Prince Charles and the Environment

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There is a consensus about anthropogenic climate change. I do not dispute this statement.

Your list of references suggests otherwise.

"Many details about climate interactions are not well understood, and there are ample grounds for continued research to provide a better basis for understanding climate dynamics." I happen to believe that the devil is in the details. Even the grandest project depends on the success of the smallest components. The main question of what to do about the climate change has not been answered yet.

As with many other things, this is one which can't afford to wait till every last detail is known before people do things to try to remedy the situation. For one thing, the conditions aren't static so scientists are always playing catch-up. If we don't try to come up with remedies in the near future, it'll be too late. We've spent years being told that we need more research, by governments which have been busy cutting funding for research and pulling the plug on ongoing research projects. If high-profile campaigners like Prince Charles decide to shine a bright light on this institutionalised dishonesty, then more power to them.

Of course, any rich and privileged person is running the risk of being labelled a hypocrite if he takes on the role of champion of environmental issues or remediation of poverty. But that in many cases is just one of the tactics of people who don't want to see anything done about these issues. Yes, in many ways Charles, Al Gore, and other rich, influential people are being hypocritical. That doesn't make their ideas about the issues wrong.

"Let us see what the future may bring upon us" is all I can say at this point in time.

I didn't mean to suggest that people who don't have to worry about paying the bills aren't affected by living on this planet.

I'd humbly suggest, though, that to a mother or father who can barely (or can't) feed his or her family, climate change isn't an immediate concern.

"Reality" never protected anyone from environmental consequences. :nonono:

Pics 18.2.2009

Britain's Prince Charles, Prince of Wales, the patron of the The Cambridge University
Programme for Sustainability Leadership, addresses representatives at the launch of
the World Travel and Trade Council's "Leading the Challenge on Climate Change" report
at Clarence House, February 18, 2009 in London.

The WTTC is the forum for business leaders in the travel and tourism industry, was
established in 1990 and with Chief Executives of some one hundred of the world's
leading travel and tourism companies as its members. WTTC works to raise awareness
of travel and tourism as one of the world's largest industries, employing approximately
231 million people and generating over 10.4 percent of world GDP.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

I didn't mean to suggest that people who don't have to worry about paying the bills aren't affected by living on this planet.

I'd humbly suggest, though, that to a mother or father who can barely (or can't) feed his or her family, climate change isn't an immediate concern.
If you had read and understood my full quote you would see that to me it is just as important as feeding my family, for obvious reasons . . . . . and, that my opinion, humble or otherwise, does not make breathing easier! Clean air can and does!!
Heavens! I too must live in a different reality if that is the case. However, I still worry about the environment in general and air quality in particular because whilst I breath the same air as everyone else in the city, only a few end up in hospital on oxygen every now and then. Myself included! :ermm:
My children, fed or otherwise, are just as at risk! Right here and right now, in 2009! And for that very reason I stated the following;
marg said:
"Reality" never protected anyone from environmental consequences. :nonono:
In other words, we start small, we do what we can to improve the quality of our air, our food and our future. If it helps in some small way to help with the fight against global warming, well then, all the better.

On a personal note, one season without ending up in Emergency would be a personal triumph. :)

In the UK that shouldn't happen with the benefits system but I do have contact with people that would rather spend their money on alcohol and cigarettes than buy fruits or vegetables, let alone pay the extra for organic or locally grown versions. Even they are concerned that the environmental changes we have seen over the last year or two, (flooding, drought), have pushed the price of basic foodstuffs up. The hosepipe bans that saw those that try to grow their own, loose all the vegetables they were trying to grow, were down to global warming IMO.

The difference in air pollution between London and the Highlands is very marked, especially in the summer months when their are so many tourists in the capitol. :flowers:

smart move

Prince Charles is a very forward thinker. This is a smart move.

The Sultan of Sokoto, Alhaji Mohammed Sa'ad Abubakar and the Prince of Wales, Prince Charles, have agreed to revitalise the long standing fraternal, cultural and traditional relationship that existed between Nigeria's traditional rulers and the British Monarchy, which thrived during the colonial days.

allAfrica.com: Nigeria: Sultan, Prince Charles Pledge to Revive Cultural Ties (Page 1 of 1)

I was referring to people who live barely sustainable lives e.g. People who live in the third world.

My husband has asthmatic bronchitis, and so I'm sympathetic to your health concerns.:flowers:

If you had read and understood my full quote you would see that to me it is just as important as feeding my family, for obvious reasons . . . . . and, that my opinion, humble or otherwise, does not make breathing easier!

I wonder how Charles justifies/reconciles the extremely fuel-ish cruises around the Greek Islands that his wife takes. Science Daily reports that the ship she uses consumes 2,400 gallons of fuel daily. Thats 16,800 gallons for the week plus the private jet to get to the boat. How many trees must one plant to offset 16,800 gallons of fuel, plus the jet? It would be a lot more effective if Charles and his wife actually walked the walk as opposed to just talking the talk. It's one thing if he/she/they are travelling on behalf of the crown, but this is a vacation I'm talking about.

I wonder how Charles justifies/reconciles the extremely fuel-ish cruises around the Greek Islands that his wife takes. Science Daily reports that the ship she uses consumes 2,400 gallons of fuel daily. Thats 16,800 gallons for the week plus the private jet to get to the boat. How many trees must one plant to offset 16,800 gallons of fuel, plus the jet? It would be a lot more effective if Charles and his wife actually walked the walk as opposed to just talking the talk. It's one thing if he/she/they are travelling on behalf of the crown, but this is a vacation I'm talking about.

I remember reading at the time that the Prince himself is no fan of these cruises. In fact, Charles is reported to have cut down on the number of skiing trips he takes with a view to reducing his carbon footprint.

:previous: Scooter, That's easy, millions of trees are planted each year to offset travel costs and not just for TRH. Most campaigners continue to take holidays, they just put their money where their mouths are! :rolleyes: You also talk of cruises, she has only been on a couple (as holidays) since she married Charles.

Prince Charles is set to deliver a stark warning about the effects of climate change today during his official tour of South America

Climate Change: Prince Charles To Deliver Stark Warning About Effects Of Deforestation In Brazil | World News | Sky News

Charles will repeat the prediction made by experts that there are around eight years in which to act before the damage caused by global warming becomes irreversible

Back
Top Bottom