Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Glad to see you recovered from the Skinny Jean FM! lol

LaRae
Hahahaha!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess gertrude View Post
All of the pieces of this outfit today are fine, but just not together. The slim pants with the booties are terrible. The slim pants with this top is terrible. I would have loved the wide legged pant from last week with this top and those booties, or she could have worn a cute pair of black (low healed) pump with these thin pants. The coat is fine, although I am finding that they a little bulky for my tastes (and I know it's cold). The messy bun is still not a good look, IMO. This one might be worse than the last.
Now that I understand that:

1) The jacket is a play on the Prince of Wales check pattern, I see why she chose that jacket. It's relatively stylish and has a tailored cut. Still not my favorite (I'm not a huge fan of checks unless it's exaggerated houndstooth in black/white), but I see why she chose that. And the neckline is gorgeous.

2) The jeans she chose to benefit a fledgling company trying to bring jobs back to the local area.

I agree though that the combination of all of the items together wasn't my favorite. Honestly changing the pants would have saved the outfit for me.

I loved her coat, messy bun and mismatched earrings though. And the boots. Wide leg trousers, or straight leg trousers with a slight flare would have set the outfit off for me - but apparently she was wearing those jeans particularly to help boost the cause of the company making them, so... I'm down for that.

Old 01-18-2018, 01:57 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

I really like Meghan's attitude, very charming and engaged, her fashion not so much. The outfit is very average/not well put together. It seems to me she does not have a stylist yet, dresses like a city girl what she's not. The messy hair is the worst.
Old 01-18-2018, 01:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess gertrude View Post
All of the pieces of this outfit today are fine, but just not together. The slim pants with the booties are terrible. The slim pants with this top is terrible. I would have loved the wide legged pant from last week with this top and those booties, or she could have worn a cute pair of black (low healed) pump with these thin pants. The coat is fine, although I am finding that they a little bulky for my tastes (and I know it's cold). The messy bun is still not a good look, IMO. This one might be worse than the last.
Nah, those pants wouldn't work with this. Trust me, I love my wide legged pants, I've tried it all. Regular slacks is the way to go with that top. Although, she is trying to promote a local brand here.
Old 01-18-2018, 02:04 PM
Heir Presumptive

I would have changed the shoes to a nice pair of black loafers. The velvet is out of place.
Old 01-18-2018, 02:07 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress Merel View Post
I would have changed the shoes to a nice pair of black loafers. The velvet is out of place.
I would've like a pair of leather boots that goes over the jeans.
Old 01-18-2018, 02:12 PM
Heir Apparent

Nice outfit, and in keeping with a 'pattern'. Her clothes do not dominate but rather 'frame' her. She is dressing very low-key, very conservatively (within a certain style), and Harry color coordinates with her. In fact Harry is a bit more interesting fashion-wise (because it's so different from his norm up to now). Maybe Meghan does the coordinating, though I think Harry may be as interested as she is: it's in his genes given both Harry's parents loved their clothes.

Meghan's hair situation is interesting: what she is doing with her hair is a definite divergence from her red carpet appearances, and in fact would never have flown professionally as an actress on walk-about Maybe. However, it does look 'natural' in an outdoor royal venue, makes her look approachable and 'regular'. Might be her hair 'signature'.

BTW have to disagree with someone regarding the coat: that coat is hugging her body. She looks very lean. I also like the coat tie. Very cute.
Old 01-18-2018, 02:21 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curbside View Post
I haven't seen the earrings.

The pants look fine to me. These don't appear to be casual, five-pocket jeans.

I like the jacket better in the videos, but I still hate the color.
Here are the earrings. I dont get it
http://www.gazette-news.co.uk/resour...onsive-gallery
Old 01-18-2018, 02:27 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
I would've like a pair of leather boots that goes over the jeans.
That's how I would have worn it - but wouldn't that have looked a little "I'm about to go riding" for Meghan given her position now?
Old 01-18-2018, 02:33 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by FashionMaven View Post
That's how I would have worn it - but wouldn't that have looked a little "I'm about to go riding" for Meghan given her position now?
High heel boots. I initially thought about riding boots (not actual riding boots, but the fashion ones) too, but thought that might not be too relaxed. Given how skinny her legs are, she'd totally rock it. Although, sometimes boots like that aren't the most comfortable is wants to squat down to a child's level, or be group hugged like she was. It might have really taken her down rather than just a step backwards to rebalance.

Just one point, let's not pretend that some wouldn't criticize her for being "Hollywood" if she did glam up. Not all that criticize her outfit, but we all know she'd get that criticism from some.

BTW, just one more point on the coat. I always found it odd why some thought her coats were ill fitted. As a coat aficionado, I never found them to be ill fitted. I always thought they looked the way they are suppose to and quite stylish. I think I'm realizing there is some confusion about style versus fit.

For a coat's fit, generally look at the shoulder and length of sleeves to see if they are ill-fitted. The body can be loose while not being ill-fitted. It's a style. Especially among the belted coats and straight line coats. Not saying that's a style anyone can pull off as some can still come off as the coat wearing the person, but her coats are fine.
Old 01-18-2018, 02:46 PM
Nobility

Quote:
High heel boots. I initially thought about riding boots (not actual riding boots, but the fashion ones) too, but thought that might not be too relaxed. Given how skinny her legs are, she'd totally rock it. Although, sometimes boots like that aren't the most comfortable is wants to squat down to a child's level, or be group hugged like she was. It might have really taken her down rather than just a step backwards to rebalance.

Just one point, let's not pretend that some wouldn't criticize her for being "Hollywood" if she did glam up. Not all that criticize her outfit, but we all know she'd get that criticism from some.
Gotcha - and agreed on the Hollywood criticism, lol.

Okay yeah - boots with heels... and a slightly thinner heel than she had on today would have been fire - but probably too glam given all of the walking around and crouching down to greet kids.

(..)
Old 01-18-2018, 02:47 PM
Majesty

Fashion Maven I think that boat neckline has moved to the top of the list for wedding dress bodice for her ...that style really suits her.

I generally like houndstooth and tweed so cool that it was a play on the POW patter.

I love that she's wearing the jean to promote a fledgeling company and the purse donates to childrens vaccines out of their proceeds.

I'm still not sold on the messy hair totally. Nor the earrings. I also agree I think the tall boot with tucked in pants would of said riding boot..not the right look for this event. At a polo match or horse show yes.

Lady Nimue I agree..it's an emerging pattern for her work look so far. They do frame her nicely and there's no sense of the clothes wearing her. I love the re-cycle element too (in previous outfits..not sure about this one). I'm hoping she tries other hairstyles other than the messy bun and that it doesn't become her 'working hair'.

I'm with you polyesco...don't get the earrings. Not a fan.

LaRae

Quote:
BTW, just one more point on the coat. I always found it odd why some thought her coats were ill fitted. As a coat aficionado, I never found them to be ill fitted. I always thought they looked the way they are suppose to and quite stylish. I think I'm realizing there is some confusion about style versus fit.

For a coat's fit, generally look at the shoulder and length of sleeves to see if they are ill-fitted. The body can be loose while not being ill-fitted. It's a style. Especially among the belted coats and straight line coats. Not saying that's a style anyone can pull off as some can still come off as the coat wearing the person, but her coats are fine.
The only coat I think I've seen I considered ill fitted was the white coat on the day of the engagement.

So I don't understand the repeated comments about her coats being ill fitting.

LaRae
Old 01-18-2018, 02:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

TIME has a nice article about her clothing choice today.

Meghan Markle Shows Philanthropy With Her Fashion Choices | Time

Another article from Telegraph.

Diplomatic and sustainable: Meghan Markle ticks all the fashion boxes with her latest look
Old 01-18-2018, 02:53 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
The only coat I think I've seen I considered ill fitted was the white coat on the day of the engagement.

So I don't understand the repeated comments about her coats being ill fitting.

LaRae
Agree - although I didn't think the white coat was ill fitted. Wrap coats are meant to be larger and oversized a bit - they aren't tailored much on purpose. It's literally the style to wear them as oversized... though the only one I'd say was a bit oversized was the camel one from Christmas - and that's only in the arms. Everywhere else it was fine.

I think some just aren't a fan of wrap coats or oversized coats and that's okay.

Today my only quibble with the black coat was how it cinched in the waist (not quite enough) - I usually cinch mine harder, but that's just me.

As for wrap/oversized coats? I think they have their place. I recently wore my camel wrap coat to a job interview (that's why I've been missing a lot from here lately - tons of interviews for my next role taking over the world) and got so many compliments it was unreal. Someone - and we hadn't mentioned Meghan or royals or anything - said it reminded her of Meghan Markle's coat at Christmas and I decided she was going to be my new best friend!!
Old 01-18-2018, 02:57 PM
Nobility

The earrings are so tiny that I don't have a problem with them being "mismatched." I might have to try that myself.
Old 01-18-2018, 03:00 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curbside View Post
The earrings are so tiny that I don't have a problem with them being "mismatched." I might have to try that myself.
Do it! The best part comes when people finally notice and then mention it.

No one notices unless they are looking at you head on anyway and then it's fun to watch their faces try to work out what's different.
Old 01-18-2018, 03:03 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Agree - although I didn't think the white coat was ill fitted. Wrap coats are meant to be larger and oversized a bit - they aren't tailored much on purpose. It's literally the style to wear them as oversized... though the only one I'd say was a bit oversized was the camel one from Christmas - and that's only in the arms. Everywhere else it was fine.

I think some just aren't a fan of wrap coats or oversized coats and that's okay.

Today my only quibble with the black coat was how it cinched in the waist (not quite enough) - I usually cinch mine harder, but that's just me.

As for wrap/oversized coats? I think they have their place. I recently wore my camel wrap coat to a job interview (that's why I've been missing a lot from here lately - tons of interviews for my next role taking over the world) and got so many compliments it was unreal. Someone - and we hadn't mentioned Meghan or royals or anything - said it reminded her of Meghan Markle's coat at Christmas and I decided she was going to be my new best friend!!

AH I figured you must be very busy with work!

Yes I just didn't like that very loose white coat..to me it looked sloppy.

Anyway for today my first impression when she walked around the car was positive...I really liked the overall look.

Oh and you may not pay much attention to other royals but you should go look at the coat Princess Sofia (Sweden) wore tonight (link below)...I LOVE it would love to see a BRF lady wear it too.

http://1.t.cdn.belga.be/belgaimage:1...805&m=holamaoh

LaRae
Old 01-18-2018, 03:05 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Do it! The best part comes when people finally notice and then mention it.

No one notices unless they are looking at you head on anyway and then it's fun to watch their faces try to work out what's different.
My eight-year-old is forever losing just one earring. I'll have to see if I can talk her into this trend.
Old 01-18-2018, 03:07 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyesco View Post
Here are the earrings. I dont get it
http://www.gazette-news.co.uk/resour...onsive-gallery
I take it back, I don’t like the actual earrings. I like the concept, but this pair is mismatched done wrong.

Regarding the jeans: i’m always in favor of boasting small businesses, she could have done the jeans and a different shirt. Maybe she should have had checkered coat or boots instead. The shirt does not work with the outfit.

By the way, showed the picture to my Parisian friend who works in fashion she says that Meghan look is not even remotely close to Paris chic, British chic, or Italian chic. My friend says Meghan fashion sense is very American actually, a strange mix of new-England meets California, having lived in both those regions, I agree.
She did love the hair style and hopes Meghan would stick to it if she has no plans to let her beauty curls show ever again (yea my friend is black and does not like seeing any woman of color smooth her natural curls).
Old 01-18-2018, 03:08 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
Black is SO grim on such a cold day...

So not a fan of ANY of her choices..
Random thought...this is the second time we have seen Ms Markle in black; would she be showing solidarity with the ladies in black (LIB?) of the #metoo movement?