The Duchess of Cambridge's Maternity Fashion: December 2012 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks , Cepe, for that fun article. Many pictures of CPs I had never seen before.
I forgot how awful some of Victoria's dresses were!

Maxima gets it right, nothing like some bling to highlight an empire style!

I agree that Kate's coat is too short but isn't so much like the other recent ones.

Whether or not it's a maternity coat is a moot point to me. The only comment that I have on the outfit is that while I like the hat, I don't like it with this coat.

While I like some of her outfits more than others, I've never really disliked anything that Kate has worn. And Kate is at least consistent in her style choices - it's evident that she wears what she likes, which is important for any woman to do.

Mostly, I'd like to know what kind of dress is underneath that coat. It hasn't been identified yet (as far as I know) - What Kate Wore

Kate always seems quite practical in her wardrobe choices. If the dress she is wearing under that coat is loose and short sleeved, it would make a practical addition to her wardrobe for her postpartum period which will be mid to late summer.

I often see the word "boring" used to describe what some ladies are wearing. To me the dresses usually seem quite nice and appropriate.

I have asked before and have never received an answer, but would someone please explain what would constitute an "exciting" outfit (as opposed to boring"), especially when talking about maternity wear.

Last edited:
I often see the word "boring" used to describe what some ladies are wearing. To me the dresses usually seem quite nice and appropriate.

I have asked before and have never received an answer, but would somone please explain what would constitute an "exciting" outfit (as opposed to boring"), especially when talking about maternity wear.

From what I've seen here and other places when it concern royal ladies. Anything exciting will be something Crown Princess Mary wore
or consider inappropriate

Thanks , Cepe, for that fun article. Many pictures of CPs I had never seen before.
I forgot how awful some of Victoria's dresses were!

Maxima gets it right, nothing like some bling to highlight an empire style!

I agree that Kate's coat is too short but isn't so much like the other recent ones.

There are some great clothes and some horrors.

I noticed that the best were not in the 1st pregnancy. They had learnt their personal approach to maternity dressing. I also think that they were spending large amounts of money. They were confident, had stylists and were experienced.

I just think people should cut Catherine some slack, in the same way people are doing for Stephanie. No stylist, can't be spending loads and loads of money .

Different country, different times.

And like NGalitzine, I want to know what people actually expect.

The only thing about the coat that I didn't like were the black flecks. I like the colour of it, very spring-like IMO. When I first saw the pictures, I said "I love the buttons". They're pretty (IMO). Her hat is nice too and so are the earrings, I think they coordinate well with the rest of her outfit.

Last edited:

I have asked before and have never received an answer, but would somone please explain what would constitute an "exciting" outfit (as opposed to boring"), especially when talking about maternity wear.

It really comes down to who your preferred royal lady is. Anything she wears will be exciting and beautiful. Anything other royal ladies wear will be torn down to prop your preferred lady up.

I noticed that the best were not in the 1st pregnancy. They had learnt their personal approach to maternity dressing. I also think that they were spending large amounts of money. They were confident, had stylists and were experienced.

I just think people should cut Catherine some slack, in the same way people are doing for Stephanie. No stylist, can't be spending loads and loads of money .

Different country, different times.

And like NGalitzine, I want to know what people actually expect.
Its not only that, season does count too, a baby born in September/October requires for summer wear, which means that in my opinion, Summer Maternity clothes are more accessible in diferent kinds of print, diferent cuts, variaty of colors, that in the end, a summer pregnancy is more beautiful in terms of fashion.
Letizia had a better maternity fashion on her 1st pregnancy than her second one, mainly because of the season. I'm not saying that Fall/Winter Maternity fashion is horrid, but it lacks variaty and because of the climate, coats are the best option (often the only choice available).
Catherine's in my opinion never had a horrible appearance, I always liked or was OK with her choices until now, of course, some of them were too average, but I'm sure as the weather starts to warm up, she'll get to use more color, lighter clothes and more print, which is why I LOVE the Summer:flowers:

Last edited:
Whether or not it's a maternity coat is a moot point to me. The only comment that I have on the outfit is that while I like the hat, I don't like it with this coat.

While I like some of her outfits more than others, I've never really disliked anything that Kate has worn. And Kate is at least consistent in her style choices - it's evident that she wears what she likes, which is important for any woman to do.

Mostly, I'd like to know what kind of dress is underneath that coat. It hasn't been identified yet (as far as I know) - What Kate Wore

Kate always seems quite practical in her wardrobe choices. If the dress she is wearing under that coat is loose and short sleeved, it would make a practical addition to her wardrobe for her postpartum period which will be mid to late summer.

I agree with your overall view - I've never really disliked anything she has worn. I think your point about her consistency and practicality are important. I realize it leads to her style seeming quite boring to some people, but I think that she's done a good job of being practical/comfortable while still looking generally chic or current (or however one wants to define it). Perhaps I appreciate it because my approach to fashion has always been much the same (albeit on a much smaller budget!) For example, I often see complaints about her shoes. I know she seems to wear the same pairs a lot, but to me that indicates that she's comfortable with them. Personally, I have a hard time fitting shoes that fit my feet, and if I happen to find a style that not only fit comfortably but is also a good neutral of some kind, they pretty much become my "default" shoes for however long they last. I wish I had more variety in what shoes I wore, but I'm only willing to compromise so much. So when I see someone like Kate wearing something repeatedly (even a hairstyle), I feel like I can identify - I understand sticking with something when it works.

I understand your point Isabella, somewhat I kind of feel the same about my shoes, but I can't help feeling diferently when it comes to Catherine's shoes. Of course I want her to feel comfortable, but I also want to comment about what I truly think and feel of her fashion choices in this fashion thread.

It really comes down to who your preferred royal lady is. Anything she wears will be exciting and beautiful. Anything other royal ladies wear will be torn down to prop your preferred lady up.
Why have a preferred royal lady. Just enjoy the unique style of each and ever one. They are all different, different countries, different nationalities, different likes and different duties. No reason to have a favorite.

I understand your point Isabella, somewhat I kind of feel the same about my shoes, but I can't help feeling diferently when it comes to Catherine's shoes. Of course I want her to feel comfortable, but I also want to comment about what I truly think and feel of her fashion choices in this fashion thread.

Oh, I completely understand that. All opinions are valid, otherwise, what's the point of discussion? (The only thing I don't understand is some of the repeated claims of boredom some people have about her overall style; if I was so bored by something, I would've stopped paying attention a long time ago! But, different strokes for different folks).

As for her shoes, generally her choices are styles I either like (such as these pumps) or am indifferent to. Either way, she tends to choose things that don't detract from the rest of her outfit, which I like. But I do find it interesting to see the different things that people pick up on (e.g. many seem to notice if the hemline is longer/shorter in front; I would never notice that! lol)

Oh, I completely understand that. All opinions are valid, otherwise, what's the point of discussion? (The only thing I don't understand is some of the repeated claims of boredom some people have about her overall style; if I was so bored by something, I would've stopped paying attention a long time ago! But, different strokes for different folks).

As for her shoes, generally her choices are styles I either like (such as these pumps) or am indifferent to. Either way, she tends to choose things that don't detract from the rest of her outfit, which I like. But I do find it interesting to see the different things that people pick up on (e.g. many seem to notice if the hemline is longer/shorter in front; I would never notice that! lol)
Yes I think the same as you, sharing diferent opinions and facts about clothes can bring us to discover new things:flowers:

I think when some people refer "boring" to certain style or clothes, I think they want Catherine to leave her comfort/safe zone and take new risks.
So it can be "boring" because she can be "predictable" for them. A surprising choice can be "interesting" and "diferent".

Last edited:

Thanks, I get it now. "Boring" has nothing to do with fashion. If the wearer is a favorite then her clothes are perfect and "exciting" and all other ladies wear clothes that are "boring". Makes perfect sense:ermm:

Its interesting that you mention the 1960's and the buttons because they reminded me of MAry Quant's emblem of a stylised 4 petal daisy from the 1960's. You either have to be as old as me or a student of fashion history to remember that! :flowers:

Let's just say I'm not a student of fashion history!! :whistling:

Kate has worn some stunning/elegant clothing in the past...she just doesn't seem to have found equal footing in maternity wear overall...as of yet.

LaRae

I think Kate's wool maternity coat is just a couple of inches too short, but otherwise it's perfect. She looks exactly the way she should like at this point...healthy and radiant.

The fact that she also continues to look stylish at the end of her second trimester of pregnancy is just frosting on the cake! :)

Yes I think the same as you, sharing diferent opinions and facts about clothes can bring us to discover new things:flowers:

I think when some people refer "boring" to certain style or clothes, I think they want Catherine to leave her comfort/safe zone and take new risks.
So it can be "boring" because she can be "predictable" for them. A surprising choice can be "interesting" and "diferent".

Oh, I certainly understand that people want her to take risks - I like to see that too. Her comfort zone just doesn't bother me as much as it seems to bother some.

Kate has worn some stunning/elegant clothing in the past...she just doesn't seem to have found equal footing in maternity wear overall...as of yet.

LaRae

I'd add that her maternity public appearances have all been short rather than long dresses and nothing formal. Many were in winter coats. It's hard to stun in a winter coat. I think her superb choices overall have been the long evening dresses and the formal dresses - especially overseas last year. :)

Then why keep looking at it?:whistling:

I only had one look and I hated it. This is the first time I feel she hasn't looked good during her pregnancy, and I like the coats. This one unfortunately does look like a sack. Despite that she definitely has made better choices than Victoria. As for Kate's boring style one woman who looked great while pregnant was Princess Mary.

Last edited:
i'm not too keen on the style but the colour is beautiful and very "spring-y"! it's a shame she doesn't choose any maternity wear - that way she could maybe pull off clothes that are less rectangular and have more of a shape, to avoid looking like a sack, as mentioned earlier by the posters. but it's her decision, she must surely be tired of people talking about her pregnancy: dressing like this avoids comments on her bump, her pregnancy, the baby... and helps the media concentrate on what's happening.

Thats the easy way of putting it IMO but not necessarily correct. I have seen many posts across the thread of X royal fans not liking what the royal is wearing. I have seen some members criticize and praise Kate's outfits.

I'd add that her maternity public appearances have all been short rather than long dresses and nothing formal. Many were in winter coats. It's hard to stun in a winter coat. I think her superb choices overall have been the long evening dresses and the formal dresses - especially overseas last year. :)
A very astute comment.

I particularly like the sentence: "It's hard to stun in a winter coat." :lol:

I think if she wore actual maternity wear it might present a better look....sometimes her clothes just don't look like they fit right and it throws everything off.

LaRae

I don't think we're going to see Kate take risks any more than we'll see the Queen take risks, or Sophie Wessex or Camilla or the Princess Royal. And when they do step a little outside the box (Sophie with her skin-fitting Easter outfit, Kate with her short skirts), they get trumpets in the media headlines ... and not in such a good way.

Not quite right. We have seen a lot of coats but then again we have mainlky seen her outside - its the UK, its been cold so what else would she wear. But we have seen the DVF wrap dress and the black dress/white collar at the bereavement trust.

What she wears is her style - some of you find it boring and that's ok but she will wear what she is comfortable with whether pregnant or not. She isn't into pushing the boundaries of fashion (well, not yet!)

Pants? :flowers:

I for one don't care to see any of them taking risks....the only issue I've ever really had with Kate's clothing is sometimes they don't fit right. Usually I like her style and color choices.

Pants...have any of them ever worn pants to an official engagement other than when it's something like the Olympics or horse related events?

LaRae

I don't think we're going to see Kate take risks any more than we'll see the Queen take risks, or Sophie Wessex or Camilla or the Princess Royal. And when they do step a little outside the box (Sophie with her skin-fitting Easter outfit, Kate with her short skirts), they get trumpets in the media headlines ... and not in such a good way.

I agree; I think Kate is less concerned with exciting and more concerned with appropriate.

I've long thought that she is deliberately trying to avoid becoming the fashion icon that Diana was (everything Diana wore was analyzed and trumpeted in the media).

That might be the reason she repeats many of her outfits, buys High Street wares, and often goes in for muted colors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom