A boy for Prince Aimone and Princess Olga of Savoy: Umberto - March 7, 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Why don't you think Umberto is the right name?

Umberto seems to be an old-fashioned name - it certainly carries a lot of history.
I find it kind of cool when parents name their babies with old-fashioned names - they will probably use a cute nickname with this baby or call him by a second or third name.

I wonder which "cute" name could come out from Umberto:Berto? :D

I wonder which "cute" name could come out from Umberto:Berto? :D
I hope not the one of King Umberto II, Bepo...however usually Berto is the nickname for Umberto.

Is Umberto his only name or will possible other names announced later?

Is Umberto his only name or will possible other names announced later?

If other names are announced, I think it is likely it will be something like Umberto Amedeo Michele Pio Aimone Maria

Amedeo and Michele for his grandfathers, Aimone for his father, and they can throw in Pio after Padre Pio! :lol:

Great news!All the best luck to the new Prince!!

Nothing from VE and EF about the birth of Umberto?? No declarations, no congratulations, no titles, even if minor titles??? Umberto ever is a Prince of the Family VE says to be the Head...

So we have two Princes of Piedmont right now,
Emanuele Filiberto Umberto Reza Ciro Renato Maria di Savoia-Carignano, Prince of Venice and Prince of Piedmont
Umberto di Savoia-Aosta, Prince of Piedmont.

So we have two Princes of Piedmont right now,
Emanuele Filiberto Umberto Reza Ciro Renato Maria di Savoia-Carignano, Prince of Venice and Prince of Piedmont
Umberto di Savoia-Aosta, Prince of Piedmont.
But which one is the right one? (personally, I have no doubts about...)
Two Princes of Piedmont cannot exist...

This seems to be the only thread about The Duke and Duchess of Apulia, so I have to ask this here: is The Duchess of Apulia still an Eastern Orthodox Christian? I don't recall reading anywhere that she converted to Roman Catholicism.

So we have two Princes of Piedmont right now...
Good question. Burke's Royal Families of the World Vol 1 gives Emanuele Filiberto 'Prince of Venice' as his only title, as does my Almanach de Gotha. Some other references give 'Prince of Venice and Prince of Piedmont', while Wiki gives 'Prince of Venice and Piedmont'.

Curiously, Vittorio Emanuele, although effective Crown Prince of Italy in May-June 1946, is not known as 'Crown Prince' (as for example Alexander of Yugoslavia/Serbia) but rather as 'Prince of Naples'. Since the title of Prince of Piedmont has historical significance within the Savoy dynasty I've never understood why either Vittorio Emanuele or his only son Emanuele Filiberto didn't or don't carry (or, more accurately, use) this title. In hindsight they appear to have left the door open for an Aosta heir to assume it, which is what has happened, although maybe they were hoping that EF would have a son to carry the Piedmont title.

MAfan said:
Nothing from VE and EF about the birth of Umberto?? No declarations, no congratulations..
Nothing so far that anyone has picked up, although one would hope there may have been at least a private message of congratulations. After all, a new Savoy Prince is a rare occurrence.

Vittorio Emanuele didn't carry the title of Prince of Piedmont only because this was the title of his Father when VE was born; so VE carried the other title for the Heir to the Throne, Prince of Naples. In 1971 he marrid Marina Ricolfi Doria; King Umberto never recognised this wedding as dinastyc, and VE lost his rights to the Throne and his Title, so when Emanuele Filiberto was born in 1972 the King gave him the title of Prince of Venice, but not the one of Prince of Piedmont, because EF was not the heir. In 1984 VE gave EF the title of Prince of Piedmont, but, not being VE the Head of the Family, this act was not dinastycally valid.

In the latest interview Prince EF gave to DIVA mag, there's no mention to his cousin Aimone's son.

The new Prince of Piedmont was born just a few days ago.
It would depend on when the interview was given, what questions were asked of EF, and what, if anything, was edited out.

I also had the same thoughts. I really do not know exactly when the interview was given, but since he said he's happy to have got to the semifinal in the show "Dancing with the Stars" or whatever it's called, I assume he must have been interviewed shortly after. The show is aired on Saturday evenings.

Congratulations Prince Aimone and Princess Olga

Good question. Burke's Royal Families of the World Vol 1 gives Emanuele Filiberto 'Prince of Venice' as his only title, as does my Almanach de Gotha. Some other references give 'Prince of Venice and Prince of Piedmont', while Wiki gives 'Prince of Venice and Piedmont'.
I found this on An Online Gotha, geneweb, Monarchies of Europea and Henri van Oene's site.

Warren said:
Curiously, Vittorio Emanuele, although effective Crown Prince of Italy in May-June 1946, is not known as 'Crown Prince' (as for example Alexander of Yugoslavia/Serbia) but rather as 'Prince of Naples'. Since the title of Prince of Piedmont has historical significance within the Savoy dynasty I've never understood why either Vittorio Emanuele or his only son Emanuele Filiberto didn't or don't carry (or, more accurately, use) this title. In hindsight they appear to have left the door open for an Aosta heir to assume it, which is what has happened, although maybe they were hoping that EF would have a son to carry the Piedmont title.
Well, they are royals;)

Warren said:
Nothing so far that anyone has picked up, although one would hope there may have been at least a private message of congratulations. After all, a new Savoy Prince is a rare occurrence.
Maybe they doesn't have any radio, TV or newspaper...

Last edited by a moderator:
If we accept that Emanuele Filiberto is a Prince of Savoy with the style of Royal Highness, his daughters are Princesses of Savoy and Royal Highnesses as well.
Those who don't accept EF's royal Savoy status will deny the same to his daughters.

If we accept that Emanuele Filiberto is a Prince of Savoy with the style of Royal Highness, his daughters are Princesses of Savoy and Royal Highnesses as well.
Those who don't accept EF's royal Savoy status will deny the same to his daughters.
If we don't accept EF is a Prince of Savoy, but only His Excellency Emanuele Filiberto di Savoia, Prince of Venice (the title given him by the King), his daughters are "only" Donna Vittoria and Donna Luisa di Savoia of the Princes of Venice.

what a shame that the Italian media always give a lot of importance to "stars" like Fabrizio Corona or reality "stars" and didn't report this news!

what a shame that the Italian media always give a lot of importance to "stars" like Fabrizio Corona or reality "stars" and didn't report this news!

Because they are a republic now. They don't have a monarchy so basically they are considered normal people (they just have royalty in their Ancestry)

Back
Top Bottom