Japanese Palaces Castles Mansions & Houses

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for sharing the information and photos!
The lace-like fruit bowl is a superb piece of craftsmanship. The German statuette is equally impressive.

What beautiful buildings and architecture! Does anyone know what parts of the Imperial Palace are open to tourists?

All I know is that the main one is the imperial palace of japan where they are always at and it's the one surrounded by a moat and there is also akasaka but is now used as a state guest house and the palace if crown prince naruhito, but there are others just no longer in use. There are also tons if castles like himeji and Osaka where their ancestors use to live or built.

I just love the akasaka palace, I just don't understand why use it now as a guest house, I mean president Obama stays them when he visits( luckyyyyyyy). ;)

Processions of horse-drawn carriages at the Ceremony of the Presentation of Credentials on November 29th, 2011.
Ceremonial horse-drawn carriages welcome newly appointed ambassadors to Japan and convey them from the Meiji Seimei Kan Building to the Imperial Palace South Porch. Only a few countries worldwide, among them the United Kingdom and Spain, use horse-drawn carriages to welcome newly appointed ambassadors. In Japan, many ambassadors express a preference for the carriages over a conventional motorcade, attesting to the success of the ceremony in promoting international goodwill.
The ceremonial carriages used to welcome ambassadors are drawn by two horses and known as zagyoshiki. Most were manufactured from the end of the Meiji period to the beginning of the Showa period and have artistic value.
Processions of horse-drawn carriages are also used in Imperial Household ceremonies such as the accession of the Emperor to the throne and weddings of members of the Imperial Family.

Procession of horse-drawn carriages at the Ceremony of the Presentation of Credentials - The Imperial Household Agency

Visit of the General Public to the Palace for His Majesty's Birthday - The Imperial Household Agency
Appearances:
Their Majesties the Emperor and Empress, Their Imperial Highnesses the Crown Prince and Crown Princess, Their Imperial Highnesses Prince and Princess Akishino and Princess Mako.

Visit of the General Public to the Palace for the New Year Greeting - The Imperial Household Agency
Appearances:
First and Second: Their Majesties the Emperor and Empress, Their Imperial Highnesses the Crown Prince and Crown Princess, and other adult members of the Imperial Family.
Third Appearance onwards: Their Majesties the Emperor and Empress, Their Imperial Highnesses the Crown Prince and Crown Princess, Their Imperial Highnesses Prince and Princess Akishino and Princess Mako.

The Kyoto Imperial palace spring open days 2012
The Kyoto Imperial Palace will open its doors to the public as follows. (During the period, no in-advance applications are required. Admission is free).

• (1) Period of opening: 5 days from Wednesday April 4th through until Sunday April 8th.
  • (2) Hours of opening: From 9:00 A.M. through until 3:30 P.M. (Visitors are requested to leave by 4:15 P.M.)
  • (3) Visitors are requested to go in by the Gishumon Gate and go out by the Seishomon Gate.
  • (4) For the preparation and the cleanup, the regular Imperial Palace tours on Tuesday April 3rd and Monday April 9th will be suspended.

Rules for joggers round Tokyo's Imperial Palace - Telegraph
Tokyo officials are compiling a series of rules to deal with a surge in the number of joggers exercising along the fringes of the Imperial Palace.
[...]
Joggers along the route can take in views of the famous cherry trees of Chidorigafuchi, the picturesque northeastern moat of the palace, as well as the National Museum of Modern Art, parliamentary buildings and a distant Tokyo Tower.

However, more than 100 complaints have reportedly been received by police from pedestrians who claim to have been knocked by passing joggers, according to NHK reports.

The complaints combined with the growing popularity of the route have prompted the authorities in Tokyo to organise a series of meetings to discuss rules and guidelines to impose in order to ensure safety while jogging around the Imperial Palace.

Japanese man swims palace moat 'to meet emperor' - Emirates 24/7
A Japanese man who was arrested early Sunday inside the Imperial Palace grounds in Tokyo wearing only his underwear told police he swam across the moat to meet the emperor.
The man, in his 30s, did not seemed to have a clear political motive, said a duty officer at the Imperial Guard Headquarters.
"At the time of his arrest, around 4:34 am, he said 'I came to see the emperor. I swam'," the officer said.

Man swam moat to see emperor | thetelegraph.com.au

Underwear man swims across Tokyo palace moat - ABC Newcastle NSW - Australian Broadcasting Corporation

Former residense of one of the minor branches of the Imperial family, the Kitashirakawa Princes, is rebuilt into a hotel nowadays.

**Pic**

I'm having difficulty finding photos of the palace areas where the Imperial Family reside. I don't mean private areas like bedrooms/bathrooms, but rather offices, guest rooms, hallways, etc.

I am hoping to see what the decor looks like, and personal touches instead of the grand state/meeting rooms. Does anybody have any photos or links they can share?

Thanks in advance :flowers:

The Imperial Palace

I thought you'd enjoy seeing some pictures I took of the Imperial Palace and its grounds taken during my last visit :flowers:

- pictures of the gates of the palace
- it surprised me to see that they have their own gas pumps inside the palace! (looked like they were functional)

Attachments

• IMG_8106.jpg
    IMG_8106.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 338
  • IMG_8111.jpg
    IMG_8111.jpg
    217.6 KB · Views: 404
  • IMG_8112.jpg
    IMG_8112.jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 401
  • IMG_8116.jpg
    IMG_8116.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 386
Last edited:
- gardens
- the imperial household agency building, the top floor served as palace for the imperial family whilst the current one was being constructed
- the palace has its own police
- you will recognise the final photo as it is is the hall where new year greetings are received by the family

Attachments

• IMG_8121.jpg
    IMG_8121.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 252
  • IMG_8122.jpg
    IMG_8122.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_8125.jpg
    IMG_8125.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 246
  • IMG_8129.jpg
    IMG_8129.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 260
- the army of housekeepers that keep the gardens looking nice!
- beautiful lamp posts and gate at nijubashi gate
- the view of downtown tokyo
- the entrance for state visits and formal dinners

Attachments

• IMG_8137.jpg
    IMG_8137.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 249
  • IMG_8146.jpg
    IMG_8146.jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_8149.jpg
    IMG_8149.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 292
  • IMG_8151.jpg
    IMG_8151.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 293
the gardens and moat...

Attachments

• IMG_8152.jpg
    IMG_8152.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 250
  • IMG_8156.jpg
    IMG_8156.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 258
  • IMG_8158.jpg
    IMG_8158.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_8159.jpg
    IMG_8159.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 289
The free Audio Guide app. for the Imperial Palaces
The free [iOS] Audio Guide app. for the following institutions is available on the site below. The content is in 6 languages, namely, Japanese, English, Chinese, Korean, French and Spanish.
  • The Imperial Palace
  • The East Gardens of the Imperial Palace
  • The Kyoto Imperial Palace
Android version will be available soon.

Yoshihiko Nishimura, deputy chief of the Imperial Household Agency, said the agency is considering charging a fee for Katsura Imperial Villa. It received recommendations from the LDP administration the villa should be improved for tourism. Nishimura reports the villa needs money to restore and maintain which is why a fee is being considered.

Source: Sankei

A manager of the Imperial Household Agency Stock Farm in Takanezawa, Tochigi prefecture was arrested on suspicion of violating firearms law. The investigation found 3 illegal shotguns at the home of Jun Mitsui (59) in Yaita. Live ammunition was not found. The IHA stock farm breeds livestock and produces agricultural products for the Imperial family and diplomatic ties.

Source: NHK

1,300-year-old imperial kitchen likely found in Nara: The Asahi Shimbun
The remains of a huge kitchen dating to the latter half of the Nara Period (710-784) have apparently been unearthed here.

The ruins of a massive well and other structures were discovered on the grounds where the Heijo Imperial Palace, a designated special historic site, formerly stood, [...]

As the discovery site is part of the Toin district that was home to the crown prince’s residence and other important buildings, historians said the newly discovered facility was likely used to cook for the upper crust at imperial banquets.

The well was surrounded by a 4-meter-square building frame placed at the center of a square-shaped area measuring 9.5 meters east to west and 9 meters north to south.

The size of the structure is comparable to one found at the former site of the emperor’s residence at the Heijo Imperial Palace.

While remains of a building equipped with an eave measuring more than 18 meters east to west and 9 meters north to south were also unearthed just west of the well, a 1-meter-wide, 60-centimeter-deep groove connecting the building and the well was also discovered.

The groove branches off and extends to the inside of the building. A lot of tableware, cooking utensils, containers and other types of earthenware were unearthed in the forked groove.

[...]

Is there any documentary about the Imperial Palace of Japan?

Is there any documentary about the Imperial Palace of Japan?
There was a 1984 NHK documentary on the Imperial Palace in Tokyo. It was re-broadcast following Emperor Showa's death in 1989. The video below is the 1989 version (includes English subtitles) with solemn music due to the mourning period.
NHK documentary on Kyoto Imperial Palace (in English)
https://vimeo.com/166314738

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom