The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal House of Fashion

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-15-2013, 01:58 PM
Aristocracy

Today's outfit is tasteful, appropriate, and....boring. More suited to Camilla or even the Queen herself. Kate looks beautiful, but matronly.

Old 06-15-2013, 02:06 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Christina View Post
Today's outfit is tasteful, appropriate, and....boring. More suited to Camilla or even the Queen herself. Kate looks beautiful, but matronly.
Female members of the BRF are expected to dress tastefully and appropriately for the occasion. Just how would you describe a "non-boring" dress?

Old 06-15-2013, 02:09 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
I'm ready for this whole "pale pastel" trend to be over. It's just my taste, nut I am tired of pale pink, peach, blue...
Old 06-15-2013, 02:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
I'm ready for this whole "pale pastel" trend to be over. It's just my taste, nut I am tired of pale pink, peach, blue...
Dark green, peach, teal, pink, white, b/white, yellow, red, brown, blue.......

you've missed a lot

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 06-15-2013, 02:53 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
Female members of the BRF are expected to dress tastefully and appropriately for the occasion. Just how would you describe a "non-boring" dress?
A bolder colour, something other than baby pink? Some modern details, rather than a mumsy collar and pearl buttons? Perhaps some accessories to add interest? Look at this photo of a pregnant Maxima:

Crown Princess Maxima Of Holland Attends The Prinsjesdag

Maxima and Kate are very different ladies, obviously, but it is possible to dress a pregnant body without being boring.

Here's Mette Marit, in a baby blue shade similar to Kate's baby pink, but with some nice details (lace, a bow) and a better fit:

King Harald Queen Sonja Crown Prince Haakon Crown Princess

As I said previously, Kate does look pretty, but I wish she was wearing clothes that accentuate and celebrate her baby bump, instead of boxy bland coats that hide it.
Old 06-15-2013, 03:05 PM
Heir Apparent

I cannot say I find any clothes to be especially exciting as opposed to boring, especially when it comes to maternity wear, but I do not want to see form fitting clothes on an 8 months pregnant woman. I see absolutely no reason to accentuate the "bump" (awful term). Everyone already knows she is pregnant no need to prove it.
Catherine has in fact worn colours other than pink and white as has already been pointed out.
Old 06-15-2013, 03:05 PM
Heir Presumptive

Some women do not want to show it off and perhaps she wants her pregnancy to be as much about her and William as possible. With that being said the pink dress is unattractive and juvenile, it looks like something 10yr old would wear to church.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 06-15-2013, 03:06 PM
Heir Apparent

Kate is appropriately dressed but nothing special. I dislike the hat.
Old 06-15-2013, 03:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
Some women do not want to show it off and perhaps she wants her pregnancy to be as much about her and William as possible. With that being said the pink dress is unattractive and juvenile, it looks like something 10yr old would wear to church.
LOL, you say she looks juvenile and another poster says she looks matronly like the Duchess of Cornwall. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle which likely means she got it just about right for her age and her station in life.
Old 06-15-2013, 03:13 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
Actually, the coat looks like the adult version of what Lady Louise is wearing, sharing similarities with the color and collar except for the buttons down the front.
Old 06-15-2013, 03:27 PM
Heir Apparent

Right on, Baroness!
Old 06-15-2013, 04:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

It does indeed have a very "juvenile" vibe. This type of colar is frequently seen in kids' clothes.
The old/matronly vibe might come because this type of colar was also common when our grandmothers were young (mine is 80) and is still used by them sometimes, but mainly in shirts.
It has a very vintage vibe and it's becoming more and more popular these days after not being seen for some decades in younger people, just old ones, hence the matronly association for some.
I must say I love it.
Old 06-15-2013, 04:58 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by julliette View Post
It does indeed have a very "juvenile" vibe. This type of colar is frequently seen in kids' clothes.
The old/matronly vibe might come because this type of colar was also common when our grandmothers were young (mine is 80) and is still used by them sometimes, but mainly in shirts.
It has a very vintage vibe and it's becoming more and more popular these days after not being seen for some decades in younger people, just old ones, hence the matronly association for some.
I must say I love it.
So do I. I hate the clingy, obvious I'm pregnant clothes that have been around for awhile. What is wrong with something that is more sedate? Dare I say it, ladylike?

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 06-15-2013, 05:02 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
I cannot say I find any clothes to be especially exciting as opposed to boring, especially when it comes to maternity wear, but I do not want to see form fitting clothes on an 8 months pregnant woman. I see absolutely no reason to accentuate the "bump" (awful term). Everyone already knows she is pregnant no need to prove it.
Catherine has in fact worn colours other than pink and white as has already been pointed out.
I actually do find beautiful, stylish clothes to be exciting! (which is why I am taking an interest in the fashion discussion) You asked me to provide an explanation of what I would like to see Kate wearing, and I gave you two, neither of which was "form fitting," but rather, they fit. And I never said that Kate has only worn pale pink, just that I personally find it to be a bland colour on her.

That being said, this is all my personal opinion and I respect your right to differ with it.
Old 06-15-2013, 05:37 PM
Nobility

I'm just glad that everyone likes different styles. If everyone were to wear the same thing, we may as well be living in "1984" and wear uniforms.
Old 06-15-2013, 05:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think Catherine looks great! Appropriate for the occasion.
Old 06-15-2013, 06:05 PM
Courtier

She looks lovely and classic. The hat is a bit fussy, so I think it was better offset with the simple style coat. As a bespoke item, this was probably ordered sometime ago unaware of her size; it appears to be very forgiving for her last month of pregnancy. It very well could make another appearance in the next month at a wedding.

I appreciate how Kate tries to be more low key on events that focus on HM and the family. The Dalmatian coat Thursday was a bit of a departure for her .... I don't think she would have ever worn something so remarkable at a family event. I do think she does her best to just look appropriate.
Old 06-15-2013, 06:06 PM
Heir Presumptive

Perhaps the other women are all wearing light colors so that the Queen stands out in that vivid royal blue.

I think this is very common in the BRF, so that the center of attention is always the Queen.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
By definition, matronly is her look right now. I also really liked the spotted outfit. She has a classic vibe with her dresses. Very Jackie O/MIL/GMIL.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:08 PM
Courtier

Ladylike, dignified, comfortable.

Tags
duchess of cambridge, duchess of cambridge fashion, duchess of cambridge pregnancy fashion, duchess of cambridge pregnancy style, duchess of cambridge's maternity fashion, kate middleton pregnancy style, kate's fashion, kate's maternity fashion, maternity fashion