Ducal House of Saxe-Coburg und Gotha (Wettin)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Does anyone know whether HPss Kelly of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha has obtained German citizenship? Also, will she use her maiden name or her married name professionally(as an investment banker)?

Does anyone have a picture of the minor prince August Ludwig Viktor, (b 1817-18) from the House of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha-Kohary, married Clementine, daughter of King of France -- in addition to the small picture/painting on Wikipedia? I believe he later gained the title of Highness in Austria and passed away shortly after that. Also, what is he best remembered for? (I hope my information is correct.) Thank you in advance.

August Ludwig Viktor, (b 1817-18)
Burke's Royal Families of the World Vol 1 has Prince August of Saxe-Coburg-Kohary (1818-1881) as a Major-General in the Austrian Army and a Lt-General in the Saxon Army, and a member of the Austrian House of Lords.
He was granted the qualification of Highness for himself and his descendants about three months prior to his death.

Interesting how his Highness August Ludwig Viktor (1818-1881) passed away in July 1881 from bronchitus (ref: Wikipedia French language version). I normally think of people having problems with bronchitus in the winter months with viruses. Maybe he had allergies. I hope there was no planned demise after he was given the title "Highness" - as he was considered a minor prince and that could have aggravated some circles. Did he have a good relationship with his wife Clementine?

Would someone happen to have a family picture of Prince August Ludwig Viktor, Saxe-Corburg-Kohary (aka: his "Highness" in Austria) -- maybe with Clementine or with any of his children? There appears to be very few pictures available on line. Thanks in advance.

Good news. I found pictures of Prince August, his wife Clementine and family members in Olivier Defrance's book entitled, "La Medicis des Cobourg - Clementine d'Orleans."

Very little has been written about Prince August. The book did mention he had an affair with the wife of Carl Braun (famous Austrian obstetrician). Is that true? How did that effect his relationship with Clementine and the family? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Prince Ernst-Josias of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha died on 4 september 2009, aged 44.
He was a son of the late Prince Ernst-Leopold, himself the eldest son of Hereditary Prince Johann Leopold.
Prince Ernst-Josias was married since 1996 to Birgit Meissner, with whom he had a daughter, Sophie, in 2000.

:previous:
do you know the cause of death mafan ?......i ask as he was so young !!
my heart goes out to the family at this sad time.....

No, I don't know...but he was rather young...

On 4 September Ernst Josias Carl Eduard Hermann Leopold of Saxe-Coburg & Githa died at the age of 44. He was the grandson of prince Johann Leopold of Saxe-Coburg & Gotha. The prince however married morganatically, so his descendants lost their rights.

Prince Johannes Heinrich of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha died on 14 April 2010, aged 79.

He was son of Prince Rainer of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha and of his first wife, née Countess Johanna Károlyi de Károly-Patty.
He married firstly in 1957 Baroness Marie-Gabrielle von Fürstenberg, with whom he had a daughter, Felicitas. They divorced in 1968.
He was married secondly in 1968 to Princess Mathilde of Saxony; they had a son, who died in 1987 in a mountain-climbing accident. They divorced in 1993.

Sad news for the family. My condolances.

with his death the Catholic branch of the Ducal family is now extinct in the male line, leaving only the morganatic son of Prince Phillip, Phillip and his sons, Maximillian and Alexander, to carry on the male, though non royal line.
The other branchs of the Ducal family are the main line, the Windsors, the Belgians and the Bulgarians.

Can someone post any photos of Johannes Heinrich and his family, please ?

He was 1st married to pss Gabrielle of Furstenbeg - 1 daughter, Pss Felicitas.

He married 2ndly Pss Mathuilde of Saxony - 1 son Pr. Johannes Albert who should have become the heir of the Saxony throne if he hadn't died from a mountain fall in 1987.

JSP

Gabrielle was not born into the Princely Family zu Fürstenberg, but into the Baronal branch of the family, as daughter of Baron Franziskus von Fürstenberg.

Those two Fürstenberg families are not even related in male line...

Or at least they are very distantly related.

It seems to me that there should be more about them, as they are rather central in a hereditary and historical sense to rest of the European royal "community".​

Why do you think that they are central in a hereditary and historical sense?

[/CENTER]
Why do you think that they are central in a hereditary and historical sense?

It's because the Coburg's bloodline dominated the European monarchies through the marriage of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert, who was the nephew of Leopold of the Saxe-Coburg family.

Though prolific the Coburg bloodline has not been particularly good at anything but marrying well. Victoria did not inherit exceptional gnes.

Or at least they are very distantly related.

No,they are not the same family in male line...not even distantly related in male line like for example former Duke of Cadaval and his daughters husband Duke of Anjou...both belong to the House of Capet.

That is not the case with Princes and Barons zu Fürstenberg...

Ok, thank you for the clarification!

Question about the Saxe-Coburg-Kohary line

I have a question about a marriage in this family. The 1815 marriage between

Prince Ferdinand Georg August of Saxe-Coburg-Saafeld (later Ferdinand of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha)
Prince Ferdinand of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

with Pirincess Maria Antonia Kohary de Csabrag et Szitnya

led to the creation of the Saxe-Coburg-Kohary line, which intermarried with many royals and actually ruled in Bulgaria.

My question is how was this marriage NOT considered morganatic by the Coburgs and others? Princess Maria Antonia was NOT from a family that had ever ruled anywhere. Her father was just a very wealthy Hungarian Count prominent in Austrian politics (Prime Minister for a while) who was given "princely" rank around the time of this marriage. (Maybe to facilitate the marriage?) Even so, no one would say that Otto von Bismarck's children were ebenburtig with ruling houses, despite his elevation to princely rank, so why was THIS marriage accepted? Just b/c the Koharys were so rich and Maria Antonia was the heiress to this huge estate?

Well,it just depends on what kind of rules this House had...for example,Lippe family had rules where many nobles were treated equal if the Head of the House gives his approval while Reuss family had rules that "no marriage with mediatized family should be denied" while some other Houses were more strict about this and some less!

For example,Countess Bertha Kinsky(later Baroness von Suttner) was a full member of mediatized House despite the fact that her mother was JUST from an untitled nobility and as such could be considered equal among Houses who just consider recognized membership as enough,but could not be considered equal by Houses who along with full membership search for minimum 8 "equal" grandparents...

No,they are not the same family in male line...not even distantly related in male line like for example former Duke of Cadaval and his daughters husband Duke of Anjou...both belong to the House of Capet.

That is not the case with Princes and Barons zu Fürstenberg...

Thanks for the explanation.

Even so it would be nice to have a photo of Pr. Johannes Heinrich and his family - wives, children.

Can someone post any photos of Johannes Heinrich and his family, please ?

He married 2ndly Pss Mathuilde of Saxony - 1 son Pr. Johannes Albert who should have become the heir of the Saxony throne if he hadn't died from a mountain fall in 1987.

JSP

Here we go...

Johannes Heinrich, with his second wife, and with his second wife and their son

Daughter Felizitas with her mother Gabriele, Felizitas' wedding 1 and Felizitas' wedding 2

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the pictures, which I had never seen before.

It did close a gap on my Saxe-Coburg file.

I was a bit surprised to read "Felizitas' wedding 1 and Felizitas' wedding 2".

I wondered if she had been twice married :ermm: .

But the two photos are of course from her only wedding wedding.

No, Felicitas married only once, in 1987 to Sergei Trotzky; both the pictures were taken on that occasion.

Back
Top Bottom