"Carl XVI Gustaf - The Reluctant Monarch" by T. Sjöberg (2010) & other books of T.S.

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A woman who stays in a marriage where her husband has cheated on her is often protrayed as weak, a door-mat, a push-over or someone who is cold. Often she is blamed for the cheating or criticized for not leaving the marriage. Since I've never personally experienced this myself, I can't really judge someone's decision. One doesn't have the complete picture of what is going on.

Any person regardless of their gender has a weakness when they stray in their marriage. Cheating is a weakness. What's interesting is that when you ask the person who was cheated on (usually the woman) why they stayed in the marriage, they usually have an answer as to why. If you ask the other party why they cheated, they don't always have an answer for it or perhaps they don't even known why they cheated (perhaps they are trying to spare the other party pain).

...Call me hypersensitive, but I found myself offended reading the portions of your post...
I ask for really, if you will excuse me if you understood me so! I believe that many Swedes, like myself, have a very good eye for America. My post was not directed to hurt anyone in any other country. Swedish newspapers have called the way of writing the sensational book "American celebrity journalism" and it has not been in a positive way. Perhaps it is that some things are not really going to translate as you think? I know that sometimes when you get down in Southern Europe and may be poorly composed food so you joking that it is composed of "The Swedish Chef". Of course, I know it is a joke because we have many good chefs. I hope you accept this as an excuse and do not think I have the notion that all writing in America is written by second-class journalists.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you

Thanks for replying, Karisma. As I stated in response to your intial post, I thought you probably weren't making a mean-spirited observation and I almost didn't post my message.

In this day and age, society (or American society) has become so politically correct that for fear of offending, many times people stop communicating (openly). But because I felt that the unprofessional/trashy/yellow journalism is something prevalent in many countries and cultures I felt it necessary to point it out.

And as I said at the beginning of my post...on the issue of this thread it seems we are rather in agreement. I much prefer that. :flowers:

Thanks again,

Rascal

Swedes in shock at King Carl Gustaf sex scandal - Telegraph

Swedes in shock at King Carl Gustaf sex scandal

Sweden has been shocked by revelations about their quietly dignified King. <H1>Swedes in shock at King Carl Gustaf sex scandal</H1><H2>Sweden has been shocked by revelations about their quietly dignified King.

</H2>

I am sure the public's perception of the King would have irrevocablky been changed by these revelations, and his near public verification of the them. It will be interesting to see how the Palace handles the PR from here, and the actions of the King and Queen hereon.

Did the Queen know previously, or has all of this only just come to her attention as well?

I am sure the public's perception of the King would have irrevocablky been changed by these revelations, and his near public verification of the them. It will be interesting to see how the Palace handles the PR from here, and the actions of the King and Queen hereon.

Did the Queen know previously, or has all of this only just come to her attention as well?
I would assume the Queen knew although perhaps not the details. After a few years of marriage you know your partner and when something new is going on it is usually noticable.

The swedish people will get tired of this story very quickly and life will go on. He was not alone when he partied - many of his friends were involved too. There must be numerous interesting discussions going on in castles and mansions around Sweden.

This Sunday must have been an interesting gathering...
If they are a strong family they would have gathered no matter what... Yes, the discussions would have been interesting.

The Queen apparently knew about the alleged affair with the singer. I'm not sure how much their children knew until now. In the 90's Victoria and Carl Philip would have been in their teens, Madeleine maybe even younger..

This book is being blown out of proportion.

Men cheat for a variety of reasons, but eventually all of them do. Sylvia appears to be ok with the King's extra-martial activities. That's all that matters.

Remember Madeline knew of Jonas's infidelity and still agreed to marry him. She only broke off the engagement when it became a media spectacle.

I am sure Victoria will discreetly look the other way when (and I firmly believe that its a matter of WHEN rather than IF) Daniel strays.

Its seems that the women are ok with their s/o's indiscretions until they become a public spectacle. I think it would be advisable for the public to leave it alone and let it be.

...Men cheat for a variety of reasons, but eventually all of them do.
Wow! To paint ALL men as being cheaters is totally unfair, untrue and unjustifiable! Using your reasoning, do all women continue to live with and accept unfaithful spouses? Because that is certainly not the case either!!

Why is there no official sources?

Ladies! It would not hurt to be more critical to the source of what has been written. In modern democracies with functioning judicial systems, it is not enough to say that "someone" made "something". No one would even think to consider such a claim. The losers on this book is all that like the monarchy and the gains on those who argue for a republic.

Remember Madeline knew of Jonas's infidelity and still agreed to marry him. She only broke off the engagement when it became a media spectacle.

I didnt realise that madeline new about jonas's infidelity , I thought she had found out the same time as we did , or a few days before the new broke

I don't think I have ever read before that Madeleine knew of Jonas infidelities??!?!?!

Madeleine broke off with Jonas because of A) The woman he slept with went public and B) he apperantly made a coworker pregnant.
And who say only men cheat, its like saying only men are capable of kicking someone

I don't think women in general regardless of their social standing in life would be okay with their husband cheating on them. They may accept it but that's not the same thing as being okay with it.

The same would not be true if the positions were reversed.

This book is being blown out of proportion.

Men cheat for a variety of reasons, but eventually all of them do. Sylvia appears to be ok with the King's extra-martial activities. That's all that matters.

I am sure Victoria will discreetly look the other way when (and I firmly believe that its a matter of WHEN rather than IF) Daniel strays.

Its seems that the women are ok with their s/o's indiscretions until they become a public spectacle. I think it would be advisable for the public to leave it alone and let it be.

Wow, when I analyse your post, I assume women should not have too much expectations of a marriage and must sooner or later accept infidelity. Sorry, but this is not how I see marriage.

Unless the man involved treats them badly, a woman will often tolerate her husband's cheating on them. As long as others don't know about it. Don't ask, don't tell policy. When it becomes public knowledge, then it's a different story.

All women do not accept infidelity. If that was indeed the case, then the divorce rate worldwide would not be so high. There are women (wealthy or not, famous or not) who have decided that they will not continue in a marriage with an unfaithful spouse because their trust has been betrayed. Every woman is different and will decide, based on their own circumstances, whether they will continue in the marriage or not. Same goes for men with unfaithful wives.

In my country, decades ago, it was the women who stayed at home and took care of the children. They had no income of their own, were usually the mothers of many children, were uneducated and were solely dependent on their husbands for financial support, while the husbands had children with other women. Things are different today. More women are attending university (more than men), have careers and are financially independent. The divorce rate here is high because women no longer have to put up with unfaithful men as they can look after themselves and their children if they have to. I'm not saying that they aren't women who will continue in a marriage with an unfaithful husband (and vice versa), but the days when men generally felt that the wife will put up with their behavior is long gone.

Last edited:
Just like anything else, this is an individual's decision. Sometimes people are critical of the decisions that women make regarding infidelity (whether to stay or leave), but that is their decision. I think women of today are less tolerant of infidelity than they were in my mother's day (she married in the 1950's). I don't necessarily think there is more of it but it more out in the open than it was back then.

In regards to the Madeline/Jonas story I believe it was all speculative, in regards to the affair which lead to the engagement and the child. Nothing has been proven other than they are no longer together.

I guess we can only wait until a couple of years when the Madeline book is written.

Men cheat for a variety of reasons, but eventually all of them do.

That's just absolutely not true that all men cheat, or that Daniel definitely will. If that's been your experience with men then I'm really sorry and it's very unfortunate and you've had incredibly awful luck, but there are PLENTY of men in the world who have never cheated. The absolute highest statistic I've ever seen is that 50% of men cheat, and I think even that's too high (I've seen lots of lower statistics in various places).

Review of the book, written by Dick Harrison (Professor of History at Lund University and well-known Swedish writer and he think the book is really really bad bad bad)
Google Översätt

That's just absolutely not true that all men cheat, or that Daniel definitely will. If that's been your experience with men then I'm really sorry and it's very unfortunate and you've had incredibly awful luck, but there are PLENTY of men in the world who have never cheated. The absolute highest statistic I've ever seen is that 50% of men cheat, and I think even that's too high (I've seen lots of lower statistics in various places).

Thank you! Someone needed to say that. I think 100% (at least 98%) of the men I know have not cheated and never will. They have taken their marriage vows seriously. It's not just a vow either. They love their wives and want to stay with them. In my opinion it's also partly ladies' fault. If some ladies now days would behave themselves and not talk, act and dress provocatively the men wouldn't be tempted. We can do alot to keep our men and to keep other men from temptation by our own dress and actions.

As in badly written or bad for the Monarchy?

Badly written:

'"Carl XVI Gustaf.The reluctant monarch "is a sickening piece of tabloid prose which tells us very little about our head of state.
This is, in other words, a really bad biography.'

The Professor says the book doesn't provide concrete evidence for its claims although he's not saying that they're necessarily false. And also that it focusses too much on the scandals with no mention of how the King carries out his duties (tsunami and Brunei and other important moments of his reign) or his relationship to his family.

Although might not be very good for the monarchy, either.

In my opinion it's also partly ladies' fault. If some ladies now days would behave themselves and not talk, act and dress provocatively the men wouldn't be tempted. We can do alot to keep our men and to keep other men from temptation by our own dress and actions.

It takes two to tango. No man needs to open his zipper just because a woman is dressed provocatively. :whistling:

Back
Top Bottom