The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-17-2009, 10:10 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odette View Post
Has anyone read the book "The commoner" by John Burnham Schwartz?
It is supposed to be pure fiction but the storyline is so close to what we know about
Masako and the Empress that is eerie to read about it.
(Except for the ending of course) this is almost biographical. Very interesting.
Yes, I read the book recently and really enjoyed it - it is well written and quite clever because although it is fictional, you are aware that there are certain elements that could be associated with the life of Empress Michiko and indeed it is obvious that the author intended it to be half "biographical" and half fictional, so you can't help but read it all the way through. His research has obviously been very thorough. I'll not tell you the ending but it is rather good!

Old 08-17-2009, 07:21 PM
Heir Presumptive

I agree with you. One half wonders if the author wanted to avoid a lawsuit by making it a novel. Still so many details which have been made public during the years.........
One probably wishes Empress Michico would do what the fictional empress did at the end....

Old 08-18-2009, 02:47 PM
Aristocracy

Well, Odette, I think of this book it is temptatiously fictional... one cannot help but wonder what the author is saying is true and what is not. However, researching in the recent history of the Imperial Family can help determining so.

By the way, I would like to know what the fictional empress did at the end...
Old 08-18-2009, 04:37 PM
Heir Presumptive

I wonder if I could tell you on this forum but since it is a published book and fashioned as fiction.......I will send a pm to you so I do not spoil it for some who may be interested in reading it.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:50 AM
Serene Highness

Has anyone read The Thames and I by Crown Prince Naruhito?
The Thames and I by Prince Naruhito

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules