no matter what the era. I've seen plenty of beautiful wedding dresses in the early 80s and her's was not one of them.

Mabel. What is left to say about Mabel's dress that hasn't already been said? As far as unsmiling Friso is concerned, I think he took one look at that get-up and decided if he smiled even a little bit, he would just lose it and crack up at that "creation".

Letizia. I loved her tiara and veil but the dress was terrible. The collar was terrible and looked like it needed to be pressed. To me, the overall look was that the dress was bought 'off the rack'.
I think Di's dress was very o.t.t and the designers got too carried away with the 'fairytale' theme!

Mabel's dress was just so weird...I think I have now developed a phobia to bows.....

Old 12-27-2005, 03:56 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissajames
Mabel's dress was just so weird...I think I have now developed a phobia to bows.....
Whenever I see a picture of Mabel's dress, I can't help but picture her in a scene from the movie "The Birds". Instead of Tippi Hedren being attacked by a flock of evil birds, Mabel gets attacked by 248 deranged bows on her way to the church. :p :p

Old 12-27-2005, 04:09 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Whenever I see a picture of Mabel's dress, I can't help but picture her in a scene from the movie "The Birds". Instead of Tippi Hedren being attacked by a flock of evil birds, Mabel gets attacked by 248 deranged bows on her way to the church. :p :p
A very funny comparison LauraMCS!

In defence of Mabel (maybe I am the only one!), I think the neckline, cut and shape of her dress was very nice. It was just all those bows that made her dress so over the top. Maybe if there had only been 148 bows it would've been better!

If Mabel, Viktor & Rolf wanted a memorable dress however they certainly got it! More than a year and a half later everyone's still talking about what an interesting dress it was!
Old 12-27-2005, 04:17 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrant
Mabel's gown will go down in TRF history as the most puzzling design for a wedding gown All Hail to our Lady of the Bows!

Lol, yes it will be. Mabel's dress was, to me, very unfortunate maybe that is why JF wasn't smiling; it was simply the shock and horror of it all.
Old 12-27-2005, 06:35 PM
Commoner

I thought I posted this before but i dont see my post in here hmm.

Well I think Princess Sayako looked terrible at her wedding. The dress is very ill fitting. Not flattering at all.
Old 12-27-2005, 08:31 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandria
A very funny comparison LauraMCS!

In defence of Mabel (maybe I am the only one!), I think the neckline, cut and shape of her dress was very nice. It was just all those bows that made her dress so over the top. Maybe if there had only been 148 bows it would've been better!

If Mabel, Viktor & Rolf wanted a memorable dress however they certainly got it! More than a year and a half later everyone's still talking about what an interesting dress it was!
I absolutely agree with you about the dress in general. With (many) fewer bows the dress would have been beautiful. I thought the cut and neckline was perfect and very flattering on her.

I think Mabel and V&R have a good thing going in terms of their designer/client relationship. They obviously "get" her style and she is a very loyal client to them.
Old 12-27-2005, 10:00 PM
Gentry

We'll certainly have to agree to disagree, because if this is ugly, I don't know what is beautiful anymore.

Letizia's choice was perfect, she was poised and elegant and her dress did not look frumpy, the hairstyle flattered her - softened her strong features, and her makeup was gorgeous.

Together with Mathilde, Cristina, Claire and Maxima, this is one of my favorite wedding gowns. And she looked radiant in her wedding day.

Corbis & Diario de Navarra

Old 12-27-2005, 11:20 PM
Imperial Majesty

Well, Mabel's dress was certainly different; I was really amazed to see a royal bride in a getup like that.

However, I still prefer it to Annette's dress. Annette's dress was too much for her, it didn't fit, it was too short, it was rumpled, and the veil was overpowering. She was completely lost inside that dress, and it wasn't a bit flattering. I think the least we could expect from a royal bride is to have a dress that fits, not one that looks as though it's trying to engulf its wearer and take over.
Old 12-28-2005, 07:01 PM
Heir Presumptive

Please remember to credit the source for your images, else they will be deleted without notice.
Old 12-28-2005, 07:30 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandria
If Mabel, Viktor & Rolf wanted a memorable dress however they certainly got it!
Yes, it is like one of the those really bad adverts that you remember for the rest of your life...negative marketing!!!
Old 12-28-2005, 09:04 PM
Courtier

My four favorites were Maxima, Anita van Eijck (the most recent Dutch wedding), and Mary. I did like Letizia's but I thought the collar was a little much for the simplicity of the dress...but she carried it off brilliantly. I could never do the same.
Old 12-28-2005, 10:36 PM
Courtier

Talking

Quote:
LauraMCS, I'm laughing so hard at your message I have tears rolling down my face!!!!
Old 12-28-2005, 10:54 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth
Well, Mabel's dress was certainly different; I was really amazed to see a royal bride in a getup like that.

However, I still prefer it to Annette's dress. Annette's dress was too much for her, it didn't fit, it was too short, it was rumpled, and the veil was overpowering. She was completely lost inside that dress, and it wasn't a bit flattering. I think the least we could expect from a royal bride is to have a dress that fits, not one that looks as though it's trying to engulf its wearer and take over.
I can't find the thread about Annette's wedding, Elspeth, do you have any pics so I know what you are talking about?

:)
Old 12-28-2005, 11:05 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlitteringTiaras
I can't find the thread about Annette's wedding, Elspeth, do you have any pics so I know what you are talking about?

:)
You can see Princess Annette's dress in this post from our June newsletter or this thread on Princess Annette and Prince Bernhard Jr.'s wedding.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:18 PM
Heir Apparent

Thank you very much.

I can now see why some find Annette's dress ill-fitting. The cut is awful especially at her feet. It seems that they sewed it together in one hour. The veil is not a good choice either. It's too bad, she's quite beautiful.
Old 01-06-2006, 09:41 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrant
LauraMCS, I'm laughing so hard at your message I have tears rolling down my face!!!!
Now, now.

I happen to agree about the bows on Mabel's dress, but I'm with Alexandria regarding the dress itself.

Seriously, if you 'think away' the bows, the cut and the fabric are just exquisite. If these bows hadn't happened to that gown, it would be one of my favorite bridal gowns of royal brides EVER.

Of course, needless to say, these bows just ruined it. But even WITH the bows, I agree that Annette's dress was way way worse.
Old 01-12-2006, 09:28 AM
Aristocracy

pls post annette dress I cant remember
Old 01-12-2006, 09:36 AM
Serene Highness

Here you go, Hania. :)
I think it's especially the veil that is horrific. The dress is a bit matronly (not my style) but the veil makes her look like she's on big wedding cake... :o

Picture of seegerpress.de
Old 01-12-2006, 09:41 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxie
Here you go, Hania. :)
I think it's especially the veil that is horrific. The dress is a bit matronly (not my style) but the veil makes her look like she's on big wedding cake... :o

Picture of seegerpress.de

The veil is quite big, but I think the dress is fine. Not the best I have seen ...and the style reminds me of Mathide's dress.
Old 01-12-2006, 09:43 AM
Serene Highness

And here's a better one, from ALP and originally posted by Mandy in the wedding thread of Bernhard and Annette, which can be found here

The fabric is weird too, it looks like it has to be ironed...
Such a shame, because she seems to be such a lovely person!

Tags
bride, royal weddings