Death & Funeral of Prince Henri, Count of Paris - 21 Jan. / 2 Feb. 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Apparently today's copy of Point de Vue has an eighteen page record of the Count's death including a genealogical chart:

"Point de Vue" consacre sa "Une" au décès du comte de Paris - Noblesse & Royautés
You have to pass away for having the front page of Point de Vue. His last frontpage was his wedding
Point de Vue usually has excellent issues when a major royal passes away. I remember the one they published when the previous Countess of Paris (to me, the real one) passed away. An old French lady I befriended had that issue together with a postcard of Edith Piaf on her bedside table. When I asked her about them she said "Ils sont les reines de mon coeur" (they are the queens of my heart).

Point de Vue usually has excellent issues when a major royal passes away. I remember the one they published when the previous Countess of Paris (to me, the real one) passed away. An old French lady I befriended had that issue together with a postcard of Edith Piaf on her bedside table. When I asked her about them she said "Ils sont les reines de mon coeur" (they are the queens of my heart).

What a wonderful story, thank you for sharing. And your friend was right; both queens in their own ways. And indeed, the only countess of Paris for me too ;).

I am sure that the Henri (fils) made it to the cover of PdV when the annulment of the marriage was discussed a decade or so ago, it caused quite some consternation in (French) royalty circles.

What are the virtues of the first spouse, the second spouse seems to lack? Posters here claiming that the first one remains "the real one" feels like an undeserved insult to the douairière.

Posters were referring to the mother of the deceased, Princess Isabelle of Orleans-Bragança, who was known as the countess of Paris for 72 years - which is a very long time. Not to Henri (fils) first wife the Duchess of Montpensier, who never held such a title :flowers:.

Last edited:
What are the virtues of the first spouse, the second spouse seems to lack? Posters here claiming that the first one remains "the real one" feels like an undeserved insult to the douairière.
Posters were referring to the mother of the deceased, Princess Isabelle of Orleans-Bragança, who was known as the countess of Paris for 72 years - which is a very long time. Not to Henri (fils) first wife the Duchess of Montpensier, who never held such a title :flowers:.
Yes, sorry. I meant of course Princess Isabelle not any her daughter-in-laws.

I stand corrected, I was indeed thinking about Marie-Thérèse von Württemberg and Micaela Cousiño y Quiñones de León.

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
The public can gather today and until Friday, in the royal chapel Saint-Louis, in Dreux, to pay tribute to Monsignor the Count of Paris.

Prince Jean de France - Chapelle Ardente

That looks extremely sober, I must say. For an example, look at how Charles-Hugues de Bourbon de Parme was laid in state (in a pavillion in the park of Noordeinde Palace in The Hague): http://www.nd.nl/Uploads/Import/Images/29/64/04/6b/5_2963fff925b50dbf4ef0095fe63e4d72942c303b.jpg

Not even a drapeau with the fleur-de-lys over his coffin. But maybe that was the wish of the late Prince Henri?

Last edited:
I agree but He died unexpectly , he was ready to go at the King Louis XVI Mass. So he did wish something before ?
I read that the same day the Comtesse de Paris had healthy problems and therefore the Funerals were planned on February 2nd. But it seems she is to frail to attend ?

The Comte de Paris wore some Decorations but I don't know which one. As at the beginning of his marrried life he was in the french Army , perhaps he had the Legion d' Honneur.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree but He died unexpectly , he was ready to go at the King Louis XVI Mass. So he did wish something before ?
I read that the same day the Comtesse de Paris had healthy problems and therefore the Funerals were planned on February 2nd. But it seems she is to frail to attend ?
From what I read on the very day of her husband's death she had to enter hospital….she has bad health….

No standard on his coffin or any decorations/orders/medals?

No standard on his coffin or any decorations/orders/medals?

The late Duke of Parma was laid in great state, as can be seen a few posts earlier. But he was dressed in a simple monk's robe, to his own wishes. A royal lying-in-state ending in a sober interment. So the arrangement can change. Maybe for Henri a sober lying-in-state but ending in a royal funeral? We will see.

Last edited:
How sad. ..she must be really ill to have to miss the funeral of her own husband.:sad:

The Duchess of Montpensier was ill for her Son Jean's Wedding
The Comtesse de Paris is ill for her husband's Funerals.
That is life !

Prince Gaston and his family around the Count of Paris's coffin:

http://www.noblesseetroyautes.com/lhommage-du-prince-gaston-a-son-grand-pere-le-comte-de-paris/

A lovely anecdote. I was reading an article about the Count's death in the British Telegraph today (yep, he piqued interest across the channel too!) and Henri reportedly said that he thinks the French are monarchists at heart but republicans for practicality, and I do agree with him. Each time I visit France (and since my mother used to live in Paris we visit the country every other year - in March we're due to go to Occitanie), I'm always surprised at how many royal based magazines there are on the shelves in the newsagents and shops at the airport/train stations, and how many French language magazines feature royals in their articles or on their front covers. The magazines are always gushing about the royals, even their own pretenders sometimes, that I would love to see a poll on monarchist statistics in France!

Last edited:
Last edited:
:ohmy: -- Hopefully not !!!!

I was also quite surprised but the picture showed him in front of the coffin, not inside :mellow:

(Prepositions in another language are typically one of the harder things to apply corectly)

Who are sitting on the 2 seats next to the Comte and Comtesse de Paris :princesses Marie and Banche ?

There seems to be a gentleman of the first row with a fez, perhaps a Moroccan prince. The couple that is outside standing behind Q. Sofia seems to be her cousin Pss Tatiana Radziwill and husband.

I did not see the dowager duchess of Calabria.

Nobody from Belgium or Luxembourg.

Last edited:
There seems to be a gentleman of the first row with a fez, perhaps a Moroccan prince. The couple that is outside standing behind Q. Sofia seems to be her cousin Pss Tatiana Radziwill and husband.

I did not see the dowager duchess of Calabria.

Nobody from Belgium or Luxembourg.

I am surprised there are no representatives from the Royal House of Belgium considering that members of that House descend in maternal line from the House of Orléans.

I might've seen Prince Mohamed Ali of Egypt, but I'm not sure.

There seems to be a gentleman of the first row with a fez, perhaps a Moroccan prince.

The Crown Prince of Morocco attends. Thee was a pic of him on Twitter somewhere.

Prince Albert II of Monaco attending solo again,I thought Infanta Pilar of Spain or the Dowager Duchess of Calabria might attend.

Back
Top Bottom