Old 10-10-2016, 10:27 AM
Majesty

Diana's will stored in secret warehouse - BBC News

Old 11-14-2016, 01:22 AM
Majesty

Cars used by Princess Diana and Sir Elton sold - BBC News

Old 11-15-2016, 08:55 AM
Imperial Majesty

New Diana exhibition at Kensington Palace opens February 2017 | Historic Royal Palaces

A.W. TOZER
Old 11-16-2016, 01:23 AM
Majesty

The White Garden: Princess Diana memorial garden at Kensington Palace | Royal | News | Daily Express
Old 11-17-2016, 10:11 AM
Heir Apparent

This post could equally belong in the Spencer, Diana Legacy or other threads. Let's not go off topic but stay on the KP theme. Or Mods, move this. Regarding: New Diana exhibition at Kensington Palace opens February 2017 | Historic Royal Palaces
In the interest of fairness, I just want to say, I'm not so sold on this exhibit at KP from Historic Royal Places.
I've read so often on the Spencer thread that the family is just cashing in on her memory. I've read so many people post here that Wills and Harry are offended by what the Spencers have done with her legacy. I know I believe there is more to Royal History than the past 20 years and fashion.
Well, while I understand the timing of this exhibit, I think this can be lumped with said Spencer-ish behavior. If it's bad from the gander, can it be wonderful coming from the goose?
How many exhibits of Diana's fashion have we seen over the years? Did KP need to do one more? Obviously, this exhibit will make money. But the mission of HRP: "Our Cause is to help everyone explore the story of how monarchs and people have shaped society, in some of the greatest palaces ever built."
I guess it just makes me sad to see HRP making what I see as a fairly obvious and well-worn money grab when there is so much other royal history they could be exploring.
Hate on me if you like, I just had to share that. And in the interest of further disclosure, were I in London in March, I would go see KP and I would see this exhibit. I'd still wish it were something else that was new learning and not a rehash of what we have seen over and over for more than 20 years.
Old 11-17-2016, 10:40 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
This post could equally belong in the Spencer, Diana Legacy or other threads. Let's not go off topic but stay on the KP theme. Or Mods, move this. Regarding: New Diana exhibition at Kensington Palace opens February 2017 | Historic Royal Palaces
In the interest of fairness, I just want to say, I'm not so sold on this exhibit at KP from Historic Royal Places.
I've read so often on the Spencer thread that the family is just cashing in on her memory. I've read so many people post here that Wills and Harry are offended by what the Spencers have done with her legacy. I know I believe there is more to Royal History than the past 20 years and fashion.
Well, while I understand the timing of this exhibit, I think this can be lumped with said Spencer-ish behavior. If it's bad from the gander, can it be wonderful coming from the goose?
How many exhibits of Diana's fashion have we seen over the years? Did KP need to do one more? Obviously, this exhibit will make money. But the mission of HRP: "Our Cause is to help everyone explore the story of how monarchs and people have shaped society, in some of the greatest palaces ever built."
I guess it just makes me sad to see HRP making what I see as a fairly obvious and well-worn money grab when there is so much other royal history they could be exploring.
Hate on me if you like, I just had to share that. And in the interest of further disclosure, were I in London in March, I would go see KP and I would see this exhibit. I'd still wish it were something else that was new learning and not a rehash of what we have seen over and over for more than 20 years.
I agree 100%. Is her legacy just her clothes? because thats what this looks like. They could add areas covering her work re HIV/AIDS and lndmine clearance.

I have some sympathy with HRP which is a charity and need to earn money to maintain buildings and conserve treasures but they need to broaden the subject matter.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 11-17-2016, 12:18 PM
Heir Apparent

They have a limited amount of space and a need to have people come to a see a palace that is open all the time and may have already visited. The best way to do this is display famous clothing.

Its not any different than what the royal collection does for their summer opening. The temporary exhibit they put in is usually clothing base. This year was Fashioning a Reign which featured clothing worn by the Queen.
Old 11-22-2016, 01:09 PM
Majesty

Diana's clothing is part of the history of the BRF. As such, it's a legitimate subject for display. Those dresses are works of art.
Old 11-22-2016, 06:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
They have a limited amount of space and a need to have people come to a see a palace that is open all the time and may have already visited. The best way to do this is display famous clothing.

Its not any different than what the royal collection does for their summer opening. The temporary exhibit they put in is usually clothing base. This year was Fashioning a Reign which featured clothing worn by the Queen.
Well, I'm in the midst of a clothing display event and have a reason to differ with this.
I belong to a social group with many couples in it. The Dressing Downton Exhibit is here and some of our members thought it would be fun to see this as a group. So, I've polled people to see if they were interested and if so, when.
Well we will have a robust group of women going as not a single man in the group had any interest. Not everyone is into fashion. As I have learned.
And there are interesting other kinds of topics out there for historic venues. Architectural choices/details/additions/renovations can look not only at architecture but economics, finance, building methods, craftsmanship, politics, etc.
A history of military units, transportation, Royal Warrants or food at KP are things that spring to mind that would be of interest to a wide audience. I am certain there are many more.
Displays of Diana's fashion started before she died. It's time to give it a rest.
Old 11-26-2016, 03:56 AM
Majesty

How Princess Diana could have been Donald Trump's First Lady | Daily Mail Online
Old 11-26-2016, 04:35 AM
Courtier

I imagine Diana had had enough of towers, royal or otherwise by then!

Not that that would stop The Donald!
Old 12-04-2016, 12:14 PM
Majesty

Touching letter from Princess Diana shows how selfless she was - Mirror Online
Old 12-04-2016, 12:46 PM
Imperial Majesty

It's sad to read that she was personally looking forward to 1997, of course, not knowing her life would end in the new year.

Her heart was always with other people.

A.W. TOZER
Old 12-08-2016, 01:31 AM
Majesty

Princess Diana's Bruce Oldfield evening gown could fetch ú70,000 at auction | Daily Mail Online
Old 12-09-2016, 03:02 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post

Museums (and KP is mostly a museum) must put on exhibits that people would like to see.

There's no point in spending staff time and funds to mount a display that not very many people will be interested in.

This is true of many venues. If you work for a non-profit, you quickly learn that certain things are sure-fire money-makers.
(An exhibit on Ancient Egypt, for instance, will always generate a crowd.
Or an art exhibit that focuses on the Impressionists will get more traffic than one focusing on Primitive sculpture).

I'm not trying to exalt one over the other, I'm just saying that is the way it is. If you are going to invest your resources in a costly time-consuming exhibit, you want a decent turn-out.
Old 12-09-2016, 03:41 PM
Heir Apparent

KP basically promotes the royals with ties to the location. The big 2 for KP are Victoria and Diana. An exhibition about Queen Anne isn't going to draw people to the palace and the palace isn't going to put an exhibition about Anne Boleyn and Henry VIII at KP where they have no ties to. That would go to Hampton Court.
Old 12-13-2016, 01:35 AM
Majesty

Princess Diana dress sells at auction for a HUGE price | Royal | News | Daily Express
Old 12-15-2016, 06:28 AM
Majesty

Omission of Princess Diana from Woman's Hour Power List is surprising | Daily Mail Online
Old 12-15-2016, 06:38 AM
Heir Apparent

I don't think it's surprising considering the circumstances (that Camilla launched this initiative.) I do think it's a pity, however.
Old 12-22-2016, 08:38 AM
Majesty

Princess Diana note reveals Prince William's love for Prince Harry | Royal | News | Daily Express

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...y-trouble.html

Tags
diana princess of wales, princess diana