The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > British Royals > The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-01-2005, 01:01 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
What gives anyone the right to comment on their personal lives? What gives anyone the right to say that succession should be changed because he divorced his wife?
Freedom-of-speech laws do. Within the context of those laws, the board rules allow it.

Old 11-01-2005, 01:02 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Marmalade

But, put yourself in Camilla's Jimmy Choos for a moment. After everything that has happened, after being vilified, hated, threatened, teased, ridiculed, had thrown things at and so on....would you really want to sit there as an equal on the throne as Queen consort with all the craziness that will come with it?
Why not? It will be Camilla's victory--victory over all the haters and teasers. The law entitles her to that position, and Camilla is to become the Queen Consort, the Princess Consort business having been quietly dropped in the next few years, unless Charles ascends the throne in the near future.

Old 11-01-2005, 01:05 PM
Royal Highness

No no, I think you misunderstood me....what I mean is, NOT that she does not have the legal right, but, she just may want to sit out of the spolight in that respect and just do what she wants to do, which is continue to support the Prince of Wales.

She deserves the be Queen as that is her legal right....I am not saying anything about that at all.

I just feel she maybe thinking she has been through hell and back and survived it...why add more to it?

That is why I am able to understand her desire to be called Princess Consort, even though legally she is the Queen when he ascends to the throne.
Old 11-01-2005, 01:21 PM
Nobility

Quote:
That is why I am able to understand her desire to be called Princess Consort, even though legally she is the Queen when he ascends to the throne.
Maybe it is her genuine desire to be Princess Consort; but maybe it was a PR move to stave off criticism.
Old 11-01-2005, 01:28 PM
Royal Highness

That is true. We will know for sure when he takes the throne...
Old 11-01-2005, 04:14 PM
Gentry

Quote:

Would it make much difference? She will still be by his side, still exposed to the press.
Old 11-01-2005, 04:36 PM
Royal Highness

Nope, I sure hope not. I would think the reverence of the position of Queen would lead the press to back off more though.
Old 11-01-2005, 04:37 PM
Imperial Majesty

I'm sure the press will be able to spin it so it looks unfavourable whatever she does. If she takes on the duties of Queen they'll be saying that she isn't worthy, and if she doesn't they'll be saying that she's a sponger. If negativity sells papers, they'll find something negative to say.
Old 11-01-2005, 04:42 PM
Royal Highness

That is the sad but true part of the position. The idea of being damned if you do and damned if you don't...

I think part of what has given Charles a renewed sense of self esteem, which according to what we have all read at some point, is Camilla is perfectly happy to let him shine and have the spotlight on him. He appreciates that and has needed that.

His famous remark in regards to Diana and the walkabouts early on..

"I have come to the conclusion it would be better to have two wives, one for each side of the street, and then I can walk down the middle directing everything."

Tongue in cheek on his part to say it. But I like Camilla for the fact she wants to be only supportive and not grasping for popularity.

Charles never had much self confidence and I think that has done him a world of good.
Old 11-01-2005, 04:58 PM
Imperial Majesty

Well, fair do's, Diana couldn't help being young and pretty. The pattern was set early, and if it had been Camilla in her place back then, who knows what mischief the press might have got up to. Diana really only started deliberately upstaging Charles when she realised the press were enabling her to do it.
Old 11-01-2005, 05:05 PM
Royal Highness

The one thing I think has been such a low blow..is to criticize someone for their physical features in a very cruel way and mocking manner. That if anything has to be the most painful to hear.
Old 11-01-2005, 05:09 PM

Re:

Quote:
Diana really only started deliberately upstaging Charles when she realised the press were enabling her to do it.
If you seriously believe this then fine but with all due respect, I find that statement to be ridiculous. Diana was doing it from day one. Betty Boop eyes, the Geisha pose, the fluttering eyelashes, the innocent facade. She did all that to take away from other members of the Royal Family. She'd done it at home with the Spencers and she tried to do it with the Windsors. And in the end she became unstuck. She just had to be the centre of attention.
Old 11-01-2005, 05:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

Diana did not start doing it from the start. Be rational Beatrixfan. Diana knew what she was getting into and the attention surrounding her but I dont think she become press savy and hungry until she completly realized how much power the media had and the influence she had. It is a low blow to call someone unworthy because of their looks. I think the duchess looks lovely. Like a nice english lady with fun latin interior.
Old 11-01-2005, 05:53 PM

Re:

Quote:
Diana did not start doing it from the start. Be rational Beatrixfan. Diana knew what she was getting into and the attention surrounding her
I am being rational. She did it from the very beginning. Many people who knew her in her youth have said what a show-off and what a spoilt brat she could be. She was on the world stage now and she was most definately going to play up to the Cameras and be THE princess.

Quote:
It is a low blow to call someone unworthy because of their looks.
When did I do that then?

Quote:
I dont think she become press savy and hungry until she completly realized how much power the media had and the influence she had.
If you play with fire expect to set your hat ablaze.
Old 11-01-2005, 06:08 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Wellesley
never forget it was purchased at the cost of so much heartache to Diana.You seem very certain that public opinion will change towards Camilla? I'm not,she is not Queen Consort material, and I doubt she ever will be.Camilla and Charles should do the decent thing and retire from the line of succession, making it clear the throne goes to William on this Queen's death.That way the House of Windsor might have a chance of survivng the damage these two extremely selfish people have caused it.

Very astute comments Mary!! BRAVO!!!

Camilla is not Queen Consort material in my opinion either. To best sum up my feelings I wish to quote Christopher Wilson from The Windsor Knot:

And Camilla? So determined is Charles to marry his greater love that a remarkable whitewash job, connived at and involving the British Press, i sunder way at the time of this writing (2002). History has been rewritten in Fleet Street so as to conveniently forget that the woman who may, one day, sit beside Charles at his coronation was also the woman who used a honey trap to lure her former lover back into her bed, once her first ambition in life, to marry a calvary officer, had been achieved. . . Married to a Roman Catholic, she was, more than most, aware of the dangers involved in the route she chose to take--NOT FROM A MORAL STANDPOINT, BUT FROM A PURELY PRACTICAL ONE. Once she had the besotted prince back in her grasp, it made the task allotted him--to find a suitable bride--well-nigh impossible. He only had eyes for Camilla. SHE DID NOTHING TO PUSH HIM AWAY. (pp 9).

The point is, no matter who the woman was, there was no hope for this woman when she married Charles unless she was willing to put up with these loveless shams.
Old 11-01-2005, 06:12 PM

Re:

This is the sort of ridiculous press that people must be totally daffy to believe. What on earth has her marrying a Roman Catholic got to do with anything? All you're doing TiaraPrin is quoting a section from a book that tells us that there were affairs, Diana died and Camilla and Charles married. Whats new in that and what is it supposed to prove?
Old 11-01-2005, 06:14 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
This is the sort of ridiculous press that people must be totally daffy to believe. What on earth has her marrying a Roman Catholic got to do with anything? All you're doing TiaraPrin is quoting a section from a book that tells us that there were affairs, Diana died and Camilla and Charles married. Whats new in that and what is it supposed to prove?
You didn't read the quote very carefully I can surmise and also, it is your opinion that this author is "daffy". Actually, his book exonerates no one. Obviously, you haven't read it.
Old 11-01-2005, 06:16 PM

Re:

It tells us that Charles and Camilla are getting married, in the authors opinion it's an attempt to push Diana out (hello, the womans dead) and that Charles had an affair with Camilla when she was married to APB who happened to be a Roman Catholic.

Thats not new. Its old news and information churned up and spat out in a new text.
Old 11-01-2005, 06:22 PM
Royal Highness

Or....you can surmise that any other woman who married him other than Camilla may have had to deal with the same issues....
Old 11-01-2005, 06:23 PM

Re:

Again, old news that has been played out time and time again.

Tags
british royal family, camilla, duchess of cornwall, relationships