The Duchess of Cornwall names Cunard liner "Queen Victoria": December 10, 2007

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jo of Palatine

Heir Apparent
City
Munich
Country
Germany
The Duchess of Cornwall names Cunard liner "Queen Victoria": December 10, 2007

Well, the Duchess of Cornwall will be back on the public stage next monday, dec. 10th.:

Monday 10th December 2007

The Duchess of Cornwall will name the Cunard liner The Queen Victoria at the City Cruise Terminal, Southampton, Hampshire.
The Prince of Wales, President, The Prince’s Trust and The Duchess of Cornwall will meet volunteers and young people during a reception on board The Queen Victoria, City Cruise Terminal, Southampton, Hampshire.

(From the official website of the PoW and the DoC. )

I guess the POW and his wife are enjoying a nice little pre-Xmas holiday without the media knowing about it.

"I guess the POW and his wife are enjoying a nice little pre-Xmas holiday without the media knowing about it."

Hardly - on Monday 3rd Prince Charles was in Birmingham visiting the staff & wounded soldiers at the military hospital - 1 of his many visits. By Wednesday he had moved to Sandrignham where according to the court circular he held a meeting for his newly established Prince's Teaching Institute and today Thursday he is due to lead a whole day tour of a building development in Northampton. That only leaves Friday for a day off. Of course it goes without saying that none of the above got any tv or newspaper coverage. In fact the whole 5 days in Turkey barely got any mention in the papers or on tv.

Last edited by a moderator:
Skydragon--you've returned! Good to have you back--

Now back to Camilla--I'm looking forward to this Cunard Liner Launch--what a wonderful moment for her!

Is this a pre-Christmas visit or are they already in residence?

It´s only a short visit at Sandringham, i think. Charles had some duties there, and they will return to duties till Christmas. Both Charles and Camilla will have a full diary the next two weeks.:flowers:

Duchess to name a queen

Cunard´s 900,000- tonne linner Queen Victoria arrived at home port yesterday for her official naming on Monday by the Duchess of Cornwall.

Duchess to name a queen - Times Online

a pic of the ´Queen Victoria´:
POLFOTO - altid med i billedet

Last edited:
Pics 10.12.2007

Britain's Camilla, the Duchess of Cornwall and Prince Charles tour
the ship's bridge during a visit to the Cunard liner Queen Victoria,
in Southampton, England Monday, Dec. 10, 2007. The Duchess officially
named the ship and met volunteers and young people during a reception
on board the ship.

Camilla looked wonderful in blue :flowers:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 **

Wow. Talk about classically perfect. I love this outfit, it's perfect for a ship launch and Camilla looks very at ease. So far, the Duchess has toured the ship and has unveiled the plaque of the Royal Box in the theatre. She's also sounded the liner's whistles and is now on her way to launch it.

As I am usually impressed with what Camilla wears, I must say that I am not a fan of this outfit nor the color of it. It completely reminds me of the late Queen Mother and her "blue outfits" that she used to wear.

Ah but Camilla is launching a 'Queens' ship so emulating the Queen Mother isn't a bad thing in this case. HRH has already been likened to the QM several times so it sort of makes sense that she'd bring her fashion style into the 21st century.

Well, the bottle didn't break. So how long before Richard Kay makes some smart alec remark about the spirit of Diana preventing the smash? Why do these things happen? It's a glass bottle and a big boat - how can it wrong?

the second pic of iceflowers is breathtaking, she looks beautiful Wow great photo. what an honor and POW looks so pleased, can he smile any bigger ;). the outfit does remind me of the Queen mums a bit but it's fitting for the event. i'm convinced she has a good figure and like her in more flattering styles that show off her waist and legs, this is a little "matronly" for my taste, but she looks lovely, she's so radiant if she was younger we'd be wondering if she was expecting a royal bundle

The outfit does evoke the memory of the Queen Mother; Camilla looks wonderful, not sure about the hat though, and she looked a little shapeless in the outfit, but she looks radiant and Charles, well, I can't remember such a big smile on his face!
LOVE her shoes; we've seen them before-they're so nice.

The light blue outfit of Duchess of Cornwall fitted her fine. I did not like the headpiece. Such headpieces look fine when worn by a younger generation of Crown Princesses such as Mary or Maxima. In my very personal opinion, a hat would have suited better.
Ah but Camilla is launching a 'Queens' ship so emulating the Queen Mother isn't a bad thing in this case. HRH has already been likened to the QM several times so it sort of makes sense that she'd bring her fashion style into the 21st century.

It completely reminds me of the late Queen Mother and her "blue outfits" that she used to wear.

It is to be regretted that Queen Mother did not wish to see Duchess of Cornwall as a suitable match for her grandson…

Well that'd take us wildly off topic but actually the Queen Mother was very supportive of Charles and his relationship with Camilla.

Well, the bottle didn't break. So how long before Richard Kay makes some smart alec remark about the spirit of Diana preventing the smash? Why do these things happen? It's a glass bottle and a big boat - how can it wrong?

Really? Arf it's not good at all. Indeed we can expect the worse from some future headlines...

Not being known for my praise of the Duchess, I'd like to record that I think her outfit is rather nice. I love that colour on her, and the smaller headpiece is much better suited to the confines of being on board ship than some of her very large brimmed hats would have been.
(I'm now going to retire to a quiet, dark room to recover...... :shock: )

The outfit reminded me of some of the dresses the queen, the queen mother and Princess Margaret used to wear sme twenty years ago. Can't say I like it but I found the big smiles of both Camilla and Charles very touching. :flowers:

As for the bottle not breaking: I wonder why Cunard did not invest in a "Ship launch"-bottle of champagne. The sparkling gas in champagne is so powerful, champagner is normally packaged in extraordinarily stout bottles who are made to not smash or explode! Thus, you can order for ship launches (even for the launch of your canoe or rowing boat) special bottles - bottles that break. Of course they need careful handling before the launch... :D

I loved this outfit, so summery, just what was needed on a freezing but sunny day. I think the paler colours look so much nicer on Camilla! :flowers:

I found this on smashing a bottle over the bow - The practice of breaking a bottle of wine over a ship's bow was introduced by the British navy in the late 17th century as a cost saving measure! Previously the ships were baptized with a "standing cup" of precious metal, which was then promptly thrown overboard. - When Anne launched one of the America's cup yachts and of course The Duchess of York (later Queen Mary), both failed to smash the bottle. What a waste anyway, I much prefer my friends idea, which is to pop the cork, pour one glass over the hull and drink the rest! :lol:

Camilla will have her own place in history now, as the only non reigning monarch to have launched a Cunard Queen!

Last edited:
Danke iceflower!:flowers:

Here are some more pics:

Camilla waves from the stage at Southampton Docks

Camilla with Captain Wright

Camilla and Charles on the stage with the Captain and the crew

Last edited:
Firstly, although the Christmas card isn't really Christmassy I like it because it obviously has some sentimental meaning to C&C so for that reason I respect that.

Secondly, how amazing did the Duchess look today? I think she looked lovely - the colour and classic style suited her perfectly.

I think the Duchess looked great today. Light blue is not one of my favorite colors either but on her it works. (She also looked good in this color in Uganda). So far the press doesn't seem to be making a big issue of the bottle not breaking. A fairly nice article in today's Daily mail. Dec. 10 2007
Title: 'Charles and Camilla mischief on new Queen Victoria cruise ship as Duchess blows whistle'.

In this picture, it looks as though she is 'tasting' the champagne and is not that impressed! :D

I thought she shows to the Captain the size of a salmon she fished in the river Dee... :lol:

You must not be a prophet to know today´s top stories of the D.... Mail and co...It saves much of time to ignore these kind of boring journalism...:cool:

It was perhaps fortunate that christening planners had Plan B in effect; as the ritual bottle of Champagne lay flat on the hull just beyond the giant V for Victoria, a young crew member on deck whipped out a spare and did the honors successfully by hand, the old fashioned way.

Cruise Critic News: The Duchess Christens Queen Victoria

I'm positively impressed by Camilla's appearance.
The outfit was perfect and the colour suited the Duchess very much. It was pretty 'Queenly', and it did remind me of the outfits, worn by the late Queen Mother, and the Queen herself.
I'm not yet sure about the headpiece. I need to get used to it.

The reporter is claiming Camilla's "booming" voice sounds like a baritone who smokes twenty cigarettes a day. The tone of the article is somewhat negative and bitchy, eg "the curse of Camilla", "the voices of doom were quick to draw significance...", "a Duchess's unfortunate few seconds."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom