The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-21-2017, 02:32 PM
Commoner

Would Harry or someone in the royal family give advice or voice an opinion on the appropriateness of the engagement outfit? If it was completely inappropriate for something like an official photo, would someone speak up? Or would it be left entirely to her?

Personally, the dress isn't my taste, but I'm not wearing it, and I am very conservative in my choices. My 60 year old mother is more fashion forward than me.

As far as what it looks like cost wise, I'll never understand people having to act like they're under the same restrictions of others when they're not. I can't afford certain outifts, but to me it doesn't "look bad" if people who can, do. (Unless they're using money that isn't actually theirs, and then criticisms are valid).

Old 12-21-2017, 02:36 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani257 View Post
Would Harry or someone in the royal family give advice or voice an opinion on the appropriateness of the engagement outfit? If it was completely inappropriate for something like an official photo, would someone speak up? Or would it be left entirely to her?

Personally, the dress isn't my taste, but I'm not wearing it, and I am very conservative in my choices. My 60 year old mother is more fashion forward than me.

As far as what it looks like cost wise, I'll never understand people having to act like they're under the same restrictions of others when they're not. I can't afford certain outifts, but to me it doesn't "look bad" if people who can, do. (Unless they're using money that isn't actually theirs, and then criticisms are valid).
I think they do have staff who may advise, but rather the royals listen I don't know. Harry is said to be pretty receptive to advice and has good staff around him (even if the larger KP office is...well). Meghan also seems like someone who listens to earnest advice too.

Old 12-21-2017, 02:48 PM
Nobility

KP confirms it was a "privately purchased" dress.
Old 12-21-2017, 02:50 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

I'm not particularly fond of the dress. The top part looks like an ice skating outfit. Her hair and make-up look lovely though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Meghans Mirror‏
@MeghansMirror

Sources have shared that Meghan’s gown was not bespoke couture, which indicates it did not cost the reported £56,000. It was also possibly loaned for the purposes of the photoshoot.
Can't find this tweet, did they delete it?

The dress is from Ralph and Russo's Autumn Winter 2017/2018 collection.
Old 12-21-2017, 02:54 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani257 View Post

Well, Harry was obviously right there for the photos, so he very well could have said, "hey hon, not sure that's the right choice, maybe lets put this off a few hours while you look in your closet for something more low-key." But the look on his face in the pictures suggests he was pleased with what he saw.
Old 12-21-2017, 02:55 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapstar View Post
I'm not particularly fond of the dress. The top part looks like an ice skating outfit. Her hair and make-up look lovely though.

Can't find this tweet, did they delete it?

The dress is from Ralph and Russo's Autumn Winter 2017/2018 collection.
I thought the dress was from the 2016 lines? Will need to double check.

And I think someone mentioned KP announcing designers? I believe they rarely do, but people who follow fashion (I post on a big fashion board and follow and help moderate several fashion blogs) and follow the seasons tend to be able to recognize pieces and signature styles from designers fairly quickly. So often times there is no need for a palace to confirm the designer.
Old 12-21-2017, 02:57 PM
Aristocracy

Maybe Meghan splurged on this and never really found the right time to wear and it was just like "what the heck, why not?" for her engagement photos?

I do hope we see it at a state dinner. This dress with a tiara and an up do!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-21-2017, 03:00 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

Yep, you're right. It's from the Autumn Winter 2016/2017 collection.
Old 12-21-2017, 03:05 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by loonytick View Post
Well, Harry was obviously right there for the photos, so he very well could have said, "hey hon, not sure that's the right choice, maybe lets put this off a few hours while you look in your closet for something more low-key." But the look on his face in the pictures suggests he was pleased with what he saw.
From the looks on Harry's face in the photos, Meghan could have been wearing a potato sack and he wouldn't have looked at her any different.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 12-21-2017, 03:18 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaira View Post
I thought the dress was from the 2016 lines? Will need to double check.

And I think someone mentioned KP announcing designers? I believe they rarely do, but people who follow fashion (I post on a big fashion board and follow and help moderate several fashion blogs) and follow the seasons tend to be able to recognize pieces and signature styles from designers fairly quickly. So often times there is no need for a palace to confirm the designer.
As I also posted a little earlier--
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-H Anglophile View Post
Bloggers find out/figure out designers too. Some of them are really, really good at it.

It wouldn't make any difference, the "outrage" would continue...
Quote:
Originally Posted by soapstar View Post
Yep, you're right. It's from the Autumn Winter 2016/2017 collection.
So quite likely this was a dress she's had at least for a little while now. Maybe she wore it somewhere with Harry and he really liked it and that's why she wore it for the photos. You never know
Old 12-21-2017, 03:25 PM
Majesty

Meghan is going to continue to figure out how to go about things. Harry is going to help her out. If there are concerns about her clothing he's going to let her know. Personally I think she's in tune enough to know if something is appropriate or not.

LaRae
Old 12-21-2017, 03:32 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
There's a happy medium between squandering $75,000 on a dress and going to Primark.
You see it as squandering $75k, she might not. Granted she's also earned a lot more in a year than an average person. I know brides often do splurge on their wedding dresses. What can't Meghan splurge her own money on her engagement dress? They wouldn't be doing another set of engagement photos, ever. So if that's the dress that she wanted that day, how is it anyone else's problem? This isn't something that would be reimbursed by the Duchy of Cornwall as official business clothing would be.
Old 12-21-2017, 03:42 PM
Nobility

Meghan had many people help her before one picture was snapped. If anyone felt it was inappropriate they never would have happened let alone be released via all the official accounts. She is a little more edgy and daring but she not out of line in their mind.
Old 12-21-2017, 03:43 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
You see it as squandering $75k, she might not. Granted she's also earned a lot more in a year than an average person. I know brides often do splurge on their wedding dresses. What can't Meghan splurge her own money on her engagement dress? They wouldn't be doing another set of engagement photos, ever. So if that's the dress that she wanted that day, how is it anyone else's problem? This isn't something that would be reimbursed by the Duchy of Cornwall as official business clothing would be.
Thing is, since it's from the 16/17 collection she probably already owned it and didn't buy it just for the engagement shoot.

Even so...if she wanted to spend 100,00 on a brand new dress, it's her money.

LaRae

Jack Royston‏
@Jack_Royston
Following Following @Jack_Royston

Meghan's engagement shoot dress worth quite a bit more than Kate's, though am told Meghan didn't actually have to pay the full £56k.
Old 12-21-2017, 03:50 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Jack Royston‏
@Jack_Royston
Following Following @Jack_Royston

Meghan's engagement shoot dress worth quite a bit more than Kate's, though am told Meghan didn't actually have to pay the full £56k.
Considering it was last year's design, I'd be surprised if it wasn't on discount. Would that make people feel better?
Old 12-21-2017, 03:53 PM
Serene Highness

I think the biggest takeawy from these photos is we are starting to see Meghan's personal fashion taste. I had given alot of latitude to her red carpet/celebrity wardrobe as an actress; it was a job - but now we are starting to see her personal style. Granted - she is not in direct line to be Queen - but I think she is definitely making a statement. Personally i dont think the sheer top is appropriate, i think the price tag on the dress was foolish - but she will learn and adjust. Marrying into this family is not easy and all seem to have a landmine to navigate... Diana wore a strapless black dress for her first formal engagement - and causeded quite a stir.

I think they look very happy and I like the BW photo. This 'black swan' dress isnt my taste - but it sure makes me more curious about what her wedding dress will be thats for sure.
Old 12-21-2017, 03:59 PM
Heir Apparent

I'm not a fan of the outfit, but they look super happy and I think she looks great! As for the pricetag of the dress, it's her money and she can spend it however she likes.
Old 12-21-2017, 04:03 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleQ2 View Post
Personally i dont think the sheer top is appropriate,

It was sheer but hers was also lined. It was not risque or even that edgy.
Old 12-21-2017, 04:06 PM
Nobility

I couldn't care less how much the dress cost, considering Meghan paid for it with her hard-earned money.
Old 12-21-2017, 04:07 PM
Majesty

Diana talked about that later...they had no idea (or guidance) that she wasn't supposed to wear black or something that 'daring'. It got all kinds of comments!

Meghan is way more covered up in her dress. It's lined and has design to further cover things.

LaRae

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
Considering it was last year's design, I'd be surprised if it wasn't on discount. Would that make people feel better?
No they'd just shift over to commenting (more) about the 'sheer' part. If it was free they'd still not be happy.

LaRae