Princess Ingrid Alexandra's confirmation: August 31, 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
wow, they really announced that with a lot of anticipation! i wonder who the godparents for the confirmation will be - is it likely the same as the christening ones?

The godparents chosen at baptism are the godparents for life.

New / additional ones are not selected for Confirmation.

I-A is blossoming into beauty, just like her Belgian counterpart Elisabeth.;)

ETA: Confirmation is a religious Sacrament instituted by the Apostles. How does one transform it into some type of non religious ceremony? What is the point of that? Why bother at all if you are not religious?

Even a quinceanera is NOT non religious. It includes a religious ceremony(Mass)in a church presided over by a priest, followed by a big party

Last edited:
Confirmation is not about coming of age,

According to Scandinavian tradition confirmation is about coming of age. It's a celebration that you're old enough to confirm that you adhere to the faith that your parents had you baptised in. Confirmation was traditionally the moment when you reached adulthood.
I've never heard of nonfirmations in Sweden, but I've been to a few in Denmark where, as Muhler said, it's all about celebrating that you've reached that certain age and the gifts. Lots of gifts. Confirmations themselves seems to have a much bigger significance in Denmark (and I imagine in Norway) than in Sweden.

:previous:
That's correct.

The confirmation is a big thing in DK, and I assume in Norway as well.
Traditionally it was also the official end of the childhood. For the boys visually symbolized by no longer wearing short pants but "adult" full length pants.
It was also around this age most left school and started an apprenticeship or left home for domestic service or went to sea or simply started working as a menial worker.
Some, the most qualified, went on for another three years in a higher level of school, in preparation for high school or business school.

This ended around 1960 or so, but it's still a big occasion today, although the religious significance has taken second place, if it even has a place at all.
My own children opted for nonfirmations, so they were celebrated by family and friends - and showered with gifts, the spoiled little critters.
But apart from that there was no change in their status, as there was beforehand.

According to Scandinavian tradition confirmation is about coming of age. It's a celebration that you're old enough to confirm that you adhere to the faith that your parents had you baptised in. Confirmation was traditionally the moment when you reached adulthood.
I've never heard of nonfirmations in Sweden, but I've been to a few in Denmark where, as Muhler said, it's all about celebrating that you've reached that certain age and the gifts. Lots of gifts. Confirmations themselves seems to have a much bigger significance in Denmark (and I imagine in Norway) than in Sweden.

It is the same here in Germany. And after you had your confirmation you have been ablle to became a godpaarent.

As for a non religous ceremony in the German Democratic Republic there used to be a Jugendweihe an staat ceremony.

So no confirmation for a white-tie gala, right? Just the confirmation date, am I right? Can't wait for August to come, I think Ingrid Alexandra will be beautiful.

About the exact date, I think it's a very good date. King Felipe will be on vacation in August, the Spanish Royals always do. So he won't have an excuse not to attend, and if he doesn't attend, I will be very disappointed. Poor girl, she has a godfather that she saw probably once on her life (I recall Crown Princess Victoria's wedding).

EDIT: Also, I was thinking about something. I don't much about Haakon's confirmation, but did any of his royal counterparts attended the evening event? I would love to see all of the "main" royal kids together for once before they all grew into adults.

Me too. Hope he brings the whole family to an outing. I could be wrong but I haven't seen Leonor and Sofia brushing shoulders with other royal children. This makes me excited. It will be fun for the royal kids.:D

It are the same godparents you don't geed new ones at a confirmation. Lets hope this time all of them will attend. At her christening both Felipe and Frederike where absent.
It will probably be a big affair as at Haakon and Märtha Louise's confirmations there was also a white tie Gala in the evening.

I thought that in the Norwegian Church there had to be new people to be the Confirmation sponsors.

Princess Ingrid Alexandra with her parents today as she was accompanied by Crown Prince Haakon when walked the last stretch of the old pilgrim route along the coast of 5 counties to Nidaros as part of the preparations for her confirmation on 31 August

https://ap.mnocdn.no/images/c29ee7d1-2f74-4fbc-8259-30de57bf5a74?fit=crop&q=80&w=980
https://ap.mnocdn.no/images/1f16b10e-c9ea-4896-953e-9902733b5921?fit=crop&h=810&q=80&w=1440

https://www.aftenposten.no/norge/i/...d-Alexandra-pa-pilegrimsferd-til-Nidarosdomen
Thanks! :flowers:

Preses of the Norwegian Bishops' Conference, the 69-year-old bishop, Helga Haugland Byfuglien (English Wikipedia article - link), said this to NRK on Saturday:
(BTW: One can see her to the left in the first photo, while the woman to the right is Ragnhild Jepsen, Dean of Nidaros Cathedral.)

''They wanted this tour to Nidaros to be part of The Princess' preparations for the confirmation later this summer. The idea of The RF was that The Princess should experience walking as the pilgrims did, looking down towards Nidaros (on her way down to Nidaros Cathedral, she means) and arriving here today with the family to get to know this very special church and holy place.''

Read about the pilgrim route in English here: 1 - 2.

And to those who wonder about the name Nidaros:
1. Was the medieval name of Trondheim when it was the capital of Norway's first Christian Kings.
2. And again from January 1st, 1930. But after widespread opposition to the name, it was restored back to Trondheim by The Storting on March 6th, 1931.
3. Is the name of the modern Lutheran diocese of Trondheim (''The Diocese of Nidaros'') since the Protestant Reformation in 1537, which ended ''The Roman Catholic Diocese of Nidaros'' (established in 1068 and elevated to Archdiocese in 1152).

Read more in this English Wikipedia article (link).

Byfuglien also said she was looking forward to showing The Princess around the Cathedral, which she did when the latter arrived there with The Crown Prince after having walked for four hours. The Crown Princess OTOH was already present, waiting for them.

''We will walk together (around Cathedral, she means) and have stops at important points such as the baptismal font, the octagon and the Sámi altar. Along the way, we will talk and tell her about this church and how our churches are organized. I am open to questions and I hope it will be exciting and educational.''

And yesterday, The CP-family attended a service there after having spent the night at the state-owned Royal residence *Stiftsgården* in Trondheim (English RH-article about the place - link).
Post by Iceflower in the ''Current Events'' thread (link).

--------------------

About Nidaros Cathedral (Nidarosdomen), the world’s northernmost medieval cathedral and Norway’s national sanctuary:

Lots of information in English here at the Cathedral's own website, where one can see shorts films, including one from the air (link).

English Wikipedia article (link).

Photos:

Outside: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4

From the Nave looking into the Choir (link).

The Choir: 1 - 2

The Nave: 1 - 2

Yes, it's a gothic masterpiece and, in my Norwegian opinion, without doubt the most impressive church-building in The North. And it isn't just Norwegian experts/people who are saying it, because I've heard both Danish/Swedish experts in architecture and tourists say the same thing.
So yes, a building we in the Nordic countries should be really, really proud of.

The Cathedral's modern connection with Norway's own independent Royal Family:
*The coronation of King Haakon VII and Queen Maud in 1906.
*The Consecration of King Olav V in 1958.
*The Consecration of King Harald V and Queen Sonja in 1991.
*And celebratory events such as the wedding of Princess Märtha Louise and Ari Behn in 2002 and The Regent-Couple's Consecration-Jubilee (25th Anniversary) in 2016.

English RH-article on coronations/consecrations (link):
[...] Article 12 of the Norwegian Constitution of 1814 established that the King was to be crowned and anointed in Nidaros Cathedral.

[...]

In 1908 the Article on coronation was stricken from the Constitution as the coronation ceremony came to be regarded as undemocratic and archaic. The Storting voted by a large majority to repeal the Article.

Thus, when King Haakon VII died in 1957, there was no basis in law for a coronation in Nidaros Cathedral. This did not, however, mean that there was any prohibition against holding such a ceremony in Nidaros Cathedral, if the new King so desired.

King Olav V possessed profound historical insight and was imbued with a strong sense of tradition. Therefore, he expressed a personal desire to be consecrated in Nidaros Cathedral to receive God's blessing upon his royal office. In his decision to be consecrated, King Olav V laid the foundation for the continuation of a tradition with roots going back to the hailing by the Øreting assembly and the coronations of the Norwegian kings from 1163 to 1906.

On 23 June 1991, King Harald V and Queen Sonja continued the consecration tradition in a ceremony also held in Nidaros Cathedral. [...]
Will the future King Haakon VIII also chose to be consecrated? Well, he will be the first monarch since the independence in 1905 to not be head of the church upon his accession, but the rumours are that he will go through with it anyway.

Why? Probably due to:
1. Tradition.
2. CP MM's ''strong'' personal Christian faith (which is also most likely why The Crown Prince and Ingrid went out on their little pilgrim-tour).

BTW: Read about how it affected The RF when The Church of Norway ceased to be the state-church in post 12 & 20.

--------------------

Confirmations themselves seems to have a much bigger significance in Denmark (and I imagine in Norway) than in Sweden.
The confirmation is a big thing in DK, and I assume in Norway as well.
Yes, and whether one is confirmed in The Norwegian Church (which a record-low 56% chose to do in 2018), in a humanistic way (which a record-high 18% opted for, read about how it's done in post 20) or in another way (as the rest did, i.e. in another church or in a nonfirmation), it's celebrated with a big celebratory dinner for family/friends (including grandparents, uncles/aunts, cousins, etc) where one is given a LOT of money.
And it's VERY common to use *bunad* (English Wikipedia article - link) if you're female and suit if you're male.

-------------------

I thought that in the Norwegian Church there had to be new people to be the Confirmation sponsors.
No, in The Church of Norway, the godparents don't even have a role when it comes to confirmations.

Last edited:
Thanks, Royal Norway. :flowers:

Which means we can expect to see Ingrid in a bunad.
Interesting the boys don't wear the regional/national costume, given the Norwegian fondness for traditional attire on festive occasions.

And that is a seriously beautiful cathedral, inside and out!
Someone clearly went to England and France and had a look around there, or they got a French or English master-builder to oversee the whole thing.
That style is markedly different from Danish (and I believe Swedish as well) cathedrals.
But Norway was still a fully independent kingdom when Nidaros Cathedral was build.

ADDED:
I cannot resist adding this beautiful photo of the cathedral: https://media2.trover.com/T/5b22c7676c7034d840001c96/fixedw_large_4x.jpg

Last edited:
What an incredible photo, Muhler. You can definitely see the non-Norway elements, and yet, there is a distinct flavor of something other than England, France or Germany. Lovely.

And Ingrid Alexandra in a bunad is something to look forward to seeing.

Is it expected of the NRF, and as such also Ingrid, that they are Christian?
Or at least adhere to the Christian rituals and attend church at Christian holy days?

The constitution says that the King must be a member of the Evangelical Lutheran church. I take that as meaning that the King and, by the extension, the Crown Prince are expected to be Christian.

Yes, that would be great. ?
Christian and Ingrid and I'm sure Amalia too know each other well.
Not so sure how well Haakon and Mette-Marit and as such their daughter, know the Belgian and Spanish royals though.

Isn't Queen Mathilde one of Princess Isabella's godmothers ? I am pretty sure they met privately when Philippe and Mathilde were in Denmark for the Belgian state visit.

On that very bad TV movie about Frederik and Mary's courtship, it was mentioned that Frederik was with Felipe and Märtha Louise (among other royals) on the night he first met Mary in Australia. I don't know if that is true, but, if it is, it suggests that they knew each other as young men.

I don't think Frederik's children or Haakon's children have ever met the Belgian or Spanish royal kids though.

Any details on the gala dinner and who might be invited ?

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous: Thanks.

I do seem to remember reading somewhere that Isabella was on a kind of royal sleep-over in Belgium a year or two ago.
I guess she went with her mother on a private visit.

:previous: Thanks.

I do seem to remember reading somewhere that Isabella was on a kind of royal sleep-over in Belgium a year or two ago.
I guess she went with her mother on a private visit.

Yes, From the Belgium State Visit to Denmark a few years back

The Belgian RC confided that they see M&F privately regularly, and that Queen Mathilde had seen her goddaughter, Isabella, both at this visit but also on previous private visits to Belgium by M&F and children.
:flowers:

Which means we can expect to see Ingrid in a bunad.
You're welcome! :flowers:

Yes, we will most likely see her in bunad (under her confirmation robe) during the service in The Palace Chapel. And in a gown for the gala dinner in the evening.

-------------------

Interesting the boys don't wear the regional/national costume, given the Norwegian fondness for traditional attire on festive occasions.
Adults: Although the number is rising, in 2013, there was still only one in five men who were in possession of a bunad, compared to two in three women.
Why? Probably because most men don't bother to spend between $2,000-10,000 on a costume.
Confirmands: Most parents won't even dream about using that amount of money on something their 15-year-old boy sees as ''uncool'' and which he will grow out of after a few months.

BTV, those who can't afford to buy one for their girls have started to opt for a so-called cheaper ''China bunad'' (made in China). - Which has caused concern among bunad-experts because they fear it may undermine the authenticity and the desirability of the bunads.

--------------------

And that is a seriously beautiful cathedral, inside and out!
Someone clearly went to England and France and had a look around there, or they got a French or English master-builder to oversee the whole thing.
That style is markedly different from Danish (and I believe Swedish as well) cathedrals.
But Norway was still a fully independent kingdom when Nidaros Cathedral was build.
The present cathedral is built over periods between 1140-1320 in Romanesque and Gothic style, and yes, most of the inspiration is taken from England. And with the exception of a few other surviving medieval ones, most large stone-cathedrals/churches in Norway today were built during the union with DK and Sweden and are therefore similar in style to those in these two countries.

Another thing to mention is that Nidarosdomen (in contrast to other Norwegian cathedrals/churches, which are taken care of by the municipalities), is maintained by the state through *The Nidaros Cathedral's restoration works* (NDR), which is under the auspices of The Ministry of Culture and consists of 70 employees. Yes, it costs around 70 million NOK a year, but we're talking about Norway’s national sanctuary and ''The Nordic countries' most impressive Church building'' here (some even say it gives the cathedrals in the UK, France, Germany, Spain and Italy a run for their money). So, in most people's opinion, money well spent!

Read more about NDR (which this year celebrates their 150th anniversary) in English here: 1 - 2
Today the Restoration Workshop has about sixty employees divided between actual restoration and publicity, which promotes the facility’s historical value through guided tours and special events for about 400,000 visitors every year.
This English site isn't updated, so it's the number I wrote above that is the right one.

BTW: The building to the right of Nidarosdomen in this photo (link) is The Archbishop's Palace from the 13th century, where The Crown Regalia is displayed.

Read in English here: 1 - 2

Photos: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4

It was ravaged by fire in August 1983 and irreplaceable monuments and historical material were lost. And yes, it almost spread to the cathedral. :ohmy::ohmy:

NRK-video (link).

The cause was never found.

--------------------

The constitution says that the King must be a member of the Evangelical Lutheran church. I take that as meaning that the King and, by the extension, the Crown Prince are expected to be Christian.
Yes, Article 4 in the Constitution still says (after His Majesty's own wish) that ''The King shall at all times profess the Evangelical-Lutheran religion,'' which in reality means the heirs as well.
Explained it in detail in post 12.

Last edited:
So 20 % of Norwegian men and 66 % of women own a Bunad? That's an impressive number!
At what age do Norwegians generally acquire a Bunad?
I imagine there are quite a few hanging around in closets that have... shrunk?
(Something to do with the air-density, I'm told.)

Of course, the Head of the norwegian lutheran church, as the King was until the church reform in 2012, had to be christian...!:whistling:;)

Any details on the gala dinner and who might be invited?
Godparents and other foreign royals: No, not yet!
But we can expect news from the various Royal House-calendars to come a bit out in August - and a guest-list from the court in Oslo a few days prior to the day itself.

Media access to Princess Ingrid Alexandra's confirmation, published at The RH-website on July 5th (link).

Translated by me: ''There will be a pool covering the confirmation service. The pool consists of NRK (TV and web-TV) and NTB Scanpix (still-photo). Writing pool consists of NRK, TV2, NTB, Aftenposten, VG and Dagbladet.

Photo pool at the subsequent luncheon consists of NRK (TV and web-TV) and NTB Scanpix (still-photo).

At the Palace Square, a separate area for accredited press will be set up.

Further information on The Princess' confirmation will be given later.''

Well, it looks like the service and the subsequent luncheon will be televised (much like her christening).
What I still don't know is whether it will be the whole thing or just parts of it.

And will there be a white-tie gala-dinner at The Palace in the evening, such as we saw with Haakon in 1988? Hmm, after reading the above-stuff, I will say the chances for that are pretty slim! So my guess is on a private black-tie dinner at Skaugum.

--------------------

So 20 % of Norwegian men and 66 % of women own a Bunad? That's an impressive number!
Yes! But as I wrote, that was in 2013, so it's probably even higher now.

--------------------

At what age do Norwegians generally acquire a Bunad?
1. More and more girls are getting one for their confirmation, which causes those who don't (due to their parents' lack of money to buy one) to ''feel different and left out.'' Been several stories in the media about it.
2. A few adults still fit into their confirmation-bunads (with some adjustments) and continue to use it throughout their lives.
3. Those who don't, or never got one for their confirmation, but want one as adults? Well, as soon as you have enough money (after one turns 18) to buy one.
Some also inherit theirs from their grandparents, and get it fitted to their own size, which is also quite expensive.
You can also buy the fabrics with instructions (pretty expensive that too BTW) and sew it yourself. But it's a ''heck of a job (about 100-300 hours),'' so most people will need the help of their mother and other family members, and at least one in the group needs to be an experienced sewer to manage it. - A bunad-course is also very helpful.

--------------------

I imagine there are quite a few hanging around in closets that have... shrunk?
(Something to do with the air-density, I'm told.)

Yes, but according to the various bunad-shops, ''in some cases, it's just the owners who have gotten bigger.'' LOL.

BTW: The insurance company ''IF'' has calculated the total value of bunads around Norwegian homes to be worth about 40 billion NOK (yes, I wrote billion).

Last edited:
Thanks Royal Norway. :flowers:

So the confirmation will be well-covered. As can be expected when it's the heir.

Traditional outfits are indeed insanely expensive. We are also talking genuine silver-buttons here! And that in an attire from a period where many buttons were a status symbol.

Thanks Royal Norway. :flowers:

So the confirmation will be well-covered. As can be expected when it's the heir.
You're welcome! :flowers:

Oh yes! And as I've written in other threads, we're at a stage here now where NRK and TV2 have even started to broadcast some of the ordinary day-to-day engagements. So I think we can safely say that the Norwegian media were always going to go ''gaga'' over the confirmation of the future monarch.
The question, however, was and is how much access they will be given by the court.

--------------------

Traditional outfits are indeed insanely expensive. We are also talking genuine silver-buttons here! And that in an attire from a period where many buttons were a status symbol.
A bunad also consists of a hand-made silver (or gold) jewellery known as ''sølje'' (photo-link).
You can get a new one to under 1000 NOK, but if you want something proper, well, at least 2000!

And while they today is used to show impressiveness; in ancient times, silver was worn on clothing as protection against bad weather and underground mythological creatures. Yes, even on unbaptized infants, to protect them from being taken by unchristian powers. LOL.

--------------------

Oh this makes me really excited!!!
With the exception of the white-tie gala-dinner thing, yes, me too! But I guess with The Crown Princess' illness and stuff, that it will be easier (after a busy day at The Palace in Oslo) to just take the evening privately at Skaugum.

We have something to look forward to then. ?

So we are talking in the order of between 200-300 $ for that silver adornment alone.

No wonder highwaymen were a genuine fear, certainly in Sweden, but presumably also in Norway. Preying on peasants in their finest attire on the way to or from market, riding their carriage through a landscape like this for kilometer after kilometer: https://naturguide.dk/wp-content/uploads/skovtur_ulveland.jpg
My brother-in-law who is into ancestral history found a journal from the early 1700's of a couple of male relatives who went to market in Göteborg (Gothenburg) IIRC. They were not feeling too secure, so they brought a pistol with them. Even today, many stretches in western Sweden look exactly like the picture.

In DK it was part-time pirates who were a problem. Well into the 1700's actually.

Last edited:
I hope they will release some info soon. Can't wait for August 31st to come! Let's cross fingers and hope all of her godparents attend the event!

I am also waiting for the release of another update. Yes, 100% percent attendance of the godparents is a must and I hope they can bring their family with them too, especially the Spanish RF.

Will King Philip VI of Spain and Crown Prince Fredrik of Denmark also be present? Hope so.

I´m pretty sure the danish CP couple will attend. Hope they will at least bring Christian and Isabella with them! Christian is right at Ingrid´s age, Isabella quite and they are old enough to attend family functions like these.

I hope that Crown Princess Victoria will at last bring Prince Daniel with her and not attend alone.

Nice to hear this. It would've been nice for Estelle to attend too particularly if there may be other younger royals there (yes, I know she's slightly younger than the other heirs, but it would still be nice chance for a European heir "meet up") - but Victoria going is enough for me to be satisfied with!

Great news! Who knows if Estelle is going or not, I don't think the Swedish court announces the King's grandkids names on the agenda. It would be nice if Victoria took Estelle.

I'm still hoping Frederik and Felipe will attend. I think Frederik and Mary will for sure. Not sure about Felipe and Letizia, never is certain with them, especially now that they are the King and Queen of Spain.

Really nice to see Crown Princess Victoria's attendance thats one of her godparents,only 3 to go!

Really nice to see Crown Princess Victoria's attendance thats one of her godparents,only 3 to go!

3? I thought only Felipe and Fred are in question. The other 3 godparents are Harald, Martha Louise and her maternal grandmother. I would think they were a given.

I'd be surprised if the Danish royals didn't attend. The three Scandinavian royal families are so close to each other.

Felipe we will have to see. Since he missed the baptism, it would be nice for him to make it to her confirmation at least.

Nice to hear this. It would've been nice for Estelle to attend too particularly if there may be other younger royals there (yes, I know she's slightly younger than the other heirs, but it would still be nice chance for a European heir "meet up") - but Victoria going is enough for me to be satisfied with!

The Swedish and Norweigan royal families often holiday together and attend events. Estelle knows the Norweigan royal kids quite well.

Considering how close her parents are to Fred and Mary, she likely knows the Danish kids quite well too.

I doubt Felipe will bring his daughters if he comes, and there isn't likely to be any other heirs there.

Back
Top Bottom