The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 07:12 PM
Courtier

My opinion is not valid because I am not a Dutch subject, but giving the consort a lesser title makes it seem as if the marriage is morganatic or something. The situation would be similar to that of Morocco...since "Queen" has been the accepted courtesy title for the wife of a king throughout the Christian world for centuries, it seems strange to change that now. Since Maxima already acquired the title of Princess through marriage, what is the harm of moving her up to queen? It doesn't have to mean she has any political powers--the courtesy title idea sounds fine.

Old 05-01-2007, 07:39 PM
Aristocracy

True....it also seems like if the marriage was only to produce a heir to the throne. I hope that she will get the title of Queen. I think she would make a really good one as well.

Old 05-01-2007, 07:45 PM
Serene Highness

I think Maxima should be titled Queen of the Netherlands as the spouse of the King. That being said, I understand the desire to make everything equal for both sexes. But surely Maxima deserves some sort of elevation upon Willem's ascension to the throne as well? Why not follow the somewhat unorthodox decision of Charles and Camilla and refer to her as HRH The Princess Consort, lest she be muddled in with every other Princess of the Netherlands.
Old 05-01-2007, 08:02 PM
Courtier

I've seen this debate before in TRF...let's just wait and see, ok?
Old 05-02-2007, 06:18 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

It is not clear that Camilla will be HRH the Princess Consort. Nothing has been decided about it and I think it will be unlikely, especially considering that the general opinion on the Duchess of Cornwall has softened.

I would be surprised if any major political party would seriously suggest that Maxima should not become Queen. I can already see some of our newspapers screaming on the headline that politician X is robbing Maxima of her title :). The RF is a no-go area for politicians these days.
Old 05-02-2007, 07:50 AM
Heir Apparent

if I understood Henri right, then Maxima will be elevated to a higher title: from princess Maxima of the Netherlands to "The" princess of the Netherlands. Am I right? will there be only one "The Princess of the Netherlands" then and that is the spouse of the king? But in that case it's just a play with words: instead of "queen" "The princess" is used and both mean "spouse of the male souverain"

What annoys me is the fact that they won't grant the title of "Majesty" to the spouse of the king. Why should she only be a Royal Highness and he is "His Majesty"?
'To dare is to lose one step for but a moment, not to dare is to lose oneself forever' - Crown Prince Frederick of Denmark in a letter to Miss Mary Donaldson as stated by them on their official engagement interview.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:02 AM
Administrator

We won't know if she will become The princess of the Netherlands. For men it certainly was the case. The Prince of The Netherlands was the husband ofg the reigning Queen. For now there is no The Princess of The Netherlands, but maybe Maxima could be styled like that in the future. I don't expect that btw, HM Queen maxima of The Netherlands seems more likely.

I don't know if they will or will not style Maxima as Majesty. It seems likely that it will be HM Queen Maxima, Queens Wilhelmina-Frederica, Anna, Sophie and Emma were all majesties.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:50 AM
Royal Highness

Majesty / Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo of Palatine
if I understood Henri right, then Maxima will be elevated to a higher title: from princess Maxima of the Netherlands to "The" princess of the Netherlands. Am I right? will there be only one "The Princess of the Netherlands" then and that is the spouse of the king? But in that case it's just a play with words: instead of "queen" "The princess" is used and both mean "spouse of the male souverain"

What annoys me is the fact that they won't grant the title of "Majesty" to the spouse of the king. Why should she only be a Royal Highness and he is "His Majesty"?
If the spouse of His Majesty The King of the Netherlands will be styled Queen Máxima, then her form of address will be 'Her Majesty'.

If the spouse of His Majesty The King of the Netherlands will be styled The Princess of the Netherlands, then her form of address will be 'Her Royal Highness'.

That is not so strange at all but quite often done.
See HRH Prince Claus (spouse of Queen Beatrix).
See HRH Prince Bernhard (spouse of Queen Juliana).
See HRH Prince Hendrik (spouse of Queen Wilhelmina).
See HRH Prince Philip (spouse of Queen Elizabeth II).
See HRH Prince Henrik (spouse of Queen Margrethe II).
See HRHPrince Félix (spouse of Grand Duchess Charlotte).
See HRH Prince Albert (spouse of Queen Victoria).
Etc.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:05 AM
Heir Apparent

Specially those politics who doesn't like her or her father's past.

So she will be HM Queen Consort or HRH Princess of the Netherlands (if it happen).

If she become just a HRH Princess Consort she will be:
HRH Maxima Princess of the Netherlands or
HRH Princess Maxima, Princess of the Netherlands or
HRH the Princess Consort, Princess of the Netherlands
or what???

But the HM Queen-Consort sounds better
Old 05-02-2007, 09:08 AM
Administrator

She would be HRH The Princess of The Netherlands. But indeed HM Queen Maxima of The Netherlands is preferable.
-

It has little or nothing to do with politicians not liking Maxima's father. It is more a matter of sex equality.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:10 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo
We won't know if she will become The princess of the Netherlands. For men it certainly was the case. The Prince of The Netherlands was the husband ofg the reigning Queen. For now there is no The Princess of The Netherlands, but maybe Maxima could be styled like that in the future. I don't expect that btw, HM Queen maxima of The Netherlands seems more likely.

I don't know if they will or will not style Maxima as Majesty. It seems likely that it will be HM Queen Maxima, Queens Wilhelmina-Frederica, Anna, Sophie and Emma were all majesties.
Old story,nothing new,she will be Queen Máxima and nothing else I'm sure.Anything else is dutch getrut.A handfull of,so-called,politicians trying to re-invent the wheel,or to profile themselves for lack of nothing else to do.There is NO serious discussion nor will be nor a need too.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:11 AM
Aristocracy

If they wish for Maxima to be titled Queen OK, but make sure when Amalia becomes Queen that her husband becomes King of the Netherlands too.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:14 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucien
Old story,nothing new,she will be Queen Máxima and nothing else I'm sure.Anything else is dutch getrut.A handfull of,so-called,politicians trying to re-invent the wheel,or to profile themselves for lack of nothing else to do.There is NO serious discussion nor will be nor a need too.
Agreed, especially about the 'getrut' (sort of nagging).
Old 05-02-2007, 09:15 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliana
If they wish for Maxima to be titled Queen OK, but make sure when Amalia becomes Queen that her husband becomes King of the Netherlands too.
Hmz, to evade any discussion on this subject Amalia would be wise to select little Christian as hubby
Old 05-02-2007, 09:16 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliana
Nonsense Juliana.You miss the point that the woman follows the man in the (courtesy)titles department and NOT the other way around.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:25 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnik
Specially those politics who doesn't like her or her father's past.

So she will be HM Queen Consort or HRH Princess of the Netherlands (if it happen).

If she become just a HRH Princess Consort she will be:
HRH Maxima Princess of the Netherlands or
HRH Princess Maxima, Princess of the Netherlands or
HRH the Princess Consort, Princess of the Netherlands
or what???

But the HM Queen-Consort sounds better
Her father's past and private feelings of politicians are totally irrelevant as the titulature is completley based on the Act on the membership of the Royal House 2002.
The titles of the children of Prince Friso and Prince Constantijn are based on this Act (Article 9) .
The loss of the title 'Prince of the Netherlands' for Prince Friso is based on this Act (Article 8).
The present title of Máxima is based on this Act (Article 8c).

There has never been a 'Prins-Gemaal' (Prince-Consort) or a 'Koningin-Gemalin' (Queen-Consort) in the Netherlands. The three male spouses to Queen Wilhelmina, Queen Juliana and Queen Beatrix were 'De Prins der Nederlanden' (The Prince of the Netherlands).

According the Act on the membership of the Royal House 2002, article 6, second part, at A, the female spouse to the King will have the title 'Prinses der Nederlanden' (Princess of the Netherlands).

According the Act membership Royal House 2002, article 6, second part, at C, the female spouse to the Prince of Orange has the title 'Prinses der Nederlanden' (Princess of the Netherlands).

That is what can be objectively checked black on white. People nagging about 'break with tradition' conveniently overlook that there already IS a break with tradition as Máxima is NOT 'de Prinses van Oranje'. All her predecessors were.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:27 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henri M.
If the spouse of His Majesty The King of the Netherlands will be styled Queen Máxima, then her form of address will be 'Her Majesty'.

If the spouse of His Majesty The King of the Netherlands will be styled The Princess of the Netherlands, then her form of address will be 'Her Royal Highness'.

That is not so strange at all but quite often done.
See HRH Prince Claus (spouse of Queen Beatrix).
See HRH Prince Bernhard (spouse of Queen Juliana).
See HRH Prince Hendrik (spouse of Queen Wilhelmina).
See HRH Prince Philip (spouse of Queen Elizabeth II).
See HRH Prince Henrik (spouse of Queen Margrethe II).
See HRHPrince Félix (spouse of Grand Duchess Charlotte).
See HRH Prince Albert (spouse of Queen Victoria).
Etc.
I think Queen Maxima
Old 05-02-2007, 09:28 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucien
Nonsense Juliana.You miss the point that the woman follows the man in the (courtesy)titles department and NOT the other way around.
Shouldn't you have used this in your post? Are you actually being serious in describing my post as being "nonsense"?
Old 05-02-2007, 09:36 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUEENECE29
I think Queen Maxima
I back my statements with an Act, approved by both Chambers of the States-General and signed by Her Majesty herself on May the 30th 2002.

What is the backing for your expectation?

Article 6
The title «Prince (Princess) of the Netherlands» can, by Royal Decree, exclusively be granted to the following members of the Royal House:
a. the male spouse or the female spouse of the King; - 1 -
b. children born in a marriage of the King; - 2 -
c. the male spouse or the female spouse to the Heir Apparent; - 3 -
d. children born in a marriage to the Heir Apparent. - 4 -

-1- this situation does not exist at the moment
-2- see Prince Willem-Alexander, see Prince Friso, see Prince Constantijn
-3- see Princess Máxima
-4- see Princess Catharina-Amalia, see Princess Alexia, see Princess Ariane
Old 05-02-2007, 09:36 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo
Hmz, to evade any discussion on this subject Amalia would be wise to select little Christian as hubby
Grinning...If she would Alexia would be Queen in due time,both Amalia and Christian are (Heriditary-)Heirs to their Kingdoms,it's either one or the other,but she would have to give up either her position as future Queen or her love for Christian..But I don't think that will happen,plenty of choices...

Hope I live to see.