The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-15-2017, 10:05 AM
Majesty

In the eulogy during his sisters' funeral, the Earl made an attack on the media. The you can be sure it is pay-back time.

Old 01-15-2017, 11:19 AM
Heir Apparent

I find it hard to sympathize with Earl Spencer.

He did have that tour of Diana's things, so he did profit.
And that eulogy was very hypocritical. People who live in glass houses should not throw stones.

As for the quarrel with Diana, I think most readers tend to dismiss that. After all, Diana quarreled with just about everyone and then often reconciled later.

Old 01-15-2017, 12:25 PM
Majesty

To be fair, many Royal Houses which are lucky to have a good archive, organize exhibitions. At the moment there is a fabulous exhibition in the Netherlands about Queen Anna Paulovna née Grand-Princess of Russia, complete with clothes, jewels, artefacts, parts of her extensive dowry, even a Russian Orthodox mobile chapel the Queen used on her travels is exhibited.

Recently the dresses of the British royal family were exhibited. The monegasques have also organized exhibitions on Princess Gracia. There is just a lot of interest and the Earl maybe could make good use of the revenues to finance the arch-costly upkeep of Althorp, not only his but of course also Diana's ancestral house. So I do not have that negative vibe with exhibiting Diana's dresses and other artefacts.
Old 01-15-2017, 12:52 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
In the eulogy during his sisters' funeral, the Earl made an attack on the media. The you can be sure it is pay-back time.
I think it's time for the media to move on. A grieving brother and a very emotional time isn't something one can mess with.

A.W. TOZER
Old 01-15-2017, 04:49 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by anbrida View Post
I do feel the press treats Earl Spencer really bad. Every time they talk about him, they go back to the story Earl Spencer rejected Diana a summer house near Althorp. They treat that story like a death-sentence to him . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dman View Post
The media pretty much dance on Earl Spencer's tonsils every chance they get. If they're not having fun writing about his marriages, they're beating the same dead horse about him using Diana's memory for his own gain. They just won't stop.
Quote:
I think it's time for the media to move on. A grieving brother and a very emotional time isn't something one can mess with.
As another poster mentioned, "people in glasshouses shouldn't throw stones" and it is because of this that the media don't let up.

Earl Spencer famously took a very public swipe at both BRF's treatment of his "beloved" sister and at the media, referring to Diana as "the most hunted person of the modern age". Little surprise that with his continued high profile in anything "Diana", Earl Spencer is pounced on for his hypocrisy, when he, her "blood" relation, famously refused her refuge at the family estate citing the attendant inconvenient presence of police and press.

A close look at his own family lifestyle produces some very disturbing events. The BRF never publically acknowledged his using his sister's funeral as a stage and the media have never forgotten.
Old 01-15-2017, 04:58 PM
Majesty

I agree with your assessment, MARG. He did use his eulogy at Diana's funeral as a "bully pulpit". It was as though he was in the "anger" stage of grief and vented his feelings in a way that weren't helpful. In a way, he reiterated the idea that the tabloids were pushing during the week, that the Royal Family were cold and not taking care of the children--which certainly wasn't true. I think that the positive public response to his eulogy was because the press had already whipped the people up into anti-monarchist feeling. What Earl Spencer declared fit in with that narrative. My own view of the speech has certainly change in the last 20 years.
Old 01-15-2017, 05:13 PM
Imperial Majesty

Time for folks to move on. The media and others now use Lord Spencer has a boxing bag. Whatever he do and say is a cause for them to attack.

A.W. TOZER
Old 01-16-2017, 06:59 AM

Earl Spencer had explained two times that it was a dream which made him bury his sister on that small island on two occasions. One is in his book, "The Spencers: A Personal History of an English Family", Sep 2000. The other is in a 2012 TV interview.

Quote:
"I had a dream during the week between Diana's death and her funeral to bury her on the island here. And I asked my family and they all agreed that this was the right place for her to be. And then as you see, it is a very very beautiful place and it is private. And I can protect her." -- Charles Spencer's interview with China Central Television (CCTV1), July 31st, 2012.
But the bury place caused some controversy in 1998. It was revealed by a long time house keeper, the island was used to bury family's dog. Not pet dogs, but hunting dogs.

Quote:
Princess Diana is buried on land used for years as a pet cemetery and known to the staff at her childhood home as "Dog Island," a former housekeeper for her family said in an article published on Monday. The leafy Oval Island at Althorp, the Spencer family's rural estate, was used as a place to bury hunting dogs that belonged to Diana's grandfather Jack, Maudie Pendrey told The Mirror tabloid.

"I cannot believe Earl Spencer could be so heartless as to bury his sister in a dog burial ground," she told The Mirror. "It is a desecration." Pendrey worked for the Spencer family into which Diana was born for more than 22 years, the newspaper said. She told the paper she had seen some of the dogs' gravestones on the island, but that the stones were removed to make room for Diana's memorial. "I saw them. There were five dogs' gravestones with their names on them. They were about 2-1/2 feet high ... I understood there were other dogs buried there as well but without headstones."
http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/ex-...ery-1998-07-07
Old 01-16-2017, 07:36 AM

I have no idea why the first post disappear

Earl Spencer spoke on two occasions it was a dream which made him bury his sister on the small island. One is in his book "The Spencers: A Personal History of an English Family", Sep 2000. The other is in a 2012 interview.

Quote:
"I had a dream during the week between Diana's death and her funeral to bury her on the island here. And I asked my family and they all agreed that this was the right place for her to be. And then as you see, it is a very very beautiful place and it is private. And I can protect her." Charles Spencer's interview with China Central Television (CCTV1), July 31st, 2012.
However the, brutal site caused some controversy in 1998. A formal housekeeper, who worked at Althorp for 22 years, disclosed that the island was used to bury hunting dogs.

Quote:
The island has been portrayed as a tranquil, unspoilt haven - a fitting memorial to a much-loved icon.

The shocking truth, reveals former Althorp housekeeper Maudie Pendrey today, is that the Princess is buried on land used for years as a pet cemetery.

For decades, the family's hunting dogs were interred in the makeshift graveyard, known to staff as Dogs' Island.

Maudie tells how headstones marking up to five animals belonging to Diana's grandfather Jack were removed to make way for her memorial.

She says: "I cannot believe Earl Spencer could be so heartless as to bury his sister in a dog burial ground. It is a desecration."

It is ten months since the flower-decked iron gates of Althorp closed on the waiting crowd as the funeral cortege entered. Since that day, Maudie, 74, has kept a sad, angry silence.
https://www.thefreelibrary.com/THEY'......-a060667315
Old 01-16-2017, 07:33 PM
Majesty

We're on topic. Memories are discussed quite often in these forms. The Angry Earl's speech is part of history now.
Old 01-16-2017, 07:55 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 View Post
We're on topic. Memories are discussed quite often in these forms. The Angry Earl's speech is part of history now.
Right, but one can't keep trying to get back at the guy after nearly twenty years. Anyone still against the man over the emotions he expressed at the time, really have too much time on their hands.

A.W. TOZER
Old 01-16-2017, 08:18 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
None of us are the same people we were 20 years ago and a major factor here in remembering Charles Spencer's speech is to also keep in mind that people can and do totally out of character things when they've been hit by sudden grief.

We don't really know Charles Spencer, the man, other than what we've picked up through the media and the various things he's done over the years that have been publicized. What matters the most is that he's doing something to remember his sister by and that should be the focus rather than what his motives are.
Old 01-17-2017, 03:55 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
None of us are the same people we were 20 years ago and a major factor here in remembering Charles Spencer's speech is to also keep in mind that people can and do totally out of character things when they've been hit by sudden grief.

We don't really know Charles Spencer, the man, other than what we've picked up through the media and the various things he's done over the years that have been publicized. What matters the most is that he's doing something to remember his sister by and that should be the focus rather than what his motives are.
I think that CS is a hot tempered man who took swipes at the press and RF when Diana died, he was upset and angry and miserable.. he probably felt guilty for making difficulties about letting Di have a house, about ups and downs in tehr relationship. And he felt that her in laws had not cared for her enough and that the Press had hounded her.. so he hit out.
Old 01-17-2017, 04:32 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post

I agree. I do believe from reading a couple books that he has authored is that he is highly intelligent, scholarly and knows the history of Britain like the back of his hand. He has raised beautiful children who have so far managed to avoid the traps of children of wealth and privilege so far...drugs, scandalous headlines.

That counts for an awful lot, imo.

His speech in the Abby made me cringe, I felt it was terrible and out of place. But hey, if a sister I loved had died under similar circumstances the Earl's reaction probably would have paled in comparison to what I would have done.

The fact that he and Diana feuded and had had a falling out is beside the point. That's what siblings-especially in a fractious dysfunctional family like the Spencers-do. It does not mean that he did not love her deeply and that he had no right to be angry and to lash out, though the way he did it was unfortunate and ill-advised.

Lord Spencer's own messy personal life made him vulnerable- red meat for the press who went after him with a vengeance as payback.

But it doesn't mean that what he said about them was untrue at the time.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 01-24-2017, 11:34 AM
Majesty

Lady Kitty Spencer attends Schiaparelli show in Paris | Daily Mail Online
Old 02-07-2017, 04:28 PM
Imperial Majesty

@centrepointuk-
"Our lovely ambassador Kitty Spencer has joined us #UPQ17 Time to see who's been practicing their general knowledge...
https://mobile.twitter.com/centrepoi...48257397522432

A.W. TOZER
Old 02-07-2017, 04:53 PM
Courtier

Quote:
@centrepointuk-
"Our lovely ambassador Kitty Spencer has joined us #UPQ17 Time to see who's been practicing their general knowledge...
https://mobile.twitter.com/centrepoi...48257397522432
for a moment i thought she was princess madeleine .
Old 02-17-2017, 08:52 AM
Majesty

Diana's niece Kitty Spencer wraps up in camel coat | Daily Mail Online
Old 02-18-2017, 04:32 PM
Majesty

Lady Kitty Spencer stuns at Julien Macdonald LFW show | Daily Mail Online
Old 04-02-2017, 03:48 AM
Majesty

"Earl Spencer and his third wife, Karen, visited the National Portrait Gallery this week."

Tags
althorp, diana, diana princess of wales, diana's family, diana: a celebration, earl spencer, museum, princess diana