Prince Maximilian (1969- ), Princess Angela (1958- ) and Family 2: May 2007-

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Warren

Administrator in Memoriam
City
Sydney
Country
Australia
Liechtenstein.gif

Welcome to Prince Maximilian and Princess Angela part 2, commencing May 2007

Part 1, covering the period July 2005 to May 2007, can be found here.​

Last edited:
Nothing current but found an old interview with the Princely Head of State from what has to be 1998/9. From the statement below he's definitely speaking of Prince Max. We know today that Max had reason enough to love America.:wub: :flowers: ;)

Do you have any particular interest in developing relations with America? Personally I have economic ties to America; our family has a company there and I have many friends there. I visit at least twice a year. My son has just graduated from Harvard Business School (in June). He also loves it there.

Rest of article was all business but still interesting. Read on:

A Special Advertising Section on Liechtenstein

kerry said:
Nothing current but found an old interview with the Princely Head of State from what has to be 1998/9. From the statement below he's definitely speaking of Prince Max. We know today that Max had reason enough to love America.:wub: :flowers: ;)

Do you have any particular interest in developing relations with America? Personally I have economic ties to America; our family has a company there and I have many friends there. I visit at least twice a year. My son has just graduated from Harvard Business School (in June). He also loves it there.

Rest of article was all business but still interesting. Read on:

A Special Advertising Section on Liechtenstein

Thanks for posting. I believe Constantin and Marie live in Manhattan as well as Angela's family, so the Princely couple have many family ties to the US indeed. I wonder if they ever made an official state's visit to the US? They don't have an embassy here, but they are represented at the UN. It's interesting that they can slip into and out of the US and no one is the wiser. They have MASTERED the art of privacy.

I commend them for that. I don't remember an official visit but if one did take place it could've been before I was hip to this family. I do remember reading about members of the family doing something at Princeton. Can't recall what at the moment but that is in the area. I forgot about Constantin and Marie being in New York.

Most Americans wouldn't recognize anyone outside of the BRF and not many of them to be totally honest. If the fürst walked through JFK airport, entourage in tow, he would probably be pegged for a wealthly businessman. (Something tells me he travels via private plane. :rolleyes:) If I were in those shoes I would probably want it the same way; anonymity at its best. ;)

Love the avatar!:flowers:

Birthday Greetings

Happy Birthday to 1/2 of our favorite couple. Prince Max turned 38 years old today. :flowers:

What do you get a rich prince for his birthday? Something practical I would think.

kerry said:
Happy Birthday to 1/2 of our favorite couple. Prince Max turned 38 years old today. :flowers:

What do you get a rich prince for his birthday? Something practical I would think.

Very good question. I think something thoughful that touches the heart rather than just an expensive gift.

Happy Birthday Max!

Eh..You are a day ahead. The Prince was born on May 16th. ;)

May is quite a hectic month for Hans-Adam. His son (Prince Max) and 4 of his grandchildren all have birthdays in May. Hopefully he's got the right birthdate matched to the right person.:cool:

Oops! Alisa, that means that TRF calender is wrong.:ohmy: Can I wish him a b-day in advance then?:D

Yes it appears TRF calendar is incorrect. It also lists Princess Máxima's birthday as the 16th when she was infact born on May 17th.:ermm:

According to Wikipedia, Alfons' birthday is 18th but its listed on the forum as the 17th. Oops again!

I guess I can rightfully wish the prince a happy 38th!:lol:

:news: Happy Birthday to Alfons! The dapper little prince celebrates his 6th.:fireworks:

Wow, Kerry, you went all out with the fireworks :lol: I love it!

Happy Birthday little Alfons. :wub:

Well, I figured why not since the prince deserved a b-day shout out from TRF. Who else is going to post it besides one of us?

Hope Alfons is able to celebrate with his cousins as well. Can't wait to see how much he's grown come National Day.

I'm 5 days late with my birthday wishes for Prinz Alfons, but

:flowers: Happy 6th Birthday Alfons!! :liechtensteinflag:

:fireworks:

Are there any new of pictures of Max, Angela or Alfons?...
BurberryBrit, who is in your avatar, is it princess Angela?

Yes, it's Princess Angela attending the ball for Dutchess Fleur's wedding. A very rare photo where we see Angela is gala eveningwear.

Shame we don't get to see many photos of the princess since she is a beauty. One of Max's cousins is getting married soon and hopefully we'll get to see some.

oh my gosh, I've just realized I'd never seen Angela's pic in ball gown. I guess there must be some...That family is so private, there is almost no pics of them.

Princess Angela is a Beautiful, and Intelligent Princess Who Should be Acknowledged

I live in the United States; and I am also an African-American woman. I have for many years been fascinated with the Royal Families in Europe. Through my readings of publications(ie..Royalty and Majesty magazines), and bios of various royals; I have noticed that all of them that have been featured were white. Other than the recognition of the former Princess Alexandra of Denmark(now Countess of Fredericksburg) who is half-asian(from Hong Kong); I am quite disappointed that very few articles have featured the Princess Angela of Liechtenstein..who is black. She was born in Panama in 1958 but was raised and educated in New York City. She later became a successful fashion designer before her marriage to Prince Maximillian of Liechtenstein in January 2000.

Through its many pagentries and lavish fanfaire as royal weddings have been known for; I immediately noticed no such recognition for this particular couple on the day of THEIR wedding. Princess Angela becoming the first black princess in a reigning European dynasty; is quite remarkable and I was completely disappointed that this princess has received no recognition. To be honest, I cannot help but to believe that her race is a factor. I sincerely hope that something may be changed and IMPROVED on that regard; by having more stories featured of her. Princess Angela is a very beautiful, educated, and remarkable woman who truly deserves her recognition as the other European royals.

I had never heard about Princess Angela of Liechtenstein before I came to The Royal Forums. I still don't know that much about her, but I do agree that she is a beautiful woman. Was the wedding a cause for controversy, since she was of African descent? I have seen a picture of their son, and he is very cute and clearly loved. However, the reason, at least in America, that we never hear about her is not because she is an African-American, but because not many people hear about Liechtenstein. It's very small, and I believe that it is a principality, like Monaco, but we hear about Monaco all the time because Grace Kelly moved there, and her children cause way too many scandals. I never knew Liechtenstein as a country even existed before coming to THF. And if she is just a regular loving wife and mother as well as a good princess, we also may never hear from her becuase she doesn't cause scandal. I will enjoy learning more about her as time goes on.

Countessa1 said:
I live in the United States; and I am also an African-American woman. I have for many years been fascinated with the Royal Families in Europe. .
Hello,

Welcome to the forum. I don't know if this will be moved since Angela already has a thread. But I think you make valid points. It was shocking to me at first that Angela did not receive as much attention as say Grace Kelly when she married a prince IN the US. But the more I learned about my favorite royal family, the more I realized that: 1. Angela is press shy and doesn't think that anyone would be interested in her 2. not many people know about the Princely family in the US and 3. the family is very private. We also don't know much about the other wives such as Princess Astrid (also a commoner) and Princess Marie (Constantine's wife).

I think the press in the US is definitely racially biased, and that has something to do with why there is no coverage of Angela and will probably never be. But part of me wonders if she and Max like it like that. They seem to have a nice life. They are integrated into royal society (as far as I can tell from the few pics I've seen of them at weddings). They are raising a son. My guess is Angela like being unknown. I don't think her race is a factor in Europe at all because I've noticed that Europeans are more open about interracial marriages. And Angela has proven herself to not cause any scandal to the family or disgrace the legacy of Liechtenstein.

Last edited by a moderator:
acdc1 said:
Was the wedding a cause for controversy, since she was of African descent? .
As far as I know, there was NO controversy. Hans-Adam and Marie were at the wedding as were Max's brothers. Angela is a god mother to Tatiana's child. I believe Angela is herself shy so that combined with the fact that she's black makes it seem as if the family is hiding her, which i DO NOT think is the case at all.

Welcome to TRF, Countessa.

Though Princess Angela undoubtably lives up to all the qualifications that you are giving her, I highly doubt that her lack of recognition is due to the fact that she is afro-american. It has more to do that she herself and her husband keep out of the publicity as much as possible and live a rather private life in the US, focussing on their children and their respective carreers.
The size of the pirncipality matters here too, it has only 40.000 inhabitants. The Princely family of Liechtenstein is the largest royal family around, so that gives most of them very little to do with their background. Consequently the European press takes less interest in anything to do with this family then with the other RF. So Angela, Maria and all the other xx(x) princesses of Liechtenstein will only sporadically apear in magazines.

Angela's sister-in-law Princess Marie (born Countess Kanolky) is hardly more visible or recognised then Princess Angela. Why? Because she leads a life away from the press too and like Angela she doesn't perform to many (if any) official duties either.

Hereditairy Princess Sophie (nee Dss in and Pss of Bavaria) is somewhat more 'visible' , as her husband already took over some tasks of the ever-grumpy Prince Hans-Adam.

There was a controversy about the marriage, that is true, just as there was a controversy when Max's sister Tatiana married the untitled German nobleman Philip von Lattorf. This has nothing to do with the colour of Angela's skin, but with the fact that she isn' t a noble or royal by birth.

Some members of the Princely family of Liechtenstein are more visible but that has mainly to do with them visiting certain society parties in Paris. Prince Phillip and Princess Isabelle (brother and sister-in-law) come to mind, as does Princess Barbara of Yougoslavia who was born as a Princess of Liechtenstein. Prince Nicolaus and Princess Margaretha naturally show up at many royal celebrations throughout Europe as she is the sister and daughter of a Grand Duke of Luxembourg. Princess Marie of France, also married to a Liechtenstein Prince also occassionally shows up here and there, though much less often.

Thank you for replying. The responses were very nice and I appreciate that. I guess that you are right about Princess Angela being quiet. I know that she isn't involved in any scandals which is quite refreshing. However, I can't help but to feel the way I do. Princess Angela is a woman with class and it is great to see a woman of African ancestry in a reigning European dynasty. It is unfortunate that interracial marriages have been almost non-existent in the royal families...especially among the well-known. When I first seen a photo of Princess Angela in a copy of Jet Magazine leaving the church with her new husband on her wedding day in 2000; I was completely ''blown away'' because I have never seen that before. Now I know that love was DEFINITELY in the equation for this couple. I am not discounting that. But to see that picture and know that a black woman can marry a prince; brought tears...yes tears to my eyes. I see it as hope for young little black girls that it may someday happen for them. Anyway, it was wonderful to see.

What was even more touching was the obvious acceptance from the Prince's parents and family of this woman. I am sorry, but I can't help but to be amazed.

What I can't understand is that there are now more male royals who have married women who are ''commoners'' and not royal (or noble)by birth; yet are receiving far more recognition and performing the duties as a royal. A particular royal bride(whom I will not name) has had a very unconventional past; yet has become the Crown Princess of a particular Nordic country. So I am sorry, the fact that Princess Angela not being included in royal celebrations because she is not a born royal or born nobility is not a satisfactory answer

Marengo said:
There was a controversy about the marriage, that is true.
This is my first time hearing about this. Can you (or anyone) explain further or point us to sources that can shed some light on that?

Thanks! :flowers:

Last edited:
Countessa1 said:
What I can't understand is that there are now more male royals who have married women who are ''commoners'' and not royal (or noble)by birth; yet are receiving far more recognition and performing the duties as a royal. A particular royal bride(whom I will not name) has had a very unconventional past; yet has become the Crown Princess of a particular Nordic country. So I am sorry, the fact that Princess Angela not being included in royal celebrations because she is not a born royal or born nobility is not a satisfactory answer

I think it also has to do with how she accepts her royal role. The new generation of crown princesses by marriage in Norway, Denmark, the Netherlands, Belgium and Spain are very active with the people and seem to greatly enjoy being in the spotlight and being seen. From what people are saying, Angela is shyer than these other princesses. Also, her husband isn't the first in line to the throne. I looked them both up on Wikipedia, and Prince Max has an older brother, and the older brother has quite a few children of his own. Since she isn't the "crown princess" so to speak, she may not have as many royal duties as she would have had her husband been first in line. From what people are saying of her temperament, she probably doesn't mind being able to live her life with her husband and little boy without having to see it constantly on the news and in magazines.

From her page on Wikipedia, she does sound extremely talented and smart. I thought that it was very interesting how she designed her own wedding dress. How many of these young crown princesses could have that to their credit?:cool:

Back
Top Bottom