The Duchess of Cambridge's Maternity Fashion: December 2012 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Or a burqa which also solves the problem of too short skirts for those who feel young ladies with great legs should not show them in public.
:lol:

Back to maternity wear. I really loved the polka dot dress. I thought it was very appropriate for the event and perfect for spring.

Its just turned and machined. Its only £38 - so no it probably isnt

Im laughing cos I mentioned this earlier and I'm :ROFLMAO: in a circle!

Oh, well, I didn't have time to backtrack over all these pages for the inside scoop. If there was an actual hem on that dress, it could have been modified for some heftier weight and then this whole issue wouldn't have even been addressed. But obviously Mother Nature always has her own agenda in mind, so watch out and be prepared! In her position, Catherine needs to be cognizant of that.

Last edited:
Or a burqa which also solves the problem of too short skirts for those who feel young ladies with great legs should not show them in public.

How odd to deflect on commentary on the mode of dress when on duty as a member of the BRF with "just throw a burqa on her". It seems to suggest that if a woman cannot dress in whatever manner she wants, whenever she wants, she should just have a blanket thrown on her. Suggesting she wear covering undergarments while she represents the BRF does not equate with a burqa in sensible argumentation.

As for the reference to "young ladies" I think that's demeaning as well to Kate. To me that term references a girl coming of age, and not a married mother-to-be in her 30's who is on a high profile public relations tour with her husband who will one day be head of state to the country which she is visiting. Would you refer to Will as a "young man?" These terms denote young adults who have not quite come into their own yet, not people in their 30's.

If Kate did not have "great legs" would it not be appropriate for her to show them in public? If not, why not?

The point is, Kate is not on the beach, or engaged in private activities during these functions. There's a time and a place for everything. I've never seen another member of the BRF with such short hemlines or such issues. In fact , I find it odd that a woman who is somewhat careless about wardrobe malfunctions while on such official duties would complain that photos were taken of her on a beach in Mustique where she was appropriately attired.

Lastly, I'm not sure I'd refer to HM's legs as "gams". I'd show a little more respect to someone who has tirelessly served Britain for 60+ years.

As for the reference to "young ladies" I think that's demeaning as well to Kate. To me that term references a girl coming of age, and not a married mother-to-be in her 30's who is on a high profile public relations tour with her husband who will one day be head of state to the country which she is visiting. Would you refer to Will as a "young man?" These terms denote young adults who have not quite come into their own yet, not people in their 30's.

We will have to agree to disagree. I still consider someone, male or female regardless of marital status, in their 30s young, I certainly considered myself a young man when I was that age. And since when can a woman not also be called a lady?

As for HMs gams, well they are great and I do not think it is disrespectful to say so. As for her service to the nation, well she has been my monarch all my life so I do not need you to advise me on that subject.

As a man I like looking at women who have long shapely legs like Catherine has. If her legs were short and fat, yes I would be less interested in looking at them and would not be upset if they were to be more covered.

The burqa comment was made because some posters go on and on about how a princess should always have hems at least mid knee if not longer everytime Catherine wears a dress that reveals the shocking truth that in fact she actually has knees. This happens no matter if there has been a wardrobe malfunction or not, just the sight of a pair of shapely legs and knees is always good for at least 40 postings.

Last edited:
The point is, Kate is not on the beach, or engaged in private activities during these functions. There's a time and a place for everything. I've never seen another member of the BRF with such short hemlines or such issues. In fact , I find it odd that a woman who is somewhat careless about wardrobe malfunctions while on such official duties would complain that photos were taken of her on a beach in Mustique where she was appropriately attired.

Beatrice, Eugenie, Zara and Autumn all frequently wear above the knee length/short skirts. As for wardrobe malfunctions, the Queen, Fergie, Princess Diana, Beatrice and Eugenie have all had multiple wardrobe malfunctions. So I'm not sure why Kate is singled out.

Their complaints about the Mustique photos had nothing to do with her being in a bikini and everything to do with the fact that they were on a private holiday on a private island.

Last edited:
Thank you all for posting the links and images of all those windy pictures and wardrobe malfunctions, it always gives me a laugh.
Just because her dress is considered too short by some, doesn't mean that it's an age or generational thing or uptight thing. When I say it at least, it has to do with her fashion, her overall look. If things are out of proportion, they look bad.
She is very tall and long waisted which is why her skirts are often too short, for the total look.
This was a very cheap dress with a machine stitched hem I could see in the photos!
No way to let it down. If she wore a slip, which would be the same as wearing a more expensive dress that was LINED, it would give it a better look and cut down on windy problems.

Beatrice, Eugenie, Zara and Autumn all frequently wear above the knee length skirts. As for wardrobe functions, the Queen, Fergie, Princess Diana, Beatrice and Eugenie have all had multiple wardrobe malfunctions. So I'm not sure why Kate is singled out.

Male royals have also had wardrobe malfunctions.

I think if Catherine is being singled out it's not so much because she's had them as it is because we're thinking of suggestions to prevent them. Or at least, that's where the bulk of this discussion has gone. She's the most recent to have the skirt/wind problem, therefore we're discussing it as it relates to her and specifically the polka dot dress.

GG stated that she had never seen any other member of the BRF with such short hemlines or other issues. Which is not true, other members of BRF wear shorts skirts and have wardrobe malfunctions. So my "singled out" comment was referring to that particular statement.

And yes, male members of the BRF have their issues too. I can't even imagine the uproar if one of the female members of the BRF, were photographed at an official event without underwear.

Last edited:
I remember when Princess Beatrice had her Spanx revelation at some occasion where she had a wardrobe malfunction, there was plenty of comment about it on her thread and in the media. So other royals have definitely had their share of exposure, both fashion-wise and on the fashion threads.

Last edited:
Oh GAWD not this issue off skirt length again. She is 31 yrs old and she is going to dress like a 31 yr old! Not like The Queen, not like Camilla, or Anne! But a woman who was born in the 1980's who does not believe a dress that falls 2 inch above the knee is "too short". I think everytime someone makes that comment pix of actual short skirts should be posted.
As for the blowing skirts, I would think that after the Canada/yellow skirt incident she would have learned her lesson. I don't know why she still risks getting her skirt blown up and just doesn't put in some freakin weights.

. . . Just because her dress is considered too short by some, doesn't mean that it's an age or generational thing or uptight thing. When I say it at least, it has to do with her fashion, her overall look. If things are out of proportion, they look bad.
She is very tall and long waisted which is why her skirts are often too short, for the total look.
This was a very cheap dress with a machine stitched hem I could see in the photos!
No way to let it down. If she wore a slip, which would be the same as wearing a more expensive dress that was LINED, it would give it a better look and cut down on windy problems.
And, for those of you who feel compelled to "kill the messenger", do you think you could possibly allow members to post what they think Catherine looks like without insulting them for doing so. I think everyone would agree that Catherine does indeed have very long legs. Unfortunately while the colour combo, the polka dots, the dress style etc. all looked lovely you cannot get away from the fact that the photo's of her standing there, one hand holding the back of the dress down while trying to control her hair with the other just looked plain silly.

Much has been said about Catherine's desire not to become a clothes horse but unfortunately what she wants is not a consideration of the media. They want photos of a pretty, elegant Duchess, a Princess in everything but name and so, they follow her fashion and like it or lump it she has become a fashion icon.

Catherine's almost slavish devotion to the High Street is not doing her any favors. She does not have the body for most of it. With her long body and extra long legs short snappy dresses become very short and camera's zero in for any possible "malfunction. She is the definitive High Street Clothes Horse, some items look OK but skirts and dresses just don't work. Add her fabulous and enviable high heels and the balance is all off. Instead of looking elegant she looks coltish.

Some have argued that a young woman should look cute and they are not wrong, it's just that young women (and men) normally fall between 18 and 24! Catherine is a full grown woman, over 30 years of age and to call her a "girl" is both ludicrous and insulting. She has grown studied, worked and now married into the BRF. Expecting her to dress with style when she is "on duty" is not expecting too much. If the older members of the family can manage it then I don't think it is too much to expect of her. Short dresses with no hems and no linings, dresses with sloppy finishing? Catherine has been married long enough to know better. She had no problem wearing custom made on her Canadian tour so why is her home country treated to a style that never used to be hers. When she was dating William her clothes were definitely not High Street, when she has attended private parties and weddings her clothes were definitely not High street so, why is she trying to portray herself as the Budget Duchess?

This week has seen several really good looks ruined by cheap finishing and lack of forethought. I would love Catherine to understand that when she is at an engagement it is a special occasion for all those who come to see and meet her. Off duty she can wear sweats and trainers, that's her prerogative.

And, for those of you who feel compelled to "kill the messenger", do you think you could possibly allow members to post what they think Catherine looks like without insulting them for doing so. I think everyone would agree that Catherine does indeed have very long legs. Unfortunately while the colour combo, the polka dots, the dress style etc. all looked lovely you cannot get away from the fact that the photo's of her standing there, one hand holding the back of the dress down while trying to control her hair with the other just looked plain silly.

Much has been said about Catherine's desire not to become a clothes horse but unfortunately what she wants is not a consideration of the media. They want photos of a pretty, elegant Duchess, a Princess in everything but name and so, they follow her fashion and like it or lump it she has become a fashion icon.

Catherine's almost slavish devotion to the High Street is not doing her any favors. She does not have the body for most of it. With her long body and extra long legs short snappy dresses become very short and camera's zero in for any possible "malfunction. She is the definitive High Street Clothes Horse, some items look OK but skirts and dresses just don't work. Add her fabulous and enviable high heels and the balance is all off. Instead of looking elegant she looks coltish.

Some have argued that a young woman should look cute and they are not wrong, it's just that young women (and men) normally fall between 18 and 24! Catherine is a full grown woman, over 30 years of age and to call her a "girl" is both ludicrous and insulting. She has grown studied, worked and now married into the BRF. Expecting her to dress with style when she is "on duty" is not expecting too much. If the older members of the family can manage it then I don't think it is too much to expect of her. Short dresses with no hems and no linings, dresses with sloppy finishing? Catherine has been married long enough to know better. She had no problem wearing custom made on her Canadian tour so why is her home country treated to a style that never used to be hers. When she was dating William her clothes were definitely not High Street, when she has attended private parties and weddings her clothes were definitely not High street so, why is she trying to portray herself as the Budget Duchess?

This week has seen several really good looks ruined by cheap finishing and lack of forethought. I would love Catherine to understand that when she is at an engagement it is a special occasion for all those who come to see and meet her. Off duty she can wear sweats and trainers, that's her prerogative.

To me, getting stuck to these rigid ideas of age groups (or whatever it is) is what gets silly about some of these discussions. I think whether or not she is defined as a young woman is somewhat in the eye of the beholder - I see nothing offensive about calling her a "girl", and she's older than I am. And, sure, she could take some fashion cues from the other royal women (especially in terms of practical things like weighted hems), but she's also not a 60+ year-old woman. She has to carve out a style that's right for her and someone of her generation, which is much more flexible about so many of these things. (My apologies if that isn't the most coherently-worded way to express my opinion; I was going to elaborate more, but it's getting past my bedtime. :lol:)

As for her high street clothes, hasn't she always combined high street with higher-end pieces? She definitely wore high street clothes when she was dating William.

Oh GAWD not this issue off skirt length again. She is 31 yrs old and she is going to dress like a 31 yr old! Not like The Queen, not like Camilla, or Anne! But a woman who was born in the 1980's who does not believe a dress that falls 2 inch above the knee is "too short". I think everytime someone makes that comment pix of actual short skirts should be posted.
As for the blowing skirts, I would think that after the Canada/yellow skirt incident she would have learned her lesson. I don't know why she still risks getting her skirt blown up and just doesn't put in some freakin weights.

I couldn't state it more perfectly. Just one incident should have mortifying enough to do something about it.

Weights heavy enough to keep the wind at bay would also affect the way the skirt hangs, especially in lighter dresses. She's learned to be very careful about making sure she keeps a hand on her skirt when need be.

I think you guys are making too big a deal about the wind thing. It happens.

Bottom line (no pun intended) is, Kate has had plenty of skirt raising incidents. She knows it can happen and she continues to wear what she wears. Period.

Clearly she is happy to take the risk, she likes short skirts, likes to show her legs, and she doesn't care what we think.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately while the colour combo, the polka dots, the dress style etc. all looked lovely you cannot get away from the fact that the photo's of her standing there, one hand holding the back of the dress down while trying to control her hair with the other just looked plain silly.

Couldn't agree more. And regarding the skirt lenght: it has nothing to do with age or great or not great legs but the conservative position Kate has married into. She is core BRF, who cares what Andrew's daughters wear? It cannot be seen in comparison to Kate's wardrobe.

When she is representing the BRF, her hemlines should be no shorter than an inch above the knee and her skirts shouldnt be flying up, very simple.

I wasn't a fan of the polka dot dress. I appreciate her wearing something of the high street that doesn't cost too much but that dress looked plain cheap. If I were her I'd stick to her usual Reiss or whistles or similar for dresses or even Zara (relatively well quality priced) and leave topshop for blouses or jeans or pull overs or more "casual" clothes.

Some have argued that a young woman should look cute and they are not wrong, it's just that young women (and men) normally fall between 18 and 24! Catherine is a full grown woman, over 30 years of age and to call her a "girl" is both ludicrous and insulting. She has grown studied, worked and now married into the BRF. Expecting her to dress with style when she is "on duty" is not expecting too much. If the older members of the family can manage it then I don't think it is too much to expect of her.

In the first quoted paragraph, you request that members be allowed to post their opinions without being insulted. In the second quoted paragraph, you insult those who refer to Kate as a "girl", saying that their opinion is ludicrous and insulting. :whistling: My opinion is that many other members of many other royal families have have wardrobe malfunctions. If the Queen was still having them in her late 30's/early 40's, either it was the first time they happened, or it took her several years to learn about weighted hems, if there is such a thing as weighted hems. Kate's polka dot dress isn't the first to fly up, and it probably won't be the last (for her or anyone else).

Last edited:
Weights heavy enough to keep the wind at bay would also affect the way the skirt hangs, especially in lighter dresses. She's learned to be very careful about making sure she keeps a hand on her skirt when need be.

I think you guys are making too big a deal about the wind thing. It happens.

Yeah it would ruined the dress and it would be a waste of money (on that outfit)

It's not a big deal. People make a big deal out of everything that happen to (certain) famous women. Especially when they don't like them

I don't dislike Kate, but since this is a fashion thread I can certainly voice my opinion on her fashion - and her fashion alone.

Last edited:
I don't dislike Kate, but since this is a fashion thread I can certainly voice my opinion on her fashion - and her fashion alone.
I feel the same as you. Even though I really like her a lot, that can't be a excuse to like everything she wears, so I'll say my opinion or point out some detail that wasn't to my liking.

But lately she is on a WIN role, I guess its because of Spring, as she has more varity of prints and colors and the increased amount of other types of clothes, dresses, etc...

I think a woman's dress flying up and showing parts of her backside is a big deal. I am not a one of the people who thinks she needs to wear long skirts like the Queen, but this is becoming an issue of common sense. Photographers are watching her and they have proven to be disgusting in their morals; if her skirt flys up again they will not hesitate to take a picture of it for the world to see. I feel this is similar to Hollywood stars/wannabes getting out of cars with no underwear on. Many of them who have had pix of this event have learned to wear at least a thong or get out of a car more carefully, or both.

I am really looking forward to tomorrow where either
(a) there will be something new to talk about by way of fashion OR
(b) something to discuss by way of a repeat outfit OR
(c) a different outfit so we can spend something like 3-4 pages repeating what we have said about wighting down dresses.

I think a woman's dress flying up and showing parts of her backside is a big deal. I am not a one of the people who thinks she needs to wear long skirts like the Queen, but this is becoming an issue of common sense. Photographers are watching her and they have proven to be disgusting in their morals; if her skirt flys up again they will not hesitate to take a picture of it for the world to see. I feel this is similar to Hollywood stars/wannabes getting out of cars with no underwear on. Many of them who have had pix of this event have learned to wear at least a thong or get out of a car more carefully, or both.

I think it's really quite different, because many of those "stars" were doing that intentionally, because they wanted the paparazzi to get those pictures. I really doubt that Kate is aiming for that sort of attention.

IMO, weighted hems or whatever would probably be a good idea just because it would make things easier for Kate; she would have her hands free for greeting people, rather than keeping her skirt down.

No, I'm not going to blame Hollywood stars because a paparazzi decides to lay on the ground and take an upskirt photo of them

I think it's really quite different, because many of those "stars" were doing that intentionally, because they wanted the paparazzi to get those pictures. I really doubt that Kate is aiming for that sort of attention.

IMO, weighted hems or whatever would probably be a good idea just because it would make things easier for Kate; she would have her hands free for greeting people, rather than keeping her skirt down.

That's an opinion. I wouldn't think that every star who has a wardrobe malfunction is doing so intentionally. Not all stars want their lady bits plastered on the Internet for the world to see - even some who end up having problems getting out of a vehicle without flashing the camera.

As to whether or not Catherine is looking for this kind of attention.... I'm not trying to be negative on Catherine, but I do question the motives of someone who knows that she's going to be photographed intensely, has had multiple problems before, and yet continues to persist in her behaviour. I don't think she necessarily wants her bum to be photographed, but at this point it does seem like she wants us to be talking about how her bum was almost photographed.

It's just like with the bikini photos - if you don't want someone to photograph you in a bikini while you're walking down the beach, don't wear a bikini while you're walking down the beach. If you don't want your bum to be exposed on camera, and you've had two occasions where it's happened/almost happened, then rectify your behaviour. The wind isn't going to stop being an issue, and like it or not neither is the paparazzi.

As for whether or not Catherine is aware of what's being said about her - either on the Internet in general or in papers specifically - I highly doubt any member of any royal family isn't aware of what's being said about them. We know that the Queen reads a good selection of papers daily, including some of the tabloid ones, I would expect Charles, William, their wives, to do similarly.

I am really looking forward to tomorrow where either
(a) there will be something new to talk about by way of fashion OR
(b) something to discuss by way of a repeat outfit OR
(c) a different outfit so we can spend something like 3-4 pages repeating what we have said about wighting down dresses.

Oh, absolutely!

As to the hemlines, since she continues to wear dresses/skirts on the shorter side, the palace/Queen see no harm in it. I bet that if there was an issue, Her Majesty would have said something, and the hemlines would have changed. Catherine is a young, attractive woman, with great figure. Her fashion reflects that. On top of that, she dresses classy, and not walking around in Daisy Dukes, with her mid-riff on display. I work with teachers who dress in shorter, and more revealing attire, and no one says a thing. Catherine could be a great example, because she dresses in a classy and contemporary fashion. People need to give her a bit of a break.

No, I'm not going to blame Hollywood stars because a paparazzi decides to lay on the ground and take an upskirt photo of them

Oh, I don't blame celebs in general, but there were at least a couple of starlets who were well-known repeat offenders in the let-me-get-out-of-my-car-and-show-you-my-nether-regions department, back circa '07. It was a bit of a trend for a while, and that's what springs to mind for me when such things are mentioned. There was an inherent crassness on both the side of the press and some celebs in those instances; Kate is in quite different circumstances, at least in terms of her behavior.

That's an opinion. I wouldn't think that every star who has a wardrobe malfunction is doing so intentionally. Not all stars want their lady bits plastered on the Internet for the world to see - even some who end up having problems getting out of a vehicle without flashing the camera.

As to whether or not Catherine is looking for this kind of attention.... I'm not trying to be negative on Catherine, but I do question the motives of someone who knows that she's going to be photographed intensely, has had multiple problems before, and yet continues to persist in her behaviour. I don't think she necessarily wants her bum to be photographed, but at this point it does seem like she wants us to be talking about how her bum was almost photographed.

It's just like with the bikini photos - if you don't want someone to photograph you in a bikini while you're walking down the beach, don't wear a bikini while you're walking down the beach. If you don't want your bum to be exposed on camera, and you've had two occasions where it's happened/almost happened, then rectify your behaviour. The wind isn't going to stop being an issue, and like it or not neither is the paparazzi.

As for whether or not Catherine is aware of what's being said about her - either on the Internet in general or in papers specifically - I highly doubt any member of any royal family isn't aware of what's being said about them. We know that the Queen reads a good selection of papers daily, including some of the tabloid ones, I would expect Charles, William, their wives, to do similarly.

Oh, I didn't say that every star who's had a wardrobe malfunction did so intentionally; I would never say that. I said there were many who did - and perhaps "many" is even an overstatement, but there are undoubtedly a few, and it's well-known among many (common knowledge, I thought).

I really, really don't think Kate is going for that kind of attention at all. I very much doubt she wants anyone talking about her rear end. She continues to "persist in her behavior"? What, wearing skirts? I find that all to be a bit of a leap. I realize she might not wear clothes that are as tailored or whatever as people on here might like to see, but it doesn't strike me that she's ever tried to be intentionally inappropriate or exhibitionist.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really, really don't think Kate is going for that kind of attention at all. I very much doubt she wants anyone talking about her rear end. She continues to "persist in her behavior"? What, wearing skirts? I find that all to be a bit of a leap. I realize she might not wear clothes that are as tailored or whatever as people on here might like to see, but it doesn't strike me that she's ever tried to be intentionally inappropriate or exhibitionist.

She continues to wear skirts that aren't capable of handling the wind on windy days. I like that she doesn't always wear a tailored or whatever outfit - I like the fact that she's as comfortable in something that cost 30 dollars as she is wearing something that costs a thousand. My point isn't that she continues to wear skirts, or even specifically short skirts (if I had those legs I would too), but that she hasn't gone "okay the wind keeps on trying to show too much of my body, how do I remedy this?"

If a celebrity climbs out of a vehicle once and flashes a camera that can be construed as an accident. What they should do, in my opinion, is go "what do I need to do to make sure that my crotch doesn't end up photographed on the Internet again." It doesn't necessarily mean not wearing skirts, short or otherwise, it just means altering their behaviour somehow to prevent that from happening. Similarly, with Catherine, one bum shot due to wind can be seen as an accident. But the fact that she continues to have this issue and have to fight with her skirts while at engagements shows to me that she's not going "okay, this is a problem, what can I do to make sure my bum doesn't wind up on the Internet."

In a perfect world, she would be able to have a fight with the wind and photographers would go "no, it'd be inappropriate to take a picture of someone's accidental bum flashing" - similarly, female celebs should be able to get out of cars without worrying about someone trying to her a crotch shot. But it's not a perfect world, and knowing that I think the fact that Catherine hasn't gone "my bum keeps on almost ending up on the Internet, what do I do to stop that from happening?" suggests to me that she is wanting some of this attention.

Although, in her favour, it's not like she has a bad behind. Perhaps this is all her way of going "hey, my bum is every bit as good as Pippa's!"

I think saying she wants the attention is a bit much. The majority of the outfits/skirts she has worn have been pretty structured/wind resistance. So it's not like she's parading around at every engagement in floaty skirts. For this event, she probably didn't think too much about the wind, since she was basically getting out of the car and going straight into the venue. Usually when she's going to be outside or shaking hands with the crowd, she wears skirts that have more structure.

I do agree that she is going to need to address the skirt/wind issue. Whether that means using weights, shorts or some type of slip.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom