Press Reports about Carl Philip and Sofia Hellqvist, Part 2: April 2012 - June 2014

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
But Sofia is acting so strikingly different than for example the Magnuson brothers or the relatives of the Queen, she is always searching the camera.
Not exactly a fair comparison. The Magnussons and the Sommerlaths are very old news. None of them is dating the only son of the monarch. I doubt either family opens there door to find a cameraman or a microphone in their face when they go outside. Sofia is current news, at least for the Swedish gossip press and they want pictures of her.

Is it possible they only publish the photos of her looking at the cameras?

As for smiling for the camera's- It's what she suppose to do.
Smiling for the cameras? That's ok of course but posing for them and waving at the crowds isn't IMO. Sofia is not there in her own right!! The first lesson a GF/BF of a royal is taught is how to be discreet during the courtship. Daniel Westling, Chris O' Neill (despite the occasional 'finger'), Kate Middleton, Camilla of Cornwall, CP Mary e.t.c. were all keeping a low profile in the time leading up to the engagement, sometimes also after.
Sofia probably has several fine human qualities, or the HMs would not have included her the way they do. However discretion doesn't seem to be among them!

QUOTE=Roslyn;1564202]Is it possible they only publish the photos of her looking at the cameras?[/QUOTE]

Roslyn, it's possible but the live coverage we've seen so far tells another story!
viv

Last edited:
Well she was at the wedding as a guest, and all the guests walked the carpet past the photographers and when the photographers called out their names more than a few guests stopped and posed for pictures. I can only imagine the hubub in the press and on these boards with angry people saying she is now too good to pose and smile for the press and acting more royal than the royals who did stop and pose and smile. Pretty much a no win situation if you ask me but much better to pose and smile when asked to,

I can only imagine the hubub in the press and on these boards with angry people saying she is now too good to pose and smile for the press and acting more royal than the royals who did stop and pose and smile. Pretty much a no win situation if you ask me but much better to pose and smile when asked to,

I get your point :flowers:! Again: I don't mind the smiling however I don't agree with the 'red carpet posing'! This is not Hollywood and the Academy Awards! There's an unwritten conduct code for GF/BFs of a royal. The populations of European monarchies knows it, the media knows it! In fact it could be counter productive for her even without her reality TV experience! Indiscretion nearly ended the budding romance between French Marie Cavalier and Prince Joachim of Denmark!

It may not have been a red carpet but there definitely was a carpet that all guests were parading across to get to the chapel and there were press photographers along the carpet calling peoples names to get them to stop and smile for the cameras. The same thing at Victorias wedding and at Frederiks wedding (in his case both at the church and at the Fredensborg reception inside the palace,,,,,all guests were stopped and asked to pose).

To me its no different than if I am walking down the street and someone calls out "Hey Nicholas", I am doing to stop and turn towards whoever is calling my name and most likely I will be smiling. Camera ready.

This is not Hollywood and the Academy Awards! There's an unwritten conduct code for GF/BFs of a royal. The populations of European monarchies knows it, the media knows it! In fact it could be counter productive for her even without her reality TV experience! Indiscretion nearly ended the budding romance between French Marie Cavalier and Prince Joachim of Denmark!

It seems to me that these things should be so well known that anyone who is in a relationship with a royal prince or princess and hoping for it to proceed to marriage would be well aware of the need to behave in an appropriate manner in public, and particularly in the presence of anyone with a camera or microphone, so I am surprised that any of them would pose for the cameras, etc.

It seems to me that these things should be so well known that anyone who is in a relationship with a royal prince or princess and hoping for it to proceed to marriage would be well aware of the need to behave in an appropriate manner in public, and particularly in the presence of anyone with a camera or microphone, so I am surprised that any of them would pose for the cameras, etc.

A different discussion is why the Swedish Court is handling the relationship the way they do! It's not a criticism on my part - I like the Swedish RF :) - I'm just curious! I have a couple of thoughts, but it's for a new thread, if anyone cares!

viv

A different discussion is why the Swedish Court is handling the relationship the way they do! It's not a criticism on my part - I like the Swedish RF :) - I'm just curious! I have a couple of thoughts, but it's for a new thread, if anyone cares!

viv

Well, you've piqued my curiosity. I'd love to know your thoughts on the matter, so leave us the breadcrumbs to the new thread.

But Sofia is acting so strikingly different than for example the Magnuson brothers or the relatives of the Queen, she is always searching the camera.
Image Upper.com - Free Image Hosting - View Image

Expressen and Aftonbladet have been very kind to Sofia. It will be interesting to see what happens if they are getting engaged, will the swedish media publish all the photos of Sofia.

:yuk::yuk::yuk: LOOK AT ME

And who is she waving at???

I am glad NOT to see Sofia on the official wedding pictures.

:previous: That's a very stark contrast with other people in the pictures. It happens on other occasions as well. I remember seeing pictures (they may be on this thread) of Sofia with Carl Philip and Madeleine who were walking and avoiding looking at the press with Sofia grinning at the camera.

Daniel didn't behave like that when he was dating Victoria. I also don't understand why the press are so much more positive about Sofia than they were about Daniel.

:previous: That's a very stark contrast with other people in the pictures. It happens on other occasions as well. I remember seeing pictures (they may be on this thread) of Sofia with Carl Philip and Madeleine who were walking and avoiding looking at the press with Sofia grinning at the camera.

Daniel didn't behave like that when he was dating Victoria. I also don't understand why the press are so much more positive about Sofia than they were about Daniel.

I am not sure, byt maybe the Swedish press is more liberal than that from other countries. I don't imagine what would happen if Prince Harry dated a woman like Sophia, DM would have swallowed her.

All the royals were on the red Carpet and posing for pictures. Mary, Letizia, Camilla, Maxima, etc all like the camera and try try to give the photographers some good pictures. It's part of the job and Sofia knows what's required. The late Queen Mother also loved the camera and in her younger days, she always gave the photographers her best. Some said she was like an actress. She knew how to move her face muscles just the right way for pictures.

Sofia try to provide the photographers with good pictures and there's nothing wrong with that. If she looked grumpy and with no smile, people wouldn't like it and would've come up with rumors about her relationship and with the royals.

Sofia was included in the big group photograph and sat in the royal section with the family. I'm glad the press is trying to ease up on Sofia. The nastiness is getting old, IMO.

Last edited:
All the royals were on the red Carpet and posing for pictures. Mary, Letizia, Camilla, Maxima, etc all like the camera and try try to give the photographers some good pictures. It's part of the job and Sofia knows what's required. The late Queen Mother also l

Interesting as I saw none of that from the couples before and after Sofia! Maxima was not there, and neither was Letizia! Oh, and neither was Camilla! You didn't see it from Mary, or Stephanie or even Marie Chantal!! It's not about getting a good shot, Dman. I think you are missing that in you defense department.

I am not saying anything bad about Sofia -but, it's just not what she needed to do, she needed to be more in the moment and less about what you call "getting a good shot". In the end, the good shot goes to the bride!

If you noticed, all of the other guests were, walking in their pictures -not standing still.

Just my thoughts.

Interesting as I saw none of that from the couples before and after Sofia! Maxima was not there, and neither was Letizia! Oh, and neither was Camilla! You didn't see it from Mary, or Stephanie or even Marie Chantal!! It's not about getting a good shot, Dman. I think you are missing that in you defense department.

I am not saying anything bad about Sofia -but, it's just not what she needed to do, she needed to be more in the moment and less about what you call "getting a good shot". In the end, the good shot goes to the bride!

If you noticed, all of the other guests were, walking in their pictures -not standing still.

Just my thoughts.

I'm not talking about just at the wedding. I meant that the royal ladies try to give the photographers nice pictures, which they know will end up in the magazines, newspapers and on the net.

Everyone took some time to pose at the wedding and Sofia really isn't no different. I think Sofia's smile help me realize that she's a nice young lady and what really matters is that she and Prince Carl Philip seems to be happy and that the family seem to really like her.

Sofia on 3rd June at the Female Economist of the Year Gala at the Stockholm School of Economics. Female Economist of the Year at Stockholm School of Economics is an annual scholarship initiated by Sofia's mentor Barbro Ehnbom and her friends. This year's Female Economist is Indra Andersson Santiago, she is at the first photo in the middle beside Sofia.
http://www2.hhs.se/femaleeconomist/images/feoyceremonies/2013/IMG_3709.jpg
http://www2.hhs.se/femaleeconomist/images/feoyceremonies/2013/IMG_3802.jpg

Carl Philip and Sofia have spent the weekend at the island Ulvön at the archipelago of Örnsköldsvik, according to Allehanda they got a guided tour. Annika Sönnerberg from the court told to Allehanda that Carl Philip hasn't any official program during the weekend and he refuses to give interviews.
Article with an old photo
Kungligt besök på Ulvön - Örnsköldsvik - allehanda.se

Last edited:
As for the carpet walk to the church, many probably haven't seen the scene, so here is a video:Sammenlikner svenske Sofia med Pippa Middleton - Kjendis for me it's just too much posing, every meter...

ui ui ui, that is really bit bit toooo much. Completely Exaggerated......:cry:

Nevertheless I have to defend her a bit. She is posing exaggerated (which I do not like at all), but (except the infamous first sms "I am dating a prince") she is not indiscreet, i.e. she is not telling stories about their relationship.

Also: her Dress at the wedding is nice and fully appropriate for the Occasion - and definately not too "open". If I remember the dreadful dress from the former fried of Felipe, Eva Sannum, which was much, much too much skin..... She has learned a lot during the last 2 years.
BYe Bine

At the cover of Saturday's Expressen

Sofia's Princess School
The Court's plan for her new role
http://www.expressen.se/ImageHandle...nal&guid=ce3a12dc-fdef-4bf3-92c4-9d22247644a1

The article isn't online, at least yet.

Expressen has the article online

According to a person near the Royal Family, there are thoughts for some education for Sofia.
Expressen interviewed Jan-Eric Warren, Daniel's teacher at his "introduction program". Warren said in a common level that when someone who joins the royal family, comes from different surroundings, that person needs guidance. You must learn how the court works, the traditions and the history, get acquainted with the history of the Bernadotte dynasty, the Royal Palace and to the work of the state, one must know how the Head of the State works. Warren emphasizes the importance of the introduction to all who marry to the Royal Family, not just the partners of the future regents, so that the person would feel oneself like home in the court. He hopes that the tradition of the introduction will continue.

Sofia has herself prepared for the future by hiring a stylist, Camilla Åstrand. And Barbro Ehnbom has been her mentor and helped her in networking.
During the years Sofia has been dating with Carl Philip she has got into the Royal Family events: in Estelle's christening, Lilian's funeral and Madeleine's wedding. Johan T Lindwall is convinced about Sofia's place at the Royal Family, that she has represented at the official events is a strong symbol that she is fully accepted to the Royal Family.
Peter Nygren, who lives with Sofia Hellqvist's aunt Lena Rothman in Älvdalen, said the family did not talk about any possible wedding right now.
- The day that joy, we take it when it comes. Would it be nice? Yes, for her sake, he says.
Bertil Ternert didn't want to comment to Expressen, if there is planned some introduction program for Sofia by the court for the future.
Så ska Sofia Hellqvist utbildas till prinsessa Nyheter Expressen Senaste nytt - Nyheter Sport Nöje TV
Translation

Last edited:
If the reports are true, why are they doing all this before an engagement is announced?

I have no doubt that it's true. Prince Daniel got the same kind of training before their engagement was announced. The idea is that Daniel (and Sofia) should be prepared for what's waiting. As soon as the engagement is announced, the media pressure on Sofia will be even bigger.

I think it's a smart move of the royal court to do this.

According to the Swedish Royal Court, Daniel's induction program started on January 2010, they got engaged in February 2009.
Induction programme for Mr Daniel Westling - Sveriges Kungahus [NS4 version]

Maybe officially, but Daniel has said that he's been trained long before that. I'll try to find the source. But there are also outside reports. This article from december 2004 talks about how a team around Daniel was training him as early as 2004. They didn't get engaged until five years later.

http://www.expressen.se/nyheter/nu-gar-daniel-i-prinsskola/

The tabloids said that Daniel had used a PR-firm to get help, but it hasn't been confirmed. And he had many CEO's as clients at his gyms he could ask advice from.

Now since the Royal Family is on vacation, the tabloids focuse on the "Future princess"

Expressen Sunday "Learn to know our future princess"
http://www.expressen.se/ImageHandle...umn&guid=4a2ede17-5f0c-45cc-a8df-583df1514102

Aftonbladet Klick!
http://gfx.aftonbladet-cdn.se/image/17040566/529/normal/4eaf4f89ece29/etta0628.jpg

According the royal experts an engagement is approaching with big steps.
- When Sofia marries the prince, it is important that she has a basic knowledge of history and political science, and knows how the court and the organization works. She must also know the Bernadotte family and the links to the other royal houses. The king and queen like Sofia, she has thick skin and a big heart, tells Aftonbladet's royal expert Jenny Alexandersson, who calls it "historic" that Sofia got to the official family photo at Madde's banns, the King has bypassed the old tradition of engagement required to belong to the family.
This can be compared with Daniel Westling, who worked a long time to be accepted as one of the royal family.
- Daniel has made the way for both Chris and Sofia. He had the toughest opposition because he married a crown princess, but after all the training and experience he has gained, he does an excellent job and can become an important advisor to Sofia when it is her turn. Sofia will not undergo such a comprehensive induction as Daniel. But she will get the help from the court to learn what it takes to represent at Carl Philip's side. The principal advisers are the king and queen, but also Victoria and of course Daniel are important for Sofia, says Alexandersson.
The royal experts agree that we will not have to wait long for a prince wedding.
Norwegian royal expert Kjell Arne Totland believes that a marriage proposal may have already taken place - secretly.
- The possibility is actually great that the two are already secretly engaged, he said recently to Side2.no.
Even Alexandersson states that the prince and Sofia may have exchanged engagement rings.
- It is possible that the prince and Sofia are already engaged, in which case they keep it as a secret. I haven't seen any of them wearing a ring.
Hovexperten ”Carl-Philip och Sofia kan redan vara förlovade” Klick! Nöjesbladet Aftonbladet

Last edited:
I guess this could be included into "we-are-newspaper-editors-all-other-are-on-vacation-and-we-don't-know-what-to-write" journalism.

Is an engagement announcement coming after Crown Princess Victoria's birthday on 14 July? I take it she has been invited to this!

Is an engagement announcement coming after Crown Princess Victoria's birthday on 14 July? I take it she has been invited to this!

Sofia has been spending summer with Carl Philip in Solliden during the previous years. She hasn't attended with the royal family at the Victoriadagen (Victoria Day) concert. We will see if there is a change this year.
Almost all the swedish royal experts have said, that if Carl Philip and Sofia are going to get engaged this year, it will happen after the King's 40 year jubilee on the throne on 15th September.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom