The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Royal House of Jordan

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-06-2004, 05:45 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally posted by Moonlightrhapsody@Aug 5th, 2004 - 12:09 pm
Then again, it would be hard to tell if Noor was a good step-mother to King Hussein's children. More often than not, step-children hold at least a little bit of resentment towards their parents' new spouses just for the fact that they married into the family. I guess no one really knows unless you're a part of the family.
i think QNoor openly states that she was not the most maternal of women. however kh could have step forward and intervened in her absentee mommy-hood...if he wanted. he is just as much of the kid's parent as QN.

i've read posts on here about KH & QN leaving on holiday and the kids being stuck in Jordan as they have just returned from boarding school or something to that effect.....so my questiong is: did KH not know his kids were being left behind? did he care? why is he not raked over the coals also? i realise he is/was a king and probably had more to do than stand over his wifes shoulder but really.....i always thought KH & QN to be very 'in tandem' on lots of things.

and yes I read QN's book. the only really personal thing I took from the book is that KH came across as the 'Husband from Hell'.

Old 08-06-2004, 06:33 PM
Aristocracy

I had this discussion with a friend the other day, the differences between old vs. new money. I'm curious to know what your opinions are pertaining to old vs. new money. What defines old vs. new money?

Old 12-15-2004, 11:02 AM
Gentry

Rania VS Noor....

Hello,

I've read somewhere that the 2 queens hate each other, is this true and if yes, why?

thanks
Old 12-15-2004, 11:10 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by karima
Hello,

I've read somewhere that the 2 queens hate each other, is this true and if yes, why?

thanks
I think hate is a very strong word...probably dislike. And why not? Despite the fact that Noor was American, she eventually gained the respect of many Jordanians. Queen Rania has, of late, been loosing the respect of many Jordanians. I don't think Queen Rania likes to share the spotlight with anyone, and sees Noor as a threat to her.
Old 12-15-2004, 11:17 AM
Gentry

I was not aware of that fact that Rania was not well liked.

PS: someone can tell me how many wives the late King Hussein had?
Old 12-15-2004, 11:32 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by karima
I was not aware of that fact that Rania was not well liked.

PS: someone can tell me how many wives the late King Hussein had?
Well, a Queen who makes the news so frequently for her obsession with her looks and shopping is often not going to be well liked, especially the Queen of a nation with such a high poverty rate. King Hussein had 4 wives: Dina, Muna (Toni Gardner), Alia, and Noor (Lisa Halaby).
Old 12-15-2004, 11:41 AM
Gentry

I guess so, I always found her to be bit to much!
Old 12-15-2004, 12:06 PM
Aristocracy

on what base are you building your judgements? has anyone of you lived in jordan or even met a jordanian. in a country where the majority of people are palestenians I can assure you that a palestenian queen is liked much more than an american queen, jordanians used to like queen noor only because they loved their late king, most of jordanians do not like her as a person. by the way I'm jordanian.
Old 12-15-2004, 12:15 PM
Nobility

I agree with Farah

I abslutly agree with Farah. In fact Queen Noor wasn't loved by their people, mainly because she was american and also because at the first time as queen she spent a lot of money in jewels, clothes and so on. That doesn't mind that she wasn't a good queen, I do think she was a good queen and worked seriously in favour of her new country.
On the other hand Queen Rania has the advantage of being palestinian and today more than 60% of Jordan people are palestinian roots.
Sol
Old 12-15-2004, 01:16 PM
Commoner

I was voicing my assesment of the situation based on the jordanians I've talked to. I'm sure there are plenty of people who are pro-Noor /pro-Rania and plenty of people who are also on the other side of the spectrum. But when there are two Queens in a country, there is atleast some competition...to say the least.
Old 12-15-2004, 08:11 PM
Nobility

Firstly, I think starting a thread like this with such an opening line as Rania VS Noor is only likely going to generate a heated discussion. People have their own views and ideas. That's fine.

I personally think that we will never know the true story. It is clouded in gossip and innuendo. Two people can rub each other the wrong way, but still have anough decency, especially if they are in the same family, to respect one another. I have never heard either queen talk disparagingly about the other. Hey, they might be OK with one another. The reason why Queen Noor isn't as visible in Jordan could be for a myriad different reasons than the conclusion some people come up with that Queen Rania likes all the spotlight for herself. I personally think this is nonsense.
Old 12-15-2004, 08:16 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrose53083
Well, a Queen who makes the news so frequently for her obsession with her looks and shopping is often not going to be well liked, especially the Queen of a nation with such a high poverty rate. King Hussein had 4 wives: Dina, Muna (Toni Gardner), Alia, and Noor (Lisa Halaby).
I don't think shopping trips would be classified as newsworthy, Redrose. Queen Rania is much more known for the hard work she has done for Jordan and the various organizations she supports. If the Jordanian people do not see this, and I am actually quite sure that they generally do, then it's quite sad. I think it's actually some people on the internet who are so focused on the clothes, who constantly bring up her supposed obsession with looks. That's what I see.
Old 12-15-2004, 09:23 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by sol_anglada
I abslutly agree with Farah. In fact Queen Noor wasn't loved by their people, mainly because she was american and also because at the first time as queen she spent a lot of money in jewels, clothes and so on. That doesn't mind that she wasn't a good queen, I do think she was a good queen and worked seriously in favour of her new country.
On the other hand Queen Rania has the advantage of being palestinian and today more than 60% of Jordan people are palestinian roots.
Sol
how did you know that noor wasn't loved by the people ? she is very popular and still, we don't have problem with her being american.
queen Rania also is a good queen, i am not palestinian and I like her, and with the time she will be as much popular as noor or more when she become a queen for 20 years like her.
Old 12-16-2004, 12:22 AM
Serene Highness

QN has been very public in stating she hopes "to help KA and QR" and "never to be a burden to them in anyway." Perhaps that is why she is keeping a lower profile in Jordan now. After KH's death, I think she quite graciously moved into a behind the scenes role and focused on her children. As my late grandmother used to say (she was Irish): "Refrain from indulging in hatred. It seldom becomes anyone." When asked if she was a "friend" of Princess Diana, QN responded they'd met but their hectic schedules kept them from spending much time together. Both QR and QN have a lot on their plates. Perhaps, it's that which keeps them apart.
Old 12-16-2004, 06:25 AM
Serene Highness

Here are a few photos of Jordan's Queens together.

A few more
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	67091   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	768
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	67092   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	16.4 KB
ID:	67093   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	67094  

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	67095   Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	67096   Click image for larger version

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	67097   Click image for larger version

Name:	8.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	67098  

Name:	9.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	67099   Click image for larger version

Name:	10.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	67100   Click image for larger version

Name:	11.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	67101   Click image for larger version

Name:	12.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	67102  

Name:	13.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	67103   Click image for larger version

Name:	14.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	67104   Click image for larger version

Name:	15.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	67105   Click image for larger version

Name:	16.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	67106  

Name:	17.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	67107   Click image for larger version

Name:	18.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	67108  
Old 12-16-2004, 11:18 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balqis
I don't think shopping trips would be classified as newsworthy, Redrose. Queen Rania is much more known for the hard work she has done for Jordan and the various organizations she supports. If the Jordanian people do not see this, and I am actually quite sure that they generally do, then it's quite sad. I think it's actually some people on the internet who are so focused on the clothes, who constantly bring up her supposed obsession with looks. That's what I see.
Who first established Jordan River Foundation?
Who first establised "Nisa'a Bani Hamida"?
Who first called for humen and Children rights?

Can someone please answer me?(it's an innocent Question by the way)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balqis
So are you saying she isn't doing enough? Personally I think the article above just shows what the King and Queen are up against. The incentive to move forward, to create a better life for their subjects is there, but sometimes they come up against a wall. It's a complex issue. I don't think you can fault Rania for at least trying.

Also, from what I have seen of the King's recent trip to the US and Japan, he has been tirelessly talking about the Palestinian issue, making sure the coming elections run smoothly and basically promotiong a positive outlook for the future of the Palestinian issue ie. that it is the main agenda of world leaders. Abdullah, along with Rania, have been doing that for years now. I think they see a positive outcome for the Palestinians as benefiting Jordan and the whole region and they are doing what they can. King Hussein and Queen Noor have always made that their priority too :)
We Cannot deny the stuff KA has been doing ,it's so obvious how Jordan has improved in so many fields (I am not underestimating KH's role,the situation was difft back then),All Jordanians from both origins probably agree with me...It's smthing noone can deny...
Old 12-16-2004, 05:49 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-R-O-U-B-L-E
Who first established Jordan River Foundation?
Who first establised "Nisa'a Bani Hamida"?
Who first called for humen and Children rights?

Can someone please answer me?(it's an innocent Question by the way)
I am glad you brought this up actually, Trouble, because this needs to be corrected. Jordan River began, according to Queen Noor as:

"Jordan River Design, which was established by the Save the Children Fund in cooperation with the Noor Al Hussein Foundation in 1987, was transferred to the Jordan River for Development Projects (JRDP), a non-profit volunteer organization under the presidency of HM Queen Rania Abdullah."

I got the above from this link: http://www.go.com.jo/QNoorjo/main/hmpics.htm

Queen Rania wasn't around in 1987, but according to the Jordan River Foundation's official website, JRF was established in 1995, two years after she married King (then Prince) Abdullah. JRF now does more than just traditional crafts and designs, it encompasses a lot of projects dealing with the rights of children and women as well as the enviroment. Under Queen Rania it has grown considerably, see link:
http://www.jordanriver.jo/

As for the other things you raised, I see nothing wrong with one queen building on something a previous queen has started. It's about helping people and your country, not about who started what. If you check both Queen Noor's and Queen Rania's official websites you will see that BOTH are doing tremendous work. Queen Rania always credits Queen Noor when it is appropriate. For example my husband and I purchased a book on Petra and the exhibition that was unveiled in the US last year. The forward is actually written by Queen Rania and Queen Noor is credited in the book for starting talks with the museum and getting the ball rolling with the idea for the exhibition back in the early 1990's. Just one example...
Old 12-16-2004, 07:07 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryshawn
QN has been very public in stating she hopes "to help KA and QR" and "never to be a burden to them in anyway." Perhaps that is why she is keeping a lower profile in Jordan now. After KH's death, I think she quite graciously moved into a behind the scenes role and focused on her children. As my late grandmother used to say (she was Irish): "Refrain from indulging in hatred. It seldom becomes anyone." When asked if she was a "friend" of Princess Diana, QN responded they'd met but their hectic schedules kept them from spending much time together. Both QR and QN have a lot on their plates. Perhaps, it's that which keeps them apart.
I think your description of Queen Noor is spot on, Mary Shawn. She is gracious and understands the situation. I remember reading a Vanity Fair interview with her in 1999 and the atmosphere in her home in Jordan and with King Abdullah was fine. It seemed they were all pulling together as a family and trying to make the enormous transition that was taking place in everyone's life in that family that much smoother. When it counts they know "blood is thicker than water". Whatever personality clashes exist (and they exist in every family) are just the fodder for the gossips who seem to blow everything out of proportion

BTW I loved your grandmother's saying!!! Very wise :)
Old 12-16-2004, 10:32 PM
Serene Highness

Noor and Rania

I think so. Will they ever be great friends, shopping and socializing a lot together? Probably not because of age difference, very, very hectic schedules and commitments all over the world. I don't like to come to any conclusions through photos but they certainly seem friendly; their body language is not hostile at all. For all the speculation, and I've read a lot on both women, neither has ever said anything remotely negative about the other. QN has described QR as a "lovely but also beautiful in spirit, very pragmatic.....woman who "will certainly use her skills to advance the causes which better the lives of the Jordanian people." She said she thought that was the best role, in fact, for a Queen of Jordan. QR was a great comfort to QN during her days of mourning KH. I think we can sum up their relationship as "pleasant and cordial" and certainly we can look at QN's daughters' close relationship with KA as further proof that these women do not hate one another. QN's daughters would not retain such closeness if they felt it would hurt their mother or felt either KA or QR were treating their mother disrespectfully.

I'm glad you like my grandmother's sayings. She was a character but brimming with wisdom.....my favourite:

Life is like waves. When you are down, don't get discouraged because you are already on your way up and when you are up don't become complacent because you are already on your way down. Sometimes, it is smart just to float.

What does this have to do with QR and QN? I think they have both endured a lot and enjoyed many great things as well. But the sense I get from both is one of great similarities: Each gets up ready to face whatever comes that day; just trying to do their best.
Now there's a topic--similarities: Both are highly disciplined, smart, funny, pragmatic women who place great priority on family. I also think some of the comments about both women's glamour could be reinterpreted. QR was recently photographed wearing elegant arabic clothing amidst various places in Jordan......is it vanity or promoting people to visit Jordan? I think the latter.
Old 12-16-2004, 10:45 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryshawn
I think so. Will they ever be great friends, shopping and socializing a lot together? Probably not because of age difference, very, very hectic schedules and commitments all over the world. I don't like to come to any conclusions through photos but they certainly seem friendly; their body language is not hostile at all. For all the speculation, and I've read a lot on both women, neither has ever said anything remotely negative about the other. QN has described QR as a "lovely but also beautiful in spirit, very pragmatic.....woman who "will certainly use her skills to advance the causes which better the lives of the Jordanian people." She said she thought that was the best role, in fact, for a Queen of Jordan. QR was a great comfort to QN during her days of mourning KH. I think we can sum up their relationship as "pleasant and cordial" and certainly we can look at QN's daughters' close relationship with KA as further proof that these women do not hate one another. QN's daughters would not retain such closeness if they felt it would hurt their mother or felt either KA or QR were treating their mother disrespectfully.

I'm glad you like my grandmother's sayings. She was a character but brimming with wisdom.....my favourite:

Life is like waves. When you are down, don't get discouraged because you are already on your way up and when you are up don't become complacent because you are already on your way down. Sometimes, it is smart just to float.

What does this have to do with QR and QN? I think they have both endured a lot and enjoyed many great things as well. But the sense I get from both is one of great similarities: Each gets up ready to face whatever comes that day; just trying to do their best.
Now there's a topic--similarities: Both are highly disciplined, smart, funny, pragmatic women who place great priority on family. I also think some of the comments about both women's glamour could be reinterpreted. QR was recently photographed wearing elegant arabic clothing amidst various places in Jordan......is it vanity or promoting people to visit Jordan? I think the latter.
This is an excellent summary of both, Mary Shawn and yeah your grandma is very very wise :)

I don't think anyone benefits from marginalising one queen over the other.

The picture on the first link I posted above has Queen Noor and Princess Rania visiting a project together back in the 1990's. I think back in the day Rania was probably slowly introduced to royal duties by Noor and I am sure she'd be the first to acknowledge it and say thanks :)