The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > Royal Library

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-17-2008, 10:02 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villemann View Post
I don't expect to change the Danish monarchy by talking to the Australian media, but when I am asked, I do answer
Do you expect to change the Danish monarchy by publishing your book i Australia?

Old 08-17-2008, 10:14 AM
Administrator

The book is not published in Australia. The English-language version is only available though online ordering.

Old 08-17-2008, 11:58 AM
Heir Presumptive

Location: Between the first and second floor of the Eiffel Tower, France
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTruth View Post
Just wanted to ask (don't take it personally, it's not an attack), do you believe you can be pretty unbiased when you do an interpretation of information you gather?
Perhaps you didn't see my question but can you explain why we should believe your book is fairly impartial when you went through an interpretation process? To me, it's incompatible trying to be neutral when you interpret an information.

Please, help find a cure for ALS

Because it matters...
Old 08-17-2008, 12:12 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Ok, English is not your first language: Let me, therefore, explain in simlpler terms:
This is a forum open for people all over the world in which they can express their opinions and thoughts as long as they do so according to the rules of the forum.

For a lot of members English isn't their first language. Using "Oh, English is not your first language" as an argument against a member one disagrees with - is in my oppinion compleatly out of line with common decency.
Old 08-17-2008, 12:27 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Ok, English is not your first language: Let me, therefore, explain in simlpler terms: FOLLOWING the cartoons crisis,IMO (IN MY OPINION) the monarchy is more crucial that ever, because ,IMO (IN MY OPINION) it needs to work out how to protect Danish values without antagonizing Denmark's growing number of muslims. As a national rallying point the Danish Royal House IMO (IN MY OPINION) is facing it's biggest challenge in decades trying to make those two ends meet.
Well, good luck to them, because I have a feeling this is a set of incompatible objectives. I agree that a monarch might have a better chance than a politician, but if you have a case where the monarchy is tied fairly closely to a particular Christian denomination, then it might actually be counterproductive. You're right that immigration and multiculturalism are going to be really major issues in the future, but I'm not sure that the monarchies will be able to do too much more than provide a focus for the longer-term residents to preserve their identity in the face of the shift in society in general. In that respect there's a danger that they could actually be damaging and encourage the us-versus-them mindset. Prince Charles's interest in other cultures and his desire for religious and cultural tolerance aren't going down too well in Britain where too many people already feel that the national identity is threatened by immigration of groups who refuse to assimilate.
Old 08-17-2008, 12:42 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
The book is not published in Australia. The English-language version is only available though online ordering.
Thanks for correcting my mistake Warren

I will rephrase my question.

Do you expect to change the Danish monarchy by making your book available in English and market it via Australian media?
Old 08-17-2008, 12:42 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brabant View Post
Let me identify myself.
I am Trine Villemann’s husband, Malcolm Brabant, and I am writing to stand up for my wife in the face of the unjustified vitriol being directed towards her.
I am also the editor of the English edition of 1015 Copenhagen K, and I adapted Trine’s translation from the original Danish.
I have been a journalist for more than 30 years.
And for the past 20 years I have been a foreign correspondent for the BBC.
I have been on assignment in more than 70 countries.
During that time I have won a couple of major reporting awards.
The reason I am telling you this is to vouch for and underline Trine’s journalistic credentials, not to brag about my own achievements.
Trine has been impeccable in sourcing the material for 1015 Copenhagen K.
I know the identity of her sources and, like her, I will take their names to the grave in order to protect them.
What I will say is that I was astonished at how close Trine got to the Danish Royal Family and at the scores of different sources she had.
Her sources are as good, if not better, than Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein’s anonymous “Deep Throat” from the Watergate scandal.
They certainly would pass the scrutiny of the editorial boards of the New York Times and the Washington Post.
I stand whole-heartedly and proudly beside my wife in this endeavour.
She is a fantastic, scrupulous, courageous journalist.
But that is not what you want to hear, and no doubt, I will be prevented from posting again.
The tenor of this forum is clearly from George Bush’s Texas.
It is - “You are either with us, or you are against us.”
No sane person needs to be reminded of the result of such attitudes.
Of course you won't. However, as you yourself acknowledged, the use of anonymous sources is pretty widespread when dealing with royalty and unfortunately it's been abused by certain journalists whose interest is not necessarily in factual reporting. That tends to make it easy for people to come up with the accusation that any journalist is abusing anonymous sources and very hard for the journalist to defend him/herself. Sometimes the only real defence is the test of time.

As far as the tenor of this forum, the only official moderator interventions here have been pretty much in support of Trine as far as I can see. Other moderators taking part in the conversation are doing so in their capacity as forum members, not moderators. We're trying to provide a forum where people with views across the board can express their opinions without being bullied or intimidated into silence. As I'm sure you're aware, the Danish royal family, and Princess Mary in particular, is one of the more contentious topics that's discussed at TRF, and people on both sides of the issue have strong feelings about it.

If you still have problems with the way this forum is being run, please address those concerns to the forum administrators by private message.
Old 08-17-2008, 12:51 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Hi Gaia, I have spread the message all over Denmark and I am still spreading it at every opportunity, I get. My book was initially published in Denmark in October 2007. I don't expect to change the Danish monarchy by talking to the Australian media, but when I am asked, I do answer As for Alexandra and Hong Kong. I am busy on that one for my next book! What is swiftboating?

"King of Greenland" is going to cover Alexandra and Hong Kong? Or is there a third book in the works?
Old 08-17-2008, 01:26 PM
Nobility

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brabant View Post
Let me identify myself.
I am Trine Villemann’s husband, Malcolm Brabant, and I am writing to stand up for my wife in the face of the unjustified vitriol being directed towards her.
I am also the editor of the English edition of 1015 Copenhagen K, and I adapted Trine’s translation from the original Danish.
I have been a journalist for more than 30 years.
And for the past 20 years I have been a foreign correspondent for the BBC.
I have been on assignment in more than 70 countries.
During that time I have won a couple of major reporting awards.
The reason I am telling you this is to vouch for and underline Trine’s journalistic credentials, not to brag about my own achievements.
Trine has been impeccable in sourcing the material for 1015 Copenhagen K.
I know the identity of her sources and, like her, I will take their names to the grave in order to protect them.
What I will say is that I was astonished at how close Trine got to the Danish Royal Family and at the scores of different sources she had.
Her sources are as good, if not better, than Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein’s anonymous “Deep Throat” from the Watergate scandal.
They certainly would pass the scrutiny of the editorial boards of the New York Times and the Washington Post.
I stand whole-heartedly and proudly beside my wife in this endeavour.
She is a fantastic, scrupulous, courageous journalist.
But that is not what you want to hear, and no doubt, I will be prevented from posting again.
The tenor of this forum is clearly from George Bush’s Texas.
It is - “You are either with us, or you are against us.”
No sane person needs to be reminded of the result of such attitudes.
Cheers, Malcolm!

It's Abbie here. You and I corresponded about Trine's book by e-mail a few times. Nice to see you here.
Listen, I admire both of you for standing up to what you do, and realise what a difficult position both you and your wife are in, right now.
Neither of you comes across, to me at least, as being the least bit sensationalistic in our e-mail correspondences, and I think you are coming under such fire because you have dared to do what few people have, in the past, and that is criticise The Danish Royal Family. You have let "daylight in upon the magic" which even nowadays is still taboo, it appears.
By the way, if you are doing a book about The Countess of Fredensborg (Alexandra), I am also most interested in reading about that one, too. I have always liked reading about her. The Danes seem to really appreciate her and her contributions to their country and culture, no?

-- Abbie
Old 08-17-2008, 09:43 PM
Nobility

Smile

Thanks very much for this review of the book, Norwegianne. It only piqued my interest in reading it, further.

-- Abbie

PS: I don't know why I didn't notice this entry earlier. I just saw it now. Oh, well ... Also, about critiquing any foreigner's knowledge of Danish? It is such a hard language to learn and pronounce, isn't it? I mean, I would think that if anyone could learn it to a medium degree of proficiency, then to that I would say, "Well done!"
Old 08-17-2008, 11:06 PM
Royal Highness

Sorry to interrupt the discussion, but is the book out in English yet?
Old 08-17-2008, 11:34 PM
Imperial Majesty

Yes, it came out at the beginning of the month. It's only available directly from the author; she isn't selling it via the online bookstores. If you want to know how to get a copy, please send her a PM.
Old 08-18-2008, 04:52 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren View Post
Swiftboating, from Wiki:
"Swift-boating's essence is a particular kind of dishonesty, or rather a particular combination of shadowy dishonesties. It usually involves a complex web of facts, many of which may even be true. It exploits its own complexity and the reluctance of the media to adjudicate factual disputes. No matter how thoroughly a charge may be discredited, enough taint remains to support an argument. The fundamental dishonesty is the suggestion that the issue, whatever it is, really matters."

It is an American term coined to describe a certain type of political attack.
I think what Trinnie meant here, was not that she lied, but was being kind of diplomatic about her experiences, and wanted the public to beleive only the good, bright and posotive side of her relationship and decision making. Sometimes the truth can be understood in different ways.
Old 08-18-2008, 08:01 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntie View Post
I think what Trinnie meant here, was not that she lied, but was being kind of diplomatic about her experiences, and wanted the public to beleive only the good, bright and posotive side of her relationship and decision making. Sometimes the truth can be understood in different ways.
I must beg to differ. Trine, by her own posts, asserted things that were definitely not diplomatic in nature and were certainly not aimed making the public believe only the good, bright, and positive side of anything not least herself. She asserts that she has a mission to share her truth to expose the "spin" and lay bare the real DRF.

My question is, having tried to rip the defenses of the DRF away, exposing the Danish Royal Family and Frederik and Mary in particular ridicule, and intense prying into the family relationships, just what was Trine's objective?
Old 08-18-2008, 09:23 AM
Nobility

Maybe her objective was to show us the other side of the DRF, that absolutely exists, there is bound to be more than moonshine and roses as in every family. I have only read little pieces of the book, but I think she has done a good job.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:57 AM
Heir Apparent

Okay, I can get that. However, based on the posts here, and not on having read the book, it appears that a great majority of the book is about documented history, and only at the end goes into what is apparently only the authors opinions. So I don't think that can be considered a factual rendering of the "other side" of the Danish Royal Family. More supposition and opinions based on "anonymous" sources, which can not be verified by anyone but Trine herself.

I would be more inclined to believe anonymous sources, from any writer, if they'd had a long or even a medium history on writing truthful, sourced out pieces. But it stretched my beliefs to believe that this is a factual rendering by someone who is writing their first book. That is my opinon, and luckily I am entitled to it. Frankly, I have the same scepticism when it comes to any other writer with little history behind them. It's nothing personal.

However, I might even have been able to overcome that, and read the book, except for the authors postings here, which I must only assume are an extension of her opinions written in her book, and until something backs up what she is saying here on the threads, and a majority can agree that the book is not just so much opinion as here in the threads, I think that I will wait.
Old 08-18-2008, 02:11 PM
Imperial Majesty

My copy's just arrived (took nearly 3 weeks to get here according to the postmark ); as soon as I finish reading my book about the Dover PA trial, I'll get right to it.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:08 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneeuwklokje View Post
Maybe her objective was to show us the other side of the DRF
I am pretty sure you are right about that....

Quote:
that absolutely exists,
I am sure you are right about that as well...

Quote:
there is bound to be more than moonshine and roses as in every family. .
and that to, elsehow they wouldn't be humans and the organisation surrounding TRF wouldn't be at healthy one..........

The thing is though - it simply isn't the business of anybody else then the TRF or people employed - or having positions of trust - in the organisation surrounding them!

If Trine in fact had reliable sources inside the organisation - which I strongly doubt - they should to be sacked (Which is easy in Denmark as we have got one of the most liberal labourmarkets in the world). That is what any company would do to a disloyal employee or a disloyal person in a position of trust. Furthermore disloyalty can't be keept as a secret - management alwayes knows if there is a rotten egg in the nest. I know what I am talking about as I have worked with changes management all my career.

Morover working or having a position of trust in the organisation surrounding TRF is so prestigious that I don't think anybody will risk loosing that, just because some journalist tries to get privat informations about TRF. A person doing so - and finaly ending up getting sacked because it will be found out - will end up having very bad prospects of getting a job afterwards as this person woun't be capable of providing a referee giving good references. In Danmark practically all companies are asking candidates for referees. The risk of such a person falling drastically down the social ladder is 1000 times higher then the risk of monarcy ending in Denmark.

In fact if Trine really has those sources she claim - they must be incredible stupid.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:20 PM
Nobility

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
My copy's just arrived (took nearly 3 weeks to get here according to the postmark ); as soon as I finish reading my book about the Dover PA trial, I'll get right to it.
Niiice, Elspeth! Really niiiiice. I am going to send away for the book just as soon as I hear back from Malcolm (Trine's husband) as to whether I can mail him a cheque or a MO for it. I am not going to go thru' paypal to get it, like most (do).

Elspeth, did you send a check or a MO (Money Order) for the book?

I am greatly looking forward to reading your review of it

-- Abbie
Old 08-18-2008, 09:37 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRH Abigail View Post
Niiice, Elspeth! Really niiiiice. I am going to send away for the book just as soon as I hear back from Malcolm (Trine's husband) as to whether I can mail him a cheque or a MO for it. I am not going to go thru' paypal to get it, like most (do).

Elspeth, did you send a check or a MO (Money Order) for the book?

I am greatly looking forward to reading your review of it

-- Abbie
Nope, I used PayPal. It's really straightforward to sign up and pretty easy to use.