The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Non-Reigning Houses > The Imperial Family of Russia

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-05-2011, 04:13 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iluvbertie View Post

Another point was that despite how poorly prepared the Russians were they still managed to tie down about 5/8s of the German army until early 1918 (meaning that the industrialised nations of Britain and France were only fighting 3/8s of the army in the West).

By sheer numbers only. Massie reports (N & A) that Grand Duke Boris was in charge of outfitting troops w/munitions etc. and grafted heavily on it. The Crawford book states that there frequently wasn't enough food, etc. when GD Michael was fighting.
Even the execution squad of Nicky, Alicky and the children were poorly equipped with guns that jammed, powder that didn't go off and just blew smoke.

Old 07-05-2011, 11:11 PM
Serene Highness

I guess the better question on this thread would be what would have happened to Russia if there were no World War I. In such a case, I think Nicky would have been toppled but perhaps when Alexei were older. Of course, something could have happened to kill Alexis and then maybe Nicky would have voluntarily abdicated and become a farmer as he wished.

Old 07-05-2011, 11:21 PM
Courtier

I think that without war or at least participating, Russia might have actually ended up with a less radical revolution or there might have not been one at all.
Old 08-05-2011, 04:09 PM
Aristocracy

but did they have to murder them...couldnt they have just exiled them ...
Old 08-05-2011, 04:20 PM
Heir Apparent

The Bolshevicks decided to follow the model of the French revolution of 1789.
Old 08-05-2011, 04:34 PM
Aristocracy

but that was 1700's ....this wasnt a modern way to do things imo......even now if things were to go downhill with monarchs....people wouldnt resort to killing them...imagine the outcry
Old 08-05-2011, 04:53 PM
Heir Apparent

Any newly minted political regime tries to extirpate a previous one. It is an axiom. Nowadays the judicial system is mostly used. The French did use the court too. Bolshevicks were condemned for this senseless act. As for the outcry, the dogs bark, but the caravan goes on.
Old 08-07-2011, 04:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

ive heard it was done out of weakness not strength the Bolsheviks were losing so they got rid of any rayying point for the Monarchists
Old 08-07-2011, 04:53 PM
Heir Apparent

What were the Bolshevicks in the process of losing? They were in the process of asserting the control of over the country and continuing the old Tsarist politics under a new name. It is sad that careers of great military commanders such as Admiral Kolchak, Baron Wrangel and General Denikin were sacrificed in vain.
Old 08-07-2011, 06:07 PM
Commoner

Maybe Royal Fan though situation near Ekateriburg when czech-slovak soldiers were coming to rule city. So Reds we loosing this area
Old 08-08-2011, 12:53 PM
Heir Apparent

I see. The Czech legion and its atrocities were mentioned in the official history books. However, it is impossible to determine whether or not the advancing White army prompted the Bolshevicks to execute Nicholas II and his family in haste.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:08 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
I see. The Czech legion and its atrocities were mentioned in the official history books. However, it is impossible to determine whether or not the advancing White army prompted the Bolshevicks to execute Nicholas II and his family in haste.
Al bina! How are you?

I just finished re-reading "The Last Days of the Romanovs" which was just incredible. Sad, panoramic, descriptive, and doom-filled.

The book (which I heartily recommend) discusses the Czech & White armies advancing on Ekaterinberg and the acceleration of the plans to liquidate the family. However, the book also makes clear that it was always the fate of the Romanovs to be liquidated, entirely.

So did the advance of the Czech and White Armies hasten the outcome? Perhaps - but by days only, if that.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:10 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
I dont know what Royal Fan though. I dont have many informations about that. Was there any order from Moscow? or it was separate action by Sverdlovsk Reds? What does official documents say?
Old 08-08-2011, 02:40 PM
Heir Apparent

The All-Russian Central Executive Committee sanction court proceedings against Nicholas II and his family in early April, 1918. However, the Ural Committee decided to execute with a silent, but unathorised approval from Moscow in early July, 1918 because the White Army was advancing. The following link contains some details related to the topic.
http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%A0%...BC%D1%8C%D0%B8

NotAPretender,
I have got the same impressions from reading both official and unofficial opinions about those tumultuous times. The Bolshevicks more or less replicated the French revolution. Excessive terror was used to maintain the Revolution and the new Republic.
Old 12-31-2011, 03:32 AM
Aristocracy

I think that there still would have been a revolution but it would be in the 20s sometime. I think the massive loss of life and the poor leadership that Nicholas had militarily and the even worse was his wife's handling of the everyday stuff of the empire. So the revolutions momentum came from all these problems that where brought on by the war.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:33 PM
Commoner

My only thoughts on this is that Nicholas came to the throne at the wrong time, him and his family might not have been killed if they hadn't come to power at the time that relations were so tense and no matter what they didn't I don't think it would've helped at all.
Old 06-23-2013, 04:19 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemonaco View Post
but did they have to murder them...couldnt they have just exiled them ...
I read that the Bolsheviks didn't want to risk that the people would someday want the Imperial Family back on the throne, thus they decided to murder them. With all of them gone then there would be no threats to the Bolsheviks losing power.

Tags
russia world war one monarchy