Catherine de Medici (1519-1589), Queen Consort of Henri II

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
January 5th,1589 -Death of Catherine de Médicis at the Royal Chateau de Blois in France.

Was she a witch ? there is lots of evidence that
she was heavily into witchcraft and the occult.

Did her ancestry go back to Spain ?
The Spaniards dominated much of Italy for a while,
just as they also ruled in Holland
and .... after the execution of Mary Queen of Scots
they determined to take over that Protestant upstart England and a year after her execution they sailed off on the Spanish Armada .

Wasnt the Sun King Louis 14th of Spanish ancestry too ?

His mother Anne d'Autriche and his grandmother on his father's side Marie de Medici were both descendents of Ferdinand and Isabella of Spain via the Philip of Austria/Habsburg-Juana of Aragon and Castile-marriage.

It was quite common with interest in the occult in the 16th century, queen Elizabeth of England was also interested in the occult, John Dee was one of her consultants, so that an interest in occult matters then didn't make anyone a witch.

As far as I know the Medici family (father) is of genuinely Italian origin and the House of La Tour D'Auvergne (mother) French, so no direct ties to Spain.

The Spaniards dominated much of Italy for a while,
just as they also ruled in Holland
and .... after the execution of Mary Queen of Scots
they determined to take over that Protestant upstart England and a year after her execution they sailed off on the Spanish Armada .

Catherine wasn't a 'witch' in my opinion but was deeply interested in the occult,her patronage of the seer,Michel de Nostradamus is well documented.

Her paternal ancestry was from the Medici Family & the Italian nobility.Her maternal ancestry was French,her mother was related to the then Ducal House of Bourbon.

To the best of my knowledge Catherine had no Spanish ancestry,her daughter Elisabéth de Valois did marry Philip II of Spain in 1559.

?

The Medici's are Florentine-Family - not Spanish.

As there are no such things witches in the world .. of course she wasn't one :lol:.

And even in the eyes of her time she wasn't one. Being interestet in the occult was then very 'fashanable' look at Lady Di - also she took astrologist in her confidenz and trust ... so was she a witch too by your reconing?

Very interesting! I agree that she had a very hard life, especially childhood, and it's very sad that she pretty much outlived her sons. Her bashing of her daughter is a bit much for me, although I do think Margaret was out of control.

If I recall correctly, didn't Catherine call on Nostradamus a lot?

Very interesting! I agree that she had a very hard life, especially childhood, and it's very sad that she pretty much outlived her sons. Her bashing of her daughter is a bit much for me, although I do think Margaret was out of control.

If I recall correctly, didn't Catherine call on Nostradamus a lot?

Nostradamus owes much of his fame to Queen Catherine,he was consulted by the Queen in 1555 & several other occasions . When Catherine (now Queen-Regent) & her son Charles IX toured France in 1566 they paid a visit to him at Salon in Provence,he died a few moths later.Catherine also appointed Nostradamus as the King's Counselor and Physician-in-Ordinary to her son,Charles IX.

Catherine may not have been a witch, but I remember viewing the room in which she kept her poisons at Amboise.

Makes you wonder why anyone would keep a cabinet full of poisons...if she didn't mean to use them?

Catherine may not have been a witch, but I remember viewing the room in which she kept her poisons at Amboise.

Makes you wonder why anyone would keep a cabinet full of poisons...if she didn't mean to use them?

The supposed poison cabinets of Catherine de Médicis at the Chateau d'Amboise are more or less for the benefit of tourists. Most of the original furniture at the chateau was lost during the revolution & the chateau was left almost a ruin.The chateau was later restored & refurbished & the poison cabinets added.

However I don't doubt that Catherine was adept in the arts of alchemy & may have poisoned a few of her opponents (Odet de Coligny ,Cardinal de Châtillon)

To my knowledge there is no Cabinet des Poisons at AMBOISE, but there is one room, behind the chapel in the chateau de BLOIS with many secret boxes called " chambre des secrets ".

Last edited by a moderator:
To my knowledge there is no Cabinet des Poisons at AMBOISE, but there is one room, behind the chapel in the chateau de BLOIS with many secret boxes called " chambre des secrets ".

Correct it is indeed the Château de Blois.

Right, it was Blois!

All those chateaux blur together after awhile. :lol:

Blois was also where Catherine died in 1589 & was initially buried at the now destroyed Collegiate church of Saint-Sauveur de Blois.

I'm sure, she wasn't worse then men in power of her time; but men are in favour of painting any women black who is bold enought to go for power as well and to contest them. And a lot of other women are happy to join in.

Nothing changed so far.

That's true Nice Nofret.Ivan the Terrible lived at the same time as Catherine :D

What is remarkable about that period is the number of Female Rulers & Regents

England : Mary I & Elizabeth I
France : Catherine de Médicis.
Navarre: Jeanne III
The low Countries : Mary of Hungary & Margaret of Austria (Regents)
Scotland : Marie de Guise & Mary I,Queen of Scots.

That's true Nice Nofret.Ivan the Terrible lived at the same time as Catherine...
Plus Süleyman I. favorite wife and mother of his heirs, Roxelana Hürrem Sultan, reigned instead of her husband when he was away, supported by the Grand Vizier, who was married to her and Süleyman's daughter, who acted officially as the Vice-Sultan, but was absolutely loyal to his mother-in-law, who was the most important advisor of her husband. She died in 1558.

I didn't know too much about her but thanks I looked her up!

quote by Nice

The Medici's are a Florentine-Family - not Spanish.

end quote

The Borgias were Spanish were nt they ? Pope Roderigo etc
By the end of the 1400s the Spanish and the French were fighting over the dominance of Italy

Was nt it a free for all between the French armies and the armies of the Holy Roman Empire ?

The Holy Roman Empire were not directly involved at first but they later joined the Holy League to thwart the powerful French.

Were nt the Spaniards controling Holland too, back then ?

:previous:
The Spanish were actually Habsburgs then.

Catherine de Medici's illegitimate son?

I just finished reading "The Moon Mistress - Diane de Poitiers" by Jehanne D'Orliac this afternoon. On the third-to-last page is the following paragraph:

"In the Echo de Paris of July 21, 1924, it was related that before the tribunal of Mons, Antoine de Medicis, domiciled in Belgium, laid claim to his authentic patent of nobility as descendant of Philippe de Medicis, a natural son of Catherine, born at the castle of Guardasone in Italy, in 1560, that is to say a year after the death of Henri II. He won his case. It is a curious piece of information and deserves to be noted. Time has its tides like the sea, and throws up the flotsam of the past, most strange witnesses to causes in dispute."

I have never heard of another account of this alleged natural son of Catherine's. Has anyone else?

Thank you,
Sally

I've never heard about an illegitimate son of Catherine and I can't think that she would have wanted to leave France for Italy, or having the time for that, during the year 1560 as her son Francis was only 15 years old and she wouldn't have wanted him to be on his own, ruled by the Guise family.

I just finished reading "The Moon Mistress - Diane de Poitiers" by Jehanne D'Orliac this afternoon. On the third-to-last page is the following paragraph:

"In the Echo de Paris of July 21, 1924, it was related that before the tribunal of Mons, Antoine de Medicis, domiciled in Belgium, laid claim to his authentic patent of nobility as descendant of Philippe de Medicis, a natural son of Catherine, born at the castle of Guardasone in Italy, in 1560, that is to say a year after the death of Henri II. He won his case. It is a curious piece of information and deserves to be noted. Time has its tides like the sea, and throws up the flotsam of the past, most strange witnesses to causes in dispute."

I have never heard of another account of this alleged natural son of Catherine's. Has anyone else?

Thank you,
Sally

Catherine was 41 in 1560 and to the best of my knowledge never left France during her various regencies.Given all that has been written about Catherine during her life time and afterwards,this is a new one!

After the very difficult birth of Catherine's last children,the twin daughters,Jeanne and Victoria de Valois it was decided that Catherine would have no more children and that was in 1556.

Perhaps he was an illegitimate Medici child but I seriously doubt he the natural son of the French Queen Regent.

Back
Top Bottom