The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 11:40 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
No, it is a bunch of greedy gossip magazine editors who want to create a storm in a teacup to sell more issues.
There is a huge amount of very negative comments in various articles and forums about the interview and especially regarding Carl Philip's comment on love. Everyone thought at once about Emma and the ten years she spent with Carl Philip. And are angry because of her. It is not strange at all that the magazines are calling to Emma for a comment. Of course they make a story about something that has made people react.
Maybe Carl Philip didn't think before he answered, but he is 36 years old and should have learned that a royal must think about everything he says. And Emma is one of Madeleine's closest friends...

Old 06-02-2015, 11:43 AM
Serene Highness

Pre-Wedding Information for Carl Philip and Sofia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
No, it is a bunch of greedy gossip magazine editors who want to create a storm in a teacup to sell more issues.

Excactly what i feel. Prince Carl-Phillip is (as his father is) quite famous to speak before he thinks so i doubt anyone is really surprised. I also reacted and felt that his words was quite insensitive but it is really a storm in a Tea cup that will only give "new fire" to those who loved Emma and don't like Sofia.
And Aftonbladet is our most "Pro Republic" newspaper so that they would do something to "help" the royal family is totally out of the question.

Now let's celebrate the wedding.

Old 06-02-2015, 12:13 PM
Serene Highness

All this defending of Emma... "But she was his girlfriend for 10 years, how could he say something like this?" He DID NOT diss her and did not mean that he never loved her, he only meant that his relationship with Sofia is from a different kind. He stated what he feels and those who react angry choose to see it as a stab at Emma. Because they feel the need to defend the poor Emma Pernald, who is apparently a saint. I suppose by saying what she did (even though she could learn to use and apply nuances, like I said before) she shows more maturity than the people that caused the uproar.
And I don't see the use of mentioning her friendship with Madeleine at all, as if that will be damaged by this. Unnecessary IMO.

By the way - I have never seen a post from someone who likes both Emma and Sofia. I guess that would be a crime.
I see very well what Carl Philip sees in Sofia and vice versa and I'm happy that they will be TRH's in two weeks time. And with that I second Hans-Rickard's statement - celebrate the wedding.

On the guests note: it's very nice that Norway sends such a large delegation. I always like seeing Princess Märtha Louise and it's also nice that her husband comes along.
Old 06-02-2015, 12:31 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
All this defending of Emma... "But she was his girlfriend for 10 years, how could he say something like this?" He DID NOT diss her and did not mean that he never loved her, he only meant that his relationship with Sofia is from a different kind. He stated what he feels and those who react angry choose to see it as a stab at Emma. Because they feel the need to defend the poor Emma Pernald, who is apparently a saint. I suppose by saying what she did (even though she could learn to use and apply nuances, like I said before) she shows more maturity than the people that caused the uproar.
And I don't see the use of mentioning her friendship with Madeleine at all, as if that will be damaged by this. Unnecessary IMO.

By the way - I have never seen a post from someone who likes both Emma and Sofia. I guess that would be a crime.
I see very well what Carl Philip sees in Sofia and vice versa and I'm happy that they will be TRH's in two weeks time. And with that I second Hans-Rickard's statement - celebrate the wedding.

On the guests note: it's very nice that Norway sends such a large delegation. I always like seeing Princess Märtha Louise and it's also nice that her husband comes along.
I don't know if this is aiming also at me but I will try to reply:
It's not like we all are here defending Emma. I speak for myself but after months of praising them it's a bit a relief to see that the press and people commenting the article can move a little bit of critisicm for a statement that he reported... And I am sure that if he had formulated the statement better maybe this "uproar" wouldn't have come... I never said Emma was a saint, never. Only that she had the right to reply IMO and let's be fair: you would have done the same thing if it had been Sofia... You say that who likes Emma doesn't like Sofia, but it seems that applies to you too, am I mistaken? And why is that one feels alway the need to rush and defend the couple in every tiny circumstance of critic? When the couple is praised by the press and their fairytale campaign is sold again and again it seems just fine.

I guess Emma's response was very balanced and moderated as she herself admitted she has no hard feelings and she couldn't care one bit. But the press wanted a reply and she did good IMO. For once the public can hear a different opinion and not only CP and Sofia's point of view...

If your post wasn't direct to me, I'll apologize...
Old 06-02-2015, 12:32 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy View Post

I like them all. I have met both Prince Carl Philip and Emma Pernald (though separately) in person and his relationship with Sofia hasn't done me any harm. Though i guess i am quite uninteresting then.

As i said the Prince (as his father) isn't very well media trained and from time to time speaks out loud before he think. Most swedes knows that and don't care at all. And most royal families have their member who does that.
This is not helped that most newspapers in Sweden is "Pro republic" especially Aftonbladet and wouldn't do anything at all to boost the image of the royals.

When Saturday 13:th June is here and Sofia comes walking up to the altar in a magnificent bridal gown and a nice tiara at her head, this storm in a teacup will be long forgotten.
Old 06-02-2015, 12:46 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Don't sell yourself short, HR .

Out of curiosity: how can the prince and his father not be very media trained? The court must be able to provide such training. If they never received any training that would be rather curious, considering their position. Or perhaps they did receive training but are still not very good at the topic. Not everybody is a natural in these things. But in that case it must be an option to limit the amount of press-talks, as happens with other royals abroad.

My doubts about this the wedding I have repeated on various occassions and did not change and probably never will, but this particular issue seems to be blown out of proportion. How can one blame a groom for saying that he found love with his future wife? If anything, I suppose you can blame him for being cheesy and kitch-romantic but well... even that is normal so shortly before the wedding.

Anyway, it will blow over indeed, most likely in a day or so, when the press has found another reason to bash Pss Madeleine for marrying a foreigner.
Old 06-02-2015, 01:34 PM
Serene Highness

Haha

When the King was a young Crown Prince / King the media atmosphere was an another than what it is today. In the court under Gustaf VI Adolfs leadership it was expected of you that you should simply be able to handle the media as they had the deepest respect for you. It may sound like bull**** today but back then you was expected to just "have it in your blood" simply because of your position.

Well everyone back then hadn't the deepest respect but it was a totally different media atmosphere then than it is today. Carl-Gustaf have always been nervous, shy and reluctant to be King even though he has known it since birth that he would be and from the age of 1 that he would be very early in his life. His dyslexia didn't help him either and the understanding of dyslexia wasn't exactly great during his youth and you didn't got the help you needed (even though his father and many elder ancestors also suffered).

The thruth is that Carl-Philip and Madeleine haven't got the same education and preparation as Victoria even though the court has told from their childhood that they would get if something would happen to Victoria.

As you said Marengo this will be blown over in a couple of days when the press has "returned to" bash Madeleine and Chris for something they have done or haven't done.
Old 06-02-2015, 01:34 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessRulz View Post
Haven't seen this posted yet:

Queen Sonja, Crown Prince Haakon and Crown Princess Mette-Marit, and Princess Märtha Louise and Ari Behn will attend the wedding from Norway.

From the calendar on Kongehuset.no
I had guessed that Haakon & MM, and ML and Ari would attend. But im surprised the queen is going as well.
Who can resist a good party
Old 06-02-2015, 01:53 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by polyesco View Post
I had guessed that Haakon & MM, and ML and Ari would attend. But im surprised the queen is going as well.
Who can resist a good party
It is odd that both Queen Sonja and Queen Mathilde will attend (without their respectives husbands) when neither Sonja nor (at that time) Paola attended Madeleine's wedding. It may be just a coincidence, but it seems to highlight CP's prominent position within the Swedish royal house compared to Madeleine's.

I wonder now if there will be any Spanish royal attendance also, although I'm not expecting it.
Old 06-02-2015, 01:58 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

IIRC at the time it was said that Pss Madeleine wanted a relatively low-key wedding. This was represented in the guest list too. I doubt there is much difference in prominence between the position of the no. 3 and no. 4 in line.
Old 06-02-2015, 02:11 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
IIRC at the time it was said that Pss Madeleine wanted a relatively low-key wedding. This was represented in the guest list too. I doubt there is much difference in prominence between the position of the no. 3 and no. 4 in line.

Madeleine will move further down the line if CP has any children, but I guess the point is not so much that CP is # 3 and Madeleine is # 4, but rather that CP was born the Crown Prince of Sweden (before that title was taken away from him) and is still the most senior agnate in the Bernadotte dynasty after his father. In fact, he will be technically the head of the family when his father passes away, even if Victoria becomes the monarch instead.

Incidentally, taking about the difference between being # 3 and #4, Prince Andrew's and Prince Edward's weddings come to my mind.
Old 06-02-2015, 02:22 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
That is true but if they really wanted a low key guest list they wouldn't have sent invitations to the Imperial court of Japan, my hypothesis is that they sent invitations to all the reigning courts, as one does for these sort of events, but no one for some reason or another, was available to represent Belgium, Spain and The Netherlands, whereas this time round the Belgian crown could be represented
Old 06-02-2015, 03:44 PM
Courtier

Anything known whether Greek royals will attend and if yes who of them?
Old 06-02-2015, 06:44 PM
Serene Highness

I wonder why he spent ten years with Emma, as he said this in an interview recently:
Quote:
– Jag kanske inte har känt kärlekens magi innan Sofia, sa Carl Philip.
(I might have not felt the magic of love before Sofia). That makes him look like a user of women, to be with someone without having any true feelings for her.
Old 06-02-2015, 08:05 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meraude View Post
I wonder why he spent ten years with Emma, as he said this in an interview recently:
(I might have not felt the magic of love before Sofia). That makes him look like a user of women, to be with someone without having any true feelings for her.
I don't know, he might have thought that what he felt was love, until he met Sofia and realised the true feelings
Old 06-02-2015, 08:23 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meraude View Post
Perhaps he hadn't felt the feelings he feels for Sofia before he met her? I disagree that it makes him look like a womanizer – it is possible to be more in love with one person than with someone else, especially with the person you've chosen to marry. But I must say, I don't know that it was the most considerate thing for him to say because it does make it sound like he loved Emma less.

Old 06-02-2015, 08:36 PM
Courtier

For me, it's obvious he loved Emma less, otherwise he would've married her.

Princess Isabel (1846-1921), Princess Imperial and Regent of the Empire of Brazil, after she signed the Golden Law, in 1888, abolishing slavery in Brazil.
Old 06-02-2015, 08:37 PM
Heir Apparent

As Prince Charles infamously said, "Whatever in love means". I think it means different things to different people, and at different stages in their lives, and it changes over time.

Lets face biological fact: that intense desire to be with the other person that humans feel at the beginning of a relationship has a lot to do with the drive to mate and breed, and when you're in the grip of that sort of lust, pure physical attraction can over-ride other factors that relate to long-term compatibility.

And there will undoubtedly be more than one person out there with whom each of us could have a happy long-term relationship as long as all the planets remain aligned and nothing intervenes to break you up. Many marriages end after 10 years, so maybe CP and Emma's relationship was just not strong enough to last longer. I'm fairly sure that if they spent 10 years together, each of them felt love for each other at some stage. It's just that all the factors that are required to bond a couple together for the long haul and the deeper commitment of marriage weren't present.

I don't think that by any stretch of the imagination does the fact he spent 10 years with one woman and didn't marry her, make him a user of women. At least not unless he was tomcatting around on the side during that relationship, and, if he was, I'm not aware of it.

I'm not at all surprised that a couple of weeks before his wedding, CP has made a comment about now finding true love with his bride. I'd actually be surprised if he didn't say something like that. Seems perfectly reasonable to me and rather endearing.
Old 06-03-2015, 12:18 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty91charmed View Post
IMO that was a cheap shot at Emma, even if I think she doesn't care and has her family to mind... "he has experienced what true love is with Sofia"... well he had been in a relationship with Emma for ten years, not ten months... that meant nothing for him then? Sure, they both have moved on but ten years of life can't be reduced to a infatuation. I think Emma wouldn't talk of an important previous relationship as not true love like this... if you know what I mean
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty91charmed View Post
It would have been better if he had said that Sofia is his "soul mate" rather than "true love" then... No one would have noticed a snarky shot I think... It wouldnt have been read as a discredit of ex partners IMO.
I have to agree, Marty91charmed. The comment popped out at me, too. Ten years is no flash-in-the-pan. Something about it speaks to many things, like a lack of gallantry, but maybe there is a need to placate his current flame? Possible.
Old 06-03-2015, 01:17 AM
Heir Presumptive

Anyone consider that maybe Emma feels the same way about her husband and there really is no bad feeling there? She's remained close to his sister. They see each other. It may not have been a shot at her, might just be how things are, and that's ok.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Closed Thread

Tags
carl philip, prince carl philip, sofia hellqvist, wedding