General Information and Questions about the Luxembourg Grand Ducal Family

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No it was Astrid I thought about, was just unsure what she was to the GD

Accidentally into the site of the journal Promi, and I had read a few offensive titles about the Luxembourg Royal Family ... an opinion on these titles? I thought the royal family had a good relationship with the press... I also read about a scandalous book (about the royal family)... someone who has read it?

I haven't read the book but I heard that it is purely based on gossip, and no new gossip afaik. They just repeat everything that has been said about the last ten years or so.
Both Promi and Privat (they have even worse headlines) are magazine that shouldn't be taken too seriously, they are yellow press that make headlines up to sell. And they are not just rude towards the Grand Ducal Family, they are rude against most of the famous people living in Luxembourg, quick in pointing out mistakes made by others and sometimes think that they are the most important publication. For example a few weeks ago when the Grand Duke had his angioplasty Promi insisted on the fact that if they hadn't published the protocol of the emergency service, the Court would have never released the info about the angioplasty. I'm sure the Court doesn't feel compelled to release information just because a gossip magazine writes something on their website. I haven't read too much of Promi, but what I know by occasionally reading other yellow press is that there usually isn't much behind a sensational sounding headline :)
The more respected magazines in Luxembourg handle the Grand Ducal Family differently. They just write about some engagements they did and sometimes about possible future wives for Guillaume.

Prince Robert of Luxembourg ?

I am not sure where to post Spletnik - Wine and Theatre
As stated in the entry, Prince Robert of Luxembourg, President of Domaine Clarence Dillon, held a dinner to commemorate the anniversary of acquiring Château Haut-Brion. The event took place on the stage of Maly theatre .
Here is the link containing some facts about Prince Robert Domaine Clarence Dillon

Last edited:
Al_bina said:
I am not sure where to post Spletnik - Wine and Theatre
As stated in the entry, Prince Robert of Luxembourg, President of Domaine Clarence Dillon, held a dinner to commemorate the anniversary of acquiring Château Haut-Brion. The event took place on the stage of Maly theatre .
Here is the link containing some facts about Prince Robert Domaine Clarence Dillon

He's the Grand Duke's first cousin, the son of his late uncle Prince Charles.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Charles_of_Luxembourg
See section 'offspring'.

I'm pretty sure they speak French mostly. All the interviews I've seen with MT have been in French. They may speak Luxembourgish too, but I get the feeling MT isn't as fluent in Luxembourgish as the rest of the family.

They also all speak German and English, and I know that most of the kids (and MT of course) speak Spanish. I've read that most Luxembourgish people never speak German to each other even though they learn it in school. They speak Luxembourgish or French.

it's practical, LOL, you can write with your right-hand and at the same time see the exact time :)

The Grand Duke and His Prime Ministers

Much has been written and discussed about HM Queen Elizabeth II's relationship with her prime ministers. I wonder if anyone can provide some insight into HRH Grand Duke Henri's relationship with his prime ministers. Do they meet regularly? What is the content of those meetings?

And do we know the extent to which the Grand Duke has influence on his prime minister? I think we all obviously know that Queen Elizabeth doesn't exercise any of her constitutional power, but she does have lots of influence with her prime ministers, which has been of much speculation and analysis. Does the Grand Duke hold considerable influence?

Last edited:
Alain Rousseau, the former editor-in-chief of RTL Télé Lëtzebuerg, has formed consultancy firm "Tismo Consulting" and will advise the Grand Ducal Court in communications questions. He quit RTL earlier this year over the "Lunghi affair", a controversial interview between RTL reporter Sophie Schram with the then Mudam director Enrico Lunghi.

Luxemburger Wort - Alain Rousseau arbeitet für den Großherzoglichen Hof

Point de Vue posted their 2014 interview with GD Maria Teresa although it used recent photos. This seemed to be the best thread as it's not exactly current news.

La grande-duchesse de Luxembourg: "J’ai une vie passionnante, pleine de missions et de défis!" - Point de Vue

Summary:
  • Private visits to patients at the end of life. These visits started when she was a student, she'd visit people in a retirement home in Geneva.
  • Design of Mudam and museum works that move her; Luxembourg's art scene
  • Involvement in Burundi and working with Maggy Barankitse; their "Tense Hand Project" has gotten 370 children released from prison.
  • Learning to set precise priorities took a while; for a long time her children were her priority.
  • Forest of Consdorf is a favorite place of relaxation.
  • Deep affection for Queen Sonja of Norway and Queen Silvia of Sweden as fellow commoners marrying into royalty.
  • Contrary to a baseless rumor, GD Charlotte was immediately supportive of her.
  • Disagrees with the cliché that Luxembourg is a tax haven or "a street with banks."
  • Skypes a lot with family. Touched her adult children still want to spend holidays with parents, whether in France, Switzerland or Bavaria.
The discretion that governs your life both public and private invites you to ask what you think of the confusion that sometimes make the media between princes and stars. Does this worry you?
[…] The star system is not the monarchical system. These are two different things and the mix of genres is good for neither. My daughters-in-law know that our family has always tried to keep a certain discretion that is appreciated by our fellow citizens. We must be a reflection of his people and the people of Luxembourg respect our privacy. My daughters-in-law have understood this state of mind which, moreover, corresponds to their nature. They are wonderful, intelligent, creative women. And discreet. They are adorable.”

[...]

What special bond do you have with the Hereditary Grand Duchess who is today in the position that was yours?
I do not think we can dream of a better agreement with a daughter-in-law. Stephanie is bright, balanced, everything is easy with her. She is so mature that I do not need to guide her steps. You know, we are almost like friends, even if she always shows respect towards her mother-in-law but, beyond, there is between us a real tenderness. She asks me for advice whenever she wants. But I like that it is she who asks me questions: I do not want to be invasive.

Suppliers to the court

Cinq fournisseurs de la Cour de Luxembourg - Point de Vue

Bernard-Massard Cellars - supplier for 50+ years, Champagne-style wines, and white wines Domaine Bernard-Massard, Clos des Rochers and Domaine Thill. They are also working with Château les Crostes, Prince Felix and Princess Claire's winery.

Namur: pastry supplier since 1904, created desserts for the GD couple's silver wedding anniversary. The court sends requests every 2 years, alternating with Oberweis.

Oberweis: pastry supplier since 1999, made Guillaume and Stephanie's wedding cake. When the first model was presented, GD Maria Teresa asked to lighten the decor.

Schroeder: jewelry. Revised the Art Deco tiara, created diamond rivière for GD Charlotte; GD Jean asked them to create jewels related to nature for his wife; GD Maria Teresa loves pieces of a certain classicism, she appreciates brilliants a lot. They create insignia for orders, such as the Order of the Oak Crown which they deliver 5 or 6 each year.

Villeroy & Boch: porcelain, created limited edition tableware for the HGD wedding; GD Josephine-Charlotte collected the pieces of 'Vieux Luxembourg'.

Last edited:
Point de Vue
[*]Contrary to a baseless rumor, GD Charlotte was immediately supportive of her
Wasn't it Maria Theresa herself that started those rumours. I've read about a certain press conference a few times - did that really happen?

Wasn't it Maria Theresa herself that started those rumours. I've read about a certain press conference a few times - did that really happen?

That was about her mother-in-law Grand Duchess Joséphine-Charlotte.

Where can I view the monograms and crests of the Grand Ducal Family?

Budget 2018: 10,6 millions d'euros pour la Maison du Grand-Duc | Le Quotidien

In 2018, the state budget will allocate € 10,676,506 to the House of the Grand Duke, which represents precisely € 18.52 per resident over a year. This represents 0.07% of the total state budget.

* EUR 6.2 million for the costs of the staff attached to the office of Head of State;
* nearly 1.2 million for the civil list;
* EUR 1.4 million for the costs of the staff attached to the office of former Head of State;
* 1.2 million euros for the civil list;
* EUR 716 000 for the representation expenses of the Head of State;
* 700 000 euros for running costs and current expenses;
* EUR 244,000 for representation expenses of HRH Grand Duke Jean;
* EUR 106,000 for representation expenses of HRH Hereditary Grand Duke Guillaume.

[…]

Last edited:

The Grand Duke couple supports the solidarity movement "Light it up blue" marking the Autism Awareness Month by having illuminated the facade of the Grand Ducal Palace in blue from March 30th to April 5th:

** monarchie.lu: « Light it up blue » **

Is it true that the Grünewald Forest is owned by the Grand Ducal Family of Luxembourg? Is it true that they also own other forests?

Edited: The forest really belongs to the Grand Ducal Family and is located in the city of Luxembourg.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grünewald_(Luxembourg)

Last edited:
Fake charity using Hereditary Grand Duke Guillaume name to get money. The Palace is taking legal action against the fake charity

Communiqué du Maréchalat de la Cour - Cour Grand-Ducale de Luxembourg - Novembre 2019

"In early November, the Grand Ducal Court was contacted several times about an e-mail circulating in the name of His Royal Highness the Hereditary Grand Duke ,to a Charity Event in Luxembourg in April 2020.

This e-mail comes from a foundation named "Jane Joseph Marie Foundation" (www.jjmfoundation.org), which claims to raise funds for a good cause, in the name of His Royal Highness the Hereditary Grand Duke .

His Royal Highness Prince Guillaume wishes to emphasize that he has no connection with this foundation.
In addition, the Grand-Ducal Court warns against the collection of the funds in question.

The Marshal of the Court will initiate the necessary legal proceedings."

An overview of the languages spoken by the Grand Ducal Family according to their own biographies. They distinguish between fluent and 'good knowledge' - I interpreted that as an 'intermediate' level. As all of them speak 6 languages between them, I've included all 6 languages for each, for easy comparison. For Maria Teresa and Sébastien, it is not included in their biographies.

Henri: Luxembourgish (fluent), French (fluent), German (fluent), English (fluent), Spanish (NOT), Italian (NOT)
Maria Teresa: Luxembourgish (insufficient), French (fluent - most likely), German (not really as far as I know), English (fluent - I suppose), Spanish (fluent/mother tongue), Italian (not - most likely)

Guillaume: Luxembourgish (fluent/mother tongue), French (fluent), German (fluent), English (fluent), Spanish (fluent), Italian (NOT)
Stéphanie: Luxembourgish (fluent), French (fluent/mother tongue), German (fluent), English (fluent), Spanish (NOT), Italian (NOT)

Félix: Luxembourgish (fluent), French (fluent), German (fluent), English (fluent), Spanish (intermediate), Italian (fluent)
Claire: Luxembourgish (NOT), French (fluent), German (fluent/mother tongue), English (fluent), Spanish (NOT), Italian (fluent)

Louis: Luxembourgish (fluent), French (fluent), German (fluent), English (fluent), Spanish (intermediate), Italian (NOT)

Alexandra: Luxembourgish (fluent), French (fluent), German (intermediate), English (fluent), Spanish (fluent), Italian (intermediate)

Sébastien: Luxembourgish (fluent), French (fluent), German (intermediate?), English (fluent), Spanish (intermediate?), Italian (not?)

An overview of the languages spoken by the Grand Ducal Family according to their own biographies. They distinguish between fluent and 'good knowledge' - I interpreted that as an 'intermediate' level. As all of them speak 6 languages between them, I've included all 6 languages for each, for easy comparison. For Maria Teresa and Sébastien, it is not included in their biographies.

Stéphanie: Luxembourgish (fluent), French (fluent/mother tongue), German (fluent), English (fluent), Spanish (NOT), Italian (NOT)
Doesn't Stephanie also have a good knowledge of Russian and/or Dutch?

Doesn't Stephanie also have a good knowledge of Russian and/or Dutch?

She attended a Dutch school as a young child but apparently she lost most of it - probably because she never used it afterwards; I also thought she spoke Russian - but I would assume the court would put it up on their website if she felt she had a reasonable level.

Stephanie studied Russian language and literature so I would assume she knows some Russian even if its not fluent.

She attended a Dutch language school before studying in France so I think it would be fair to again assume that she knows some level of Dutch.

Stephanie studied Russian language and literature so I would assume she knows some Russian even if its not fluent.

She attended a Dutch language school before studying in France so I think it would be fair to again assume that she knows some level of Dutch.

The question remains: why does the court itself not include it as a languages she speaks either 'courammente' or 'at a reasonable level' (they used various descriptions: "He has also studied Spanish" (for Félix), "He also has an extensive knowledge of Spanish" (for Louis) and "She also has a good knowledge of German and Italian" (for Alexandra)? It seems most likely that Stéphanie herself thinks that her level isn't good enough to be mentioned...

And, while I would suppose she retained quite a bit of her Russian, it could very well be that she 'lost' most of her Dutch after not using it for several decades. If she would decide to study it again, she most likely would pick it up rather quickly but it is possible to loose a language completely (even if you spoke it fluently - as some people who were adopted can attest to).

Last edited:
An overview of the languages spoken by the Grand Ducal Family according to their own biographies.

Does this mean, that nobody speaks a bit Portuguise?

Luxembourg has a lot of immigrants from Portugal. So, I thought... perhaps a bit... And Spanish might not be as different as it sounds.

The question remains: why does the court itself not include it as a languages she speaks either 'courammente' or 'at a reasonable level' (they used various descriptions: "He has also studied Spanish" (for Félix), "He also has an extensive knowledge of Spanish" (for Louis) and "She also has a good knowledge of German and Italian" (for Alexandra)? It seems most likely that Stéphanie herself thinks that her level isn't good enough to be mentioned...

And, while I would suppose she retained quite a bit of her Russian, it could very well be that she 'lost' most of her Dutch after not using it for several decades. If she would decide to study it again, she most likely would pick it up rather quickly but it is possible to loose a language completely (even if you spoke it fluently - as some people who were adopted can attest to).

Stéphanie is fluent in German and in English. She grew up in Belgium and, although she is a native Francophone, she briefly attended a Dutch-speaking school, if I am not mistaken, and, in any case, she definitely had previous exposure to Dutch as it is inevitable in contemporary Belgium.

Considering that she learned Luxembourgish (Middle Franconian) in a short period of time (bulding on her knowledge probably of High German), I would say picking up fluency in Dutch (Low Franconian) would be a breeze for her, even though Dutch is more akin to Low German (like Low Saxon) than High German or Luxembourgish.

Does this mean, that nobody speaks a bit Portuguise?

Luxembourg has a lot of immigrants from Portugal. So, I thought... perhaps a bit... And Spanish might not be as different as it sounds.

Spanish and Portuguese are very similar in writing, grammar and vocabulary although Portuguese has a more complicated spelling and a much more complex phonology, chiefly because it has far more vowel phonemes and diphtongs than Spanish. They are generally mutually intelligible, but, perhaps because of the differences in pronunciation, it is often claimed that Spanish speakers have more difficulty to understand Portuguese than vice-versa (similar to what happens with Swedish and Danish perhaps in the case of the Germanic languages). Reading standard written Portuguese should be straightforward for a Spanish speaker.

King Felipe VI for example claims to speak Portuguese and has used it occasionally at state banquets where the Portuguese president was present. His Spanish accent is very heavy though when speaking Portuguese and he only limited himself to a few pre-prepared lines, which makes me doubt how proficient he is. His Catalan is even worse, I think, even though he was the Prince of Girona before becoming the King of Spain. Princess Leonor appears to be being groomed to speak Catalan much better than her father and it would make sense for her to learn Portuguese too, although I think she prefers to concentrate on major international languages like English and Mandarin instead.

Princess Leonor appears to be being groomed to speak Catalan much better than her father and it would make sense for her to learn Portuguese too, although I think she prefers to concentrate on major international languages like English and Mandarin instead.
Off topic but it seems fitting to point out that one of the most prominent co-official languages of Spain is the Portuguese sister language/dialect (depending of who you ask) Galician spoken by over two million people so it wouldn't be wrong for them to demand that Leonore has at least some knowledge of that language.

Back
Top Bottom