The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-18-2019, 09:15 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
Undisclosed resting place?

Earl Spencer has made it pretty clear where she is buried and there are pics of a mausoleum etc.

LaRae

Yes, but many people feel the princess should have been buried in the consecrated grounds of a church or a graveyard and not "somewhere" on an artificial island in an artificial lake, an island, noone is allowed to step on besides her family. Which would be okay if we had seen pics of them on the island. I hope one day the then king William will have Charles', Camilla's and Diana's ashes/body buried together, maybe officially in Frogmore's cemetary. But it is clear that at the time of Diana's death noone wanted to bury her officially at closed Frogmore cemetary or in a church open to the public, so the "island grave" seemed a good solution.
The Royals and the nobility have always found helpers to keep their secrets and even if people came to learn them, I doubt these people were the ones to sell it to the media including proof.

Old 10-18-2019, 09:30 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
Yes, but many people feel the princess should have been buried in the consecrated grounds of a church or a graveyard and not "somewhere" on an artificial island in an artificial lake, an island, noone is allowed to step on besides her family. Which would be okay if we had seen pics of them on the island. I hope one day the then king William will have Charles', Camilla's and Diana's ashes/body buried together, maybe officially in Frogmore's cemetary. But it is clear that at the time of Diana's death noone wanted to bury her officially at closed Frogmore cemetary or in a church open to the public, so the "island grave" seemed a good solution.
The Royals and the nobility have always found helpers to keep their secrets and even if people came to learn them, I doubt these people were the ones to sell it to the media including proof.

Quite frankly it doesn't matter what 'many people feel' when it comes to her burial. That decision was made by her family (I would imagine her brother, sisters and perhaps some input from the boys) as to how to handle her burial.

If she's buried on the fake island or not...makes not one bit of difference. She's gone, her family knows where she is and that's the only people who need to know.

LaRae

Old 10-18-2019, 09:49 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Quite frankly it doesn't matter what 'many people feel' when it comes to her burial. That decision was made by her family (I would imagine her brother, sisters and perhaps some input from the boys) as to how to handle her burial.

If she's buried on the fake island or not...makes not one bit of difference. She's gone, her family knows where she is and that's the only people who need to know.

LaRae

When we talk about the burial of a public persona, the plans have to include thoughts about what the many mourners think and will want to do. Otherwise there is never any peace possible for the family.

I completely agree with you that it doesn't matter where she is really buried. The right people know and that's all that counts. But just imagine the pressure of the public if they had chosen Frogmore... So it really was the best idea to inform the public as they did and allow for admirers to take a look at the lake for some days each year.
Old 10-18-2019, 02:11 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elan View Post
Imagine the reaction had the brother and estate kept everyone out of Althorp from long ago with no visitors received. He seems to be in a difficult position no matter what decisions are made. It's a little hard to believe the emotional condition for those arriving now are as consumed with grief as the crowd around Kensington palace was in '97. But still, if people who grieve her death are seen crying, even today, that shouldn't be offensive to anyone or her memory.

This is all many years later, and eventually the number of people will greatly diminish. It's a tribute to Diana that people are still interested to visit her.
A lot of the "piles" of the landed gentry and aristocrats are open to the public for tours. It helps to maintain the upkeep of the estate and people are genuinely interested in seeing these homes. Althorp is no different. I can't say when the Earl Soencer first opened his home to the public but I do see where it being Diana's resting place would be a huge draw to the public.

Of course, with Diana's resting place being on an island within the Althorp estate, its been my belief that people could see the island and perhaps get a glimpse of the mausoleum but no one from the public is ever allowed to actually go to that island. This is preserving a peaceful repose for Diana's remains. In fact, I believe its more respectful to Diana and she's left in peace this way than perhaps someone going to Westminster Abbey and being up close and personal with the burial sites of 17 British monarchs.
No law can be sacred to me but that of my nature. Good and bad are but names very readily transferable to that or this; the only right is what is after my constitution, the only wrong what is against it.

~~~Ralph Waldo Emerson~~~
Old 10-19-2019, 05:09 AM
Heir Apparent

I think it is the best place.. her remains are safely in consecrated ground near to her family and her sons and other loved ones can go and visit her grave but not the general public.. I dotn think she would have wanted to be buried with the RF and It is much the best thing to have done what they did...
Old 10-19-2019, 10:55 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
A lot of the "piles" of the landed gentry and aristocrats are open to the public for tours. It helps to maintain the upkeep of the estate and people are genuinely interested in seeing these homes. Althorp is no different. I can't say when the Earl Soencer first opened his home to the public but I do see where it being Diana's resting place would be a huge draw to the public..
Althorp House was first opened to the public by the current earl's grandfather in 1953. Charles often acted as tour guide as a teenager when he was home from school and has written an absolutely beautiful book about the house and its history (and his sister is only briefly mentioned.) The house is open fewer hours now than in his grandfather's or father's days.

Quote:
Undisclosed resting place?

Earl Spencer has made it pretty clear where she is buried and there are pics of a mausoleum etc.
LaRae
Diana's grave on the island is unmarked. The building you are referring to is near the old stable block next to the house.
Old 10-20-2019, 12:57 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
Why would William bury his parents together??? If Charles had been a widower, and remarried Camilla, it may be fitting he be buried with both wives. But he and Diana were divorced.

Unless Charles dies before his mother, he will not be buried at Frogmore. The sovereign is not buried in Frogmore. Save Victoria, every monarch since George III has been buried at St George's. Well except Edward VIII but he abdicated. Charles and Camilla would both be buried there as well. Though non monarchs like Margaret have been interred there as well, I don't see Diana's ashes being moved to be placed there among the kings and queens, and their kids.

The decision was made by Diana's family, and likely her sons included, on where she would rest. No reason to believe they would up and move them later. The family is who matters, not the public who want to 'grieve'.

By the time of King William, the need for constant public grieving should have been long over.
Old 10-20-2019, 11:02 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraS3514 View Post
Diana's grave on the island is unmarked. The building you are referring to is near the old stable block next to the house.
No there is also a building on the island in memory of Diana.

LaRae
Old 11-01-2019, 04:22 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
No there is also a building on the island in memory of Diana.

There may well be one..but it seems less than prominent.

https://duckduckgo.com/?ratb=e&q=Alt...ages&ia=images
Old 11-02-2019, 11:30 PM
Courtier

Quote:
There may well be one..but it seems less than prominent.

https://duckduckgo.com/?ratb=e&q=Alt...ages&ia=images
Earl Spencer has said repeatedly that the vase on the island merely commemorates that Diana is buried there. He has emphasized over the years that the actual grave site is unmarked and only the immediate family knows its exact location.
Old 11-04-2019, 04:27 PM
Aristocracy

I don't live that far away from Althorp. I've lost count of the number of locals who say she's really buried in the parish church at Great Brington.
Old 11-09-2019, 02:03 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durham View Post
I don't live that far away from Althorp. I've lost count of the number of locals who say she's really buried in the parish church at Great Brington.

That sounds like the product of vivid imagination, but I was unaware this Parish held a family tomb inside. Her lineage is easily traced then to the 1500's. We have nothing like that in America. Very impressive.

https://www.explorechurches.org/chur...great-brington
Old 11-09-2019, 02:44 AM
Majesty

Diana's known ancestry goes back further than the 1500's. There are Spencer family vaults there.

There have been rumours for years that Diana is buried in the vaults of the church, and that there was unusual activity very late at night centred around her family church for a couple of days after Diana's funeral. Vehicles coming and going. I remember reading the stories at the time and about villagers being puzzled by it all.
Old 11-09-2019, 03:28 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
Diana's known ancestry goes back further than the 1500's. There are Spencer family vaults there.

There have been rumours for years that Diana is buried in the vaults of the church, and that there was unusual activity very late at night centred around her family church for a couple of days after Diana's funeral. Vehicles coming and going. I remember reading the stories at the time and about villagers being puzzled by the activity.
I believe Elan meant more the family history in that parish area.

Most Americans can trace their ancestry back before the 1500s if they do research, just not in the US, not a parish there. The Spencer family purchased Althorp in 1508, so the family has been in that area and some members buried there for over 511 years.

Her father is among the many members of the family buried in the tomb.
Old 11-09-2019, 02:52 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post

Most Americans can trace their ancestry back before the 1500s if they do research, just not in the US, not a parish there.
Indeed, I'm also not that far from a lovely place called Sulgrave where a certain Lawrence Washington went to live in the C16th. Apparently some members of the family went to live in the new world..............
Old 11-09-2019, 03:00 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
That sounds like the product of vivid imagination, but I was unaware this Parish held a family tomb inside. Her lineage is easily traced then to the 1500's. We have nothing like that in America. Very impressive.

https://www.explorechurches.org/chur...great-brington
The Spencer monuments in the church are an incredible collection. One of the best I have ever seen.

As to the speculation from the locals, I guess that's all it is, just supposition. In the end it's a private matter. Who knows? Who really needs to know in the end apart from her family.
Old 11-14-2019, 03:35 PM

Would I feel less sad in a church or on the island...obviously it does not matter. I plan to go to Althorp Estate and visit what I can. I have read so many books about her, that I no longer feel the need to know every new thing that comes along about her. It took me a while to come to the conclusion that all the Facebook pages are created solely for the gossip and the drama over the highs and lows of her life. The haters and trolls ruin all of them. When I seen an idiot that was just being nasty about her and he had a 'Favorite Fan' icon above his name I realized the admins were not interested in it to be a strictly fan based page I knew I had been duped. Yes, I have read about all of her failings and sometimes childish behavior, but I don't care about any of that as its just immature and improper to dig that far and deep into her life. Writers and researchers interviewed every person ever connected to her to get the good that she did, yes, but to them more importantly to get the dirt on her. So I finally realized that I loved her because she was down to earth, she had her battles and she fought back and I felt like she triumphed in the end. She did so much good for so many people that needed her help, and that is rare these days. When she died I cried like a baby with my family. We were so shocked and I really took the pain of it to my soul. We all said, "Why? Why?" There is no answer to that and it leaves your heart feeling so empty and all over a beautiful lady that I never met. If God decides to finally send back someone from heaven because he felt their life was unfinished and they had so much more to give...I would want it to be her..!! May she always rest in peace.
Old 11-15-2019, 01:23 AM
Majesty

I believe she does rest in peace, whether on the island or in the family vault. The reason she was buried on the island was to prevent problems with the demented whom they did not believe would leave her grave undisturbed. With the estate security, they can at least feel a sense of peace and security, although the same would have applied to Frogmore as that too is fairly secure.

Charles Spencer built or renovated the memorial to Diana which is not on the island meaning visitors to the estate can stop and read and pay their respects. The island itself is still off-limits and will remain so for the foreseeable future.

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011...20_468x452.jpg

Tags
althorp, diana princess of wales, diana's death and funeral, dodi fayed, paris, prince charles, prince of wales, princess diana, westminster abbey