Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall: Visit to Portugal - March 28-30, 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That is because married women in Spain and Portugal do not change their last names when married. Spanish media follows this convention when referring to foreigners therefore Camilla Parker-Bowles, Mary Donaldson, etc.

That is because married women in Spain and Portugal do not change their last names when married. Spanish media follows this convention when referring to foreigners therefore Camilla Parker-Bowles, Mary Donaldson, etc.

That I can understand well enough. What I find boorish is that I've seen the DoC referred to as Parker-Bowles in British articles. Totally annoys me to no end. :eek:

Dirio Digital

This afternoon Prince Charles and his wife planted a rose at the Monserrate Park, in Sintra. But when they were ready to leave the place, they realised that the keys were locked inside the car... Charles and Camilla had to leave Sintra in another car.

Uh oh. Charles and Camilla having a senior moment together?

Who was driving, I wonder.

If that is the case then why are they referring to Camilla as Camilla Parker-Bowles - her first married name - and not by her maiden name of Shand?

If that is the case then why are they referring to Camilla as Camilla Parker-Bowles - her first married name - and not by her maiden name of Shand?

Come to think of it, the surname Charles would use if he needed one at all would probably be Mountbatten-Windsor correct?

Actually women in Portugal DO change their names when married. And they also lose their husbands' surname when divorced.
I think portuguese press refers to them as Camilla and not Duchess of Cornwall, Sophie and not Countess of Wessex, Mary Donaldson, Letizia Ortiz, etc, because portugueses in general are not used to titles, duchess of this, duchess of that, princess of this, princess of that.... (maybe because we're a republic, i don't know), we always use people's names.

And we treat Camilla as Parker-Bowles and not Shand because it was her name when she got married with Prince Charles, right? I think she didn't lose her surname when she divorced. So when she became kind of famous in Portugal she was Camilla Parker-Bowles and we get so used to it that we didn't change it. The same with Letizia. Most people (even the press) still call her Letizia Ortiz and not D. Letizia, Princess of Asturias, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom