Charles as King: Choice of Regnal Name

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:previous: as a foreigner i often already have problems in keeping track who "chas", "phil" and "wills" are ;)

Wills is pretty definitely William D of Cambridge. I dont know anyone else who has ever been givene this nickname, in Royal circles.

Denville, When you use the name "Chas" (you tend to do that more often in posts I have noticed) I have to think who it is...
Yes, I know from the context that it is P.Charles, but the name "Chas" is not that obvious for non-english people

:lol:

Sorry Lee, I am not a fast typist, so I do use abbreviations. its a well known abbreviaton for Charles, iin England, and as I dont think any other royal is called Charles I thought ti was Ok.. I'll try and write it in full

Denville, When you use the name "Chas" (you tend to do that more often in posts I have noticed) I have to think who it is...
Yes, I know from the context that it is P.Charles, but the name "Chas" is not that obvious for non-english people

:lol:

Chas and Phil (and Cam) can be mind bogglers. It is that I am acquainted with the general attitude of abbreviating names, else I wouldn't have guessed for the life of me that we're talking about The Prince of Wales, The Duke of Edinburgh and The Duchess of Cornwall.

Wills is easy (for me), he was known as Wombat Wills in his youth.

I think Charles called him "Wills" once or twice and the papers stuck with the name. And sorry I cannot type out Camilla duchess of Cornwall etc. in the UK people call them "Phil" or Charles.. etc...
I dont like a disrespectful nickname, but an abbreivation is OK IMO.

:previous: I believe even Diana herself called him Wills, though I'm not sure about that. Is The Duke of Edinburgh really called Phil? I've never heard about it and I've followed The British Royal Family on and off for years. If so, I've learned something new.

The Duchess of Cornwall is also abbreviated DoC here (whereas The Duchess of Cambridge -also DoC- is abbreviated DoCa).

:previous: I believe even Diana herself called him Wills, though I'm not sure about that. Is The Duke of Edinburgh really called Phil? I've never heard about it and I've followed The British Royal Family on and off for years. If so, I've learned something new.

The Duchess of Cornwall is also abbreviated DoC here (whereas The Duchess of Cambridge -also DoC- is abbreviated DoCa).

Well not to his face of course, but he was often called "Phil the Greek"... etc. I think that as a baby, yes Diana and Charles called him Wills in public a few times, and "Willie Wombat" and the papers just kept on with it..

Well not to his face of course, but he was often called "Phil the Greek"... etc. I think that as a baby, yes Diana and Charles called him Wills in public a few times, and "Willie Wombat" and the papers just kept on with it..

My favorite though has to be when William got older and his father referred to him as Combat Wombat. LOL

I agree that we should always try and stick to using the full name or the titles of the people we are talking about in posts. It took me a while but I finally started to realize that to get a message across to everyone reading (and a lot of people here do not have English as their first language)to write so that everyone can get meaning from it. Most nicknames were pinned on people by those that know them personally and for the majority of us, I don't think that is the case.

I think that given that so many royals have similar names and even the same titles at times, Nicknames are a way of distinguishing them. Take The Late Alexandra Empress of Russia. She was born Princess Alix.. But became Alexandra when she married Nicholas II. But her aunt, Queen Alexandra, was born Alexandra, and was known In the family as "Alix"..

I still think it'd be so neat and appropriate for Charles to reign as "Charles the Green". It would be uniquely him. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :p

I still think it'd be so neat and appropriate for Charles to reign as "Charles the Green". It would be uniquely him. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :p

It would suit with his intention to be known as "The Defender of Nature".

I think that given that so many royals have similar names and even the same titles at times, Nicknames are a way of distinguishing them. Take The Late Alexandra Empress of Russia. She was born Princess Alix.. But became Alexandra when she married Nicholas II. But her aunt, Queen Alexandra, was born Alexandra, and was known In the family as "Alix"..
As a young child, Empress Alexandra of Russia was nicknamed "Sunny" because of her happy personality - which mostly disappeared after her mother's death. Later on she was either "Sunny" or "Alicky" in the family.

I always get an image of Kermit in a woolly scarf when this comes up!

What if Prince Charles decided to reign as King Louis I to honor his granduncle, Lord Louis Mountbatten?

What if Prince Charles decided to reign as King Louis I to honor his granduncle, Lord Louis Mountbatten?

That would be a very nice tribute but you can only choose one of your given names for your regnal name. Charles Philip Arthur George, Louis is not one.

He can choose any name he likes. It doesn't have to be a name he was given at his baptism. Like everyone else he can change his name by 'deed poll' and so could change his name to Louis, or add it if he wanted to do so.

I don't think Charles would choose a French name. Why do you think neither he or William used louis as a first name for their sons? Because they understood the need for a British name for British heir. Further down the line is another matter. If he chose to honor his Mounbattan side, George would honor both his grandfather and Philip's Uncle.

You fill in a form and legally change your name. It is an old name for the process of changing your name. You no longer have to go to court but simply fill in the form and have the change of name registered (certainly here that is the process).

Its a simple legal procedure, I think it is usualy to change one's name. But ther's no need for Charles to chage his name. If he wanted to call himself King Adrian, he could do so.. there's no law that you have to make a legal change of your name..

I think perhaps Charles may have tossed around using George as his regnal name when he was younger but as time passed and he's been blessed to have his mother still at 90 going strong, he may have come to believe that as far as history goes, the bulk of his contribution to Crown and country will be defined by his work as The Prince of Wales than his reign as King.

Knowing that perhaps his reign will be a relatively short one compared to his mother, I think he will prefer to use his given name Charles rather than define his monarchy by opting to be King George VII and leave that regnal name for his grandson to use in due time should he choose.

King Charles, why anything else? That's what he'll be known "locally" as anyway!

Not if he officially chooses to be known as George VII.. His name will be on the coins, etc. whatever name he chooses is going to be his official name.. an he will be known by it.

If he does choose to use George VII as his regnal name, I bet there will be a lot of people actually rushing to learn roman numerals. They're not that widely used anymore in everyday use. I still make mistakes with my Georges. Besides that, its possible that a whole lot of implications and comparisons being made with his grandson then being George VIII. Henry the VIII was quite the historical figure and so was Edward VIII.

I kind of like a whimsical idea of Charles being Charles the Green and using a frog with it on a coin. Won't happen but I think it'd define Charles well. :D

It will be King Charles and Queen Camilla .....

Probably it will but it is quite possible, that he could be Geo VII or King Arthur, or even King Philip. If He does opt for not being Charles III, I think it would be most likely that he would follow his grandfather nd be G VII

I don't. I think after perhaps 70 years plus that Charles will choose the name he's been known by all those decades, ill-starred as he supposedly once thought it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom