Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

Pics 11.9.2009

Prince Charles, Prince of Wales speaks during a Climate
Change Conference at the MET Office Headquarters on
September 11 2009, Exeter, England.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** gettyimages **

Old 09-11-2009, 01:05 PM
Heir Apparent

I would like to listen to Prince Charles' speech.

Iceflower, I like the photos.

Here a few photos from Belga Gallery:

http://i29.tinypic.com/wklfms.jpg
http://i31.tinypic.com/2zth9ig.jpg

BelgaPicture - Category details

Old 09-22-2009, 05:20 AM
Imperial Majesty

The Prince of Wales has enlisted 500 leading international companies to back calls for concerted action on climate change ahead of a major summit on the global warming crisis

Prince of Wales enlists 500 companies to help fight climate change - Telegraph

Shell, BP, the energy suppliers EON and EDF, Coca Cola, eBay, Starbucks and Virgin are among the household name companies which have been persuaded by the Prince to sign a communique calling on world leaders to commit to cutting emissions worldwide by at least 50 per cent by 2050.

It might be difficult to take coming from a man who owns Jaguars, Range Rovers and an Aston Martin, but the Prince of Wales’s foreword to the UK Green Building Council’s Building for the Future campaign is absolutely spot on. People should be encouraged to leave their cars at home, and it’s down to the planners and developers of our towns and cities to make it happen.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/technol...ht-about-cars/
Old 10-10-2009, 04:28 AM
Imperial Majesty

The countryside means different things to all of us. For some, it is a place of beauty and tranquillity - somewhere to go to escape the stresses and strains of urban life, to be closer to Nature and enjoy our wonderful landscapes. For many of us, it is a place to live and work. But whatever our relationship with rural Britain, we surely all agree that it is one of the greatest treasures of our nation.

HRH The Prince of Wales: 'The countryside is in crisis. The stakes could not be higher' - Telegraph

Writing in today’s Daily Telegraph, the Prince says isolated communities, which already struggle to make a living, face an “immense handicap” without the ability to promote their goods or download information through websites and email.

Prince Charles warns of a countryside left in 'broadband deserts' - Telegraph

A Swiss tycoon friend of the Prince of Wales has been forced to hire his own team of private investigators after raiders stole quad bikes and off-road vehicles used for Royal shooting parties.

Prince Charles' friend 'forced to conduct own theft investigation' - Telegraph
Old 10-12-2009, 07:24 AM
Heir Presumptive

I liked this:

In Britain we are rapidly losing what is left of our local culture. When we finally wake up and find it all gone, it will not be possible to reinvent it – or 'grow' it in a test tube. The countryside is a living, delicate organism that must be nurtured because agri-"culture" should be exactly that – a subtle blend of a production system with a profoundly important psychosocial component. The stakes could not be higher. Perhaps, at the end of the day, it is worth remembering the words of the great French writer, Antoine De St-Exupery: "Only he can understand what a farm is, what a country is, who shall have sacrificed part of himself to his farm or country, fought to save it, struggled to make it beautiful. Only then will the love of farm or country fill his heart." ....
Old 10-13-2009, 02:26 PM
Imperial Majesty

Addressing the IGD conference via video link, Prince Charles said: ‘We stand at a critical juncture in encouraging consumers to act on climate change.'
He highlighted the need to produce more goods in the UK and combat the ‘destructive' use of palm oil.

Prince Charles urges supermarkets to face sustainability issues - Marketing news - Marketing magazine

PATIENTS at a hospice have a garden bursting with colour and tranquility to sit and relax in thanks to the help of people and businesses in the community.
It has taken a number of years to complete as the George Thomas Hospice called upon people to help them transform their garden from a building site into an oasis

WalesOnline - News - Wales News - Oasis of calm with royal connections opens up at last
Old 10-15-2009, 05:10 AM
Imperial Majesty

Plantlife, the conservation charity, said more than 500 rare wild plants are in danger of dying out in Britain including may lily, pasque flower and lady's slipper orchid. Plants like box, snake's head fritillary and corn cockle, that are cultivated in gardens, are now seldom found in the wild.
The latest flower to go extinct was the ghost orchid, a delicate white flower that has not been seen in the British countryside for more than 20 years.

Prince Charles calls for more protection for British wild flowers - Telegraph
Old 12-15-2009, 01:31 PM
Super Moderator

Earth at the brink - Prince Charles | News.com.au

Human exploitation of the Earth's resources has pushed it "to the brink" and the planet has reached a point of crisis that can only be resolved with global action, Prince Charles warned today.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:43 PM
Courtier

Prince Charles has told the Copenhagen Climate Change/ COP15 Summit that there are only 7 years left for action against global warming, amongst other things. See his speech here -
Old 12-16-2009, 10:03 AM
Moderator Emeritus

A very brilliant speech of the Prince of Wales, very committed with the climate change and nature.
Btw, allow me to say that Prince Charles is a very good speaker!

Old 12-16-2009, 04:54 PM
Heir Apparent

I fail to understand why namely 7 years are left for actions against the global warming. It would have been nice of Prince Charles' part to explain who calculated the number "7" and how it was done ... and, of course, the only solution to stop deforestation is "to make trees worth more alive than dead". The UK is rich enough to pay certain countries. However, I do not see China providing financial incentives to any country.
To wander on in a huge forest without thought of return. To stand upon the shore and gaze after a boat that disappears behind distant islands. To contemplate the flight of wild geese seen and lost among the clouds.
And, subtle shadows of bamboo on bamboo." Zeami Motokiyo
Old 12-17-2009, 01:25 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paty View Post
A very brilliant speech of the Prince of Wales, very committed with the climate change and nature.
Btw, allow me to say that Prince Charles is a very good speaker!
I'll second that. I can only hope that people will finally listen to him and start trying to do something!

Old 12-17-2009, 04:05 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Monaco and Sweden

The Prince of Wales delivers a speech at a conference for representatives
from The Prince's Accounting for Sustainability Forum, at Clarence House,
London, December 17, 2009

** Pic ** belga gallery **
Old 12-20-2009, 02:12 AM
Super Moderator

Prince Charles blazes trail as sun king - Times Online

The Prince of Wales is preparing to become a future “sun king” by placing solar panels on the rooftops of Clarence House, his London home, to generate his own electricity for heating and lighting.
Old 12-21-2009, 08:07 AM
Commoner

That'd be really good if they will let him. He really tries to do his bit. I think he is a marvel!
Old 12-21-2009, 09:24 AM
Heir Presumptive

Personally, I would be more inclined to take him seriously on the subject if he were to more actively practise what he preaches. It's all well and good for him to speak in Copenhagen; but given that he travelled there in a private jet (as did many other attendees) it makes me take what he says somewhat less seriously. Its been all over the media here about so many of the attendees coming in by private jet and travelling about in limosines. With the technology we have today, that whole 'summit' could have been done by video conferencing, which would have saved a huge amount of energy.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:32 AM
Heir Apparent

If you have an "academic" style conference where people present papers, you could certainly consider having some of it electronically. However if you are talking about a "summit" where various people meet and hammer out a deal (and certainly one that involves as many interested parties as this one), physical presence is definately required.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
Personally, I would be more inclined to take him seriously on the subject if he were to more actively practise what he preaches. It's all well and good for him to speak in Copenhagen; but given that he travelled there in a private jet (as did many other attendees) it makes me take what he says somewhat less seriously.
Thats actually quite a disingeneous statement, IMO.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:23 AM
Heir Presumptive

I think Prince Charles is great, he seems genuine to me.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:01 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Switched-on Prince Charles wants solar panels on Clarence House roof | Mail Online

Good for him
Old 12-21-2009, 11:27 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
Personally, I would be more inclined to take him seriously on the subject if he were to more actively practise what he preaches. It's all well and good for him to speak in Copenhagen; but given that he travelled there in a private jet (as did many other attendees) it makes me take what he says somewhat less seriously. Its been all over the media here about so many of the attendees coming in by private jet and travelling about in limosines. With the technology we have today, that whole 'summit' could have been done by video conferencing, which would have saved a huge amount of energy.
I'm sorry but I think there must be a limit to how many people you can have at a video conference at any one time. I know that the Prince offsets his carbon emissions from what I have read in the papers. So how could you get all the ministers from all the countries together to try to find a solution. These things are not just one person from each country anyway, so how else could it be done and would it get the publicity and bring it to the attention of as many people? I get the feeling it wouldn't matter what the Prince did, you would find fault, which is sad really.

Tags
environment, global warming, prince charles, prince of wales